Ace 12-Feb-20
Myke 12-Feb-20
Jaquomo 12-Feb-20
Rgiesey 12-Feb-20
Myke 12-Feb-20
South Farm 13-Feb-20
04-Feb-20

Hessticles's Link
Be interesting to see how much this goes for!

04-Feb-20
They will make a lot more $ with an auction. That is their business, making money...

—Jim

04-Feb-20
I heard the Democrats are buying the hunt for ex VP Dick Cheney.

04-Feb-20
Ground Hunter, they did a raffle last year for Utah elk. A regular Joe who I actually know won it. He owns a small town Ace Hardware store and bought 1 raffle ticket. He said Don Jr. was the real deal and didn't put his knife away until the guides did. He was right in the middle of field dressing, etc.

04-Feb-20
Wow! Bidding is up to $15K already! That is amazing for a hunt that can be had for far less... Gotta be for someone who needs and can count it as a tax write-off.

04-Feb-20
Treeline, I have a really good friend over in your neck of the woods, SCI member with a lot of money, NA 29 guy, who loves Don Jr. and will pay a whole bunch for this hunt. Bet this goes over $50K.

05-Feb-20
Wow! Impressive!

Bet it will be a great time for whoever wins the trip!

Took a look at the outfitter’s website and he appears to run a top notch operation.

Pretty sure that my next trip to Kodiak will be more of a backpack ordeal. Would be a fun trip with my boy...

10-Feb-20
Wow lots of money raised there.

10-Feb-20
Whoa! $150k. I'd burn my money if I had the winning bidders money!

10-Feb-20
I turkey hunted across the road from him year before last. Does that make me a celebrity ? I didn’t even know he was hunting over there until last year though..........

10-Feb-20
Only if his squeeze, Kimberly Guillfoyle, is tagging along:)

10-Feb-20
150k to hunt with a guy... smacks of pathetic to me. I don't blame SCIF or Don, Jr... but it does strike me as a referendum on a perverse culture. JMO.

10-Feb-20
Yeah, $150k is a joke, that’s why I stopped bidding at $149k ;)

—Jim

10-Feb-20
Owl. Chill. You are way to serious

Nothing new here at all. Guys with lots of money spending it as they want to. They earned it

I remember inb1968 a guy buying a Labrador puppy at a DU BANQUET for $7000. Do the math on that one

Same as it's always been

10-Feb-20
Whoa RK, looks like that dude bought a 2020 equivalent pup worth $51,690.17.

On the other hand, he likely got a lifetime of memories and 10-15 years of companionship and experiences...

Whoever wins this gets 1 hunt. Probably a really cool hunt... But still. I'd say the lab guy got the better deal long term.

10-Feb-20
and Sitka's are the poor mans sheep

10-Feb-20
Will I agree. Dog was way cooler

Point being really really rich guys spend lots of money on things most of us would not. At a certain point $ just are not important to some people????

10-Feb-20
Owl, would you feel the same way if the gentleman had simply donated $150K to SCI?

10-Feb-20
Ambush- that there is funny, I don’t care who you are!

11-Feb-20
Never count another man’s money. You just look foolish if you do it

11-Feb-20
Some of these guys would rather give to a tax deductible entity rather than the gov’t. I can’t say that I blame them.

11-Feb-20
The whole story !

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE- From SCI Email

Donald Trump Jr. Helps SCI Top Its 48th Annual Convention With A Record Auction To Benefit Education Washington, DC (FEBRUARY 11, 2020) - Safari Club International ended its annual Convention in Reno, Nevada this year on a star-studded high note. Highlighting the evening, with the help of Donald Trump Jr., was a record $340,000 raised at auction to benefit the SCI Foundation Sables and their efforts to educate the world about the importance of hunting.

The evening began with opening remarks from SCI/SCIF CEO Laird Hamberlin, then moved on to the awards of the night. Britanny Longoria presented the Cabela's Young Hunter Awards to Kenia Link and Zackary Corr and then the Federal Legislator of the Year Award was presented to Congressman Jeff Duncan of South Carolina's Third District.

Susan Hayes received the Diana Award for her dedication to SCI and its ongoing education and conservation programs. Past President Craig Kauffman received the Hall Of Fame Award in recognition of his years of service to SCI and its ideals.

Aurelia Skipwith A welcome surprise in the form of USFWS Director Aurelia Skipwith followed President Steve Skold's address. Ms. Skipwith's speech followed the unofficial theme of the evening, centering on the need to educate the non-hunter or as one member referred to them, the agnostic hunters. She spoke of her grandfather who had introduced her to the world of hunting and fishing and stated he would be proud that she was speaking to such a large group of like-minded individuals.

Keynote speaker Donald Trump Jr. wowed the crowd throughout the evening, generously posing for selfies on the floor before the dinner began and then galvanizing the crowd with his speech. With a mix of humor and seriousness, he spoke of his unlikely beginnings as a "son of a New York billionaire" to the world of the outdoors in general and hunting in particular.

He revealed that his maternal grandfather took him to Communist Czechoslovakia in summers to teach him the basics of woodcraft and expose him to the harsh realities of other, less fortunate parts of the world. He credits a teacher at his private school for mentoring him in the skills of hunting and sparking the passion he continues to follow, despite his many vocal critics.

The momentum from his speech helped propel the evening's premier auction item, a hunt with Donald Trump Jr. and his son in Alaska for Sitka black-tailed deer, to astronomical levels. Once the bidding started, the price rose dramatically, topping out at $190,000.

In a surprise move, Mr. Trump announced that the outfitter was offering another slot on the hunt and bidding began again, topping out at $150,000 and bringing a grand total of $340,000 for the first auction item alone. Bidding for subsequent auction items was spirited, as well, putting a golden finishing touch to the week's activities. The SCI Convention will be moving back to Las Vegas Nevada for 2021 and 2022 to celebrate the 50th Anniversary of Safari Club International and the 50th Anniversary of the SCI Annual Convention respectively.

### Safari Club International - First For Hunters is the leader in protecting the freedom to hunt and in promoting wildlife conservation worldwide. SCI's approximately 200 Chapters represent all 50 of the United States as well as 106 other countries. SCI's proactive leadership in a host of cooperative wildlife conservation, outdoor education and humanitarian programs, with the SCI Foundation and other conservation groups, research institutions and government agencies, empowers sportsmen to be contributing community members and participants in sound wildlife management and conservation. Visit the home page www.SafariClub.org, or call (520) 620-1220 for more information. International Headquarters Washington, District of Columbia · Tucson, Arizona · Ottawa, Canada www.SafariClub.org

11-Feb-20
Wow! Great story and great night for conservation...

11-Feb-20
+1 kota-man. Some can just accomplish more in one night for conservation than most of us can do in a lifetime. Agree or disagree with his politics, I thank him for giving to a great cause!

11-Feb-20
Money spent in a good cause is money spent well, no matter how much or how little, or who spends it. It’s for sure there won’t be a Brink’s truck beside your grave.

11-Feb-20
Jaquomo, As your hypothetical completely changes the psychological implications, of course not. A good question is why didn't he donate?

While folks may believe mine is an objection based on right, capacity, etc., that would be a complete misread. I hope the fellow is wealthy beyond comparison. Maybe he's hunting with Don Jr. 1 week and then culling prison inmates the next with Hillary Clinton. I don't care. However, what is done does not change why it is done and it is "the why" that captured my interest in this case. Further, note my criticism was leveled at the society providing context for the exchange.

11-Feb-20
It never ceases to amaze me how some people simply can’t help but find something to complain about. It’s actually quite impressive how cynical and argumentative some people are. 2 people just raised 340k for wildlife and hunting. That’s the story. Not all the other BS and bickering.

11-Feb-20
You nailed it, leo17.

11-Feb-20
I'm going to lay this out another way:

SCI = Good

Don Jr.= Good

Donor = Benevolent

Precepts that make it all possible = Fundamentally flawed and culturally more profoundly deleterious than any amount of money can overcome. Writ large that is.

11-Feb-20
I understand your point, Owl. And I could agree with you if an idol complex was an unarguable/defensible position. However, I think there are several other perspectives that, without knowing the high dollar bidders character, are credible in this case. In light of that I would be reluctant to condemn with a dearth of information about the individuals.

11-Feb-20
Candor. Priceless LMAO!

11-Feb-20
WRT the money raised. I wish it was going to be used for conservation or wildlife issues but I sadly don't think it will not go to anything other than SCI lawyers

12-Feb-20
So if I donate $150 to RMEF to get a knife, that's cool. If I donate $150,000 to SCI to get a hunt with someone I admire and with whom I'd love to hunt, that's profoundly deleterious to the entire fabric of our irretrievably fractured society?

Got it. Thanks for the obtuse obfuscation. I need at least one of those every day to justify my enjoyment of Scotch.

12-Feb-20
"deleterious to the entire fabric of our irretrievably fractured society".

WTF are y'all talking about? I lost that auction hunt by $50 bucks and I still don't know what ya'll talkin bout?

Can someone explain this in anglish?

12-Feb-20
"So if I donate $150 to RMEF to get a knife, that's cool. If I donate $150,000 to SCI to get a hunt with someone I admire and with whom I'd love to hunt, that's profoundly deleterious to the entire fabric of our irretrievably fractured society?"

-As long as you're rationalizing, go ahead and have a double. BTW, I never stated our society was 'irretrievably fractured.' You imported that conclusion.

I will concede this is possibly the worst occasion and venue for me to make such an observation so the disagreement is expected. It is possibly valid, too, given that some organizations are monetizing for charity what I posit as faulty wiring.

12-Feb-20
let the big boys spend there money however they wish too. What we should all be happy with is somehow a big city kid that's the son of a billionaire president ended up being a huge supporter of SCI organization & the hunting world as a whole.

12-Feb-20
Good for Trump and all involved. Raises money and awareness for the hunting community.

12-Feb-20
I wish Trump would stay out of hunting. Pics of Trump and game haven't done the hunting society any good among non hunters (Whom at times we need to be on our side). I would like the first thought in a non hunters mind to be that we are conservationists, not red flag / blue flag political activists of any kind. I am just a lowly independent putting in my $.02 worth.

Besides, could it be that $150,000+ was a VERY cheap way to gain Trump family access for an entire week? An entire week? Think about it, the auction winner could have been a non hunter looking for political access. Like Bill Engvall says, "And there's your sign".

12-Feb-20
Pictures of dead animals is never a positive for non hunting voters. Is Trump the only one guilty of that?

12-Feb-20
DT jr. is a hunter..... like the majority of folks on this site. We post pics all the time of our successful hunts. I am a strong supporter of the RIGHT side of the political isle, yet no one would think to use that affiliation against me or hunting in general. Given his status in this world, stuff like that (hunting pics) will be used to further the causes of anyone willing to speak out against it. IMHO, he is just a hunter, like us, that is happy to be successful in the field and wants to show his success. And, like some have said, he raised $340,000 in the blink of an eye.... I know I could never do that.... He has the ability to use his status to better hunting and conservation. Damn good of him. Bottom line...….. he is a HUNTER, like you and I. Let him help with what he can

12-Feb-20
He's a real hunter, not a fake one like John Kerry.

12-Feb-20
I couldn't be heappier that Donald Jr is on our team.

12-Feb-20
My guess is that Donald Trump jr is a great guy! Thought that after Pat’s interview, before I’d become so impressed with his fathers actions. I’m glad he’s on our side and shows it.

12-Feb-20
If you support Donald Trump Jr., that's ok. Just pointing out that others may be using SCI to gain access. And it could be anybody. Honestly, do you think that anybody would have forked over $150k for that hunt week w/ Donald Jr. 6 years ago? Now, to a lobbyist (who also could be a hunter), $150k is cheap. Frankly, I thought it could have gone for much more. But hunt auctions are not always on everyones radar, like fleaBay, it is about timing. And many people complain about hunting becoming a rich man's game. This does little to refute that position. It wasn't a raffle, it was an auction. SCI isn't the only organization doing auctions for elite style hunts. But the more political you get, the $$ to play goes up. Short term gain with long term consequences on many fronts.

Just some rambling, thanks for your time.

12-Feb-20
Wow ! I wish it would have brought a million . I rarely post on here but I cant believe some of these stupid comments . Would you rather these people go buy another car or boat or play toy that you would never see ? If they want to spend that money some place where it might benefit wildlife and or us regular people than we should applaud them not talk shit ! I am just a regular guy just like most on here and I usually spend money hunting or fishing . We went to the Foundation For Wildlife Banquet this past Saturday night and I bought some carved fish on the live auction for a lot more than they were probably worth. What did I get out of it ? My wife got the artwork she wanted, the group got more money to pay for their wolf bounty and I got the pleasure of knowing that I am helping however I can . The fighting and hating has got to stop. If we don't start working together not only does the wildlife loose but our kids and grandkids.

12-Feb-20
Obama said " People are wealthy because they took it from you". Talk about divisive. Go Trump!

12-Feb-20

Rut Nut's Link
Good for Donald Trump Jr!

I didn't know about this, but saw this article last week. Wonder if the Beach Boys went thru with the concert?

Hey, maybe it was Brian Wilson who won the auction hunt?! ;-)

12-Feb-20

Myke's Link
Perhaps an article with another perspective(hope the link works).

I am not saying Donald Jr. cannot do good for conservation. It is just that other things can seep in when the guys with the plump money bags show up to support a politician. What if the winner was a Sierra Club guy in sheeps clothing; or any other political group wanting to make trouble? Far fetched perhaps, but what if? Politics where it may not benefit all those participating. It is just the way it is sometimes.

The link - Many here in Wisconsin supported Scott Walker early on as a "Sportsman for Walker", but after 8 years, not so much. Now I am not equating Trump to Walker. Just showing how politics can creep into conservation groups with unintended consequences. The long list of conservation positions that Walker took did not support his Sportsman for Walker dialog and promises. It is just an example of a politicians promises not kept to WI sportsman and conservationists by Walker. (Pay attention to the part about the nitrate levels contaminating rural wells - that has gotten even worse. Wildlife and humans have suffered from contaminated ground and surface waters.) This type of stuff is why I am now an independent - support the issues, not the personalities or either political flag in WI. The politicians took over control from the scientists. And we put them there.

12-Feb-20
Perhaps not. Some people just have to be negative and miserable.

12-Feb-20
So let me see if I have this right, Don Jr shouldn't get involved in an issue he feels passionate about because someone who feels differently might buy the hunt? So the SCI would still get the money right? And have you considered that maybe, just maybe, while the guy was trying to influence Don or change his mind about something, maybe Don and the others around them would be able to explain what hunting was truly all about. They just might all come back from that trip with another convert to the cause. I'm pretty sure Trump Jr can handle himself in whatever situation comes up. I'm not worried in the least that he'd be influenced by someone who paid big bucks for a hunt but was really trying to buy influence. Now if they wanted to put him on the board of a foreign gas company ....

Myke, You strike me as the guy who stays home because he's afraid if he goes outside he might slip and break something.

Assume some positive intent, and try to see the bright side of things, you'll be a happier person for it.

12-Feb-20
Mykes argument makes absolutely no sense to me. So the “antis” plan is to give $190k to a hunting organization, then spend a week on a boat hunting with DTJ in the hopes of brain washing hunting out of him or somehow change his opinion? I mean really?

How is it so hard to believe that there individuals out there with tons of cash and willing to support hunting organizations? The buyer/doner gets a once in a lifetime trip with an extremely interesting like minded hunter. I see hunts/items go for exponentially more than they are “worth” to support organizations all the time. This one just happens to include a hunting partner with political ties.

Religion and/or politics can ruin anything.

—Jim

12-Feb-20
I think Ace and I were posting at the same time! He has a cooler handle so I will defer to him ;)

—Jim

12-Feb-20
Those rich guys can donate that money to worthy organizations anytime they want as much as they want. They don't need Donald Jr for that. The point about the anti's is about press. Free press is cheap press. And $150 grand to harass a Trump is peanuts for those groups. Not saying that is the case here, but it is entirely possible if you put yourself in that position. Ask Romney how a hidden microphone messed up his campaign. Dip your toe into politics, you could loose the toe. Jump in, and you could loose much more than that.

"Religion and/or politics can ruin anything." <---- Right on the button. Quote of the day!

12-Feb-20
So what if its a lobbyist? I don't care if Rosie O'Donnell bought it so long as her check didn't bounce.

12-Feb-20
I'll tell you "why", Owl.

BECAUSE HE CAN!

Beyond that is none of our business, ain't our money, we didn't earn it, and as such we shouldn't care why or how the man spends it...we have no say in the matter. We should just be happy it's going to a good cause and let it go at that.

12-Feb-20
"I don't care if Rosie O'Donnell bought it so long as her check didn't bounce."

Actually, that would be REALLY interesting.

As far as 'earning it'; some rich men are not necessarily rich, they just have the ability to borrow more than others. And that is the truth - it's a good gig, if you can get it. Wall streeters are full of these types of guys.

12-Feb-20
Ace that gas company quote was priceless.

12-Feb-20
"Ability to borrow more than others" is relative to how much you earn yourself. A guy that makes $24k/year isn't positioned to get a $75k truck loan, whereas a guy that makes $100k could drive that truck off the lot today. It's "relative", based on what you personally earn. You earn by working...some of us with our backs, some of us with our minds. Either way we earned it, and nobody has a right to tell us how we should spend it.

12-Feb-20
South Farm - I am not talking about guys who make $100k and buy nice pickups. Not even close to the league of the guy who shelled out the $150k. I doubt that the $150k came from someone who relies on wages. Think bigger, much much bigger. I didn't say they don't have the right to spend it, just do not assume that the source is always 'net income'. I have 40+ years as a corporate accountant at various levels. Years ago, a CEO once flew a building owner & his entourage in on the Concord just to tour our factory to get a construction supplies contract. You can write that stuff off, you know.

I am sure Trump likes SCI because he will have access to some very fine hunts in the future. I get it, but it puts SCI in an entirely different league as smaller organizations with that kind of political access from their perspective. There can be risk associated with that, which is my point. And it is a big picture view, it is not a small decision. Nor a cash infusion issue - that is the bonus in it.

When the NRA got deep into politics, really deep; it has hurt them quite a bit in the long run. So who benefitted from all that in the end? I think the 2nd amendment is exposed to change when they turned away from their grass roots campaigns. But that is another story.

12-Feb-20
First day on Bowsite Myke?

12-Feb-20
Ace - I was a much more frequent contributor back in the days when this place was a chat room. Lots of people pop in and out over the years. The crazy sign on procedures allowed multiple people to carry the same handle, which I didn't like much. I took a long hiatus from this place when I had a family. I am retired now. Volunteer for state archery organizations, hunt out of state, etc. It is a good life. I just have my own opinions, and they don't always gel with others. I generally do not fly a blue flag or a red flag. It tends to handcuff you. Thanks for asking. Have a great day.

I'll add this so you may feel more secure. One fella who is no longer with us would entertain with stories about his adventures and hunting rig that he called "Deer Force 1" if memory serves me right. It was an old truck camper and he was a storyteller. He died of cancer, which left a big hole here. They even had a group hunt with guys who met here, which was something that was unheard of in those days. Also, a young man from WI also hooked up with some guys from the PBS on the Bowsite chatroom and it changed his life. He is now in Juneau and lives a bowhunting Alaska lifestyle. Some old Bowsite history - not anti-hunter troll here.

12-Feb-20
Funny, I've been on Bowsite since the beginning and don't recall it ever being a "chat room". Posters come, go, return and leave again, but it had always been a place where debate and diverse opionions are offered by hunters who are passionate (and sometimes misguided).

12-Feb-20
Man, I can’t be on a chat room. My kids would roast me. Also chuckle at picturing the moron persuading Don jr. against his beliefs. I have some faith in his character.

12-Feb-20
Rgiesey - That person will not try to persuade Donald Jr about anything. That person will try to open mic him. Remember my statement about an open Mic blunder that Mitt had at a fund raiser - it effectively killed his campaign. Bet the person who threw that party felt like crap.

Jaquomo - I do remember you as you were one of the first from Colorado on here. I spent some time in NW Colorado, especially in the early 80's as my Dad lived in Craig. I worked in the Union Carbide uranium mine outside of Maybell for a summer. Elsewhere, other years. There was a chat room here early on; could have been in the Leatherwall side of things; can't exactly remember-PM Pat and ask him. I met many folks there electronically, although it was pretty crude system. A regular was a guy who was the head bowyer at Chekmate- learned a ton from him; met the young man who was from WI who ended up in Alaska. When he went to the University of WI-Madison, I would pick him up to go hunting or kayaking to get him off the pavement. He had no car. I'll have to ask him what site the chat room was on. Many who came and went like me. Many leave because they were bullied off the site. The Wisconsin page could get particularly rough, as an example. People got fed up with it.

13-Feb-20
Expound all ya want, bottom line is I believe the dude can spend whatever he wants of his own money. How, where, or why he's got it I could care less. I don't need to "think bigger" because it doesn't matter what I think...and I'll let it go at that, other than to say I hope he has an awesome time.

• Sitka Gear