wytex 29-Jan-20
altitude sick 29-Jan-20
altitude sick 29-Jan-20
AaronShort 29-Jan-20
Knife2sharp 01-Feb-20
WHOCARES 01-Feb-20
WHOCARES 01-Feb-20
28-Jan-20
Didn't want to hijack the head boiling thread. Do you put a sealer on the skull when you have it cleaned up?

28-Jan-20
I use hydrogen peroxide that they use to bleach hair and do not seal but I suppose you could.

28-Jan-20
No needed

28-Jan-20
Not usually, but on horned game, antelope, bison, sheep ect... I will put a light coat of mop and glow on the horns, seals them up and gives a light sheen... You can use on the skull too if you like.. will give a wet look.. easily removed with soap and water if you don't like it

28-Jan-20
I've heard some type of sealer can keep oil from leaching out over time and yellowing the bone. That said I've never sealed mine and have had good luck with slow simmer, long soak with Dawn dishwashing soap, pressure wash spray and the peroxide crème identified above. Have remained nice and white for years.

28-Jan-20
I've done some leaving plain and others using a clear lacquer. I prefer the laquer. Looks a lot better over time.

28-Jan-20

altitude sick's embedded Photo
I use kilz

28-Jan-20
Thank you all for the feedback! Kilz is an interesting idea.

28-Jan-20
Mop & Glow. It smells good and seals the pours on the bone.

28-Jan-20
I use a Krylon ivory colored spray paint in a non-glossy finish... Tried it when one of my skulls ended up stained a splotchy, and I liked the way it looked so much I finish them all with spraypaint.

28-Jan-20
I'm not a fan of the ultra white colour that coatings leave. I prefer the natural sun dried look.

28-Jan-20
Thanks for the additional ideas.

29-Jan-20
Satin finish polyurethane, spray, or watered down Elmer's glue. We live in a very dry climate and the skulls will split at the sutures if not sealed.

29-Jan-20

I have used flat spray paint. But now prefer Kilz premium. It doesn’t smell like regular Kilz.
I have used flat spray paint. But now prefer Kilz premium. It doesn’t smell like regular Kilz.

29-Jan-20

29-Jan-20
If properly de-greased they wont turn yellow.

01-Feb-20
I use Polycrylic satin in the spray can, just one coat. After I've spayed it, I rotate the head around for a minute or two, the I hang the rack by the antlers so anything remaining settles forward. After it dries you may get a bit that pools at the tips of the nose bones or upper jaw. You can just peel them off. The Polycrylic absorbs nicely and doesn't leave a layer of clear coat. Having it absorb into the bone helps seal it.

01-Feb-20

WHOCARES's embedded Photo

01-Feb-20

• Sitka Gear