JTreeman 05-Feb-20
sticksender 05-Feb-20
elkstabber 05-Feb-20
Scrappy 05-Feb-20
Rut Nut 05-Feb-20
Trial153 05-Feb-20
05-Feb-20

elkstabber's Link
Has anybody tried this? It looks like a smaller and lighter and cheaper version of the InReach with less features.

05-Feb-20

elkstabber's Link
Here is a vendor that is selling the Zoleo for $199.

05-Feb-20

elkstabber's Link
Here is the subscription plan info:

05-Feb-20
I’ve seen several similar in the last couple years. Don’t remember the specific names of any of course. I personally believe that at this point is is going to be pretty difficult for any of them to compete with the Garmin stuff, that big market share is a lot of weight to throw around. I will be interested to see what the next few years will produce though, fast changes in the tech stuff these days, I could be very wrong.

—Jim

05-Feb-20
I'd consider another device if there was a genuine advantage with regard to performance or cost. I see their data plan rates are slightly cheaper than InReach. But offsetting that, they're tacking on a $4/month fee while suspended. And also requiring a 3-month minimum after initial activation, which is not required with InReach. Considering the fact their unit cannot operate stand-alone, which is often my preferred way to use the InReach, and I'll probably stick with Garmin.

05-Feb-20
sticksender, no doubt that's the best part about the InReach. If your cell phone craps out you've still got texting capabilities (although slower to type in) and you've still got a GPS. (I no longer carry a dedicated GPS)

But, I'm very glad to see another option because competition is good for consumers.

05-Feb-20
Not interested but like others have stated, competition pushes innovation.

05-Feb-20
I just bought my InReach Explorer this year and I don't see switching anytime soon. For the reasons you guys have stated.

And the fact that my Annual Safety plan is only $12 a month, so much cheaper than this one.

05-Feb-20
Garmin is still way ahead in this game. I can see them making some more functional changes to inreach models soon and pulling ahead even more. Everyone else is placing catch up at this point

• Sitka Gear