'Ike' (Phone) 18-Feb-20
IdyllwildArcher 18-Feb-20
billygoat 18-Feb-20
backcountrymuzzy 21-Feb-20
Matt 21-Feb-20
Rut Nut 21-Feb-20
13-Feb-20

DL's Link
Just when I think things can’t get any more stupid here up pops another politician.

13-Feb-20
Idiots!!!

13-Feb-20
I say do it... let California prove to all other states that sound wildlife management works. Let California be the testing grounds for everything gone wrong... Ed F

13-Feb-20
There is an argument that the lack of genetic diversity in the area warrants some sort of action, but jeez guys - that is stupid.

14-Feb-20
This is a good thing. Prevention of killing problem cats in Los Angeles and Ventura counties is some of the best news I've heard come out of California in a while.

14-Feb-20
I have to admit that I don't know squat about LA, but this seems like a terrible idea. Part of me, okay most of me, hopes that the lawmakers pass their stupid law. Then when somebody gets killed the law will swing back to becoming reasonable again. But, the person who dies, probably won't be the lawmakers. And that will be tragic.

14-Feb-20
Is it to late to ad to the wall?

14-Feb-20
There is a reason why the tectonic plates exist there.

14-Feb-20
"exposure to rat poison" sounds promising....

14-Feb-20
Here's the thing: They banned hunting lions which accomplishes nothing other than shifting the killing of cats from hunters to DFG and ranchers. The cats are still dying because you have to do something with excess cats when you have limited habitat.

This change will make the residents of CA actually FEEL the effects of ballot-box legislation. Right now, there is still a quasi-management plan. With this change, there will be no plan.

Cats are territorial. When a young cat has to strike out on their own, if all available territory is taken in the immediate vicinity, they have to keep moving till they find an area, which forces them into human-populated areas. Additionally, all animals have their personalities and some are going to be pet eaters, livestock eaters, and the occasional people eater.

When these cats get established as suburban pet/livestock/people eaters, they are currently shot. With the change, they will be able to continue doing what they do.

It's not going to be a linear problem, but rather an exponential problem because right now, if a female cat is a pet/livestock/people eater, it's not given the chance to reproduce and teach its female kittens (who will then, in turn, reproduce and teach their kittens) to be pet/livestock/people eaters. And she'll teach her male kittens to be pet/livestock/people eaters who will then grow into very large toms capable of things we've not seen before because in a hunter-managed environment, large toms aren't the ones on the edge of suburbia picking off pets and eye-balling your kids.

14-Feb-20
"mountain lions “the symbol of L.A.'s wildlife”....

Should the center of a major city have wildlife, let alone an apex predator? Things that make you go hmmm. Speaking of predators, if the alien "Predator", from the movies, came to Kalifornia and began hunting people, they would probably want to protect it as a threatened species...

14-Feb-20
Ha....true dat, Marvin!

14-Feb-20
Yeah I say do it. With 423 lions killed they may as well have a limited season and are instead controlling numbers with depredation permits 423 is a lot of lions killed

14-Feb-20
“ The city leaders also want to establish a fund to reimburse anyone whose pets or livestock are killed by the animals.”

I wonder what’s the cash reimbursement value of your firstborn child? And are they worth more than the last?

14-Feb-20
For the cats, it is now open season on yoga pants wearing soccer moms, her kids, and Fluffy the family pet.

14-Feb-20
LA has long been known for it’s cougars. Cher, Madonna, Demi Moore,etc.

14-Feb-20
Good point GF

15-Feb-20
My pets are worth millions.

423 is a start. A Zero at the end would be better.

15-Feb-20
Sanctuary cities in California have now changed their focus to add another species.

16-Feb-20
"Mountain lions are not listed as threatened or endangered in California" Yeah, so a couple knucklehead CITY COUNCILMEN are seeking to change that, what fools.

16-Feb-20
423 is not alot of cats when you consider they double in numbers every year. They have no predators. The deer population is in a major decline, which no Politicians gives a crap about, less deer means they are hurting hunters, thats a good thing in this liberal s^&* hole. If only the weather wasnt so nice i could convince my wife to leave.. urggggg

16-Feb-20

Busta'Ribs's Link
Here’s what happens when a coyote gets into a celebrity’s backyard (ok, I realize Calling Michael Rappaport a celebrity may be a reach these days). Imagine what will happen when the Lion’s show up! (Language Warning!)

16-Feb-20
Damn. Does that guy really only know two words??

FWIW, I have a lot more appreciation for coyotes than for feral cats. And let’s face it - ALL cats go feral the minute they step outside...

18-Feb-20
Ed hit it out of park...

18-Feb-20

IdyllwildArcher's Link
And right on queue, a little girl is attacked by a mountain lion in Southern California right in front of her parents.

18-Feb-20
I suggest they use swimming pools as shark nurseries too while they're at it.

21-Feb-20

backcountrymuzzy's Link
That latest attack on the 6 year old was actually in Northern California in Cupertino. I grew up in Cupertino and have hiked around at this busy park many times. I remember seeing a bobcat there when I was young but my mother has seen a lion there once, as well as at another park close by. This is right on the outskirts of where millions of people live, pretty crazy how many cats are in the area. Check out this video from the same park in 2015 of a lion killing a buck

21-Feb-20
They closed that park last summer when a female and 2 cubs became to comfortable around hikers.

A number of years ago I watched a deer get take down by a lion not too far from there while sitting at a stop light on my morning commute (Pagemill and Foothill Expressway, on Stanford property). That was just a couple/few hundred yards from one of the hiking trails to the dish. The Stanford police didnt believe me when I called it in.

21-Feb-20
Busta- just what I would expect from him! He needs to grow a set and face REALITY! The best part was the comments...…………………………….like: "I’d rather have a coyote in my neighborhood than rapaport as my neighbor" ;-)

• Sitka Gear