SBH 22-Feb-20
plenty coups 23-Feb-20
shakey 23-Feb-20
Corn bore 23-Feb-20
Nick Muche 23-Feb-20
altitude sick 24-Feb-20
Brotsky 24-Feb-20
19-Feb-20
I’m in the market for a lightweight 0 to 15 degree type bag. Mummy style but a little roomier in the feet and shoulders... any thoughts ? Thanks... Was thinking KUIU but I figured there’s less expensive as good.. yes?

19-Feb-20
Marmot Helium

19-Feb-20
Western Mountaineering has a complete line very worthy of checking out.

19-Feb-20
Do you want down or synthetic. Down will be lighter and pack down smaller, but more of a problem if gets wet and more expensive. I bought a used 12 degree down last year on craigslist for about 1/3 of price new and was happy with it. Forgot the brand of top of head. Good down sleeping bag are not cheap.

19-Feb-20
Synthetic I was thinking

19-Feb-20

Brotsky's Link
Shug, based upon what you described that you want look at the synthetic bags from Nemo. Their spoon shape gives you more room in the shoulders and knee areas to facilitate side sleeping. I use one of their down bags and really like it. See my link for a synthetic bag from Nemo.

19-Feb-20
Keep an eye on camo fire they have some deals on bags

19-Feb-20
Kifaru Slick bag, wide.

19-Feb-20
Shug, the best choice would depend a lot on whether you're talking about using it for backpacking trips vs horseback trips or truck camping. You said light weight, so you probably mean to backpack. I like Western Mountaineering bags, but they're among the most expensive.

19-Feb-20
Marmot Helium, Picked it up cheap at REI clearance sale.

19-Feb-20
I got a marmot water prof down for a hunt in Alaska and it was good

19-Feb-20
Thanks guy

19-Feb-20
My Marmot Helium has been great for me for the last 5 years or so. Warm and light.

19-Feb-20
I used a Kuiu 15 degree mummy in NM all last season. Lowest it got down to was about 10 degrees ...bottles of Gatorade were frozen rock hard in the morning . Had a small tent, I had a pad under it and slept in socks, Marino wool bottoms, Marino wool top and a Sitka Kelvin lite Jacket and I didn’t have the bag zipped closed . That was about as low as I would want it to be with the 15 degree bag !! Anything above 15- 20* was comfortable. Quality bag.

19-Feb-20
Nick X 2

19-Feb-20
X3 slick bag

19-Feb-20
The temperature rating on the bag may not be the true comfort level. For example, I purchase a Big Agnus 17 degrees (this was printed on the outside of the bag), down tec (water resistant down) bag, thinking I would sleep comfortably at 17 degrees and above. Not so I found out. The 17 degrees temp limit, according to Big Agnes was the temperature where you would be starting to get very uncomfortable. I ended up spend $90 for an add on liner that gave the bag a true 10 degrees more comfort and I can also take it out for warmer temps and also wash it when needed. I asked Big Agnes why not print 27 Degree Bag instead of 17 degrees. I did not get a good answer.

The tag on the bag showed these numbers: So the real comfort was 28 degree and up not 17 degrees as was printed on the bag.

T Comfort =28 degrees T limit=17 degrees T Extreme= - 17 degrees

19-Feb-20
I also have a Marmot Helium, but the older one with the waterproof shell. One thing to consider when planning how warm a bag to buy, is the other insulation you have with you already. A puffy and pants worn in your bag will add several degrees to its rating and you're carrying them around anyway. Any time you can make something serve double duty you save weight, money and energy.

19-Feb-20
Idylwild had a saying, that the low end temp rating is the temperature at which you will still be alive in the morning...

19-Feb-20
Marmot Helium 15 degree. Super light and packs small.

20-Feb-20
I don't own one, but if I were to purchase a synthetic bag, it would be a Kifaru slick bag. Made in America and designed by real, hardcore back country hunters.

20-Feb-20
Wet weather or dry? Wet, forget down. Wet down will not loft and keep you warm. Synthetics will.

20-Feb-20
I was looking for the same thing years ago, at the advice of Nick and others I went with the slick bag, I have yet to be disappointed in my choice.

20-Feb-20
I recently picked up a bag from Outdoor Vitals which seems pretty good - and well priced.

20-Feb-20
Recent REI sale, 2 # down bag rated 15-20 degrees for about $140

21-Feb-20
Check out Taiga bags made in Canada. For Down they are hard to beat. I used one for a month in the NWT this year and was impressed.

21-Feb-20
For synthetic, I like the Slick Bag. For down, it’s hard to beat Western Mountaineering. The Stone Glacier bags have piqued my interest as well.

21-Feb-20
Check out Hyde and Byke. Their zero degree long bag is out of stock but their prices are good. $190ish for a Reg 0 degree down bag. Weight about 3.3#.

21-Feb-20
Check out Hyde and Byke. Their zero degree long bag is out of stock but their prices are good. $190ish for a Reg 0 degree down bag. Weight about 3.3#.

21-Feb-20

22-Feb-20
You need to know how you'll be using the bag. wet weather, backpack hunts? How important is weight? What's your budget? As noted, Western Mountaineering is a top brand. Feathered Friends is topnotch also. The zippers will last, and they won't catch o the fabric, leak down, have seams unravel, etc. Plus they last a long time with proper care. Unless you sleep very warm, figure on adding 10-15 degrees to the rated warmth to get the minimum temperature for a comfortable nights sleep. The lightest weight bags are going to be tight fitting.

22-Feb-20
A friend of mine has a Wiggys -60 Antarctic mummy style bag and swears by it. Anybody here have any experience with it?

22-Feb-20

22-Feb-20
"Idylwild had a saying, that the low end temp rating is the temperature at which you will still be alive in the morning..."

Very true for cheap bags, but for higher quality bags it is more of a comfort rating.

22-Feb-20
Ftr...most companies such as Western Mountaineering rate their bags temp wise with a "pair of long underwear and a head garment" or something very similarly worded. That adds 10°+ in my mind right there.

22-Feb-20
There are a few different ways they rate the temps in the sleeping bag world. Pretty good write up on Stone Glacier site explaining the differences. https://www.stoneglacier.com/pages/sleeping-bags

23-Feb-20
Western Mountaineering. Great Products.

23-Feb-20
Stone Glacier

23-Feb-20

Corn bore's embedded Photo
Corn bore's embedded Photo
Read up on EN rating. Bags are rated at their lower limit but also have comfort rating. My marmot helium keeps me comfortable to a little below freezing but would probably keep me alive down to it’s 15 degree rating if I wore all the clothing I brought with me. For temps from zero to fifteen degrees you will probably need at least a zero degree rated bag. Most brands will be EN rated but western mountaineering is one brand that doesn’t use the EN rating system. Lots of info on the web about this stuff.

23-Feb-20
Willie, using a 6lb bag when flying with strict weight limits eliminates a few pounds of potatoes and onions that I’ll add to my fresh tenderloins.

24-Feb-20
Backcountry website Has Nemo bags 25% off They have a roomy design if that is a higher than light weight

24-Feb-20
Damn you guys and spending my money. I now want a slick bag.

• Sitka Gear