BowJangles 03-Feb-20
Mike Ukrainetz 03-Feb-20
Mike Ukrainetz 03-Feb-20
Mike Ukrainetz 03-Feb-20
Mike Ukrainetz 03-Feb-20
joebuck 04-Feb-20
Mike Ukrainetz 09-Feb-20
27-Jan-20
I'm 66 years young and recovering from Prostate Cancer. In 2018 I took my son on a trip to Africa which was a trip of a lifetime. I'm having a difficult time deciding what my next hunting adventure will be. Part of me wants an Elk hunt and part of me wants a Moose Hunt. Two outfitters I find intriguing are Mike's Outfitting and Ryk Visscher who are both out of Alberta.

Based on everything I've read I'd probably select Ryk's if I was just looking at Moose, but Mike's has a combination Elk and Moose that at least puts me in the game for both species.

I've had 2 unsuccessful Elk DIY bowhunting trips to Colorado and 1 unsuccessful outfitted trip to Ontario for Moose. I had a great time on all 3 trips even though I saw few Elk and Moose. I don't necessarily define success as harvesting an animal, but at the end of the day would like to have some real encounters/opportunities with the species I am hunting. I consider myself a novice when it comes to hunting Elk and/or Moose and having a great guide who I can learn from is high on my list of priorities.

I'm certainly not stuck on Alberta and open to your thoughts and suggestions on my next hunting adventure. Thanks for your input and suggestions.

27-Jan-20
If you have the coin, I’d go for Alaska moose. Good hunt there is likely pushing $20 grand

27-Jan-20
Also what style hunt. Run/gun vs treestand etc.

27-Jan-20
I have not hunted the Sanctuary with Ryk's outfit, but have hunted with him 2x. Once for Bear (shot a 20"r) and one moose in his north camp (moose every day, just couldn't put it together). He is a topnotch outfitter and from what I hear the Sanctuary hunt is very, very good hunt! I don't think you could go wrong there...have no experience with Mike. Good Luck whatever you decide! Kip

27-Jan-20
Is Ryk Visscher a Bowsite sponsee? If he is then it’s a difficult decision, if not then it tips to Mikes outfitting favor.

Support the sponsors.

27-Jan-20
I don't know Ryk so can't help you with him. I have hunted bears with Mike U. four times and have a 5th one booked. He runs a tight ship, has good guides (I think I've met all of them), and has good facilities. If you want a moose, I think he'd be a great choice and you'll likely get one. If you want a BIG moose, he's probably not your guy as he just doesn't have many big moose. Pretty sure he'll make that clear when you talk to him. I guarantee you he'll deliver exactly what he says he will, he's a no BS type of guy.

27-Jan-20
I'm open to all styles of hunting, although I'd like to do some Run and Gun as the majority of my Whitetail Hunting is tree stand hunting. Appreciate the feedback from everyone!

27-Jan-20
Good luck with your recovery. Check Mikes Outfitter Reports and book it.

27-Jan-20
I have been on the elk/moose combo with Mike. It is a great hunt with a real possibility of tagging both animals. The hunt is usually more in line with the elk rut and ahead of the moose rut. The size of the moose in his area make it unlikely you will tag a large bull......but what they lack in size they make up for in numbers.

27-Jan-20
Mikes if i were you

27-Jan-20
Can’t go wrong with either.

27-Jan-20
I have hunted with Ryk on many occasions, including 2 moose hunts. I recommend him highly. PM me if you want more info- we can talk on the phone.

Marc

27-Jan-20
I have hunted with Mike twice. 1st time was his early season treestand bow hunt. They have plenty of moose there but as others have stated a large moose is not likely, but possible. I took my moose on my 3rd morning. It is a very highly successful hunt and if you want a bull (any bull) you have about a 99% chance of a legit shot opportunity. I would recommend the 1st week. But in the end it will be very weather dependent. I recommend the 1st week for 2 reasons. 1, just like deer, first time in is your best chance. 2nd just like deer they use mineral licks early and taper off. Recently they have been spot and stalk and calling at times with good success as well. This hunt involves VERY long hours in a treestand. This is not 3 hours in and go home. 7 hrs in the morning, 6 in the afternoon. Long sits overlooking the same 50 yards. My shot was 20 yards, they gentleman the week after me took a bigger bull at 5 yards out of the same stand. Trust me your heart will pound out of your chest. These things are huge.

Mike has a very comfortable house you stay in. Never slept so good as I have in his basement. His guides are great. Even better once you get to know them. My guide for moose was Josh, my guide for rifle mule deer was Gerard. Talked with Kyle a lot as well. Not sure if Josh will be there this year as I believe he is taking another job, But I can assure you Mike has a system and those guys learn it and follow it. They really want you to be successful

All that said, dont count out Ryk. It totally depends on what type of hunt you want. Call both gentlemen up and discuss the hunt and accommodations. Some guys prefer a more rustic camp and different country.

Btw the elk/ moose hunt you discussed will be more of a run and gun hunt. They hunt hard and deep and are very successful on opportunity. That hunt usually has a couple year waiting list. Heck most of mikes hunts have a couple year wait. We waited 2 years to do a rifle mule deer hunt and were not disappointed. It was a dream hunt for my dad to kill a giant mule deer and he did that on day 2? 177" 4x4 weighing 310 pounds. Id recommend that hunt to anyone as well.

Feel free to Pm me if you need any more info. I'll tell you everything I can to help you make the right choice for you.

28-Jan-20
Check out Lloyd Clark with Pink Mountain Outfitters In BC. It’s hard to imagine that there are many any better.

29-Jan-20

Korey Wolfe's embedded Photo
Korey Wolfe's embedded Photo
I went with Ryk. I would be glad to discuss any of the details of the hunt with you via PM. As long as you don't plan to book one of the spots that Ryk has reserved for me, I will tell you all about my hunt; lol.

Biggest moose of the archery season for Ryk's archery camps, so I'd say this is the top end of what to expect, although I was told not to pass any moose. I had planned on hunting for a decent moose the first half of the hunt and then shooting any bull during the second half of the hunt, but I killed this one 40 minutes into the first morning!

29-Jan-20
I am booked with Ryk this October. I am beyond stoked

29-Jan-20
A brute. Wow

29-Jan-20

extremevft1's embedded Photo
extremevft1's embedded Photo
Ryk took good care of me in 2016! It was an awesome hunt!

01-Feb-20
I'm booked up with Ryk for 2021 in the sanctuary area. The main draw for me was Ryk seemed to be a bowhunter at heart so I felt like he was the obvious choice. Also, you're going to be hard pressed to find a bad review of his outfit even from folks that didn't bring a moose home.

01-Feb-20
How's your recovery going ? Had mine removed in November, mines been a slow recovery. Hope yours is going well.

01-Feb-20
Beauty bulls Korey and Matt.... I really like that sneak mount !!!

01-Feb-20
Mike is a hardcore bowhunter as well.

01-Feb-20
Hey bowsiters who spoke on behalf of my hunt, thanks!

Ryk is really a great guy and does an awesome moose bow rut hunt! Ryk has been a huge influence in bow hunting in Alberta, brought the only Pope and Young Convention to Canada, was the best President of the Alberta Professional Outfitters Society. Really a great guy and it takes several years as a resident to draw a moose tag for his area, fantastic hunt as far as I know. I would love to hunt the area myself!

Our elk and moose bowhunt is a rare chance to take both species in one hunt. For a hunter in great physical shape and used to hunting in jungly type woods along with maybe a longish, 50-60 yd open field shot is almost certain to take both animals. For the most part you just need to not miss and hit them in the right spot. We also do the hunts as a single species hunt for less money than the combo. Is there another place where you have a realistic chance to kill an elk and a moose with a bow? Love to know, actually...

01-Feb-20
Charlie and Bighorn...Recovery is slower than expected, but I'm doing fine. Still leaking a little, but 2 PSA Blood tests indicate no cancer. I was going to go back to Africa this August, but late last year decided against it just because I'm not 100%. Looking at 2021 for my next big adventure.

I haven't talked with either Mike or Ryk as I wanted to get some feedback before talking with them. I really do appreciate all the comments I've received. The good news is it sounds like I can't go wrong with either of them. I've only received 1 negative comment and that was via a private message. Like I said in my original post, I'm not stuck on Alberta and open to other options, especially as it relates to elk. Thanks for all the feedback!!!

02-Feb-20
Sounds like a guy cant go wrong with either of them

03-Feb-20
Mike, for an outfitter to pat another outfitter on the back speaks volumes about you and your character. It's always good to see hunters supporting each other. Bravo sir!

03-Feb-20

Mike Ukrainetz's embedded Photo
Halfway through the elk and moose combo hunt
Halfway through the elk and moose combo hunt
Moose success soon after bow repair
Moose success soon after bow repair
Dave’s elk kill
Dave’s elk kill
2019 hunter Dave Anderson went from a broken bow to success! The guide on this hunt, Gerard, got Dave’s bow fixed in Grande Prairie and got him back in the field to take two critters!

03-Feb-20
And Dave’s buddy Mark Dunahoo took an elk on the same hunt with guide Kyle Mudge. Mark didn’t try to fill his moose tag and happily hung out in camp the last couple days.

03-Feb-20
Thanks bojangles! There are lots of travelling hunters out there for all the good outfitters. I don’t see other quality outfitters as competition. I do hate to hear about hunters getting ripped off by crappy outfitters so I’m happy to help steer guys in the right direction.

03-Feb-20

Mark’s elk
Mark’s elk

04-Feb-20
Talked with Mike today and came away impressed. He explained his different hunts and did a good job of describing all the pro's and con's of the different hunts as well as Mike's Outfitting. For example, he did not think the elk hunt would be good for me unless I have a complete recovery and then I must consider myself in excellent shape for my age.

In a post above, Mike gave praise to Ryk Visscher. During my call Mike even gave me two additional Alberta Outfitters that he thought might be additional options for a rut Moose hunt. I came away impressed and my call just supports all the positive feedback on Bowsite and the internet about Mike's Outfitting.

09-Feb-20
Thanks Joe! We really do try to make sure each one of our hunts is the right one for you. And if we don’t have it I’m glad to send you in the right direction of another good fellow outfitter. Good luck!

We do have one moose only Bowhunt still open for this fall for $6500. Almost 100% chance of getting a good opportunity or two or more on a decent bull. Sept 7 to 14. Call or text me if interested 780 864 7736

• Sitka Gear