TD 06-Feb-20
Paul@thefort 12-Feb-20
SBH 12-Feb-20
Paul@thefort 12-Feb-20
SBH 12-Feb-20
SBH 12-Feb-20
Paul@thefort 13-Feb-20
29-Jan-20
Well, not really a goose on a stick, but how about a goose with a stick! I was ready to end the goose hunt last week with a great day hunt of 5 geese but then a couple of you stated, "Hey Paul, time to get out the recurve bow". Well I took that not as a request but as A CHALLENGE.

SO LET THE GOOSE WITH THE STICK STORY BEGIN! Oh sure, what are the odds this is going to happen?

29-Jan-20

Paul@thefort's embedded Photo
So as usual, I am set up by 7:25 am. but this time, not the compound bow but with the Great Plains Recurve. I moved the decoys in closer, the farthest one, 15 yards. Need to have the geese land recurve close.
So as usual, I am set up by 7:25 am. but this time, not the compound bow but with the Great Plains Recurve. I moved the decoys in closer, the farthest one, 15 yards. Need to have the geese land recurve close.
First critters I see are these two young mule deer bucks heading to their bedding area next to the pond.
First critters I see are these two young mule deer bucks heading to their bedding area next to the pond.
and then a few geese start to fly. One can tell the flocks that might come in as they are lower and circling. These were heading away.
and then a few geese start to fly. One can tell the flocks that might come in as they are lower and circling. These were heading away.
Ten minutes later, geese right over head and lower, circling. They hear the calls and see the decoys.
Ten minutes later, geese right over head and lower, circling. They hear the calls and see the decoys.

29-Jan-20

Here is what the geese see as they near the decoys 100 yards out.
Here is what the geese see as they near the decoys 100 yards out.
50 yards out
50 yards out

29-Jan-20

25 yards out and wings set
25 yards out and wings set
feet down to land 18 yards from the blind
feet down to land 18 yards from the blind
Three geese within bow range at 18 yards. I am scrambling to put the camera down, then to pick up the STICK.
Three geese within bow range at 18 yards. I am scrambling to put the camera down, then to pick up the STICK.
These geese must have read the script! PS, this picture is from a few years ago and across the pasture but shows recurve inside the blind as like this morning.
These geese must have read the script! PS, this picture is from a few years ago and across the pasture but shows recurve inside the blind as like this morning.

29-Jan-20
"Goose on/with a stick"...……………………………………..I LOVE it! : )

GOOD LUCK Paul, I'm "hunting" vicariously thru you! ;-)

29-Jan-20

Arrow ready, I pick out the closest one, draw and release.
Arrow ready, I pick out the closest one, draw and release.
WACK., love that sound. Challenge met!
WACK., love that sound. Challenge met!

29-Jan-20

other geese high tail it out !
other geese high tail it out !

29-Jan-20
You are having a great year Paul!

29-Jan-20
YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! GREAT shot Paul! And Congrats! : )

29-Jan-20
Alright Paul was that fun or what. Great job. Thanks for sharing I wish a landowner would let me hunt. I tried 10 homes and no was the answer. Bummer

29-Jan-20

A 3 bld Montec broad head was used
A 3 bld Montec broad head was used
Chase's turn for some action as he was in the truck waiting
Chase's turn for some action as he was in the truck waiting

29-Jan-20

Fun stuff for sure and with my best hunting buddy--Chase the wonder dog! I can just see an action figure movie in the future! :)
Fun stuff for sure and with my best hunting buddy--Chase the wonder dog! I can just see an action figure movie in the future! :)
So there is the rest of the story, a goose with a stick. Also the end to this year's Yard Hopper hunting series. Stay tuned, for a turkey story in the near future. Thanks for following and remarks
So there is the rest of the story, a goose with a stick. Also the end to this year's Yard Hopper hunting series. Stay tuned, for a turkey story in the near future. Thanks for following and remarks

29-Jan-20
Awesomeness! Way to go Paul and Chase the wonder dog! Love the stick bow action, you da man!

29-Jan-20
Outstanding Paul, what a wonderful hunting season.

Thanks for taking us along, Bob

29-Jan-20
Good stuff Paul!

29-Jan-20
Very nice Paul...congrats on meeting the challenge!

29-Jan-20
Sooooo cool. Thanks for sharing!!

29-Jan-20
Very cool, congrats on a great goose season!!

29-Jan-20
Congrats Paul. You and Chase make a great pair. Thanks for everything you share with us.

29-Jan-20
Never a disappointment Paul ! The Yard Hopper threads are my favorite threads of all on Bowsite, but I’ll be looking forward to the turkey hunts too. Give Chase an extra treat for all the fans on Bowsite !

29-Jan-20
Way to go Paul! That was awesome!

29-Jan-20
You are awesome Paul!!!

29-Jan-20
Yea guys, hell of a goose year with the bow in hand. Started off slow but sure gained momentum later. That five goose limit last week was a goal I sort of was trying to do, but this morning's stick bow goose made the hunting season, prime.

Just like a few years back when I had the recurve in hand, that goose just sailed right in to within 10 yards and then, I actually hit it! and , Like this morning, "I actually hit it".

Fun stuff and I am glad you guys followed along. I am going ice fishing.

Oh, I looked up Goose Breast Burgers recipe. and will be making a few for tonight. I'll let you know how that turns out. my best, Paul and Chase the wonder dog.

29-Jan-20
Thanks for sharing and a great season you had Paul. I always enjoy this thread!

29-Jan-20
I'd never bet against you, Paul...you'd have to be a fool to do so!

29-Jan-20
Congratulations Paul on a Fine Goose Season with the Bow, the other day with the 5 Goose limit was awesome. Then to finish with the Recurve just that much better. ( I'm a stick bow shooter myself). We'll be waiting on the story of your next adventure, keep after em.

Kurt

29-Jan-20
Awesome Paul thanks for the stories!

29-Jan-20
Still my hero...

29-Jan-20
Very, very cool Paul! Thanks for sharing your pursuits with us.

29-Jan-20
Stickbow goose, ended it in style!

29-Jan-20
Way to go!

29-Jan-20
Great job Paul and Chase! Thank you for taking us along again!!

29-Jan-20
Congrats ,thanks for sharing and looking forward to some turkey hunt stories.

29-Jan-20
Sweet!!!! Now you can go ice fishing. Lol

29-Jan-20
Thanks Paul you are THE MAN!!!!!!

29-Jan-20
That's awesome, challenge met. Congrats, I have a hard enough time hitting a deer with my recurve.

29-Jan-20
Thank you so much for Posting . You are a true inspiration to us all!! Hunter

29-Jan-20
Paul I always enjoy these threads. What an accomplishment!!! Sometimes it is hard enough to hit them with the shotgun let alone get them to land and shoot them with a stick bow. Congratulations. You are an inspiration to us all.

29-Jan-20
RT, yea, getting them to land within bow range is the hard part. Both times I was successful with the stick, I moved the decoys within 15 yards of the blind, and then hoped one would land within 20 yards. It has worked both time.

I was lucky this morning, these three yard hoppers were the only geese to come to the decoys and land. I stayed another hour and while more geese flew over, none came to the decoys or pasture. Every day hunting i find the geese can change their flight patterns and where they want to feed. That day where I killed 5 geese, they broke all of the rules and many came in. I still shake my head over that day. A day to remember for sure.

Thank you all for the nice comments. Paul

29-Jan-20

Ok, had goose burgers for dinner this evening
Ok, had goose burgers for dinner this evening
pan seared and then cooked med
pan seared and then cooked med
on toasted bun and topping choices
on toasted bun and topping choices

29-Jan-20
Goose Burger. So what do Tricia and I think of this new meat burger. Yes, we would eat it again. It does not taste like beef, elk or deer meat because it is not them. What it is, is goose meat but with a variety of ingredients. So here is the recipe.

Ingredients" 1 tbs all purpose flour, 1.2 tsp salt, 1/2 tsp ground pepper, 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes, 2 cups ground goose breast filets ( 4 goose breasts ground), 1/2 cup ground pork, bacon or fatty beef (I used 4 small pork chops),1/2 cup shredded cheese of you liking (we added cheddar cheese (melted or not) as a topping), 1/4 cup minced onion, 3 garlic cloves minced, 1 egg beaten, olive oil, buns and tippings of your choice.

I use our food processor to grind up the goose breast and pork meat. Grind sparingly.

Instructions: 1. Combine the flour, salt, pepper and red pepper flakes. Sprinkle in the mixture evenly over the the ground meat and mix well. Add the cheese, onion, garlic and egg and mix well again.

2. Form into 4 balls and pack lightly. Press into 3/4 inch thick patties, lightly coat with olive oil. I also coated the pan with olive oil while cooking. ONce seared or grilled, turn down heat until med, or med rare as not to over cook. Place on buns and add toppings.

So there you go another recipe for goose. I have done jerky, baked breast goose and now goose breast burger.

29-Jan-20
Congrats Paul, very cool.

29-Jan-20
Great job again Paul!!!

30-Jan-20
Never ceasing to amaze!

30-Jan-20
Adams, Crazy stuff for sure. Take on the challenge, move the blind, practice with the stick the evening before, next morning set up, three geese land within stick range, I get pictures, release the arrow, kill one, hunt over, not 8 am yet, time for breakfast, gather up the decoys, take down the blind and head home only 10 minutes away, do the story on Bowsite, and all before noon. Ya gotta love it when a plan comes together.

But then, this hunt was like many other for a variety of species, being in the right place at the right time, fingers crossed and then a ton of luck.

30-Jan-20
Paul, I am worrying about Chase having "hunting withdrawal" anxiety after you two's great success. Does he have a role in your turkey hunting ?..........Bob

30-Jan-20
Wow Bob, never thought about it that way, ie, doggie hunting withdrawal. I am sure somewhere here in Ft Collins is an animal shrink that I can take him to. Maybe one for me too as turkey season is more that two months away.

No, no role in turkey hunting but he is glad to see me when I return, Does that count?

my best, Paul

01-Feb-20
How are you going to “up the ante” for next year’s goose hunts? Maybe shoot em left handed??!!

Congrats on another great goose season, Paul! Thanks for sharing it with us, & good luck with the ice fishing. Let us know when the “Chase the Wonder Dog” action figures are available for purchase! ;-)

01-Feb-20
Thanks for taking us along with you and Chase. Congratulations. You are an Inspiration.

01-Feb-20
Troy, I am going to have to think hard about, how to "up the ante". Maybe I will place a SUGGESTION BOX, here on Bowsite for ideas on how to do that.

I take Chase out to the goose pasture for a run every day, and have not seen any geese around for the past 4 days until yesterday , and they were right there in front of the blind area. Those DOTs really work :) and I even thought I saw one goose with a beer flask, not sure but it looked like it when they took off but then I was looking into the sun.

Thanks all for the kind comments and following along.

Chase the wonder dog bobblehead?????? Now that is a possibility! my best, Paul

01-Feb-20
Wow. What a way to close out..... hope the ice fishing is as good.... but, you know what they say....

never say never. =D

Thanks for takin' us Paul. Again.

02-Feb-20
Tom, if you had something like geese on the Big Island, Chase and I would surely make the trip over the big pond and give them a try. Got any suggestions? my best, Paul

06-Feb-20
Hey Drycreek, I bet you also have a dog at home. my best, Paul

06-Feb-20
Paul, we actually do have geese here. But you kill one you might get less time if you robbed a bank!. A golfer killed one not long ago and got time for it if I remember, along with a $10,000+ fine. Nene geese. Look kind of like a speck. They are "native" geese biologists think got caught in a big mainland storm thousand years ago and were blown far out to sea. Lucky geese, not easy to find these dots of land in the middle of the pacific. (There are no real "native" animals in Hawaii..... haven't been above the water long enough. Everything here came from somewhere else. Including Hawaiians. )

My GSPs locked up on point once this year, but it was odd as they kept looking back at me, kind of "asking" me what to do? I moved in ready to shoot and it was a flock of nene! Wasn't easy to get the girls off them! They never flew, just hissed like crazy, maybe molting or nesting?. They do "honk" but not near as vocal as the mainland geese I grew up hunting. We bird hunt at near 6000 feet and higher. Nene mostly live high on the mountain, 4000 feet and higher. Several flocks in the crater at 10,000 feet.

WRT bringing Chase..... that requires an act of congress just about. It's easier now than it used to be, but still reams of paperwork.....

Might leave Chase but bring your bow. We can get you on lots of other stuff....... =D

12-Feb-20
Gee Tom, come to the big island and bow hunt. Sounds like a dream vacation. Are there bow seasons for deer, goats and pigs. and when is the best time to come? Paul

12-Feb-20
I missed this thread the first time around! Heckuva go Paul! That’s not easy.

12-Feb-20
Matt, also check out Yard Hopper hunt 15, with a 5 goose limit. Fun stuff and I am glad you found it the second time around. my best, Paul

12-Feb-20
Paul, I saw you go for the five spot! Just missed the recurve action.

12-Feb-20
heckofa fun season for you

13-Feb-20

that recurve goose was just icing on the cake. Fun for sure. my best, Paul

Here is the picture of the very first recurve goose two years ago. Of the 80 plus geese I have killed with the compound bow, the two with the stick, stand out the most.

• Sitka Gear