Kevin Dill 17-Feb-20
Tao 17-Feb-20
carcus 17-Feb-20
Slapchop 17-Feb-20
rattling_junkie 17-Feb-20
cnelk 17-Feb-20
Whocares 17-Feb-20
16-Feb-20
I was hoping some of you could weigh in on this for me. I will be hunting Saskatchewan. Some of the areas were burned off and have large hills that allow us to see a good distance over drainages or the burnt areas. I've seen where most people call from where they want to shoot from and I've also heard people say they call from one spot and glass from another. Am I better off call from cover lower down or calling from higher up where the call will travel further? Thoughts on what I should do?

16-Feb-20
That dream may be the smallest a man has ever dreamt if it was even important enough to remember once waking up.

16-Feb-20
#1 Make sure you keep the wind direction in mind. A moose's best senses are hearing and smelling! I usually try to call from areas where I have a view...whether it's across a clearcut, meadow, or on a hill. I think you'll be better off calling and glassing from up high with a view. If you spot a bull from up high you can always high-tail it his direction and get as close as possible before doing any calling. If you can't catch up to him or he's heading in the opposite direction it's obviously good to call before he disappears.

16-Feb-20
Are you bowhunting?

16-Feb-20
I hate to admit it on this site, but I will be using a rifle. :)

16-Feb-20
^^ Then sit high and call from there. Better call broadcasting, better viewing and better shot opportunities.

16-Feb-20
I like to call from an elevated position when possible. It may take a while for the bull to come in, sometimes a day or two, sometimes it happens fast, and that's fine, they climb hills. They may not want to come in at all, but being elevated, I've had a great chance of spotting them where they are hanging out. Then I make a move into their area for a close encounter calling session, which is more often than not, in thick cover. This is just one guys opinion though. Good luck and have fun. Calling moose is a lot of fun.

16-Feb-20
Elevated. Bulls have an uncanny ability almost pin point the location of a call from a long distance away. They will come to you.

16-Feb-20
Brush, trees, terrain....all of it is an impediment to sound. Getting above it allows your calling to carry much farther. It also allows a bull to get a much more accurate fix on your location. That said, sometimes you see a bull going somewhere and he simply will not be diverted by your calls. I've witnessed that dozens of times. Instead of pursuing that bull....which is futile at least 80% of the time....you are often better off to let him walk on while you call occasionally. That bull may well come back your way in mere hours (I've watched it happen) or in a day or two. It's almost like this bull has an itinerary in his head and he's going to run through it before he decides to come back and investigate a call.

16-Feb-20
Do you have any experience calling?

16-Feb-20
It’s all about getting the noise out there. Whatever you can do to get the sound the furthest. In this case get elevated. Don’t worry you don’t need to be a pro to kill moose. If you’re hunting Saskatchewan it’s with a guide anyways, so just go where he/she says

17-Feb-20
I’m a firm believer in calling where YOU can be seen from a distance, even while bow hunting. Wear black and if a moose can hear you and see a black thing moving around he is very likely to come over to you. If he can’t see a black object he is way less likely to come to you. Hiding while bow hunting and trying to call the moose in close in thick brush is NOT the way to go. It makes the bull nervous and much more keyed in to every sound you make, any unnatural noise can spook him off. Let him see you from a distance and he will tolerate more unnatural noise and movement. He will lock in on the black shape and display himself and often just walk right up to you. If I see a bull at a distance I will literally run towards him, calling all the way trying to get his attention and have him stop to look at me. Then get as loud as I can do he can hear me to confirm to him that I’m a moose and not some lunatic hunter trying to chase him down!

If we can’t find a good spot with a long view to call for an hour or two or three then we prefer to walk an open cut line, roadway, pipeline etc with a cross wind stopping every few hundred yards to call for 5 to 30 minutes covering 1 to 3 miles then walk back through the same country stopping to call at each of the same spots. Sometimes a slow to get to you bull will respond right away when you come back through the 2nd time.

17-Feb-20
Tao, I'm new to calling. I guess I have to start somewhere. :) That's why I love this site as there is so much to learn and lots of people to help.

17-Feb-20
Calling is calling. Nothing special about calling moose. Same things apply - wind, visibility, setup, etc.

About the only thing different with moose is they take their time coming in, unlike other called in species, like predators.

17-Feb-20
I know several guys who had never called to a moose in their lives, yet went on a successful first hunt. They called in big bulls and killed them. I think you'll do fine on your own with no special skills or secret technique. Plenty of guys here are offering good advice and have gotten it done.

17-Feb-20
There is good advice and some bad....but some guys get lucky every now and then....and don't understand what they are trying to do......look at some of the other posts from over the past couple of years...

17-Feb-20
I set up over water, I start quiet just incase something is close, if nothing responds I crank up the volume

17-Feb-20
I just spent a lot of time hunting moose this winter and stalking moose that were not legal just to practice. What I learned is to absolutely always sound like a moose whenever you aren't stationary. Social grunts and slow meandering movements coupled with pulling on vegetation to intimidate browsing made all stalks easier. In most cases If I had them tense up or stare me down I would just grunt some and keep moving. They would calm down and start feeding again. Not really the broadcast calling during the rut your probably looking for, but just something that may help on a final stalk or keep you from blowing one out on the way in to your calling area.

17-Feb-20
I have the bull magnet and it sounds great, good for raking, and durable.

17-Feb-20

cnelk's embedded Photo
cnelk's embedded Photo
Ive called in a a few moose. Using cow calls, they come right to ya

17-Feb-20
Impressive cn! Maybe overdoin it!

• Sitka Gear