BULELK1 08-Feb-20
TENPOINT 09-Feb-20
Glunker 09-Feb-20
tkjwonta 09-Feb-20
HDE 09-Feb-20
wildwilderness 09-Feb-20
BULELK1 12-Feb-20
07-Feb-20
15 bonus points going into 2020 draw central mtns manti /wasatch mtns any suggestions?

07-Feb-20
Near Electric lake there used to be some good spots, but I have not been there since it burned a few years ago. The ridges look fairly flat and easy hiking, but the canyons are steep and you almost need your hands and feet to climb out of them. Good luck

07-Feb-20
My son and I are in your exact position. 15 each. Trying to decide what to do.

07-Feb-20
Central mountains manti is massive, but has some very nice bulls. Like I said big country. Are you putting in for the any weapon in September?

07-Feb-20
15 points for archery? I would consider the dates for this year. The season will END on September 11th this year just as action starts. It’ll be tough. I’ll still apply but know first hand how tough it’ll be.

07-Feb-20
Dates is a big issue to me. I may even go for a dreaded rifle tag :)

07-Feb-20
I'd suggest to not get your hopes too high just yet. You could draw, but it's probably just as likely that you won't. Good luck, though! You've got way better odds than the Utah tag I just applied for.

07-Feb-20
I'm with yzf on this one. The archery dates are terrible if you want success on a mature bull in that unit. They won't be bulging and chasing cows. My grandpa cashed his points out on archery tag for that unit years back, it was a very tough hunt, he did have a couple close calls, but that was from sitting at well used trails etc. We didnt here a bugle until the second to last day of the hunt. I have hiked many a mile in that unit if you have questions, feel free to pm me

07-Feb-20
Utah really sets up there limited entry elk tags for the rifle. Hunting elk with a gun during the rut. It's always irritated me. Nothing wrong with killing a big bull with the rifle, just not for me and some that I know.

07-Feb-20
My wife also had this archery tag a couple years ago when it ended early. Let’s just say it wasn’t exactly a marriage building experience. She did have one really close call though.

For comparisons sake, I have MANY more encounters in Idaho OTC units I know well vs the “lower tier” Utah archery units I sort of know well.

07-Feb-20
I would love to hunt Utah on a archery L.E. tag again some day. I hunted there two years ago and it was way better than I anticipated and a blast. Yes earlier than I like, but bugles where to be had, bulls where to be had, and it was a unforgettable experience. Going in you know what your up against with the dates, its most likely not going to change, just go and have fun.

07-Feb-20
Utah really sets up there limited entry elk tags for the rifle. Hunting elk with a gun during the rut. It's always irritated me. Nothing wrong with killing a big bull with the rifle, just not for me and some that I know

Agreed...Utah is backwards on many other hunts too Every state hunts elk in the rut with archery gear, but Utah...irritates me

08-Feb-20

BULELK1's Link
Well stated Don K that is very truthful.

I'm going for my 3rd LE Bow Elk tag (Ressy) and the dates are basically the same for years.

I would love to get a Velvet Bull on the opening August wknd! before they are all rubbed hard horn.

If ya need to double check your Odds, see my link above. Top left by Content click and the dropdown gives species specific odds to click on-------->

'Ya gotta Believe'!

Good luck, Robb

09-Feb-20
Yes the hunt i have in mind would be LE archery thank you for bringing to mind earlier dates as this might dampen the quality of the hunt central mountains manti would be the better choice i think

09-Feb-20
I hunted Mt Dutton archery in 2018 and think the season ended on the 14th. If it was me with 15 pts and thought I had enough points to wait for better dates, I would wait. I tagged on the 10th.

09-Feb-20
Another item for thought, the dates will likely influence others as well, so it could be tougher to draw in years with later dates. So if you wait for later dates, you might be a victim of point creep, especially since many NR elk units have few if any bonus tags.

09-Feb-20
15 NR points I'd look to different units.

Depending on the unit, I have shot cows in LE units Labor Day weekend standing in front of 350" bulls that were vocal all morning.

09-Feb-20
The muzzy dates look pretty good this year

12-Feb-20
It might not hurt to Cross Reference the Gen Muzzy Deer dates with the LE Muzzy Bull dates...…...definitely some Crowd control issues!

Good luck, Robb

• Sitka Gear