Trophyhill 18-Feb-20
jdee 19-Feb-20
Drop Tine 23-Feb-20
goyt 23-Feb-20
Slam38 25-Feb-20
Drop Tine 01-Mar-20
Thornton 01-Mar-20
01-Feb-20
Headed to CO. This fall and need a boot. Thing is I don’t plan on needed them after this hunt so I don’t want to spend big money on boots for 10-15 days of hunting. Looking for good ankle support (bad ankle)and footbed and spend less than $200.00 is it possible?

TIA

01-Feb-20
Try cabelas Axis (waterproof). Work for me last year in Idaho. $129.

01-Feb-20
Yes it is. I wore the Salomon quest 4d gtx3 and was very happy with it. As suggested here you must try on different boots to see what feels best.

01-Feb-20
It might be possible but boots can make or break your hunt in the mountains. I would hunt with a cheap bow before I hunted the mountains in cheap boots. Everybody's feet are different so your feet might hate what another guy's feet loves. You need to try them on.

Personally I would add at least $100 to your boot budget and look at quality boots like HanWag, Lowa, Crispi, Mendle, etc and you'll be able to sell them on the Bowsite classifieds, eBay, etc for a decent price after your hunt if you don't need them anymore. But I'm guessing you'll be glad you spent the money and you'll keep them...

I've gotten lucky in the past and bought some good quality boots for around $200 in the Cabela's bargain cave, on Camofire and on sale on Campsaver.

01-Feb-20

JohnMC's Link
You should be able to use a good uninsulated GTX hiking boot outside of a elk hunting IMO. I hunt pheasants in the same boots I elk hunt in most of the time. I also think you should be able to find a good boot for $200. Look on sierra trading post at Asolo's. That is what I have hunted in for years (have had a few pairs). You should be able to find some there in $150-$200 range.

I hunted in the Neutron this season for elk and sheep. Put on well over 100 miles probably 200 and really liked. See link above. The link will show a number of pairs they have. Most are give or take 40% off retail.

01-Feb-20
"Thing is I don’t plan on needed them after this hunt" is something I hope you're wrong about. It's hard to go out west for and elk/deer hunt and never go again.

With a weak ankle you should be careful. You can sidehill a lot in the mountains and that can really get to you if you have marginal boots.

01-Feb-20
Solomon quest 4d. You’re welcome!

01-Feb-20
Irish Setter Elkhunters. Warm insulated, no break-in required. Can be had for around 200 bucks. As has been said though 300 bucks will get you a great boot. Don't skimp! Shawn

01-Feb-20
Good boots are priceless. Hurting feet can shorten a hunt! Problem with Salomon is they aren’t very durable. For elk hunting I prefer lowa tibets. Heavy loads and lots of miles. They are stiff and support ankles well. They will last you years too

01-Feb-20
If you have a bad ankle I would think about a 8 inch boot. R u going archery season or later? If your talking archery season. I would look into Danner proghorn uninsulated. I know a few guys that use them. You pretty much get about one season out of them then they start to leak. You can then use them around home or a work boot. I have a buddy that buys a new pair every fall for hunting and then turns them into a work boot. They seem to be pretty easy to break in, should in a 8-inch give you good ankle support. 8 inch boot seem to be a little less likely to give blisters. Price maybe right for you. Ed

01-Feb-20
What size are you Will ?? I’ve got a pair of Danner Rainforest in size 9 that would love to go hunting with you. Fully broken in but like new. Just send them back when you’re done.... I wore Danner Acadia’s on my only elk hunt (rifle) in Idaho... and they worked fine. I gave them to our camp wrangler when we were done... he had old boots and had an eye on mine.

01-Feb-20
I’ve worn Danner Pronghorns for probably 300+ days a year for over 15 years, and they are great work/light duty boots. Very comfortable boots, BUT I’d never consider wearing them for a steep mountainous hunt. They just don’t have adequate ankle support, IMO.

01-Feb-20
I wouldn't cut corners on boots. I would look for a decent fairly stiff 6 inch boot on sale to get close to that 200 mark ...... Crispi, Zamberlan, Iowa, Solomon, Scarpa ect ect.....

01-Feb-20
Buy used. I agree with the others. Buy top end boots. You can get great used boots, try ebay. Make sure they’re broke in or give yourself enough time to put 50 miles on them. Kenetreks or some of the other top boots. You can always sell them afterwards too

01-Feb-20
Solomon 4D, wear them for everything . Also lowa renagade.

01-Feb-20
I have a pair of Hanwag Alaska GTX that only have about 30 miles on them that I am looking to sell, if your interested, shoot me a PM

02-Feb-20
I found my Kenetrek hard scrabbles for $260 a few yrs ago (blackovis.com I think) I also like Keen, but they’re not for everyone...

02-Feb-20
Bad ankle in mountains? Hmmm well let's compare pricing of a broken ankle in the mountains. Rescue service, hospital, time off work amd possible stability for life. Sounds like a lot more than a three hundred dollar pair of good boots. I wouldn't skimp on boots, get the best you can afford, I'm sure you won't regret it and you'll wear them in the future.

02-Feb-20
How are the Hanwag Banks II GTX boots? I can get into them for a decent price at Optics Planet with their price and bonus bucks I have from previous purchases.

For those asking for most boots I’m a size 10.5 U.S.

02-Feb-20
Just searched on Backcountry.com

You can easily find good boots under 200.

02-Feb-20
Like some have said Salomon quest 4d gtx. They are the best pair of boots I’ve had but admittedly I haven’t hand any of the high end boots. The ankle lock system is awesome and they fit my foot like they were made for me. That said my foot is shaped like the ugly stepsister in Cinderella. If your foot is not narrow you might not like them. Whatever you buy, wear them as much as you can for two months before your hunt and you’ll be fine. You have to condition your feet more than the boots. I feel the quest are ready to hunt out of the box though. I wear mine everyday as work boots that’s how much I like them.

02-Feb-20
Lowa Renagade is my favorite boot. Short break in time and very comfortable.

02-Feb-20
I was looking for some lighter weight boots and I tried the Solomon Quest 4d but they just didn't fit my feet right and I didn't buy them. I went with Lowa Renegades instead. The Renegades are very comfortable but they're a little too soft for me for serious mountain hunting and packing. I've had 3 pairs of Lowa Tibets and they're very good but then I found the HanWag Alaska's which are very similar but they fit my feet better and I like the way the lacing goes a little closer to the toe. I also have Lowa Camino's which are a very good boot and fall between the Tibet and Renegade in regard to stiffness and support.

02-Feb-20
Danner Pronghorn

It's cute that you think you're going to go once.

02-Feb-20
Part of buying boots is the break in. If you are planning on wearing them once and don’t live in the mountains, make sure you don’t buy a pair of boots that require a lot of break in.

02-Feb-20
Love my keen uninsulated and they come in wide sizes.

02-Feb-20
Lowa Tibet’s gtx

02-Feb-20
Take it from me, you have to try them on before you buy unless you want to play the return game. Insoles are just as important.

03-Feb-20
That I know Marc. I’ve passed on some great offers here on used boots because I would be stuck with them if they don’t fit correctly.

I appreciate all the information and advice.

03-Feb-20
Buy size 9 1/2 Crispis and call me after your hunt for half your money back. Lol

03-Feb-20
I’ed be crippled for life in a 9.5 LOL

03-Feb-20
I've worn HanWags for years, Lowas a buch and just bought my 1st pair of Crispis, which I'm currently in love with. I really like the Lowa Renegades for comfort, but like Cheesehead Mike said and I totally agree, they are a great flatter country boot. Add a bunch of sidehilling and they prove too soft to keep your feet from wanting to re shape the sides of the boot. Insoles are key. I immediately throw away the stock insoles and install aftermarkets from Protalus. I've tried many and that is my current go to in my boots as well as my running shoes.

Choose wisely!! Lots of great advice here

04-Feb-20
I know some guys recommend Danner Pronghorns but I own a pair and agree that they are comfortable but I also feel they don't have enough support for serious mountain hunting or backpacking.

04-Feb-20
Hope I can help. I have put a similar post on here several times over the years. I have a super bad ankle and supinated foot which wears boots out in a year so I try to say in the $200 range. Problem is that I also need wide which wipes out a bunch of the recommended above. The best have been Meindl Ultralight. You can still find them on several sights. If you find them, buy two pair as not sure how long they will keep making them. The Meindl Outfitter is also ok, just not as high of a boot. I have Irish Setters, but would not use them for elk as don't take a beating well and not as much ankle support. Used to love Pronghorns, now they are junk. I have enough Ultralights for about 4 years and then will be posting this question again!

06-Feb-20
Hanwag boots on Camofire today half off at $179. Worth considering for a guy trying to stay under $200 for boots which I didn’t think was possible.

06-Feb-20
I like Saloman Quest also

06-Feb-20
I went to REI. And tried everything they had in my odd foot size. The Lowa Tibet and Vasque GTX both fit well. I bought the Vasque wished I had went with Lowa.

06-Feb-20
I’ve used Crispi Colorado boots for mountain hunting. They kept me dry and were very comfortable.

06-Feb-20
Another vote for Lowa Renegade...light, durable, and still waterproof after 3 years.

06-Feb-20
I've seen guys on the mountain in everything from Alpha Burleys to Nike airs to moccasins....... I imagine they survived the trip..... also know guys who's feet are so conditioned they can handle it easily. But for most of us, you want comfort or save a buck on what is likely a couple or three thousand dollar hunt? A tough mind and the right conditioning can get ya though a lot for sure.... and sometimes misery makes lasting memories.....

Honestly, I'm just trying to imagine a lifestyle where you'd never wear good boots again... =D

"Sale" boots tend to be like sale clothing....... "On sale! 28 and 42 waist sizes only"....

07-Feb-20
I picked up a pair of Asolo's last year before my Colorado trip. Sturdy, waterproof and comfortable and under $200. Sierra Trading.

07-Feb-20
Late to this thread...

I wore subpar boots this past fall in some pretty rugged elk terrain. Actually the boots were Danners and Wolverines. Broke in well and good for lesser mountains.

My right ankle is just now starting to heal, after 5 months. I stiil have the old boots, but now went with Crispis. Love 'em.

IMO - add another $100 to your budget and dont risk it.

07-Feb-20
What model Crispi you trying?

07-Feb-20
^^^ Crispi Guide's - Non Insulated GTX

I love em

07-Feb-20
Danner Grouse is my chosen pair of boots. I cheaper pair but heavier in weight yet tough as nails are the Hawthorne brand. Comfort all depends on the last they are built on. Danner lists what lasts their boots are built on.

18-Feb-20

bowman's Link
If you are looking for the hunting boots then I will advise you to check these website...

They have bunch of informating regarding the best boots such as:

https://outdoorever.com/best-hunting-boots/ https://shoeadviser.com/outdoor/best-hunting-boots/ https://outdoorempire.com/best-hunting-boots/

18-Feb-20
Crispi's. I wear Colorado's and Nevada's. Love them both.

18-Feb-20
Get a pair of boots that you can still use after for other stuff. I've been wearing Salewas but it took a few boots to find the right one. I can use them as an everyday wear if I want.

Finding a boot that can be used as a work boot later on, or a boot that can be used as an everyday shoe would be how I'd go about it. If you get a pair that doesn't go well with your feet you'll hate every step in them carrying weight. Especially if you're just looking for a disposable one.

18-Feb-20
Dyjack I think the opposite way. My boots are strictly for elk and deer hunting. I’d never use such a high end boot for work and mine never see pavement. As a result even though they cost $400 the tread is practically like new even though they are about 6-7 years old.

I believe in using the right tool for every job. Hunting boots are for hunting.

18-Feb-20
I have a pair of Herman survivors that I bought when I was a junior in high school. I out grew them in my Senior year . I can't bear to throw them away . I can wear them for a short time with very light socks. I was hoping my son would grow in to them but it never happened. I know it is silly but I have a pair of 50 year old boots in the closet. They are size 14 D.

18-Feb-20
I've used probably 20 different brands/styles in my elk hunting career. Some good, others not so much. Last year I bought a pair of Crispi Thors and scouted-hunted in them for about 50 days. Best boots I've ever owned, worth every penny.

For warm weather easy hunts I like Salomon GTX.

18-Feb-20
I agree, Mule Power. But if someone is going to only use them for one hunt, they may as well have more use for them later. Leather danners and what not are solid work boots after their hiking time is done. If it's going to be a yearly thing then I'd go with an awesome boot and it'll last forever if you're only using it for a 15 day hunt once a year.

I only use my good boots for hiking personally too. Wish I could keep track of how many miles are on them. I run salewa mountain trainers right now. Lava rock and deadfall hasn't been kind to any of the boots I've owned. They have lasted me the longest so far. So far averaging a 2 year lifespan on a pair of boots. Fingers crossed for 3 seasons in these. The mountain hiking is constant throughout the year for me though.

18-Feb-20
I'm still sporting my Miendl Cabela's from 2011and probably have another year or two left on them. I'll go with the Perfect Hunters next go round. The quality and durability is first rate.

19-Feb-20
Lowa Tibet GTX..... best boots for the very rough terrain around here I’ve ever owned.

23-Feb-20
If anybody is looking for Kenetrek Mountain Extreme 400. Mel’s trading Post in Rhinelander, WI. Has a great price on them right now. Unfortunately I couldn’t get my heel to lock into place with them and had to pass them up.

23-Feb-20
I think that Kenetreks are great boots for sheep and mountain goat hunting, I have 2 pair. For me they are too stiff and noisy for elk hunting. I go to elk boot is the Meindl Prefekt hunter. They supply adequate support for elk and they are a lot quieter. I also tried some of the shorter boots like the Crispi Dover and the Kenetrek Bridger Ridge and although they seemed lite and comfortable as soon as I got into more rugged terrain the lack of ankle support got tiring so I went back to the Meindls

25-Feb-20
If someone is looking for Crispi boots I have a pair of Colorado's that have been worn to a tree stand twice and realized they didn't fit my feet in 45.5 and a pair of thors that I wore on one trip that are 45 and too small for me. My feet are hard as crap to find a boot that fits. Loved the crap out of the Old style Solomon quest but the new ones hurt my feet . It is a real pain in the neck to try to find boots that fit . Let me know if any one is interested

01-Mar-20
I ended up ordering a pair of Crispi West River boots. Hopefully they’re equal to all the reviews.

01-Mar-20
I walked over 10 miles last year and packed out a big bull wearing 2 pairs of socks and uninsulated rubber boots. I usually wear rubber soled cowboy boots but the snow was too deep this year.

• Sitka Gear