wytex 11-Feb-20
longspeak74 11-Feb-20
midwest 11-Feb-20
Inshart 11-Feb-20
Glunt@work 11-Feb-20
cervus 11-Feb-20
longspeak74 12-Feb-20
10-Feb-20
Been considering this rather than a smaller wall tent. Anybody have any real world experience with this tent? Looks like it would work for both family endeavors as well as my Western hunts.

10-Feb-20
Yes. It's a thinner single wall so it needs to be treated after a couple seasons to stay dry. Had a zipper give out. Takes up a lot less truck space than a wall tent and sets up fast. Good for a couple guys with gear and cots.

It's been a handy tent but if you are using it a lot, it probably wont survive to be passed down to your kids without some maintainence.

10-Feb-20
Thanks for the feedback, guys. Recommend adding a tarp to cover floor? Heard they were thin. Good to know they're good in rain/snow.

10-Feb-20
Decent tent. You are not going to like the door lay out if you use it in rain or snow much.

10-Feb-20
I almost bought one but when I read several reviews that they do not take wind well and tear up I passed. Went with the Kodiak Canvas 10x14 deluxe instead.

11-Feb-20
I know you didn't ask but the Cabela's Alaknak I have has stood up to some pretty major storms without a problem. A freak storm in ID that dumped about 8-12" of hail (small hail) and wicked storm in NE that had golf ball sized hail. No damage to the tent in either situation.

11-Feb-20
It's not worth the risk to use it as a "Western" tent. What part of the west isn't susceptible to pretty substantial winds?

11-Feb-20
I will definitely take a look at the Alaknak. I know Cabela's Alaskan Guide Series got some very good reviews...I am also not partial to Cabela's gear, but unfortunately they're close and I can put my hands on the stuff.

11-Feb-20
Getting close to spring sale time at Davis Tent in Denver. Wall tent will hold up better.

11-Feb-20
Getting close to spring sale time at Davis Tent in Denver. Wall tent will hold up better.

11-Feb-20
Wytex - How do those compare to the Kodiak Canvas?

11-Feb-20
I have an Alaknak and a Kodiak Canvas. Can't say enough good things about both of them.

11-Feb-20
We have used the Alaknak for several years and have had no issues at all. We take very good care of it.

I purchased a Kodiak 10 x 14 with the awning and love it. It withstood a nasty, nasty storm in CO a couple years ago, winds over 60mp, and heavy rain almost all night, the Kodiak didn't leak or budge an inch.

11-Feb-20
The Alaskan Guide domes are great for wind and weather.

11-Feb-20
I have the 10x10 outback lodge, 8 man Alaskan Guide, and 12x20 Alaknak.

I can't imagine a tent better in the wind than the outback lodge. After a tornado once my outback lodge was the only tent among literally hundreds that remained in place.

I've been snowed on by at least 12" of snow in each and they all hold up well.

They're all different tents though. The spaciousness is indirectly related to the hassle of hauling the tent and setup time. The outback lodge takes up minimal space in the truck and is very easy to setup but the low sidewalls minimize the usable space when camping. If I'm camping for 2 days solo or with a buddy and want to maximize space in the truck I take the outback lodge. For long hunts/camping trips I use the Alaknak.

Overall if I had to pick one I'd go with the Alaskan Guide for western hunts and family camping trips.

12-Feb-20
Spot on, Cervus. Thanks!

• Sitka Gear