SBH 19-Feb-20
JohnMC 19-Feb-20
fubar racin 19-Feb-20
JohnMC 19-Feb-20
fubar racin 19-Feb-20
tradi-doerr 19-Feb-20
drycreek 19-Feb-20
18-Feb-20
So listening to an old shootin the bull podcast and they were talking about hiking through Yellowstone to access wilderness area to hunt. Is or was that actually legal? If so can we use other parks to access hunting areas? Thinking specifically Rocky Mountain National park being I live closeish.

18-Feb-20
Legal in RMNP now, as of a couple years ago. Not sure about others.

19-Feb-20
Legal in YNP...with the caveat that you cannot carry a weapon! That includes a bow. Hmmmm?? Buddy drew the boundary tag a few years ago and called to see what the rules were. Was able to cut a few miles off by going through the park. He ended up going in through NF trailhead and leaving his bow on the legal side of the line then using the park to access after that. Left his bow up there each time he came out. Very hard tag to draw.

19-Feb-20
That's exactly what I would do, SBH. I would also have a backup bow in case I decided to hunt a different part of the unit that didn't require crossing the park.

Or a grizz found my bow and destroyed it. :-)

19-Feb-20
I’m just wandering since it’s now legal to carry a firearm for protection in a park, how would the law determine your intent?

19-Feb-20
A hunting license and the fact not many carry a bow as a self defense weapon. There’s only a handful of guys running around shooting pits with crossbows. ;) I wouldn’t want to challenge the feds.

19-Feb-20
There a spot in RMNP where they had a place set up for this. You signed in and walked across a meadow (usually with elk in it) to the NF.

Not sure what current regs are but worth a call. No need to be a headline.

19-Feb-20
You ain’t kidding Nick. There’s a reason I don’t apply for that tag.

19-Feb-20
You ain’t kidding Nick. There’s a reason I don’t apply for that tag.

19-Feb-20
Not sure I would call it legal access to hunt wildness/NF, if you can not carrying your hunting weapon across when accessing.

What if you kill something, can you pack your meat out through park? I would love to see that in RMNP. I can't think of anywhere you can get a vehicle that there is not a crowd. Fubar if you end up doing and kill an elk and pack into the park if you could give me a heads up, I would love to be waiting at trail head when you come out with a elk quartered on your back.

19-Feb-20
I can fit an elk inside my pack with nothing showing :-)

19-Feb-20
Not a big set of antlers! I doubt I would need to come to the trail head. I could sit home and watch it on 9 News and see girly boy Kyle Clark getting all worked up. But if you do it and sure it is legal I would come help that sounds like a exciting pack out.

19-Feb-20
I always forget That elk can have antlers lmao stupid rare for me to shoot one that has those

19-Feb-20
It is legal to open carry in RMNP, Here is their web site with the rules of use. https://www.nps.gov/romo/planyourvisit/rules_regulations.htm

It doesn't make sense to be able to open/conceal carry a firearm, but not be able to carry a bow/arrow, crossbow, etc. I believe your allowed to have your archery equipment in your vehicle while passing through the park, I could be wrong.

19-Feb-20
Last time I drove through RMNP I was packing my everyday pistol and had an AK47 in the cabinet in my truck bed. Was I a baaaaad boy ? Shame on me !

• Sitka Gear