Brotsky 17-Feb-20
DRR324 17-Feb-20
Ucsdryder 01-Mar-20
fubar racin 01-Mar-20
Ucsdryder 01-Mar-20
PABuckChaser 02-Mar-20
DRR324 03-Mar-20
16-Feb-20
So much talk on here about bowtech, hoyt and mathews, but you don’t hear much about prime. This is my second prime bow. My first was a centergy hybrid. It was my first long ata bow and I was a big fan. I figured it was time to upgrade and came across a great deal on a used prime black 3, which is a 33” ata bow.

Specs: 28.5” at 82lbs. 278fps with a 555gr Easton axis 260.

The specs were identical to the centergy hybrid, just a little shorter and a half inch more brace height.

Draw cycle - I had the shop measure my draw weight because I was convinced it was closer to 70lbs than 80. I was shocked when he confirmed it was 82.4lbs. The old centergy hump at the end of the draw was gone and this thing pulled so easy. I shot through the chrono at no limits archery in Denver. My arrow went through the the big layered block backstop and buried into the plywood behind it. I wonder how many arrows have done that!!!

Holding on target was ridiculous as well. I was afraid the shorter ata wouldn’t hold as well, but it held on target much better. I think the wide split limbs added to the stability?

I havent even had a chance to install the peep yet, but was shooting softball size groups at 40. The picture below are my first 2 arrows at 40 once I got the elevation dialed in. The groups opened up a little, but without a peep, I was pretty happy.

Do yourself a favor and make sure you take a look at the primes. Especially now with the adjustable draw length!

Last thing, fit and finish and grip. Prime takes second place to nobody when it comes to fit and finish. The grip is awesome as well!

Consider me the new prime leg humper. We need at least one on the forum! I promise I won’t be as bad as elkman though! ;)

16-Feb-20

Ucsdryder's embedded Photo
40 yards, no peep yet!
40 yards, no peep yet!

16-Feb-20

I need a better picture of the bow!
I need a better picture of the bow!

16-Feb-20

Brotsky's embedded Photo
Brotsky's embedded Photo
Brotsky's embedded Photo
Brotsky's embedded Photo
Only get a Prime if you want to kill stuff :-) Absolutely love mine. Tunes like a dream, most stable platform I have tried, extremely forgiving and accurate.

16-Feb-20
A couple years ago, when I hurt my shoulder and decided I was going to hunt with a compound again, I looked for the Prime bows around these parts. I couldn't find a dealer and decided on a different bow. But, I have always liked the wide limbs thinking it would greatly improve stability.

16-Feb-20
No dealers close by, makes it tough to shoot one.

16-Feb-20
I bought a black 3 in 80 lbs as well. I am very pleased with this bow. I highly recommend that if you’re in the market for a new bow, and you can’t find something you love, try the prime. Very pleased.

16-Feb-20

DConcrete's embedded Photo
DConcrete's embedded Photo

16-Feb-20
I’m loving my prime also just finished arrow testing with it and will now build them all the same. Settled on 739 grains all in shooting 250FPS 84# and 30” draw. That arrow configuration flew best for me out past normal ranges out of everything I tried. I also didn’t believe that mine was 80# when I first drew it back.

16-Feb-20
That’s my bow! Haha. I didn’t know there were so many closet prime users! I might have a line on a prime black 1 in 80lbs. Brown riser with camo limbs. As close to new as you can get. If anybody is interested shoot me a pm.

16-Feb-20
My 555gr arrow at 278fps doesn’t fee quite as adequate anymore fubar...

What arrow are you shouting? I’m barely spined enough with my Easton axis 260s.

16-Feb-20
My 2016 Prime Rival (35" A-A and 6.5" brace, 340 IBO) has been the best mountain hunting bow I've used. Stone, Dall, Polar, Blacks, Muskox, Tule and a few Coues have come home with me since I bought it. I picked up a second one used of AT for a backup a couple years ago. Does everything I need a bow to do.

16-Feb-20
Been shooting a Prime Alloy for 5 years and seriously looking at a Black 3. Lot of posts on the Prime FB page of guys going both ways- either like their older prime better, or really liking the new series. I’ve only shot the new one a few times, but plan to shoot it more along side my Alloy.

16-Feb-20
Mine are a gold tip 200 spine 4 fletch aae max stealth 115 grain ethics outsert 200 grain head and a wrap. I have to stack my targets 3 deep.

16-Feb-20
Drr, I’m convinced people who don’t like them are shooting bows that the pro Shops are quickly setting up to fit their draw length and aren’t timed/tuned correctly.

16-Feb-20
It seems that guys shooting CT series really like them and are probably not shooting the black series long enough to make the minor adjustments to a new bow. Just my observation from reading their posts.

16-Feb-20
Not sure why someone needs to shoot 80#, I guess because they can. You will pay dearly when you are older.

16-Feb-20
We're (Lady Bowhunter) and I are ordering our Black 1 bows this week. My Ion and her Centergy Air will move to the back up status.

The biggest game changer for us was that the draw length can be adjusted without a bow press.

The smooth draw cycle and ease of tuning are exceptional as well.

16-Feb-20
Mike, it’s all about penetration and arrow drop. I can shoot a 555 grain arrow at 278. That setup tipped with a German kinetic went through the last rib of a big bodied bull 2 years ago and came out the front shoulder. A rib, 3 feet of insides, and a shoulder blade. Oh, and my single pin set at 30 yards will be no more than 3” high and 5” low out to 35 yards. No need to adjust on an elk. If you have a setup that’ll do that at 60lbs let me know!!!

There are guys that can shoot 80lbs easier than guys that shoot 60lbs. What’s your point?

16-Feb-20
In all honesty holding back that trad bow is probably harder on shoulders than our 80+ pound bows with 80% letoff.

16-Feb-20
I always love when somebody chimes in with the, I don’t see why anyone needs to do.....(enter said activity that they can’t do here)

17-Feb-20
I'm running a 330 spine Easton Hexx this year 29" with a 75 gr brass insert. 438 gr total arrow weight, at 277 fps (60# draw). Switched to this set-up to go a little lighter but greatly improved my FOC. Bow loves them so far.

17-Feb-20
Working on my new arrow setup as well. 300 spine GT Hunter XT Xtra, 100 gr brass, 150 gr. single bevel. Total weight 605, 62#, 29.5" arrow. No clue what the speed will be, haven't crono'd it yet.

01-Mar-20
Just wanted to follow up. Stretched this bad boy out yesterday. At 104 yards I was putting about 75% in a 10” pie plate. Pretty unbelievable for my second time shooting it and first time shooting it past 40 yards. The two things that keep amazing me are the draw cycle and stability at full draw. It’s something else!

01-Mar-20
That can’t be true everyone knows no one can be accurate at 82# and your shoulder rips out after 20 shots ;-)

01-Mar-20
Fubar, it barely held on. I was only able to shoot for 2 straight hours before I had to stop...because I got hungry for lunch! If anybody in Colorado is interested in a prime black 1 with 80Lb limbs I might have one for sale. I’m waiting on a buddy to make a decision on whether he wants it. I’ll make someone a really great deal face to face. I’ll know by the end of the week if he’s going to take it!

02-Mar-20
I just ordered a Prime Black 3, can't wait to start shooting it. Before buying I think I shot almost all the new flagship bows multiple times. Mathews, Hoyt, Bowtech, PSE, and Elite. I'm not a bow expert by any means, I had a tough time choosing between the Mathews, Bowtech, and Prime, they all felt good to me. In the end, the Prime fit my hand a bit better than the others, the draw was incredible, and absolutely felt dead in the hand to me. I'll let you know some more thoughts after some shooting time.

03-Mar-20

DRR324's embedded Photo
DRR324's embedded Photo
DRR324's embedded Photo
DRR324's embedded Photo
After shooting the Black 3 and 1, I settled on a 1. Both felt great on the draw cycle, on target feel was identical and really hard to choose. I went with the 1 as I think it will be just a tick easier to maneuver hunting from my saddle. My only issue- at my 30.5 draw, I can’t move my peep high enough to shoot my thumb release (which I just play around with- I hunt with a wrist style). I’ve got a call into a Prime tech to inquire about shortening the twin cables about a half inch, increasing string by an inch, which will give me the 1/4-3/8” I need to move my peep up. Loving the new rig for sure!

• Sitka Gear