Busta'Ribs 10-Feb-20
ahunter76 11-Feb-20
DonBo 17-Feb-20
t-roy 17-Feb-20
Bugle up 17-Feb-20
bghunter 17-Feb-20
bowbender77 17-Feb-20
06-Feb-20
I'm from Minnesota and am looking for somewhere closer than Oklahoma to hunt hogs. I know it will have to be a high fence hunt and I'm okay with that. What are my options?

06-Feb-20
North star Iowa

06-Feb-20
Don’t worry, they’ll be in your woods soon enough!

06-Feb-20
From North Star's website:

"We spot and stock out of stands."

That's pretty funny.

06-Feb-20
What does “spot and stock” mean?

07-Feb-20
Spot a bunch of “C” notes and they will stock the inclosure

07-Feb-20
Spot a bunch of “C” notes and they will stock the inclosure

07-Feb-20

ahunter76's embedded Photo
North Star as mentioned. I give a chit where anyone hunts hogs, it's fun, helps fill an off season void & in most cases, reasonably priced. I've done it many, many times in OK & Tx on day lease places. IF you do travel to Ok or Tx , Shiloh in Ok is probably your best bet (been there a few times) & search Texasbowhunter.com (Rate the day lease) for Tx information. $300 & up with lodging in most cases (2-4 nights) & kitchen facilities.

07-Feb-20
I'm about to go do some "spot and stock" on my place while I look for sheds. I love this time of year!

08-Feb-20
Oh, ok. So it’s actually “stock and spot” then.

08-Feb-20

I love the purists condemning others with their food plots, Deer cane, range finders, Google earth, game cams, HIT LIST & NAMING wild deer (love these two). Hunt how you want & enjoy, there is no fair chase anymore. Lots of "reasonable" hog hunting out there & you will enjoy it for sure. From a guy who has bowhunted 15 states, DIY in a tent & public land over 60 years. for various biggame. Done High Fence, low fence & no fence. Like I said, enjoy whatever you choose. Pig hunting can become addicting for off season fun.

08-Feb-20
John, don’t misunderstand my post, I love hog hunting and have no problem with it when it’s done in high fence, low fence, no fence, whatever. I’m actually heading to Texas in a couple weeks to help a good friend kill some pigs on his family’s place that is high fenced and intensely managed for big deer. The hogs don’t care about that fence, the go back and forth under it every day. I am one of those guys that is addicted to hog hunting, for sure. I’ve hunted a great variety of North American big game species, from deer to sheep, and I’ve never had more fun than I’ve had on a hog hunt. I’m just still not sure what “spot and stock” means?

08-Feb-20
Simple. Spot and spelling error

09-Feb-20
I was making fun of both the grammar and the curious method. How do you spot and "stalk" from stands? Do you actually spot the hogs from stands, then climb down and stalk them?

10-Feb-20

I've done the HF, low fence & no fence. Spot & stalk, stands over feeders (legal Tx, Ok) & ONE hog dog free range (that was by far the most exciting). Yes, we like going in late Feb or March & it is SOooo addicting regardless of how it's done. Im taking my Longbow next time. My 1st was in 1965, spot & stalk & I was taught respect first time out. Charged me after a fatal double lung shot & dropped at my feet.

10-Feb-20
Wow, John, you must have been bowhunting for a long time.

10-Feb-20
"I know it will have to be a high fence hunt and I'm okay with that. What are my options?"

Just find a local hog farmer and ask if you can buy one of his pigs and put it down with your bow. A lot cheaper and basically the same thing.

10-Feb-20
You've been at it for a while John, that is a great pic and I'm sure, a great memory. And it looks like you have known bowhunting's best kept secret for a long time. There really is no animal that's more fun to chase with a bow. And "spot & STALK" is my method of choice. Hogs are the perfect animal to practice your stalking skills on and if you get on the right place, there are lot's of opportunities to practice!

11-Feb-20

Yes, Long time (2020 starts 64 years bowhunting-never bought a tag to gun any biggame). I can't remember not having some type bow n arrow but I say I started in 1956 (I bought my 1st real bow & joined a club then). I bowhunted Illinois 1st ever Deer season (1957) & killed my 1st Deer in Illinois in 1958. I've Bowhunted 15 states & 95% DIY, public land. Did Antelope in Sept with my son (8 days in a tent) public land DIY. His 1st trip & he arrowed a nice Buck the 3rd day-me, I had a great time & never drew my bow. Passed on a little buck at 20 yds. At 78 I'm blessed to still be bowhunting & tournament shooting (love it all). DonBo-I know a few that have done North Star in Iowa. It was a fun time & not walk up & shoot. They all went back & some for many years. This Dog hog hunt was the best, most exciting you can ever imagine-that hog charged me 6 different times in as 3 hour period b/4 my arrow took him down as he started the 7th charge. Good Luck in wherever you decide to go..

17-Feb-20
"Just find a local hog farmer and ask if you can buy one of his pigs and put it down with your bow. A lot cheaper and basically the same thing."

I'm new to this site. Is this the kind of response I can expect here? If so, I am so not impressed.

17-Feb-20
Donbo....... There is a tremendous wealth of information on this site, as well as a ton of guys that are extremely knowledgeable about a wide range of subjects. Most of them are very willing to help out with info, suggestions, how to, etc.

Unfortunately, there are always a few turds that always want to crap on everything they read. They always seem to want to be the “smartest guy in the room” types. Don’t base your impressions about this site by the actions/comments of a few.

17-Feb-20
Yep, you'll get the dumb comments no-matter what site you are on.

17-Feb-20
Yea ignore the comments. Been on here for years and there are great people on here and you will get some great information When you decide on your hunt post a story and good luck

17-Feb-20
I agree t-roy. I just hope that the good continues to out weigh the bad.

18-Feb-20
I'd like to add, that when you see comments like that DonBo, they almost always come from the same few folks. After a while you will learn which handles to just skim past. Just like the kid in the classroom who is sitting there kicking the wall for attention, you just learn to ignore them and pray for them to find happiness in life some other way.

• Sitka Gear