kscowboy 13-Feb-20
Grey Ghost 13-Feb-20
PECO 13-Feb-20
Rut Nut 13-Feb-20
badbull 13-Feb-20
Jaquomo 13-Feb-20
WV Mountaineer 13-Feb-20
06-Feb-20
Getting a really big dump of snow here in NW Colorado!

Had a cold spell come through earlier in the week with just a little snow but the one today is dumping a ton of snow! Supposed to keep dumping thru tomorrow!

Pray for a long dry warm spell after this or the deer will be hurting...

06-Feb-20
Yep, it's doing the same thing in WY.

06-Feb-20

06-Feb-20
Plowed the driveway 3 times and shoveled the deck twice... still dumping!

06-Feb-20
No Bake!

06-Feb-20
I’m sorry ;) ;)

06-Feb-20
Just one of many “sore” subjects in this state....

06-Feb-20
MT too....

06-Feb-20
Predicted only 2-4 in of snow in Ft. Collins in the next day or two. If I want more, I just head up the mt to Steamboat. :)

06-Feb-20
Hell, Paul I gotta go down to Denver for CTAS tomorrow!

06-Feb-20
It just started snowing here in Castle Rock a few minutes ago, but do not think we are supposed to get much.

06-Feb-20
All we have here in Kansas City is confetti!!!! And super bowel champs!

06-Feb-20
Snowing and raining here in Boise. Mostly rain, but that means snow in the Mtns. Looking forward to trying my new liberty skis out!

06-Feb-20
Around 12" in downtown Glenwood springs. At 9 pm

06-Feb-20

FORESTBOWS 's embedded Photo
My drive way 15 minutes after I cleared it this morning

07-Feb-20

My entry just now when I hot home. I cleared 4" off this morning.

07-Feb-20
'Super bowel champs'?? Messy.Worse than snow I'd think.

07-Feb-20
Woke up and found out I’m off of work today. Keystone got 11 inches, Vail 17 inches and Breckenridge 19 inches overnight. Biggest decision of the day is figuring out where to go play on my snowboard...Life is good!!!

07-Feb-20
My wife and I will be first chair at Sunlight ski area

07-Feb-20
My son is already at the Summit at Keystone - he's got the lifts ready to start for your ski bunnys :)

07-Feb-20
18" in Kremmling and still coming down. Going to be a great day on the sleds!

07-Feb-20
Dup

07-Feb-20
Plowed 6” last night. Another foot followed by freezing rain due today with tonight predicted at -11 and heavy winds. The deer are cozy in the winter yard on my land and munching on the maples and one huge hemlock I dropped for them. They do a good job of limbing my firewood and future hemlock siding for my barn.

07-Feb-20
I see I'm not the ONLY one that caught bowhunter24's miscue! ;-)

07-Feb-20
Was along the Colorado/WY border 2 weeks ago. There was more snow and the snow was nastier (crusted and drifted) worse than any year in the last 15 other than 07/08. Unless something changes we are looking at 07/08 condition in the area again. This added to the CPWs hopes to kill all the mature bucks by increasing buck licenses and then compounded by the shift to later seasons. NW Colorado deer are done. They were already hammered hard this last year, but it will get worse...

South of Wamsetter the snow berms for the oil and gas roads are taller that a pickup and getting deeper. These berms are killer on any wildlife in the area.

07-Feb-20
On the bright side, all the snowpack is going to make for a great fishing season once the runoff is over. Personally, I think the drought years are harder on the big game than the heavy snow years, just based on observations around my place.

Matt

07-Feb-20

Jaquomo's embedded Photo
Jaquomo's embedded Photo
View of my house from the GFs deck. Supposed to continue through tomorrow. She loves snow, so she's out plowing the driveway and I'll send her over to plow mine after she puts another log on the fire and makes my breakfast. :-p

07-Feb-20
I'm with your GF, Lou, I love firing up my tractor/loader and plowing snow. After my season ending crash last year, I've kinda lost my passion for skiing, so plowing is about the only satisfaction I get from a heavy snow storm these days. All things considered, I'd rather be on my fishing boat in Florida.

Matt

07-Feb-20
I need a bigger plow!

Had about 3 feet this morning.

Got stuck pulling the 4-Wheeler that I plow with out of the garage this morning at 5 am.

Had to shovel a path and pound the hell out of it to get it opened up.

Snow sucks!

07-Feb-20

cnelk's embedded Photo
cnelk's embedded Photo
cnelk's embedded Photo
cnelk's embedded Photo
Love winter in Colorado. Been snowmobiling into high Mtn lakes and setting the hook on lake trout every weekend

07-Feb-20
Have to spend too much time digging out to enjoy winter.

Used to love skiing when I lived on the front range.

Quit when I moved up to the mountains.

Used to get some lion and coyote hunting in the winter as well. Don’t have any time for that anymore with having to be in Denver so much. Get home and have too many “honey-do’s”...

Just hoping that we don’t lose a bunch of deer with this kind of storm...

07-Feb-20
Yea hopefully we get a warm Up after this one

07-Feb-20

Snow sucked. Wind blown and set up already.

07-Feb-20

This spot is never bad. Snow in the trees was ok.

07-Feb-20
Forest, Don't get too close to those trees, or Kelly will dragging your busted butt down the mountain...

07-Feb-20

07-Feb-20
My daughter just said over 20" right in Kremmling and still snowing. Many hundreds elk and deer winter around there. Not good. She said Trough Road, Rabbit Ears and Berthoud all closed.

07-Feb-20

TrapperKayak's embedded Photo
Not CO, but we're getting pounded too.

07-Feb-20

Finished the driveway at dark. Got my exercise for the day.

07-Feb-20
Cnelk- the 1980’s called......................they want their auger back! ;-)

Just kidding! : ) I didn’t know guys still used those fire breathers

I’m just jealous, though. We haven’t had ice thick enough here in the Northeast all season that a hand auger couldn’t handle! : (

PS- Nice fish!

07-Feb-20
Rur Nut, real men use hand augers only. Ice fishing isn't supposed to be easy. Those eAugers are cheating. :-) But I wish my 35 year old fire breather would just quit so I can justify an eAuger. It keeps running like a champ and shows no sign of slowing down.

07-Feb-20
Guys, real men use and ice spud....its trad.. ;)

07-Feb-20
Dont be dissin' on my ol' StrikeMaster auger! :) I need the old fire breather to get thru all the ice!

After this latest storm, this is what Ill be doing Sunday

07-Feb-20
LOL guys! : )

I don’t think they did much “hole hopping” in the GOOD OLD DAYS! ;-)

Jaq- get yourself one of the new high torque brushless 18v drills like the Milwaukee Fuel or Rigid Octane. You can use it for projects around the house in Summer and then ice augering in the winter.

07-Feb-20
Don't do it. The bit adaptors wear out and you'll wreck your wrists for bow shooting. No leverage.

07-Feb-20
You guys need a cordless “hole hog” they have a clutch, no broken wrists then.

Never been ice fishing, but I know a thing or 2 about drilling holes!

—Jim

07-Feb-20
Been using my Milwaukee Fuel for 4 years now. Side handle works great, no wear on adapter and no wrist issues.

07-Feb-20
I got the same rig as cnelk... just haven’t cut any holes this winter!

07-Feb-20
Rut Nut, will that push a 10" auger?

We started out with spuds, and fought like hell against the legalization of power augers. We knew it would ruin ice fishing, and we were right. ;-)

07-Feb-20

cnelk's embedded Photo
cnelk's embedded Photo
For you snow bunnies

Today at Vail Resort.

07-Feb-20
Jaq, what augar do you have GF use when you folks are ice fishing ? Or do you have her manually dig a hole in the ice? Maybe if you got her a new electric she could get to the rest of your chores faster (if we really believe everything that you said before ). Kidding aside, l do not icefish but my son does and wonder what diameter holes you recommend on a large resovoir that holds some big trout. Thanks.......badbull

07-Feb-20

Rut Nut's Link
“Rut Nut, will that push a 10” auger?”

As a matter of fact.................... ;-)

08-Feb-20
X2 on the Milwaukee 18v Fuel or a battery powered Milwaukee hole hawk. It drills 10 inch holes like butter and you don’t have to worry about trying to start the damn thing when it’s -20 on the lake. Very dependable, light weight and beats the brakes off an ol hand auger, more lightweight and dependable than that ol gas auger too. Seems to still be working for CNelk as those are some beautiful lakers that he’s pulling through the ice. Great job Brad, but RutNut is right, 1981 just put out an APB on that old ass auger.

08-Feb-20
Rabbit Ears got 54" in that storm! Hard to imagine.

08-Feb-20
Winter kill and a nice run off that’ll last well into July. This sucks. Looks like tailwater fishing for a lot of the summer.

08-Feb-20
Don’t panic, March thru May might be dry, and all will be good. There are still parts of the CO where snow pack is below median.

Matt

08-Feb-20
Brad I heard about the lines. Sounds like they need to get rid of OTC ski passes too!!!

08-Feb-20
And then when you see the traffic heading into the mountains Friday afternoon and Saturday to stand in lift lines and back down Sunday makes you wonder. Maybe OTC hunting not so bad!!

08-Feb-20

PECO's Link
https://www.facebook.com/snowbrains/videos/187573042450713/

08-Feb-20
Happy I don't work on Vail mountain anymore.

09-Feb-20

cnelk's embedded Photo
cnelk's embedded Photo

10-Feb-20
Of the 3 deer that survived last years print button 2 got whacked by cars... I sure hope that big girl has twins. But one thing is certain, you can count on LOTS OF OPPORTUNITY.

10-Feb-20

Treeline's embedded Photo
Treeline's embedded Photo
Had to get some equipment in to push back yesterday... getting another bumper crop!

10-Feb-20
We got another foot yesterday . Supposed to snow more today.

10-Feb-20
That CO skiing looks like not getting your money's worth. Two runs per day perhaps? At Vail's prices? I'll pass. I'd go to Telluride.

10-Feb-20
That was the gondola from Vail Village. Once you get up the mountain it thins out a little. There are other ways to get up the mountain. I still would not be there on a day like that. A friend that lives up there, told me he went to a different resort, an no lines at all, on the same day.

10-Feb-20
14 inches two days ago, followed by a balmy -35 Saturday night. So far, 6” today. Leaving to plow. Yesterday was sunny and in the single digits after the -35. Took my beagle out after hare and it was a great run for 4 hours. Built a fire, cooked sausage, and had a tea after I caught up with my beagle a mile from my truck. I was 7 miles in a logging road so it was peaceful. Just a grader plowing out the wood yards. With about 3 feet in the woods it is going to get rough on the deer, but they have had it easy up to now. My beagle pushed a lynx out and he ran on top of the snow like it was bare ground.

10-Feb-20
looks cowd.....

10-Feb-20

First chair Monday morning. Getting a few runs in before going to the office.

10-Feb-20

cnelk's embedded Photo
cnelk's embedded Photo
First on the lake at 0700 this morning. 8 degrees and lots of fresh snow. Fishing sucked but had the lake to ourselves

11-Feb-20
Fishing has not been good down my way either.

11-Feb-20
I gotta hand it to you ice fisherman. I've tried it and didn't care for it, at all. Give me a fly rod, a drift boat, a good buddy or 2, and sunny warm temps and I'm a happy camper.

I think Dirks chart clearly shows there's no reason to fret about the wildlife this winter, yet. With the highest area only 31% over median snowpack, and the rest of the state between 4% and 25% above normal, the animals should be doing just fine. And this spring should be green and luscious for them. The fish are going to be fat and happy too.

Matt

11-Feb-20
Every time I see this thread title pop up I forget which website I'm on for one quick second.

11-Feb-20
We got another foot yesterday . Supposed to snow more today.

11-Feb-20
Brad, I rather have a lot more people on the lake and fish biting :) I am heading up to Lake John on thurs and Fri.

11-Feb-20

kadbow's embedded Photo
kadbow's embedded Photo
Rest area top of vail pass yesterday.

11-Feb-20
Love it!! Antler growth is going to be spectacular this year!!

Matt

11-Feb-20
Have never understood how ice fishin works? Ya gotta have the spot spotted before freeze up? Seems to me ya can't move. Good luck folks, would like to try it sometime with someone that knew what they were doing. In KS we never get ice I trust.

11-Feb-20
Took the family skiing the same day as that Vail pic. Maybe 15-20 people in the lift lines at our spot and its 1/2 hour closer with very little traffic.

11-Feb-20
85 here today :)

11-Feb-20
Keepemsharp where in ks are you Iv iced as far south as Scott lake once and a few times up around hoxie

11-Feb-20
Hopefully, GG.

13-Feb-20
PA hasn't had moveable snow yet in 2019-2020

13-Feb-20

Jaquomo's embedded Photo
Jaquomo's embedded Photo
Prople who don't ice fish can't understand the attraction. First time for my gf in December and within a couple minutes a big rainbow was sharking around her lure, she got so mesmerized watching it that she forgot to set the hook. Now she has it down, and there's a lot of laughing and squealing going on while we're reeling them in.

As far as moving, with a portable insulated flip hut you just flip the top, pull the sled to a new spot, drill a couple holes, and you're fishing again within a couple minutes. For deeper water where sight fishing isn't practical, we use color flashers so sensitive they will show a water bug swimming by.

I've won several thousand dollars in derbies and tournaments but nowadays I only fish for fun close to home.

13-Feb-20
Weather and ice/snow permitting, we can easily drill 30-40 holes in a morning, moving around to find the fish

13-Feb-20
Those Palominos are a cool fish. They put a couple of those in our stretch with some other stocked Rainbows this summer. I like being able to read the water better by studying how they spend their day in the various columns and how to better fish the real fish (not stockers) in the river. Unfortunately, once the eagles arrive, it's over for my Palominos...

13-Feb-20
That's an absolutely beautiful Golden, Lou. But your GF's hands look mighty cold. ;-)

Did you keep that fish and eat it, or release it? If I ever caught one that size, I'd be inclined to mount it.

Matt

13-Feb-20
I have a hand auger and a few rods. No shelter, fish finder, underwater camera, or other high tech stuff. I just know the lake pretty well, if the fish are not there when I set up, I wait. They will come through.

13-Feb-20
Wait til you guys see the new Garmin Panoptix………………………………… ;-)

I can't justify almost $2K for a fish finder, but for those who can afford it, it is a game-changer!

13-Feb-20
Jaq, that is a great pic of GF and fish. She sure shows a lot of spunk to be out there in the cold on the ice and obviously enjoying the fishing. I have a great wife but I don't think that I could ever get her out there (at least for very long). Good for both of you.......Bob

13-Feb-20
She put down her IPA, bundled-up and emerged out of the 70 degree hut for the photo...

Matt, I stock hundreds of them every year in the lakes I manage. We smoked that one but I usually put everything back because I'm not crazy about trout wxcept smoked. They're strange fish, grow faster than regular rainbows, but regular rainbows like to hang with them so when we see a couple we know there are other fish below them to cast to. We sell a lot of daily guest passes to people who come up from the Front Range to try to catch one.

13-Feb-20
Golden trout possess white, mushy meat. I too don't care for trout like other people do. I like it but, they are far behind a catfish, bass, or perch caught from cold water. Or, a walleye, crappie, brim, or red eye caught from any temperature water. Anyways, as far as golden trout are concerned, they are the worst for table fare of any of the trout species.

• Sitka Gear