Brun 09-Feb-20
Grey Ghost 09-Feb-20
Jaquomo 09-Feb-20
RK 09-Feb-20
Busta'Ribs 09-Feb-20
tobywon 10-Feb-20
Treeline 10-Feb-20
07-Feb-20
It's November 22nd in the peak of the Mule Deer rut in central Colorado. The forecast is calling for unusually warm weather in the 70's all day. You have access to 1500 acres of prime ground, including your own and surrounding neighbor's properties. You have guests showing up later in the evening, which will limit your hunting time for the next week. What is the correct decision to make, as you sip on your coffee at 4:30 AM?

A. Go back to bed. The weather is too hot and the deer won't be moving, anyway.

B. Hunt a stand in a known shady bedding area.

C. Glass the properties early to locate a good buck, wait for him to bed, then devise a plan to put a stalk on him.

D. Hunt a stand over a watering hole.

Answers and new questions will be updated daily. Thanks for playing.

Matt

07-Feb-20
Sounds like someone trying to show up Pat's game...

07-Feb-20
B - because you also want to be in the shade and out of the sun. Stalking is too much work and you don't feel like sweating.

07-Feb-20
I’m guessing it’s not the 70’s in the morning so I’d hunt.

07-Feb-20
C. I’m an expert at stalking muleys

07-Feb-20
I'm going with C.

07-Feb-20
B

07-Feb-20
Matt, I don't know mulies, so can I go with a bait pile;-)

07-Feb-20
C he should want to stay bedded in the shade. Guests aren’t allowed in November unless they’re there to hunt

07-Feb-20
Assuming that glassing is a productive approach in that area, that’s the way I’d go here.

Stalking is NOT “work”; 70° is not “hot & sweaty” weather. And putting the sneak on an animal when you know where it is.... that’s pure hunting right there.

I HATE sitting on stand. I do it sometimes when filling the freezer is top priority, but jeeze Louise... I normally spend about 50 hours a week parked on the seat of my pants, and another 10 driving my commute. And SITTING is the absolute LAST thing I wanna do in the minuscule amount of Me Time that I get every year....

Sign me up, Matt! I think I’m gonna like this one WAY better than Pat’s...

07-Feb-20
C. Although the classic "spot, put em to bed, stalk in" might not be as effective in the rut with increased day time movement, there's no way I'm sitting in a stand for mulies if there's any other option.

07-Feb-20
D.

07-Feb-20
C. I got the glass.

Followed by E. Go KILL him!

My every day mule deer hunting plan.

Keep it simple.

07-Feb-20
“D”. It’s Nov 22 those does will be bringing the bucks to the water hole. No buck with testicles is going to be sleeping under a shade tree by himself. He will be with does and even if he beds there so many eyes and noses in the area to sneek in and usually a few of deer are on there feet as it’s the antsy time of year. Alway potential for interloper to show up at any moment and stir things up.

Sit in the stand and rest up that guest coming in late evening will show you appreciation for your decision.

07-Feb-20
I’m voting for E - there’s just enough time for a quick deer drive.

07-Feb-20
Not playing without pics

08-Feb-20
Go call in a big muley buck and kill him. Then go have a beer.

08-Feb-20
This must be a gun hunt, because the archery season is closed on November 22 in central Colorado west of interstate 25

08-Feb-20
E - put another shot of doe cream In your coffee, wait for your guests to arrive and put on a good ole deer drive to knock one down!!!

08-Feb-20
C for my style. I might say D if you had put out a pile of corn :-)

08-Feb-20
How about E figure out where the does want to go and get in front of them?

08-Feb-20
The problem with C is that on November 22nd, any "good buck" is likely going to be surrounded by does looking in every direction when he beds, unless he is sequestered with a lone doe. Then C is an option. Much easier to call/decoy him away from does than try to sneak through that near-impossible gauntlet.

08-Feb-20
ANSWER #1 - The correct answer is D.

Obviously, you should never skip an opportunity to hunt during the rut, and going back to bed would be pointless after having coffee. Generally speaking , you should never hunt bedding areas, instead leave those areas as sanctuaries where the deer feel comfortable, so they stick around. I gave a partial score of 3 points for answer C, since spot and stalk is always an option. But, the dry, hot, calm weather would make stalking difficult, and the older bucks are always with does during the rut, which makes getting within bow range nearly impossible. Hunting over a watering hole is the best option, since the bucks are dogging does relentlessly, combined with the hot weather, they will need water at some point.

Stay tuned for Question #2

08-Feb-20

Busta'Ribs's embedded Photo
Busta'Ribs's embedded Photo
I killed this Colorado buck under similar circumstances (may have been a little cooler) at roughly the same time of year, by glassing him up at first light and watching him bed. He was with a dozen or so does. I got lucky and he bedded in a vulnerable spot so I slipped into 35 yards and shot him. He ran 50 yards and stopped, looked back at me trying to figure out what the hell just happened, and promptly fell over. So I’d pick C.

08-Feb-20

Grey Ghost's embedded Photo
QUESTION #2

Here’s the setup. It’s a tree stand overlooking a watering hole on your neighbor’s property. It’s located only 30 yards from the landowner’s 2-mile long driveway into his ranch house. It’s a mile hike to the stand from your back door. It’s 1 hour before sun up, the skies are clear, stars are out, and there’s no wind. Should you …….

A) Leave now , under the cover of darkness using your headlamp, hike to the stand, climb up and get settled in well before shooting light.

B) Ride your e-bike to the stand using the landowner’s driveway.

C) Heat up a bagel, have another cup of coffee, visit the “reading room”, then hike to the stand with enough light to insure you don’t spook any deer getting in.

D) Fire up your pickup and drive to your stand, parking a short distance away, since the deer are used to trucks going back and forth thru the property.

08-Feb-20
B

08-Feb-20
What if you don't have a huntable waterhole, or they are watering at a tank in the sagebrush after dark?

08-Feb-20
D

Plains muleys are used to pickups and will stand and watch one drive past as long as it doesn't stop. Parked pickups don't bother them in the least.

08-Feb-20
I’m going with E again the does are always in belvas garden so I need to drive to her house and be in the barn before the does make the garden bringing the bucks right past

08-Feb-20
I’m going with D

08-Feb-20
Before the ebike I would have gone with D but the ebike is now in play so I'm going with B

08-Feb-20
Bloodtrail, I believe this is based on GGs actual successful hunt this year, not fake news. No corn piles allowed in CO.

Problem with hiking in is that you could scare everything along the way and in the open plains country where this hunt is taking place, they can see a loooong distance. You could scare the entire herd into the next county. Driving, not.

08-Feb-20
D for me, unless you don’t permission from the neighbor, then you better sneak in! :-)

08-Feb-20
I'm going with B.

Didn't think this was a the real deal and Matt was just pulling Pat's d!ck, so I didn't answer question 1.

08-Feb-20
As I already stated, I have permission on all the properties. I should also clarify, the hike from my house to the stand is a straight 1 mile hike thru timbered country just like you can see in my picture above. To use the landowner's driveway would mean an additional 2 mile roundabout detour.

Keep in mind, Lou hunts further east of me in much more open and barren country on the plains, so his methods may vary from mine.

This is definitely a real hunt from last year, and I'm not manipulating the story to support my decisions.

Matt

08-Feb-20
D My bike don't have a E in the front.

08-Feb-20
Matt just got his E bike this year I thought?

Don't know squat about mulies, but with whitetails vary the approach so they don't pattern you and eventually you will punch a tag.

08-Feb-20
Question 4

Back out, come back in the morning, deer will be dead in the thicket within 100 yds

08-Feb-20
A

08-Feb-20
It appears my audience has maxed out, so I'll step up the pace of my challenge.

AMSWER #2 - The correct answer is C.

It’s peak rut. Deer could be anywhere between your house and the stand. Quietly stalking your stand with enough light to see deer before spooking them is the logical choice. It could also result in a possible close encounter on the way to your stand. Besides, it’s always a good idea to put a little food in your belly after coffee, and rid your system of last night’s food before heading to your stand. Riding any type of vehicle to your stand is not a good idea. These are private ranches with metal cattle gates that can be heard opening and closing from miles away on a calm morning. While it’s true that most plains mule deer aren’t bothered by trucks as long as they are moving, if you stop and park, the deer are immediately alerted and will avoid the area. I gave a partial score of 3 for hiking in before daylight, but there’s really no point in risking spooking deer in the dark, just to sit in your stand for 45 minutes waiting for shooting light.

Question #3 shortly.

08-Feb-20
QUESTION #3

You successfully get to your stand without spooking any deer. There is still no wind, and none forecasted. What should your next move be?

A) Immediately crawl up into your stand and get ready.

B) Carefully glass the immediate area to make sure there are no deer within sight, then crawl up into your stand.

C) Confirm there are no deer within sight, set off a Buck Bomb at the base of your tree stand, then crawl up into your stand.

D) Do a short rattling session from the ground, then quickly climb into your stand and get ready.

08-Feb-20
B, after spraying Nose Jammer at the base of my stand. If I hunted out of treestands.

To the previous question, I've found that plains muleys aren't spooked by a vehicle stopping as long as they cant see it stop. Depending upon where I'm hunting, I can often drive to within a few hundred yards of my natural ground blinds in full view of the deer, parking in a ditch, behind a rise, or other feature.

08-Feb-20
We’re not hunting in your spot, Lou. Apples to oranges.

08-Feb-20
I don’t spose the answer matters much Until pat answers then the answer will automatically be the opposite

08-Feb-20
Couldn’t care less how Pat answers. He’s not a Mule deer hunter in my area. But I hope he’s paying attention.

Matt

08-Feb-20
Question 2, I would preheat my thermos, brew an espresso, wake the wife for a morning, grab thermos filled with espresso, a pack of pop tarts, and still hunt to the stand.

08-Feb-20
Q3=A

09-Feb-20
A for me

09-Feb-20
Q3=B

09-Feb-20
Q3 - A.

If you've already stalked to your stand it should be clear to climb up.

09-Feb-20

For a bit more perspective, here is the view off of my rear deck this morning. My area is hilly ponderosa pine forests, not cottonwood creek bottoms out in the sagebrush plains.

Matt

09-Feb-20
I have to assume you have an ebike since it was an option, and I can’t think of a better use for an ebike than a pre-dawn entrance to a stand just 30 yards off a paved driveway, especially on a warm morning when I’m certain to sweat up on the hike in. Im wondering what you use the bike for in that country if not for a set up like this. But I’m primarily a Whitetail hunter, so you sucked me in on this one.

I’m not trying to be a d!ck but in 40 years of bowhunting, I honestly never remember checking the weather and seeing “no wind” forecasted. Light/Variable maybe, but that usually never lasts a whole day. So that clue is a head scratcher. From the photo posted, the country doesn’t look flat, and with the warm temps forecasted, I’d at least expect rising thermals through the am, so I’d certainly be set up in bow range on the uphill side of wherever I expect the deer to be coming into the water, regardless of where the stand is. So, I’d use my wind check powder the verify the wind direction (again I’ve never seen the powder just drop to the ground), and if it’s variable I’d be uphill, if that’s where the stand is I’d climb in, if not, I’d brush in somewhere if possible. If there were no good spots to brush in, I’d back off uphill and glass, then go from there if a good buck showed up. I didn’t see this option so I guess I get a zero!

And Fubar, you make a good point about Pat. The real problem with this game is we will never know the right answers unless he plays.

09-Feb-20
Busta,

The e-bike answer was thrown in for entertainment value. I didn't own an e-bike until a month ago. Even if I had one for this hunt, I wouldn't have used it. Despite the advertising claims, e-bikes are not as quiet as walking on loose gravel roads. And there's also the problem of 3 cattle gates between my house and the stand, which are extremely noisy. The option of a short 1 mile sneak thru timber, versus a 3-mile e-bike ride thru multiple gates on noisy gravel roads is a no-brainer for me.

You make a good point about thermals, that's why my stand is located on the uphill side of the watering hole.

Matt

09-Feb-20
ANSWER #3 - The correct answer is B

Always scan the immediate area before climbing into a stand. There’s nothing worse than getting busted when you are half way up the tree. But I didn't choose B, I chose option C. I have a box full of Buck Bombs that I had never tried, so I said WTH. The bomb’s hissing sound was lot louder than I was expecting, and I also took an indirect hit to the side of my face from the spray. I nearly gagged. Rattling during the peak of the rut is mostly pointless. The older bucks have already established their pecking orders and are usually over their fighting stage. Occasionally you’ll see a full-on brawl at this point in the rut, but it’s not too common with Mule deer.

Question #4 in a few.

09-Feb-20
QUESTION #4

You've settled into your stand with the aroma of deer piss still reeking on you, and in the air, when you get your first nicotine craving of the morning. It's still early, and you don't expect deer to show up at the watering hole until later in the morning when the temps get real hot. What should you do?

A) Leave the cigarettes in your pocket, man up, and get over your disgusting nicotine habit.

B) What for 15 minutes and hope the craving goes away.

C) Go ahead and fire up a smoke, if it makes your sit more enjoyable. Nothing could overpower the piss smell, anyway, and the deer won't be there for a few more hours.

D) Have a dip instead, because deer love the smell of Cope Wintergreen Long cut.

09-Feb-20
GG, I know my spot is somewhat different than yours. However, some of the biggest bucks we've rattled in have been between Nov 20-25. Tom killed a 182 that ran to his rattling on Nov 23, and I missed an honest 190 (with stickers) on the 24th when my recurve string slipped off frozen fingers.

09-Feb-20
I don't doubt that Lou. I think your area has a higher big buck to doe ratio than mine. I've only had success rattling in the pre-rut in early Nov, and it's usually the smaller bucks who come in out of curiosity.

Matt

09-Feb-20
Q4=C Smoke em if you got em. Some say deer don't care about cigarette smoke. If you are a smoker and brought them you are going to smoke, so smoke.

09-Feb-20
Ditto on what Peco said

If it makes a difference in seeing a deer or not you may never even know.

Hunting should above all be fun and smoking may make it more fun for you.

Taking any of this too seriously is silly

09-Feb-20
^^^^ +1 RK.

I've gotten grief from purists who believe muley hunting should only be spot-stalk, because I call and use decoys. I hunt for fun, and calling with decoys makes it more fun for me. Hunt how you want.

09-Feb-20
Matt, I missed the first couple days of this, but it's a fun way to recap a hunt. I struggle a bit with the whole idea that there is a correct answer to these questions though. Just as you used the buck bomb to see what would happen, I would probably have used the e-bike to see how it worked. I also have never sat in a tree or smoked a cigarette so pretty hard for me to answer. Anxious to see how the hunt evolved though. Carry on.

09-Feb-20
Brun,

You're a smart man. The whole point of this is to demonstrate there are no absolute correct answers when it comes to hunting, unlike what some people seem to believe.

Matt

09-Feb-20
C.

09-Feb-20
I say C If you need it I’m sure you won’t sit still if you’re needing a fix

09-Feb-20
C.

09-Feb-20

ANSWER #4 - The correct answer is A.

You should quit a nicotine habit, not because it may improve your hunting, instead because it may improve your health and happiness for the rest of your life. I gave a partial score of 3 points for answer D. Back when I dipped, deer routinely came in and licked branches that I had been spitting on below my stand. But I didn't do either of those. I chose answer C, because that first smoke of the morning is always so nice, especially while watching a gorgeous Colorado sun rise from a treestand.

09-Feb-20
I don’t smoke. My vice is whisky. So I substituted some George Dickel 12yo for the smokes, picked c, and had a pull from my flask after my long ebike ride. Now I have a better chance of hitting one if he shows up.

09-Feb-20
QUESTION #5

You're enjoying your smoke, and thinking about your empty freezer and all the bucks you've passed on to this point in the season, when you hear rustling in the bushes directly behind your stand. You turn to see a doe at 30 yards heading right to your tree at a quick pace, with a respectable 4x4 buck in tow. What should you do?

A) Quickly put out your cigarette and get ready to shoot.

B) Forget about the cigarette and get ready to shoot.

C) Pass on shooting the buck, because he's not one of the monsters that you've seen in the area.

D) Shoot the doe. You have an either sex tag, and she'll be better eating anyway.

09-Feb-20
A-B-C-D. ALL great answers

That's my choice

09-Feb-20
Also. DO NOT put out the smoke Way to expensive these days

09-Feb-20
#5; A. Don't take chances with fire. Whack the doe if it's a sure thing.

09-Feb-20
A, because I'd be afraid of burning the string if I tried to draw and anchor with a coffin nail or doobie still in my mouth. But B is an option because I could drop the smoke onto the base of the stand without taking the time to crush it out.

09-Feb-20
How much time is left in the season GG?

09-Feb-20
Above question would be pertinent to me also. It's a good spot on private land, I'd hold out (C) if there's a few more days in the season.

09-Feb-20
Busta and Brun,

Our guest will be with us for the next 7 days, and our plans don't include any hunting time for me. There's a 2 week long late rifle season starting on Dec 1st. My next opportunity to hunt will be Dec. 15-31.

Matt

09-Feb-20
C. It’s the rut, so a big buck is my priority. Not shooting a small buck and still have plenty of time left in the season to kill a doe. So C. For sure. I think? (This is a blood trail challenge, after all)

09-Feb-20
empty freezer means shoot whichever deer gives you the best shot first.

09-Feb-20
ANSWER #5 - The correct answer is WHO THE HELL KNOWS?

What I did was option B. I was tired of horn hunting and eating tag soup over the last few seasons. I've never had much luck in the last leg of the season, after the rifles hunters have blasted the crap out of them. And I don't shoot does in my area because I'd like to see the herd grow in population. I was ready for some venison, and I was going to kill this buck if he gave me the shot. I forgot all about the cigarette in my mouth.

There will be blood, I promise.

09-Feb-20
QUESTION #6

You carefully grab your bow and get your release clipped on to your loop. The doe is now directly under your stand, still walking quickly, with the buck just a few feet behind her. You're committed to killing this buck, if you can. What should you do?

A) Wait until the buck is directly under you, then draw your bow and wait for a shot opportunity.

B) Wait for the doe and buck to get out in front of you 10-20 yards, draw your bow, and stop him with a soft doe bleat.

C) Wait for the buck to water, then draw and shoot him while he's drinking.

D) Realize you still have the damn cigarette hanging in your mouth and quickly spit it out.

09-Feb-20
You do what the buck offers. You wait until he offers a shot.

09-Feb-20
Matt, The entertainment value is 100! Hope to some day chase mulies with my bow...

09-Feb-20
D, then B if you can stop him with the right angle for a shot.

No guarantee he won't water facing away, then walk straight away.

09-Feb-20
B and C gotta see what is offered

09-Feb-20
ANSWER #6 - The correct answer is WHO THE HELL KNOWS?

At the pace the deer were moving, they didn't look like animals that were going to stop for a leisurely drink, to me. Spitting the cigarette out never crossed my mind. Besides, the spitting sound could have alerted the deer, or the cig could have landed in my lap and burnt a hole in my brand new First Lite pants. I gave a partial score of 3 points for B. But, stopping deer that are moving quickly straight away from me didn't seem right either. I chose A. I got to full draw when the buck was directly under me, then I tracked the buck with my pin and waited for a shot.

Only 2 questions left, so far I'm the only one to get all the answers correctly. ;-)

09-Feb-20

QUESTION #7

About the time you start thinking the desperation doe bleat might be necessary, both deer stop, and the buck presents a perfect 5 yard slightly quartering away shot. You take the chip shot. It looked and felt perfect. Both deer bound away. You can see your blood soaked arrow sticking in the ground, as well as your still lit cigarette below your stand, after it was ripped from your mouth by your bow string. What should you do?

A) Wait 30 minutes, while watching your cigarette closely to make sure it doesn't start a forrest fire.

B) Text the classic "BBD, BABY!!" message to your 2 closest hunting buddies.

C) Immediately climb down and put the damn cigarette out, you big dummy. Then wait 30 minutes before tracking.

D) Climb down, put the cigarette out, and go retrieve your deer. He won't be far.

09-Feb-20
C

09-Feb-20
E, climb down and finish that smoke, no reason now to let it go to waste!

09-Feb-20
C.

09-Feb-20
C

09-Feb-20

ANSWER #7 - The correct answer is NONE OF THE ABOVE.

The buck only bounded 15 yards, stopped, looked around as if wondering "WTF just happened?" Then he toppled over dead. The pic above was taken seconds after he piled up. Can you see him? Obviously, the cigarette was a priority, so I climbed down and smoked the rest of it as I walked up to my buck.

09-Feb-20

FINAL QUESTION #8

Your buck is down. The weather is heating up quickly. You're a mile away from your home and your truck. What should you do?

A) Gut the deer, drag him to a shady spot, then go get your pickup.

B) Do the gutless quartering method, then pack him out as quickly as you can.

C) Walk to the rancher's house and borrow his pickup.

D) Have another smoke and reflect on a perfectly executed hunt.

09-Feb-20
Gut the deer and drag him to a shady spot. Have another smoke and reflect on a great hunt. Borrow the neighbor's pickup and drink a beer with him (one he offers) as you both go to retrieve your deer.

09-Feb-20
Thus is a classic thread. Love it

09-Feb-20
Question 5 - D then C.

09-Feb-20
Gut the deer and drag him to a shady spot. Reflect on the hunt and decide you'd like to be alive and able to continue hunting for a few more years. Throw away your last pack of smokes and vow to quit. Go get your truck and have a beer or two. You are going to need to be healthy and strong for the tag I KNOW YOU ARE GOING TO DRAW THIS YEAR. Thanks for the read.

09-Feb-20

FINAL ANSWER #8 - The correct answer is WHAT BRUN SAID.

There's no hurry. The deer has been dead for less than 2 minutes. Thank the hunting Gods for their blessings, and vow to earn their blessings for many more years, by quitting your stupid nicotine habit. I gave a partial credit of 3 points for C. But, the landowner/rancher is in his 80s, and I didn't want to bother him. I gutted the deer, drug him to shade, went back for my truck, and had him skinned, halved, and to my trusted processor by noon.

Thanks for playing.

Matt

09-Feb-20
Great thread, Matt, and congrats again on a fine buck!

09-Feb-20
That was lots of fun. All of these blood trail what would you do things are pure entertainment More guys should do them.

09-Feb-20
Love that “WTF just happened” look, as the lights go out... Well done, looks delicious.

10-Feb-20
Congrats....get the sous vide ready!!!!!

10-Feb-20
Wasn’t able to play along after the first question!

Dang it!

Congratulations on a great buck and good luck kicking the habit!

• Sitka Gear