Ron Niziolek 18-Feb-20
wildwilderness 18-Feb-20
LONEBULL 18-Feb-20
midwest 18-Feb-20
Ron Niziolek 18-Feb-20
Bowboy 18-Feb-20
KHNC 18-Feb-20
13-Feb-20
If i win and get drawn for the BOW commissioners elk tag, I will probably choose Area 124. What area would you go for?

13-Feb-20
I was thinking 124 or one of the Flaming Gorge units- 3x. (I have time to research before I decide!)

13-Feb-20
If I was tight on time probably 100. If not 31, 32, maybe 16.

13-Feb-20
"If I was tight on time probably 100. If not 31, 32, maybe 16."

You sound like me on decisions .LOL

13-Feb-20
I'm making Ron and Jason take me.......one can help call and the other can fight off grizzlies! :)

13-Feb-20
I was always chasing 124 but if I won, I would go back to the unit I've hunted the last 2 years. Only this time, I would hold out for a bigger bull....lol.

It's fun to dream!

13-Feb-20
What's the "BOW commissioners elk tag" and how does it work?

Matt

13-Feb-20
Bowhunters of Wyoming raffle tag. If you win, you get a tag of your choice in an Area of your choice for the entire state. In addition to any tag drawn.

13-Feb-20

midwest's embedded Photo
midwest's embedded Photo

13-Feb-20
This is the first year I've opted out of the drawing, I know where I'd go. . . . but I have no time, as I expect to draw a General tag. . . .

I'll be back in the game next year!

13-Feb-20
"When" I win I will just ask some of the BOW members I know where I should go and whether or not they would like to come! Then I will wake up tagless and take the dog for a walk:-)

13-Feb-20
Bake, the tag is transferrable. I'll gladly give you your fifty bucks back! :-)

13-Feb-20
I'm gonna ask Ron Nozoliek or Jason Stafford. :)

13-Feb-20
I bet you would Nick!! :) If I didn't think it would sell out, I'd buy a ticket anyways, but it almost always sells out doesn't it?

13-Feb-20
I'd ask Rock Embryo :-)

13-Feb-20
I’d go to Cheyenne and demand they let me hunt Wilderness. If that doesn’t work I’d burn it!

Just kidding. Those SW desert units intrigue me. But the bear country does too.

13-Feb-20
Thanks guys. I never win raffles, so I generally don't pay much attention to them. Good luck to those of you who donate.

Matt

13-Feb-20
If I win, my wife will probably try to have me committed within the month. Between the sleep deprivation, tremors, loss of appetite, hair, and (most likely) my job she’ll probably be successful in her efforts. It’s ok because I’ll have a shit-eating grin on my face the entire time. Then I’ll probably head down to 100 or 124.

13-Feb-20
I'd go back to 124.

13-Feb-20
Ferris

13-Feb-20
I’m still deciding if I want to buy in yet. If I did win I might actually opt for a mule deer tag? Hard choice!

14-Feb-20
Was lucky enough to win one of those back in 2015. Went to 54.

Drew 62 last year.

If I won another one of those tags, I would probably look at 124 or Ferris.

14-Feb-20
Interesting responses! I have wondered about 54. Lots of wilderness. Were you successful in 54? Rifle hunt i assume?

14-Feb-20
Interesting a couple guys would pick area 22 over 124 or 100. Hmm..

14-Feb-20
Guy Eastman always talks up area 22 as a bowhunting mecca. Bet he's never been there.

14-Feb-20
KHNC - no wilderness in 54. Treeline had a good time, well except for the almost dying part:)

14-Feb-20
Ahh, gotcha , i was thinking that was the one up by yellowstone with mostly all wilderness. Must be a different area i was thinking of .

14-Feb-20
I'd have a hard time not taking G deer tag. Obviously undervaluing the tag but I dont know if i could resist!

14-Feb-20
So what could be the expectation for size for antelope, deer and elk on a two week DIY trip? With some expert advice from knowledgeable Bowsiter’s, of course :)

And I see nobody is even considering antelope.

14-Feb-20
Good antelope units in sw. more than 10 pts for nonresident. less than 10percent odds for residents. Good antelope and not much competition

14-Feb-20
KHNC, Ron kinda summed it up.

Ambush,

With a commissioner’s tag you get to pick a hunt code for a regular season for one species.

Wyoming is top of the pile for antelope with potential for a 80”-85” goat in a lot of units. If you wanted to go for antelope, there are a number of options and a lot of guys on here that can certainly help you out.

Mule deer are still recovering a bit a bit but Wyoming has some great deer. The toughest issue there is that some of the best units have an early rifle hunt that is a general tag for residents. Kind of cuts your archery season time down, but if you’re not adverse to picking up a rifle, it could work out for a great buck. Potential there for 200” plus deer but will require some packing in a ways. An outfitter would help and could make it a lot more comfortable. At least no grizzlies and very few wolves.

Lots of variety for elk. The best scoring bulls come from up around Cody. Lots of wolves and bears though. There are a few options that can be very good for low pressure during archery with plenty of elk out of the wildernesses. There are also good elk in a few of the central units that are mixed country with a lot of sage. Unit 124 is a tough draw and big, open sage brush country with big bulls and could be interesting. Elk are elk and tough to get that big one. There is the potential for a 350”-360” or bigger bull in a lot of the draw units for archery and a ton of fun with very little pressure. Lots of great experience here if you wanted to go after elk.

That help?

14-Feb-20
Yes Tavis, thanks. Just counting my chickens before they’re drawn :) Not interested in a gun hunt. I do think it would be very exciting to hunt open country elk but I have the potential to shoot a 320” bull here at home, if I was any good or got lucky and same for good mule deer. It would be the country and experience that would be the big draw.

Antelope is one animal that I can’t hunt as a resident or local. I’d be torn if I did win. Hope I get the chance for it to be a problem choosing!!

14-Feb-20
For cripes sake, Rod, just get a couple antelope points and come down and hunt them. It's the easiest DIY hunt there is!

14-Feb-20
Nick, I have and have a couple of points saved again! I’m a sucker for pretty much anything I can’t hunt at home.

14-Feb-20
The best thing about hunting antelope is getting to eat antelope! I have strict orders not to come home from hunting season in 2020 without at least one.

14-Feb-20
I would much rather shoot a nice muley than a nice bull. But like mentioned the problem in Wyoming is a lot of the good muley areas are otc for residents. I would still probably go for mule deer and ask for pointers on which unit has the best chance to chase quality deer in.

14-Feb-20
Aren’t there some pretty good LE late muley hunts that are LE for residents too?

14-Feb-20
Yes, but they are rifle hunts and late mule deer are tougher in those areas than most would think... crunchy snow makes it almost impossible to pull off a stalk to get in bow range.

15-Feb-20
Curious. Last I looked these were going for about 10k in auctions, what are they going for lately?

15-Feb-20
Usually depending on the organization $10,000-$15,000

15-Feb-20
I’ve already got a bull with my longbow big enough I will never top so I would absolutely opt for a mule deer tag. One of the November limited areas.

15-Feb-20
You can buy a commissioner's tag for $10-15k?!

17-Feb-20
Yep usually you can. This year might be a little harder because there aren't as many for sale.

18-Feb-20
Oh, maybe i should have asked who would put their commissioners tag up for sale if they win it? Not sure if an elk is worth 15,000 to me, or not. Would be tempting to sell it.

18-Feb-20
Legally, you are only able to transfer the tag for what you paid for it...…..

I believe that is still true but maybe someone else will chime in.

18-Feb-20
“ You can buy a commissioner's tag for $10-15k?!”

They aren’t like other states that let you hunt 365 days anywhere in the state. The WY one basically let’s you pick one hunt code and hunt only that unit and season.

18-Feb-20
Ron is correct that you can only sell it for what you paid for it. Chapter 44 Section 12 states that.

18-Feb-20
Moot point, cuz I ain't sellin' it! :-)

18-Feb-20
Because you're coming up to chase bears away from me right Nick?!

18-Feb-20
Yeah Ron but Nick might be able to out run you.:)

18-Feb-20
Well good! Makes the decision easy one then! i am going hunting!

• Sitka Gear