Whitetail Deer
Contributors to this thread:
woodsman 20-Feb-20
kakiat kid 20-Feb-20
Zbone 20-Feb-20
Jebediah 20-Feb-20
Jebediah 20-Feb-20
20-Feb-20
I live in Western NY. On The way home from work yesterday I was near my house when I looked out into a field and caught a glimpse of antlers. Throwing on my breaks I pulled over to the side of the road. Decent size buck probably pope and young minimum was walking towards two other deer. A smaller buck was chasing a small doe around the field. The bigger one lowered his head with ears back and ran the other one off then proceeded to push the doe into the corner of the field and into some brush. If this was November I wouldn't have thought twice about it but to watch this on 2/19 is really amazing.

20-Feb-20
Funny you should say...last week 2/14 to be exact (love was in the air I guess) in the lower Hudson Valley of NY I witnessed a nice size 8 pt breeding a doe in my back behind my house (I live on a golf course). She wasn't a giant so I am assuming a younger doe. There were two smaller bucks backs on the scene as well.

20-Feb-20
Seen a nice mature buck fully crowned tending a hot doe on April 21st one year in NE Ohio, had to pinch myself, would have thought I was sleeping or in November...

20-Feb-20
Read something once where studying road-kill does they were able to show that while breeding peaked in November, it continued (probably at a low level) into March. Of course I imagine that would vary based on geography.

20-Feb-20
Also I think I read that down south, like Alabama, the rut isn’t as concentrated, time-wise, as it is up north.

• Sitka Gear