MQQSE 13-Feb-20
TrapperKayak 13-Feb-20
Zbone 13-Feb-20
Grey Ghost 13-Feb-20
MQQSE 13-Feb-20
13-Feb-20

Habitat for Wildlife's embedded Photo
Eastern KS was hit with snow and ice last night that blew through, literally, on the coldest front we have had so far this winter. It was zero out when I got up to do my walk at daybreak.

Deer blew out of my 1/2 acre of beans and winter rye. Thought some pictures might be helpful, none of my cameras worked in the cold so these were taken as Buddy and I left for our walk. The season has been over since 12/31.

13-Feb-20

These are the beans with rye grain. Walking through them there are a lot fewer pods than just two days ago.
These are the beans with rye grain. Walking through them there are a lot fewer pods than just two days ago.
The Thread 'Micro Habitat Project-cont.' gave the specifics to this plot at our home in a semi-rural development. The plot is at the bottom of our property and adjacent to a drainage that has water year round. These prints are from just last night located along the neighbor's fence where we leave the gate open so wildlife can travel along the drainage. These are from just last night!

13-Feb-20

The deer bedded all over our property last night, in the beans, along the edge. The picture is three beds along the edge of taller grass. Hope you can make it out.

13-Feb-20

My cameras were not capturing pictures of deer except a group of bucks that were walking through together most nights. The corn feeder has not had food for three weeks. There was one set of tracks in the snow by it, but the deer must have realized that food source was out. The beans on the other hand you could not find 1 square foot without a print in it.

13-Feb-20
This has to help animals survive the harsh winters and put does in better shape possibly helping carry twins to full term. Body weight, antler development should have a positive impact. Deer and other wildlife should also become used to year around food/cover and use the property more. I was having very few deer visit until the harsh weather hit, and then "BAM". Tells me they know where to go to find food when needed.

I hope others share your winter pictures! Thanks.

13-Feb-20
I used to have 35 acres of woods with a few open acres where I planted food plots. The deer lived there by bunches in the winter. I sold that land a few years ago and miss going out there. I live in a 40 acre woods that I own and have a huge garden that the deer and rabbits love. I have a couple feeders that I keep going until spring. The deer, squirrels, coons, turkeys and birds love it. Yesterday I saw a nice size do eating the Brussels sprout leaves that are still green. They nip the turnips too. I am still eating turnips since it hasn't gotten cold enough to kill them but it is supposed to hit 16 degrees tonight. I am going to pull a few turnips and put in the refrigerator.

13-Feb-20

MQQSE's embedded Photo
3 acre bean plot. I left over 25 acres of corn and beans. Too much!
MQQSE's embedded Photo
3 acre bean plot. I left over 25 acres of corn and beans. Too much!
My main farm is 2200 acres in MO with another 230 in IA. We were late getting most of the corn out due to the weather. This caused the deer to lay off the beans I left standing until January when the weather turned bad. I’m learning little by little how much to leave standing. Sure is fun to see the results year after year.

13-Feb-20

MQQSE's embedded Photo
I run 6 cell cameras all winter long. Not to mention 30 or so traditional type cameras.
MQQSE's embedded Photo
I run 6 cell cameras all winter long. Not to mention 30 or so traditional type cameras.
What I have learned from deer activity with relation to weather and food from the cell cameras I run all winter long has been invaluable.

13-Feb-20

MQQSE's embedded Photo
The cell cams on the corn and bean plots help me decide when to go antler picking.
MQQSE's embedded Photo
The cell cams on the corn and bean plots help me decide when to go antler picking.

13-Feb-20
Killed a nice buck coming into a millet field next to our house one snowy cold TG morning a few years ago. Tracks all over the field, and when I gutted him, he was full of millet seeds. I like hunting cold/snow best because the deer are very predictable on feed.

13-Feb-20
That bean trail has got to be the straightest deer trail I've ever seen...8^)

13-Feb-20
Good on all you habitat managers. I wish more hunters would get on board, instead of bitching about how we are "controlling" the wildlife at the average Joe hunter's expense.

Matt

13-Feb-20
MQQSE,

Good job sir. Thanks for leaving some for the wildlife!

13-Feb-20

MQQSE's embedded Photo
Deer carbo loading tonight.
MQQSE's embedded Photo
Deer carbo loading tonight.

• Sitka Gear