nmwapiti 05-Feb-20
nmwapiti 05-Feb-20
BOWUNTR 05-Feb-20
Ron Niziolek 05-Feb-20
Jasper 05-Feb-20
wildwilderness 05-Feb-20
Adak Caribou 08-Feb-20
04-Feb-20
So I’m retiring in the next year and my top bucket list hunt is caribou. I’ve been researching air taxis and drop hunts and have an idea of what I want to do if everything works out. I happened across a video the other day with guys Caribou hunting on Kodiak. TBH I didn’t even know there were any on the island. How big is the herd and what are the prospects of bow hunting them? Thanks!

04-Feb-20
There certainly are caribou on Kodiak, I’ve seen them. And personally know another bowsite who killed one this past fall. I would never plan a hunt with them as the target species though. Concentrations are low, trophy quality is generally poor. Much much better options out there.

Now as a bonus animal on a blacktail or goat hunt? Heck yeah!

—Jim

04-Feb-20
I recall on a Kodiak bear hunt in 98 my outfitter mentioned for reindeer I did not need a tag. The situation as I was told was that some captive reindeer had escaped and were legal game as a non native invasive. Wasn't interested and did not see one.

04-Feb-20
That is simply not true. You will be required to have a caribou tag (or higher value tag you are willing to downgrade) to hunt them.

—Jim

04-Feb-20
They are reindeer and hence the lower quality. Have seen sheds but never a live one.

04-Feb-20
You’ll need a tag. Not very many in total. Trophy quality has diminished quite a bit from many years ago. A 300” bull will be a tall order. A bowsiter we all know killed a bull down there last fall and I seen a few smaller ones from other guys. Not likely where I’d go to hunt caribou, but if you did, you’d certainly shoot some bucks so that’s a nice addition.

04-Feb-20
I saw them a couple of times out there and, if caribou and not sitka blacktail is at the top of your list, I would go elsewhere.

04-Feb-20
If a guy is chasing bucks should he have a caribou tag in his pocket or is that VERY wishful thinking?

04-Feb-20
No. Caribou are really only in one area.

05-Feb-20
Gotcha. Thanks Jim and Nick!

05-Feb-20
I’m also interested in finding a good Alaskan caribou hunt. I know several of you guys have experience and I would love to research some recommendations...

05-Feb-20
Tdvorak, “I would not suggest Canada for caribou hunting”. I would say that is a broad statement given Canada has caribou of all 5 sub-species (4 huntable) ranging from Newfoundland west to the Yukon! Where else can you hunt a Woodland or Mt Caribou?

As per the original poster’s question....if you are going to Kodiak deer hunting in an area with a chance of seeing a caribou, buy a tag. An unused caribou tag could always be put on a deer near the end of the hunt within the deer bag limit of course.

05-Feb-20
A friend of mine arrowed a nice bull on Kodiak last fall on his Sitka blacktail hunt.

05-Feb-20
I killed one a few years back. Bowboy and I went for blacktail hoping to also see the bou. Found a group of about a dozen bulls. I dont have any pics on this phone, but will try to find one. They were not around when I hunted the same area a few years later. Think they are pretty few and far between.

05-Feb-20

nmwapiti's embedded Photo
nmwapiti's embedded Photo
My bull. And a link to the story...

https://www.longrangehunting.com/articles/kodiak-island-blacktail-caribou.871

05-Feb-20

BOWUNTR's embedded Photo
BOWUNTR's embedded Photo
I wouldn't go to Kodiak to hunt Caribou.... bonus animal. Ed F

05-Feb-20

Ron Niziolek's embedded Photo
Ron Niziolek's embedded Photo
I agree, I would not got to Kodiak to specifically hunt caribou. If you plan a deer hunt where the herd typically is, then maybe the extra $ for a tag would be worth it to you. I believe we were told the herd # is 350+- animals. I think we saw them all last fall and not many good bulls. I shot a smaller one when he and another split from the herd and moved into stalkable terrain

05-Feb-20
Nice bull Jason!

05-Feb-20

wildwilderness's embedded Photo
wildwilderness's embedded Photo
As mentioned if you want to kill a caribou on Kodiak you have to hunt the area they are in and look for them. Good bonus animal. If there is no die off this winter on deer there should be plenty in the same area. I spent a day and shot this cow after we spotted a herd. Didn’t see any big bulls. My kid shot a couple deer as well.

08-Feb-20

Adak Caribou's Link
As an option for caribou, Adak. I attached photos from 2019. Password - adakhunts

Kodiak is awesome for deer, the feral reindeer are very limited.

• Sitka Gear