Medicinemann 30-Jan-20
RK 30-Jan-20
Barrera 30-Jan-20
JSW 31-Jan-20
HDE 31-Jan-20
29-Jan-20

JSW's embedded Photo
JSW's embedded Photo
I brought up the private land oryx bow hunt in New Mexico early last fall. We are conducting the first hunt next month. I had a number of people express interest but I don't know how to go back to old PM's that have aged out so I'm starting over. There are 5 spots and one guy just backed out so the first one who commits to this gets to go. We will hunt Sunday, February 16 through Saturday February 22. We provide lodging and food and a place to hunt. The ranch gets private land vouchers so the tag is OTC. The price of the tag is not included. The cost of the hunt is $2500 for 7 full days of hunting. This hunt will focus on hunting from ground blinds and stands at water tanks. We have some blinds already set up and are getting steady trail camera pictures of oryx coming to water. I wouldn't be doing this hunt if I didn't think we had a fairly good chance at getting shots. I spent a week on the ranch in September and again in January. It is an either sex hunt and you have the option of filling your tag with a rifle at the end of the hunt. PM me your email address and I'll send you an info sheet on the hunt.

29-Jan-20
If I didn’t already have a hunt that week I would be writing the check right now!!!!!

—Jim

29-Jan-20
I would take that in a hart beat if it was a week or 2 earlier

29-Jan-20
Estimate of the cost for the LO Voucher?

29-Jan-20
The LO tag is $1,610 and then you need a $65 game hunting license and a $4 habitat management.

I’m going down on this hunt as one of the four that are currently in.

It will be a good one!

29-Jan-20
Damn I was in if they threw in the $4! :-)

I would love to do this hunt if I had the $$, what a great opportunity for someone!

29-Jan-20
Yeah, a bit spendy.

But I have wanted to kill an oryx with a bow for a really, really long time.

This is the best opportunity that I’ve seen.

29-Jan-20
Cheaper than RSA and right close by so you can keep the meat, If you're not going to get a mount done, then definitely tan the hide for a rug. They are beautiful!

If I didn't have one already, I'd definitely join the group!

29-Jan-20
Probably the first bowhunt in NM for Oryx that I know of. I’ve killed 4 with a rifle. 2 on range and 2 off and have always wanted to try it with a bow here but not possible on the White Sands hunt. Private land is the best option for a bowhunt and it’s a great deal considering the cost on another well known ranch. Good luck guys!

29-Jan-20
PM sent.

29-Jan-20
Why is it not possible with a bow on White Sands? Is it firearms only hunt, or the terrain not conducive to bowhunting?

29-Jan-20
T You are allowed to bowhunt on the range but it is very tough. No scouting, only a 2 day hunt and lots of people driving around keeping them moving. It would take a lot of luck to get one on the range with a bow.

I've been determined to find a way to bowhunt them in a way that gives you a decent chance of success. The only real option is to draw one of the month long off range tags and spend a couple of weeks hunting them hard or find a ranch to hunt on. This ranch has lots of oryx and I've been working on this since September. They are reasonably consistent going to water and we have some good spots already set up. I'll let you all know how the hunt goes.

29-Jan-20
Thanks Jim. Good luck to your entire group!

29-Jan-20
This looks like a great opportunity.

It definitely is not the only bowhunt in New Mexico, but I suspect the odds of success will be significantly higher. At this point, I wouldn't be surprised if someone had managed to kill an oryx with a bow on WSMR. I came very close back in 2003 when they first started allowing archery as a legal method of take for those hunts. I was inside 40 yards and halfway drawn when it spooked. Rifle or bow it's a fun hunt and great meat.

29-Jan-20
Dang that looks like a great hunt. That will be on my list for the future. I like the idea of getting the meat unlike in Africa. Those are great looking animals.

29-Jan-20
This is by far the best chance for someone to kill an oryx free range in NM with archery tackle. If it's the same ranch I've been on, yes, there are as many oryx on it as there is on WSMR.

The $1610 is the price of a NR tag.

30-Jan-20
Damn the luck for me anyways!

Yes, I was 1 of the guys that reached out to via PM.

I'm right in the middle of my 3rd and last bathroom remodel, here at my home, so I'm kinda tight $$$ and tight on time!!

Have fun!

Good luck, Robb

30-Jan-20
Hell Robb, sounds like you already have two other bathrooms, but do have an Oryx? :-) I love playing devil's advocate!

30-Jan-20
Hell!

Cheaper than a Super Bowl ticket!

And a lot more fun:-)

30-Jan-20
Edited

To stay on topic

30-Jan-20
And it lasts longer than 4 hours.

30-Jan-20
I do not believe PnY currently recognizes any animal not native to North America. Assuming Oryx and Aoudad are recognized by SCI? Maybe that is the place for them?

30-Jan-20
Edited

To stay on topic

30-Jan-20
This hunt sounds like a great opportunity. Will be following.

As for P&Y recognizing oryx, it is definately a native/non-native issue. Oryx are not native to North America. Moose, elk and mountain goats are. Not that difficult to understand.

30-Jan-20
Good lucks guys! Can’t wait to see how this hunt goes. I drew an off-range tag last year but used a rifle. This is definitely the way to get one with a bow.

Lenny

30-Jan-20
Edited

To stay on topic

30-Jan-20
Huntcell the point you are missing moose and mt goats are both native to North America even if they are introduced in some parts.

30-Jan-20
Intentionally missing the point to further an agenda no doubt.

30-Jan-20
Edited

To stay on topic

To stay on topic

30-Jan-20
Hunt. There are record books for everything. The separation between native and non native is a good thing

For example you can kill a Fallow Deer in South Africa but it can't be registered in the Rowland Ward record book of African Game

Really pretty simple and should remain that way

30-Jan-20

30-Jan-20
Why don't you guys start a new thread to argue what P+Y accepts and doesn't accept? This is nonsense cluttering up Jim's thread with this BS.

I'm looking forward to seeing the results of this hunt and hopefully doing this hunt in 2021.

30-Jan-20
I agree!

Deleting my previous post before it goes down the rabbit hole!

Gonna be a top shelf experience and hunt guys. Hands down!

30-Jan-20
Treeline

I bet you are right about that. Looks like a great experience For sure. Hope all that go on it come back and give the rest of us the hunt report. That should be some great reading

30-Jan-20
Oryx are probably my favorite North American animal to hunt.

They are just plain cool.

30-Jan-20
Having never hunted Oryx (Gemsbok) or Nilgai, I would like to know which animal tends to be the larger of the two?

30-Jan-20
Nate they are cool. Just not North American

My favorite are Aoudad and Iranian Red Sheep

30-Jan-20
It would be awesome if NM created a archery draw for oryx off range. Kinda like they did for Barbs. It would definitely be in my app every yr.

31-Jan-20
I've hunted both oryx and nilgai and I think they are about the same size. You would have to put them side by side to tell the difference. They taste about the same as well.

31-Jan-20
Robert, yes, they are not native to the Americas.

They are still my favorite animal in NA to hunt. Imports yes, but here nonetheless.

• Sitka Gear