BC 16-Feb-20
Scar Finga 16-Feb-20
RJ Hunt 16-Feb-20
Scar Finga 16-Feb-20
APauls 16-Feb-20
15-Feb-20

RJ Hunt's embedded Photo
RJ Hunt's embedded Photo
I made/designed this knife to fulfill what I wanted in a “packable” blade and since have put a few in hunters hands with pretty good feedback. This one is Elmax heat treated and cryo treated to rc62. I was a havalon user til I started making my own knives. Those that hunt what type of knife do you prefer? Packable blades like the Benchmade altitude, replaceable like a havalon or a traditional 4” or drop point?

15-Feb-20
Very nice! I'm still carrying a fixed blade and a replaceable blade.

15-Feb-20
I carry a folding Buck(forever) and an Outdoor Edge.

15-Feb-20
For the price I have been carrying the Outdoors Edge. Buy a extra box of blades and the knife is razor sharp again. On elk it usually takes 3 blades, once the blade slows down just a little bit I put a new one in. I have a box full of knives but Outdoor Edge and Havalon is what I like using now.

15-Feb-20
I really won't be able to give you any feedback unless you send me one to test. :)

15-Feb-20
JohnMC- I don’t have any left my friend. They generally find a home as fast as I finish them.

15-Feb-20
It was totally a joke. You do make some nice looking knifes. It something I have thought would be a fun hobby to take up. Maybe when they start making days with more hours.

15-Feb-20
That's a great looking knife. My thoughts are that the blade, while visually excellent, is too "fat" to be very useful. However, I am not your target audience as I now exclusively use an Outdoor Edge EDC replaceable blade knife.

15-Feb-20
I’m just a deer and antelope hunter, but I’ve used all kinds of knives in the 50+ years I’ve been killing game animals, and the ones I use the most are the Outdoor Edge folder with the gutting blade and the cheap Moras from Amazon. The Mora is a good surprise for the price, blade design is pretty good and it will take and hold an edge.

15-Feb-20
It may be an optical illusion but the blade is only just over an inch wide/tall. It is basically a short version of the classic drop point hunter but I get your point. That said, With a full flat grind down to .005 behind the edge will work like a scalpel. I do understand your point though. I am a recovered havalon user.

15-Feb-20
John- I got the joke and yes... is a great hobby but like hunting it can be all consuming. If you do pick up knife making let me know would love to talk shop.

15-Feb-20
Best of all worlds, a fixed blade, high quality steel that holds and edge, but is light weight and comfortable to hold for long periods.

15-Feb-20
I don't use replacable blade knives or broadheads. I use a Buck 110 folder or a few fixed blade knives, drop or clip point. I also like the Canadian belt knife.

15-Feb-20
What a skill! They have all looked great!

15-Feb-20
That looks wonderful to me.... how much?

15-Feb-20
I carry a fixed blade knife mt brother made me. And a havalon. I was using just the havalon but I manage to break a blade every deer when I'm breaking it down in the field. So, I started carrying a fixed blade again to get the legs off at the knuckle and the head.

16-Feb-20
Thanks for all the input. I used a havalon on deer and elk for a few years and never broke a blade. Maybe I am just soft handed (with a knife that is) and take everything apart at the joints. Do many guys actually split the pelvis with their knives? I have heard of it but don’t know if people do that? I just ask cause would change how I would grind the blades for thickness.

16-Feb-20
Nice work!! Will your fingers slip off the metal knife handle if they get bloody? I'd worry about getting a nasty cut if my bloody hand slipped while using the knife.

16-Feb-20
Sweet looking blade. nice skill to have

16-Feb-20
Beautiful knife, I have many hunting knives, - several custom. That said, it’s too easy to cheat now with a Havalon and that’s what I use.

16-Feb-20
JL- I wouldn’t think so. There is jimping cut into the blade and handle where it contacts your hand. I have also had them used in the field with elk and deer no issues yet. That said good point and may look further into. Maybe adding texture to the handle scales. Also Wood guy- I have to agree. A havalon is a great tool and I used one for years and still have one to this day. This is all good feed back thanks guys.

16-Feb-20

RJ Hunt's embedded Photo
RJ Hunt's embedded Photo
RJ Hunt's embedded Photo
RJ Hunt's embedded Photo
Here are a couple more I finished this week. These have exposed tangs for extra grip in the field. I also fill them with a Cerakote to color for highlights.

16-Feb-20

RJ Hunt's embedded Photo
RJ Hunt's embedded Photo

16-Feb-20

Scrappy's embedded Photo
Scrappy's embedded Photo
This little handle combined with a few 60A blades, along with the blade on my gerber multitool as backup. I feel like there is nothing I cant get done in the backcountry.

Those are some really cool looking knives you are making but since making the switch to replaceable blade handle I don't think I'll ever go back to a regular knife

16-Feb-20
I have used many but currently use a set from Knives of Alaska. The larger blade has a gut hook at the top which comes in handy. This are great looking knives you made RJ, works of art.

16-Feb-20
I have one of his knives, and it is a work of art!!! Great craftmanship!!

16-Feb-20
Thanks guys and appreciate the feedback. Appreciate it also Scar-

16-Feb-20
Any time brother, you do awesome work!

16-Feb-20
Hunting around home I’d maybe carry a fixed but in any trip my havalon is coming with. They’re just too convenient and fool proof

• Sitka Gear