LUNG$HOT 08-Feb-20
elkster 08-Feb-20
jdee 08-Feb-20
Annony Mouse 08-Feb-20
Adak Caribou 08-Feb-20
Inshart 08-Feb-20
fubar racin 09-Feb-20
08-Feb-20
I have an old Garmin 12 that I've used elk hunting for years. I'm looking for a new/used/different hand held GPS unit. I would kind of like one that is capable of taking a pic? When I do a search of GPS units capable of taking pictures, it keeps loading vehicle cameras.

One that I did find is the Montana 680T, but the reviews were not very good. One complaint was that at times - out in the open with a clear sky - the GPS would not acquire satellites. That would suck.

Appreciate any comments / recommendations. The most recent "Bowsite" search was a few years old. Thanks, Bob

**EDIT** would like a good size screen as well.

08-Feb-20
Garmin Oregon 600 or 700 series

08-Feb-20
Why a handheld GPS rather than your phone? I have stopped carrying a separate GPS since the phones work just as well, and have a great camera. Just curious. Thanks

08-Feb-20
Adak, where we hunt our phones don't work - no cell connections.

08-Feb-20
If you have maps download to phone (OnX is one example) you don't need cell service, the GPS will work. Only down side to cell phone as a GPS IMO is battery life. The solution to that is carry a charger.

08-Feb-20
Garmin Montana 650T.

The “T” is the one that takes pictures. Mine gets quick location fixes and never has any problems locating and locking into satellites. Large full color touch screen. Good battery life. I love it.

08-Feb-20
My fist phone gps was incapable of cell connection and worked just fine. I always suggest a phone get put in airplane mode before opening the app as well.

08-Feb-20
Samsung Galaxy with Gaia topo and satellite maps pre-loaded for your entire hunt area.

08-Feb-20
Phone

08-Feb-20
iPhone XR if you want a big screen. Any modern smart phone will do the job. As John and Lou said just pre-download the maps of your hunt area(s) before heading out and your GPS signal always works regardless of cell service or not. Simply put phone in airplane mode to preserve battery life and bring a solar battery pack as a backup if you feel it necessary. I can’t imagine carrying a separate GPS unit over my phone.

08-Feb-20
Or, Samsung Galaxy with earth mate (garmin) maps pre-loaded. Use your phone to take pics, navigate, send texts, anything else you would normally use it for.

Several options out there.

08-Feb-20
I have an iPhone with Gaia on it, it works good but never go into the wilderness without my garmin Oregon 650T it has a good camera. The Montana’s have bigger screens. The T in this 650T is for topo maps in the gps.

08-Feb-20
The GPS chip on phones is separate from the cell receiver. Most phone photos will log the GPS location on photos if you have your phone settings set to do so. With no reception, turning air plane mode on and turning off wi-fi (that chip will keep searching for a connection using battery if not turned off) will increase battery life. Carrying a power pack or solar charger will enable to keep phone battery charged.

08-Feb-20
Phones do not need cell service to work as GPS. There are several apps out there and I really like Gaia GPS but also have onx Hunt. I also carry InReach to communicate and with that, and have the Earthmate app which is a great GPS map. I hope that helps.

08-Feb-20
Thanks, the phone it is.

09-Feb-20
My phone will be my gps until something better comes out much better than my gps except for battery life

• Sitka Gear