320 bull 14-Feb-20
Busta'Ribs 14-Feb-20
320 bull 14-Feb-20
splitlimb13 14-Feb-20
Thornton 16-Feb-20
Shawn 17-Feb-20
dafish 18-Feb-20
13-Feb-20
Hello , I'm from New Mexico and have taken every species here except bighorn and ibex ( can't draw a tag) I'm interested in hunting White tail in Oklahoma,West Texas , or Kansas. I'm not looking for a trophy necessarily , just a good hunt experience. I don't want a guided hunt or fancy lodging, just more of a farm or ranch I can hunt on for a reasonable price and a decent chance to harvest a buck. Anyone know of any places might accommodate this ? Thank you!

13-Feb-20
Ever thought about hunting them in New Mexico?

13-Feb-20
Yessir, bit won't give up a mule deer choice on my app for one. Coues are fun and we have some White tail here . I just want to hunt an area with the majority of the population being whitetail.

13-Feb-20
WIHA in Kansas... go during the week and during the rut. You'll kill a whitetail. Or there's always public land in Western Oklahoma... easy-peasy. Research and go!

14-Feb-20
I second the Kansas WIHA's. Hunted there a few years and could have killed a buck on each occasion. Don't overlook knocking doors or being friendly at the local diner. Most folks are very friendly and not many bowhunt.

14-Feb-20
I spent 10 days in Nov in western Kansas last year. I had the very good fortune to have a friend take me along and get me access to a lot of private ground that he has access to. He’s spent many years and a tremendous amount of effort and good will acquiring permission to hunt these places. I didn’t kill a deer but we did see some good bucks. We hunted mostly on the private but spent some time hunting WIHA. In my experience, I would not go back if all I had to go on was the hope of hunting WIHA and the possibility of gaining access during my hunt. First of all, the WIHA ground, at least where I hunted, was mostly the less desirable (open prairie, crp or harvested grain fields) ground. Almost all of the prime stuff, the timber or river bottom, was leased and was not WIHA. Second, the WIHA was heavily hunted by pheasant hunters. And last, if you found a good deer on private, or if you found a good piece of private ground that you wanted to hunt, it could take some time to track down the landowner to even try to gain permission. Would I go back? Yes, but only because I already have an inside track on good access. Otherwise, I think I’d be spending most of my time trying/wishing to get on the better ground. Just my two cents from spending some time out there last season.

14-Feb-20
Lol Busta must have better hunting than what I do at home. I do agree there are a bunch of the WIHA that are not all that but I did find a couple of smaller pieces that had great river bottom funnels. This was in north central Kansas near the Hays, Salina area.

14-Feb-20
I appreciate all of the insight. I really would like to put something together for this coming fall and I sure will look into everything you guys are shared with me. If you ever have any questions about hunting New Mexico I would be happy to help you guys!

16-Feb-20
The deadline for application is soon and you'll have to be unit specific. I spend most of January in the places just mentioned and I see very few deer or deer sign. Eastern and SC KS have more deer per sq. mile.

17-Feb-20
I love the fact that guys pass over those WIHA that are all CRP,open prairie and harvested grain fields!! Why, because that is the place to actually kill big bucks. If you have private than fine but it is stupid to overlook those other areas. I hunt a lot of walk in and some of it does not have a tree on it or only one in a thousand acres, I have seen some of my best bucks in those spots. Choose the right couple weeks and most anywhere in Kansas can be good. Shawn

18-Feb-20
Quite a bit of the WIHA in Central/NW Kansas that was really good, has been leased up by guys who found it while it was WIHA.. Talked to a landowner a couple weeks ago who is putting his back in to the WIHA program. He said an outfitter leased it from him and then he found out how much the outfitter was charging hunters and he did not like it.

• Sitka Gear