Dink 23-Mar-20
Dink 23-Mar-20
spike buck 23-Mar-20
04-Feb-20

spike buck's embedded Photo
Wayne Stumf… June 2019
Wayne Stumf… June 2019
Spring 2020 will be our Families 46th year of offering Black Bear Hunting. Our Camp has 10 Bear Management Areas allowing us to move to new areas each year..... maintaining the high population of Bears.

Picture shows ONTARIO has the genetics to hit the record books!!! We will announce the score of our bears after I get the official records from our clients!!

04-Feb-20

Bobby Vlach and his 2018 trophy.
Bobby Vlach and his 2018 trophy.

04-Feb-20

Our bears stay in their den longer than most other areas as the snow pack will not recede until early May. Season begins in Ontario, May 1rst this year. We wont take any hunters till mid May. Because of late emergence of the bears out of their dens, average Spring body weights of our bears will be 180 to 190 pound. Of course the older ages of many of our bears taken, will show in their skull measurements. Many large bears are taken each year at our camp..... just like any other jurisdictions across Canada!!! No province is better than the other for trophy bears. Many outfitters are proud of their bears taken and have reason to be. Many have to justify the price of their hunts through claims of unofficial P&Y status. Pope and Young scorers I have had in camp the last few years, tell me only advertise a P&Y bear AFTER the paper work comes in the mail.

04-Feb-20
Yep all kinds of green scores out there ,the dry scores tell a different story that we mostly don’t hear of. The problem is when there dry and ready to officially be scored most guys don’t bother with it. In my camp anyways that’s why I like going by size of the bear ,skull size is just a crap shoot imo.

04-Feb-20

Chuck Hanlon.... 2016 Fall Bear!!
Chuck Hanlon.... 2016 Fall Bear!!
As Alex has just said.... But would be cool to see an official certificate such as this pic to accompany claims of any P&Y score by an Outfitter.

05-Feb-20
We now have a 10th bear management area assigned to Pine Acres Bear Camp. Signing papers today!!! Area is huge and ATV access only for the most part. Only 3 miles from camp. I'll post a map as soon as I get it downloaded.

05-Feb-20
The fact is only a tiny fraction of eligible animals of any common species are entered. Most people simply don’t care about the publication and validation. If someone gets a 19 1/4 green they know it’s not losing 1 1/4” and they have a bear they can call pope and young. That’s what they care about not getting it measured by some guy in a distant place sending in Affidavits and checks etc. if 10% of eligible animals are formally submitted I would be amazed

Maybe different for the more difficult and rare stuff like sheep goats polars grizz etc.

05-Feb-20
Thanks for your input Grant..... I remember Charlie telling me that he gave his bear the required drying time before he claimed it to be a P&Y. He also said it did not loose much during the drying period.

But, as an advertiser, I or anyone offering Bear hunts, should only claim a bear to be a P&Y only after the 60 day drying period, not the next day after the kill. I, or anyone else, would be misleading potential clients to instantly claim a trophy a P&Y....

13-Feb-20

Missouri Hunter... spring hunt
Missouri Hunter... spring hunt
We will be attending the Indiana Deer, Turkey and Waterfowl Expo in Indianapolis. Show starts next Thursday February 20 and runs till Sunday the 23rd. We will be at Booth # 358.

Show opens noon on Thursday, Friday and 10:00 am Saturday and Sunday....

Come check out what we offer for our 2021 Spring and Fall Bear Hunts. WE are currently booked up for our 2020 Bear and Whitetail hunts.

Semi Guided Bear Hunts.... baits will be active when you are shown your bait site mid day Sunday. Baiter / Guide will take you out to your site after going over trail cam pics of the bears active on the site. Before venturing out to your assigned site, we will explain what you need to know on sizing your bears. Will also go over regulations you will need to know. Will show you how to rebait your site as it will be up to the hunter to take over the baiting of his assigned site. We will supply more than enough bait for you to keep multiple bears visiting your site. It is important to ask questions and bait your assigned site the way baiter / guide explains it should be done. Much of your success will depend on it!!

Will also have to travel to baited sites with your own vehicle and if prearranged by your own ATV's. ***Our "NEW" large BMA is mostly ATV accessible. It will also be a "BOW ONLY AREA". WE will track and retrieve your bears with your help. Some hunters track and retrieve their own bears. Treestands included.

6-16 hunters per week Main Camp average 12... mostly bowhunters, 80% repeat hunters. Pine Acres Bear Camp has 10 LARGE BMA's. Lots of Bear Area for our hunters.

Hunt costs $1595.00 USD for 2021 Bear Hunts, plus tax and license. Skinning is $100.00 USD extra.

1-807-221-9793 or [email protected]

15-Feb-20
Chris, I will stop by and see you thursday to talk about next year

15-Feb-20

See you there Kirk....

Will be booking for winter wolf 2021 at the show also... $1695.00 USD.... Wolf hunt is our only "FULLY" guided hunt we offer. Includes outpost cabin and all meals. CITIES permit for trip home.

16-Feb-20

Pine Acres Camp...
Pine Acres Camp...

02-Mar-20

This "New" Bear Management Area is North East of Vermilion Bay. Mostly ATV access and will be used as a Bow Only Area to start. Pine Acres has the 2 BMA's East and 2 North of the New BMA. South is an unassigned BMA and west is all Private lands. One huge block..

02-Mar-20
Congrats on the new bma’s Chris. Hope everyone is doing well. Can’t wait to get back up there. How did your hunt in the states go this fall?

03-Mar-20
Congrats on the new area! Can't wait to start seeing trail camera pictures of bears hitting the baits this spring. See you in May

03-Mar-20
Dave, we did not tag out but had a lot of fun working the hounds. Others in the group tagged. Brandon, we will be using the new area this spring. We are looking forward to getting it all set up. See you this Spring!!

03-Mar-20
That’s what matters the most Chris. Can’t wait to see your spring bear pics. I’ve gotta get the hillbillies together and work out our next trip to see ya soon.

03-Mar-20
Hopefully, our group can christen the new area for you this May, spike buck!

03-Mar-20
There's a group of hillbillies coming this Fall Dave. New area is mostly ATV access T-roy, bring them if you have a couple. Need Registration from your state and helmets

03-Mar-20
ATVs only, or will UTVs work as well, spike?

03-Mar-20
UTV'S will work. The area is access by recently washed out roads. They don't plan on repairing them for a few years. Got the area from a fishing camp that has not used the area for a few years.

13-Mar-20

Brian Asher... Sept 20th, 2019.
Brian Asher... Sept 20th, 2019.
Spring Bear is just around the corner... Looks like its going to be an early Spring. Still have openings for Spring 2021. Week of June 6th 2021 is booked. Still a few openings for May 30th 21' still available, but not many.

Price $1595.00 for 6 days. Sunday to following Saturday. [email protected] or 1-807-221-9793.

13-Mar-20
that's a good price

13-Mar-20
looks like you're going to be picking up some business with the new nonresident landowner proposal taking place in 2021, sorry but I'm not a big fan of this

13-Mar-20
Fuzzy, one thing you have to keep in mind is that Pine Acres offers a semi guided hunt. Semi guided prices are lower because of what is not included. Yes Ontario has trophy Class bears for those who choose to be picky.... but unlike a guided hunt, you do not have a guide with you taking you to your baits daily and you must supply your own transportation. Semi guided allows hunters the satisfaction, that they play a big part in their own success!!

Pretty well all sponsors of Bowsite offer fully guided. The prices that they charge are warranted as the perks they offer come at a price. Success can at times, be higher at a sponsor who offers fully guided. Although we have many weeks where our "opportunity" success exceeds 95 - 100%!!

Now, we offer tree stands that are set up for bowhunters. We supply a fully modern cabin where the hunters do their own cooking. We do have a restaurant with in walking distance from your cabin. We will track and retrieve your bear with your help. Many choose to do their own tracking and retrieving. We have stand by set ups if needed. Sites will be baited as soon as we can get in the bush in the spring. We will give morning and evening discussions on what needs to be done by hunters to improve their success. WE will monitor Bait sets ahead of time so we can give you info on bears active at each bait site. *** We supply more than enough bait for each hunter to replenish his own site.

We now have 10 Bear Management Areas that we set up our baits in. We move as needed each year or 2 in order to put uneducated bears in front of our hunters. We spend a lot of money on bait.... we are not cheap baiters. My guides and I, like most bear outfitters, love our job conducting our bear hunts. If you have questions I encourage to ask on this thread or message me.

At Pine Acres Camp, much of the success depends on the hunters ability to maintain sites them selves after active sites are shown to them.

13-Mar-20
Alan (Tater) I get the feeling your a non resident land owner in Ontario?? I am very happy with the tags I have allocated. The new Non Resident Land owner rule will give more tags to outfitters who have large enough BMA's to enhance their business!!! Doug Ford is on the right track...

13-Mar-20
****So, just received a memo from out Outfitter Association, that the requirement of baits needing to be 200 metres from a roadway, have been eliminated. The baits now cannot be any closer that 30 metres of a roadway. The new Non Resident Land owner rules "WILL" indeed come into effect. Also, immediate non resident relatives of landowners "WILL NOT" be allowed to bear hunt without an outfitter.

*** BIGGEST NEWS*** the Ontario Spring Bear Hunt will proceed beyond 2020.

WE have a great Premiere!!! Doug Ford...

14-Mar-20

Trip to Winnipeg to get 26 bags = 1300 pounds of kernels.... Joe's job the first 2 weeks of April.

16-Mar-20
Still no change for US travelers via US / Canadian border crossings. Said, so far, not on the table!!! Just talked to our rep for Kenore district.

Side note... just had 2 hunters arrive from Ill. No problems crossing. They were asked 3 questions, do you have a fever, cough or been to Iran or China.

16-Mar-20

Rut Nut's embedded Photo
Rut Nut's embedded Photo

16-Mar-20
He did not close borders to US citizens.... still crossing the border. Most is the key word!! At the end of the Prime Ministers comments he said "Canada will close its borders to non Canadians, EXCEPT, foreign diplomats and US citizens!!!

17-Mar-20
Sorry- didn't listen to the entire thing- just assumed. And you know what they say about assuming...……………………………………. : (

17-Mar-20
It was also said that once you cross into Canada that you are to self quarantine for 14 days, so this will probably end all bear hunts if things haven't cleared up by then. I'm hoping things clear up because I have a trip booked, but I understand if it doesn't happen.

17-Mar-20
Yes Kevin, lets hope everything works out for the best. I am staying positive but we are also ready for the worst. Not the first time that a spring hunt has been scrapped or in this case a possible closing of the border, that we have had to deal with. ***Self quarantine if you have symptoms!!

17-Mar-20
Hey Chris- just thinking out loud here...………...……………………………. you have any out-post cabins where a hunter could self-quarantine for 2 weeks while hunting and fishing? If so, you might wanna start advertising a COVID 19 SPECIAL...…………………….. might be a bunch of guys that would look at it as an opportunity to get away from all this "craziness" for a couple weeks! ;-)

17-Mar-20
LOL... they are already self quarantined by being here. Once you cross the border there is no major city to drive through. Sounds good Rutnut but... They suggest self quarantine only if have symptoms. BESIDES, things will settle by then.

Any client booked for Spring 2020 can call me or email or message me. I am setting aside August 23rd, August 30 to 5th or the next week if any problems arise.

Our Fall bear hunts are very successful. But we will see what happens!! Any suggestions??

18-Mar-20
Just got a memo from our outfitters association..... the BORDER WILL BE CLOSING!!! We are being forwarned this morning...

18-Mar-20
That STINKS! Sorry to hear it...……………………………..

18-Mar-20
Trump says temporary!!

18-Mar-20
I agree Chris I think this will be temporary. Hoping that within a few weeks the restrictions will be throttled back. That being said, if worse case we can't get up there in June, I would be willing to come this fall...

18-Mar-20
THANKS Patrick, for all other PAC spring hunters, I suggest picking a week in the Fall..... if you don't need that week in the fALL good. But at least you are prepared to have your new dates!!! I doubt it will last long... the prime weeks in 2021 are already booked!!

FALL WEEKS ARE LISTED IN ABOVE POST!!

18-Mar-20
On the BRIGHT SIDE... our hunter bagged a wolf this morning!!!

18-Mar-20
They are saying cases won't peak for about 45 days here in the Northeast(US). That means we're probably looking at 90 days for most measures that are put in place.

I work in a hospital and we just got word yesterday that they are suspending all "non-urgent" outpatient treatments/visits for the next 90 days. Any new referrals will be scheduled +90 days.

18-Mar-20
I know I commented on it in the past, may have even posted a photo of the add from Bowhunter magazine.

You I assume standing with a mount of a spike and. That was early 80’s I feel old now.

18-Mar-20
LOL... shug that was me. But there was also a nice 12 point in the picture. Would have been about mid 80's bowhunter mag ad. Do you still have that photo for a good laugh??

18-Mar-20
Also, for those wondering about our bait supply. We have ALL BAIT picked up and at camp for Spring hunt!!! Planned ahead without knowing this was coming...No worries...

18-Mar-20
Yes I have it Just have to look... Give me a bit

19-Mar-20
hello, my name is mark, i am a bear hunter. In fall of 2017 i hunted with chris and joe. they showed us hundereds of pics and i picked a stand with a smaller blond, first night a 400+ blackie came in and i couldnt pass on it, 11 1/2 year old boar 6' 8" square. my buddies took bears around 200# My son and i will be back 8/23/2020 cant wait. for my money chris runs the best camp, they now what thy are doing and they do it.

19-Mar-20
Looks like we will be in camp at the same time as you, 248bbearhunter (unless they reopen the border by late May)

19-Mar-20

Awesome FALL bear taken August 15th early bear season...
Awesome FALL bear taken August 15th early bear season...
Bear taken during an early Fall hunt!!
Bear taken during an early Fall hunt!!
Thanks Mark, our outfitting business has conducted 20 years of Fall only hunts, such as Marks. Berries or not, if baits are done right, success will be good. The hides are not rubbed out and meat is tasty.

So if our hunters do have to use their alternative date, your success will still be high!!

19-Mar-20

19-Mar-20

Old Fall Bear...17 years old.
Old Fall Bear...17 years old.

20-Mar-20

Fall Bear...
Fall Bear...
Absolutely nothing wrong with the hides on Fall bears. Success is great, even when berries are present if baits are done right.

*** Instead of returning deposits I will give hunters a chance to use their deposits in the Fall "IF NEED BE"!! Got to give something for their money already paid.

20-Mar-20

11Year old Grey tinged female FALL BEAR!!
11Year old Grey tinged female FALL BEAR!!

20-Mar-20

FALL BEAR....
FALL BEAR....

20-Mar-20
Spring or fall I'm looking forward to bear hunting this year! On side note after seeing these pictures with the tags attached to the bears nose. I purchased my tag online this year. In doing so it prompted me to print my tag. I was in question if this was my "tag" for the year so I called Ontario DNR. They told me it was and that I do not have to attach the tag to the bear as long as I am with the animal. If I am not with the animal, they said to just put it in a zip lock bag and leave it with the carcass. Have you heard anything about this Chris?

20-Mar-20

FALL BEAR...
FALL BEAR...
So, many say bears in the Fall are mostly "NOCTURNAL", NO, they are MORNING DAYLIGHT BEARS. The word Nocturnal is overused!!!

The hunter in this pic hunted his site 3 afternoons in a row. No bears seen. I told him be out at daybreak. He ended up shooting his bear at 7:30 am. He took my advice and it paid off!!!

20-Mar-20
Yes, they have made tagging bears in Ontario much easier out in the field. When you walk up to your bear you would pull out your paper tag. Notch month date time of kill. Fold the tag back up and put back in your wallet. Back at camp tag it, put notched tag in ziplock and attach your tag at this time. Keeps from tag falling off your bear in transit. Same with deer and wolf also. I like new system!!

20-Mar-20
Matt and I will come up Sept 13 if the spring season is cancelled.

20-Mar-20
Thanks a ton Steve for helping out!!

20-Mar-20
Chris I’ll have to check the calendar at work, but I can probably make the week of August 23rd-29th work if you still have an opening and the spring hunt doesn’t happen. Thanks for being flexible and working through this!

20-Mar-20
Hi Brandon, you are a single hunter so August 23rd will work perfect. If all works out well see you this Spring!!

21-Mar-20

One time, back in 2009 we had one of those " Crisis Management Moments". Day before Fall Bear opener, we had heavy rain storms that lasted for hours. Just so happened ALL baits we planned on hunting the first week were behind these washouts. When we fixed one washout we would find another to fix. I had the willing crew for this. Here are the pics:

21-Mar-20
Dang Bees! It was fun though! Hard to believe that was 10 years ago already!

21-Mar-20
It was over ten years ago!! That was the fastest I ever saw you run Brian when them Bee's chased you down. You brought them right to us...

22-Mar-20
I saw on Facebook where Joe said you guys need to build another cabin. I would like to be consulted on this project since I'm hoping to be up there once a year for as long as I can. I think a hot tub on the porch would be nice after a hard day of bear hunting. A nice wine cellar stocked with fine wines to sip while I sit in the hot tub. Queen bed with a quilted pillow top would really help me sleep well so I am rested for the next days hunt. More to come! Typing all this has really exhausted me. Dink

22-Mar-20

Cabin #4...
Cabin #4...
Cabin #5...
Cabin #5...
Camp was built in the early 30's. We had 2 cabins that needed to be retired. So we decided to get rid of them and build one in place. Cabin #5 we tore apart our selves with man power. Cabin just would not fall over and crumble, so went for a coffee. When we were in the lodge we heard a crash, looked at it was flattened on its own. Cabin #4 we used a backhoe.

Dink, I hope to see you this Spring...I'm in quarantine so been checking on Facebook & Bowsite all day long!!!

22-Mar-20

New Cabin #5...
New Cabin #5...
Quibell Lake... our Wolf Hunting Camp.
Quibell Lake... our Wolf Hunting Camp.
Quibell Lake Lodge / Cabin
Quibell Lake Lodge / Cabin
Mutrie River Outpost
Mutrie River Outpost

22-Mar-20

Mutrie River Outpost
Mutrie River Outpost
All these new cabins were financed by our Fall Bear Hunts. Started building in 2001 and kept on...

22-Mar-20
Lots of memories in Cabin 4! Lets see.... 1. First time bringing Kathy to camp we stayed there. 2. Major rain out with Group Home guys from tents to cabin 4 3. A skunk escapade, but not the one your thinking of! 4. Was in that cabin the night someone had a tid bit to much to drink and hit their head at the pool! Think I got back to camp around 3:00 am and had opening day that morning. Give me time I am sure there are more! LOL

23-Mar-20
Talking of the time I slipped and hit my head almost fell in the pool. Had 3 Chris's working that year 2002. Actually, I have 2 new guys this year... both of them named Chris. Joe and Saxon still guiding also. Big crew this year!!

23-Mar-20
3 Chris's, Chris you, Mouse, and Hodge

23-Mar-20

Now, I have mega stands for the bigger hunters!!!

23-Mar-20

Fall 2019...
Fall 2019...
Here is a nice Bear we took in September last Fall....

23-Mar-20
Is this the guy from Michigan who was in camp with me last spring?

23-Mar-20
Is this the guy from Michigan who was in camp with me last spring?

23-Mar-20
Yep... came back in the Fall.

• Sitka Gear