Fuzzy 21-Feb-20
Katahdin 21-Feb-20
Russell 21-Feb-20
Katahdin 22-Feb-20
Stekewood 22-Feb-20
Katahdin 23-Feb-20
JB 23-Feb-20
17-Feb-20
I have a short plane connection to helicopter ride so I can't expect to shop for cartridges when I get to Newfoundland. Any advice is appreciated

17-Feb-20
Since you mention a helicopter ride, I assume you have an outfitter. Ship the cartridges in advance to the outfitter.

17-Feb-20
I thought about shipping can I do this regular post office and declare hazardous material or try to order it in Canada on phone/online?

17-Feb-20
I would suggest ordering on phone or on line from a Canadian vendor and have them ship it for you. Never tried to buy any in Newfoundland but have in other Provinces. You can get butane cartridges for ladies hot curling irons at most Walmarts for a lot cheeper than thermacell cartridges. They are identical.

17-Feb-20
I travel almost every year and bring them with me and I frequently connect in Toronto, where they are really strict. If they are loose, you will probably have them taken, but when in an unopened package, I have never had them removed.

17-Feb-20
You’re Outfitters should have extra for there clients, if not tell him to get some for you

17-Feb-20
Check with your outfitter. Last time I went up they had a pile of them for guys to use.

18-Feb-20
I don't remember Newfoundland being that bad with bugs? I was there in October and we had mild temps and some rain. I wouldn't worry about a thermacell too much.

18-Feb-20
Ive never been to Newfoundland, but have flown into Canada several times with thermacell cartridges in my checked baggage. I keep the cartridges in their original packaging and store the empty thermacell in my bowcase.

Check with your primary air carrier as well as the helicopter service for their policy.

18-Feb-20
"You can get butane cartridges for ladies hot curling irons at most Walmarts for a lot cheeper than thermacell cartridges. They are identical." Never knew that! Thanks

18-Feb-20
No need to check with your airline, they are definitely not allowed on commercial flights. That said, I have flown with them a few times into Canada as well. When I went to Newfoundland I really don’t recall seeing anywhere I thought we could buy them. I’m sure there are places, but it wasn’t like there was a Dicks Sporting Goods on every corner.

I suggest you talk to your outfitter as well, in many camps where thermacells are necessary generally there are piles of them. But of course when you need one you won’t be able to find them ;)

—Jim

18-Feb-20
Thanks for the help guy. FYI this is not fall hunting but July Atlantic Salmon and here in Maine it is prime mosquito time

18-Feb-20
A year or so ago I sat in on a Hazardous Goods seminar that are shipping dept. was taking. They had a couple of examples where items went off in the plane like lithium batteries and other banned items. Some people received jail time but ALL of them received heavy fines. One was over a $100,000 since it was a $10,000 fine each item. After that I was real careful what I brought on the plane.

19-Feb-20
4406v in October/November NF isn't bad for bugs, in June it's as bad as it gets.

21-Feb-20
JTreeman the Walmart in Corner Brook has Thermacell supplies

21-Feb-20
although there is a walmart in corner brook they won't take an order and ship to deer lake. hmmm

21-Feb-20

Russell's Link

22-Feb-20
Russell - thanks it clearly shows butane as not allowed

22-Feb-20

Stekewood's Link
The Radius doesn’t use butane cartridges and is an easy, inexpensive solution to the problem.

23-Feb-20
Stekewood: Thanks that's a perfect solution. Just ordered on ebay

23-Feb-20
Do they work for the little ankle biting black flies??

• Sitka Gear