JTreeman 28-Jan-20
Bliz6 29-Jan-20
Rob Register 30-Jan-20
kscowboy 30-Jan-20
Medicinemann 30-Jan-20
Mertyman 31-Jan-20
Nick Muche 31-Jan-20
28-Jan-20
I know he does mainly bear and goats, but does anyone have experience hunting blacktails with this outfit?

28-Jan-20
I think that is Paul Chervenak. Assuming it is you won’t be disappointed with Paul. He is 100% squared away and a real bad ass. Detail oriented to a T. Damn fine outfitter, and you will be hard pressed to find a better guy in the business.

That said his deer have been hit kinda hard the last few years and when I talked to him last month he is unsure how they will fair this winter. But he will be straight with you about it, and won’t take you if he doesn’t think it will be a quality hunt. I hunted with him in 2017 (?) and we had good chances despite horrible weather.

—Jim

28-Jan-20
Not sure Paul Chervenak does deer hunts himself unless it's an add on to a fall bear or goat hunt but Cole Kramer, one of his bear guides, does deer hunts in addition to the goats and bear hunts. He runs his own outfit under Kramer's Kodiak Guide Service. And Cole knows his stuff for sure.

28-Jan-20
Paul and Cole are both excellent. I believe Paul may run a few deer hunts late out of his cabin, but the deer are taking a hit like they did the winter of 16. He'll be straight up with you.

28-Jan-20
Paul does a few deer hunters when the hunting is good. I don’t think he really advertises it or anything, and it may be kinda a more “by invitation type deal”. We kinda had an inside track with him, so I’m not sure exactly how he does the deer hunts.

—Jim

29-Jan-20
Paul is great! PM me if you want to discuss in detail.

-Bill

30-Jan-20
I hunted deer and bear with Paul and Cole in 2018. Great guys, top notch operation.

30-Jan-20
Shared bear camp with Bill a couple of evenings hunting with Paul. Paul is a no BS kind of guy and is a straight shooter. Cole has been a friend for years and I wouldn’t hesitate recommending him either.

Biggest thing is to keep your eyes on the Kodiak winter. A winter kill could hit the reset button on the deer and even the best outfitter and guide might struggle to find quality bucks and deer in numbers. The good outfits will be transparent about the deer numbers.

30-Jan-20
Years ago, I had a brown bear bowhunt booked with Paul a year or two in advance. A cancellation hunt came up (with a different outfitter) on short notice, so I booked it....and killed a brown bear on the first day. When I got home, I called Paul and told him of my successful hunt.....and before I could even mention it, he asked me if I would like to have my deposit refunded. THAT is a stand up guy in my book.

31-Jan-20
Thanks for all of the responses here and the PMs.

Ron, you mentioned the deer are taking a hit like the winter of '16. Is that everywhere on the island so far this year, or do you mean in Paul's area specifically?

31-Jan-20
North side of island is getting hammered with snow. Won't really know how bad it will be until March/April. Headed to the south end in a few weeks and hope to see good things. I don't personally believe it will be all doom and gloom like many seem to think... If you want to go hunt Sitka's, just go, there will be deer to hunt and most likely some really nice bucks.

• Sitka Gear