Owl 21-Feb-20
Owl 21-Feb-20
Fuzzy 21-Feb-20
Highlife 21-Feb-20
Fuzzy 21-Feb-20
Matt 21-Feb-20
Fuzzy 21-Feb-20
20-Feb-20
Anyone found a way to make cooked brown rice into a portable high quality snack (bars perhaps) that will keep? In hunting season I have trouble finding snacks with high quality carbs that are not loaded with sugar.

20-Feb-20
tried my "fuzzy meal bars"?

20-Feb-20
I'll play with brown rice a bit and see what I can come up with. May be tough to start with cooked rice and get the Aw down enough to prevent mold and B. cereus or C. perfringens growth ...maybe a commercial brown rice powder ....

20-Feb-20
https://www.swansonvitamins.com/bobs-red-mill-organic-creamy-brown-rice-farina-26-oz-pkg?DFA=1&UTM_Medium=Shopping&UTM_Source=GOOGLE&UTM_Campaign=+&UTM_Content=&SourceCode=INTL4071&msclkid=9069a8fed9101bcd38d5f6b003495231&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=SWAN_National_Gen_Shopping_Null_Null_All%20Products&utm_term=4583245500916675&utm_content=Food%20and%20Beverage&ds_rl=1262629

20-Feb-20
I'm gonna give it a shot substituting the Brown Rice Farina for steel cut oats in the FMB recipie.

20-Feb-20
Here's the meal bar recipie:

Fuzzy Meal Bars:

1 cup each of:

Honey (or molasses, maple syrup, agave syrup, your choice)

Non fat buttermilk powder

Flax Seed meal

Uncooked steel cut oats (not oatmeal or rolled oats and NOT quick-cook)

Shredded unsweetened coconut

Finely Chopped nuts (pecans, walnuts , cashews, pine nuts, pepitas, sunflower seeds) Chopped dried fruit (dates, figs, prunes, raisins, currants, cranberries)

Heat the honey or syrup in a pot to about 120 degrees (til it’s hot to the touch and very thin) Remove from heat

With a wooden spoon Stir in the powdered milk, then the flax seed meal, then fold in the oats , then the shredded coconut

(It starts getting pretty thick about here, so it’s a bit of work), fold in the nuts, then the dried fruit.

(The order you add things is important, because each ingredient thickens the mix, and you want the first three ingredients well mixed. The fruit and nuts should be distributed evenly but it’s not as critical.)

Working quickly, lightly oil a 9” pyrex dish with olive oil, dump the warm mass in the dish, and press it out as flat as possible with a wooden spoon.

Chill in the refrigerator a couple hours, then cut into 12 equal squares.

I wrap mine in aluminum foil that I’ve oiled slightly with olive oil. They travel well in a pocket, backpack or lunchbox. They’ll soften a bit in heat but they don’t get runny or sticky.

The glycemic index is low, protein to carb ratio is high, each bar is about 315 calories. Calories from carb and from protein are about 50/50

20-Feb-20
I've made Fuzzy Bars several times. Thumbs up!

20-Feb-20
You can buy organic puffed brown rice and play with that in a recipe. I have used it to make an imitation KIND bar that was pretty good. Do a search on YouTube and there should be several videos.

20-Feb-20
I've used the puffed rice in homemade protein bars before and they were good, also.

20-Feb-20
You may want to hire someone in the branding space because no one wants a snack food with "Fuzzy" in its name.

20-Feb-20
Fuzzy where are you finding your ingredients? I've been to every 7-11 by me and can't find it. Is it by the beer?

21-Feb-20
"You may want to hire someone in the branding space because no one wants a snack food with "Fuzzy" in its name."

-His first choice was "Limp Bizkit." Burned by the resulting infringement litigation, he went with a name no one would contest.

21-Feb-20
Dave, not everything can be "by the beer." Besides, everybody knows if you want Flax Seed Meal, you have to go to the WaWa.

21-Feb-20
Well fellas, along the same vein, I need some branding advice:

I bought a hotdog cart to run as a post-retirement business (it's sitting in a storage shed til then). One of my contractors calls me "big sexy". My boss decided I should name my business "Big Sexy's Wiener-Wagon"

What say ye all?

Dave, you have access to all the ingredients. Just got to the compost heap behind the Miller brewery and scoop up some spent malt. Add a few raisins and beer nuts and stir in some Hershey's syrup.

Voila!

21-Feb-20
Gosh your the best I just knew you'd come through for me Big Sexy.

21-Feb-20
Dave ;)

21-Feb-20
What say we?

First, I would say you contractor and boss have a highly refined sense of sarcasm.

Second, you will for sure need to add a foot long+ "home wrecker" dog to the menu. Saw that at a vendor in Reno at the sheep show and thought it was clever.

21-Feb-20
lol...Matt Crissy and I had actually discussed that. Were were gonna call it the "big sexy dog"

• Sitka Gear