longbow42 17-Feb-20
12yards 17-Feb-20
Ermine 17-Feb-20
splitlimb13 17-Feb-20
Muledeer> 18-Feb-20
Shawn 18-Feb-20
Bowfreak 18-Feb-20
14-Feb-20
I imagine this combo would only be more effective, but if anyone has experience with Rage mechanicals and 5MM FMJs with 75 grain insert weights on bigger game such as moose please share. I am very very leery of the mechanicals even with the heavy shafts on that game, though many on here have suggested they have had success with them on elk and moose.

14-Feb-20
The mechanicals area not for me like most when rages came out I tried them & was blown away by the huge entrance hole. But quickly realized especially on quartiring away shots or shots involving the shoulder that my penetration & passthroughs were drastically reduced. I went back to fixed 2 edge heads. I do realize that millions of critters have been killed with them & if you like em go for it & the added weight will definitely help with penetration

14-Feb-20
I am sure it would work, but would not be my choice. I have used rage the last 3 years but will be going back to fixed. And this is for whitetail. Would not use rage myself on elk or moose. To many great fixed blades out there.

15-Feb-20
I’m not a fan of either of those. I much prefer the Axis over the FMJ for durability and I’ve seen way to many Rages break. There are better mechanicals out there but for moose, fixed blades all the way.

15-Feb-20
Bou

I would watch some of ranch fairies YouTube videos. He has some good arrow builds. As much as I like fmj’s. I will probably not use them any more. There are more effective ways to make a heavy arrow.

I had to learn how to make an efficient arrow so I could get the most out of my recurve. I took what I learned from that and applied it to my compound.

Broad heads are up to you. I personally like Magnus ser razors or slick tricks. If you are confident in rage by all means use them.

15-Feb-20
I had a bad experience with a Rage on a heavy FMJ, about 500 gr. last fall. I hit a deer in the shoulder blade and got very little penetration. Never found the deer. Don't think I would use them again on anything but turkeys.

TMBB

15-Feb-20
I like a lot of ranch fairy’s stuff but just can’t get on board with 3&400 grain heads on the front of 400 spine shafts out of heavier speed bows

15-Feb-20
I would never consider shooting a Rage or any other mechanical at a moose but yes, the heavier arrow will give you a better chance of sufficient penetration.

15-Feb-20
fubar-the ranch fairy recommends .250-.300 spined shafts for his heavy FOC builds and readily makes fun of .400 spined shafts.

15-Feb-20
Not sure if I want to be getting advice about shaft size or penetration info from someone calling themselves “The ranch fairy”!

16-Feb-20
Yep no bone can withstand a 2219 aluminum shaft and a 125 grain fixed head.

16-Feb-20
I wouldn't do it. I shoulder shot a moose a few years ago with a 525 grain total weight arrow out of a 68 pound bow. Broad head was a 150 gr VPA. I got 17" of penetration and he went down insight. I've shot lots of deer with Rages and I know it would not have ended well if I had shot that moose with one.

16-Feb-20
I just bought 300 spine arrows and have 250 grains up front. Total arrow weight is 535 grains. I made a video in slow motion with my old set up and new arrow set up. I went from 400 spine with 100 up front and man did it make a difference in flight. Stiffer heavier arrows fly like darts from my bow . Groups are tighter too. No more twizzlers for me ;)

16-Feb-20
I'm running 225 up front at the moment, 580 grains total. I'll probably go up another 75-100 grains with my next arrow build. Yep, fly like darts.

16-Feb-20
Just why? Why do you want to use a Rage on a moose?

17-Feb-20
T-roy, LMFAO!! I am shooting a 6mm FMJ with 175 grain fixed head and would shoot it at anything in NA, but not with a rage on the end. No mechanical on any game. Shawn

17-Feb-20
I used Rage for Whitetail only for the last three years and fixed for larger game. I will go to fixed for everything from now on!

17-Feb-20
I use the 150 Trypan on bear and deer with great success but would NEVER use on moose. The hide alone on a moose is extremely thick and tough, let alone their bones. I know people have used them on moose with success, but why risk? A BH like VPA, Iron Will or similar would be a smarter choice. Moose are not hard to kill if you double lung and two holes is better.

17-Feb-20
I had a whitetail shoulder stop a 2317 with a 125-135 grain head way back in the late 80s from a treestand, quartering away. Don't be too confident in shooting through "any" bone with that setup.

17-Feb-20

Ermine's embedded Photo
Ermine's embedded Photo
Rages are over marketed. They are not durable. I think they are fine for deer etc. But I wouldnt use them in elk or moose

I shot my moose with a FMJ and an Ironwill.

17-Feb-20
?????????????? Exodus man. Or another quality fixed blade.

18-Feb-20
look into he SEVRs, they are pretty slick. And come in a slightly smaller profile than the rages. I’ve shot a few critters with a rage and injection settup and wasn’t super pleased with the penetration. Just my .02

18-Feb-20
Tom, shot 80 to 90#s some years ago. I imagine he still shoots heavy poundage. Shawn

18-Feb-20
I was a slow convert to mechanicals, but I will say this....the Trypan is a great broadhead. It has out penetrated any mechanical I have shot on deer. I'll be the first to admit I made a mistake if it happens, but I am so impressed with the Trypan that I am taking them on my Wyoming elk hunt this fall.

I have a friend who shot a shiras moose with a 52lb bow, 350 grain arrow and a magnus stinger and the arrow barely slowed down passing through. I think mechanicals would definitely work with the right setup and there are many on this site I would trust if they had good experiences with mechanicals on larger game.

• Sitka Gear