Bou'bound 08-May-21
standswittaknife 08-May-21
txhunter58 09-May-21
Quick Draw 1 09-May-21
SteveB 13-May-21
Powder 16-May-21
Bou'bound 20-Jun-22
21-Feb-20
Any first hand experience by Bowsiters on a particular model to look at. How about Iridium 9575 Extreme?

21-Feb-20
i'd stay with ONLY Iridium phones. We have the 9575 and has worked great.

21-Feb-20
Yep...9575 Iridium Extreme the way to go Grant.

21-Feb-20
I do not own one but have rented the 9575 several times. I probably should have bought one by now. It has been a quality unit in my estimation.

21-Feb-20
I don’t own, but have borrowed several times. I’m pretty sure 9575 is what I’ve had each time. No complaints from me.

For my needs InReach does everything I need. I certainly understand all our needs are different, but I would consider what your needs REALLY are and go from there. As a whole InReach is much cheaper. Just a thought.

—Jim

21-Feb-20
Any particular reason you need a SAT Phone instead of an InReach?

21-Feb-20
Don’t need one just was looking at them. Thought they were more expensive than they are. Time isn’t cheap though

21-Feb-20
Minutes are outrageous. If you buy one, just make sure it's Iridium and you can't go wrong.

21-Feb-20
Use road post for the Time.. plans are cheaper and can cancel month to month

22-Feb-20
InReach got me good satellite access, let my significant other know I was safe on a daily basis, didn't cost a ton, and is SUPER light. Definitely get a lot of help from the sales clerk setting it up - don't but it if the clerk isn't willing to spend a half hour walking you through registration, default messages, etc.

22-Feb-20
Hard to do business on a inreach

22-Feb-20
Best one to buy is mine! I have the iridium 9575 extreme and I’ll make a great deal on it.

I just can’t justify the minutes package anymore now that I have both it and an inreach going simultaneously

22-Feb-20
I have no experience with any other than my Iridium 9555 and no complaints. Well, the plan costs are practically punitive but, if it is the difference in going with peace of mind either at home, on the hunt or at work, it's worth it.

For single trips, renting is the way to go but if you have occasional needs throughout the year, you're looking at a purchase.

Unless all you need is emergency contact, Inreach is insufficient if you spend a lot of time off the cell grid. JMHO.

22-Feb-20
Does the iridium phone require a sim card and air time plan or pre paid or are they one in the same.

22-Feb-20
Effectively, one in the same. When you use prepaid, you will receive a SIM card. That SIM card can be "reloaded" up to a certain point beyond expiration (maybe 9months?). Not fully sure of the annual plan SIM cards. They may be 1 and done.

31-Mar-20

08-May-21

08-May-21
Yes.. we use roadpost for our minutes for the 9575 every year.. no contracts and can go month to month.. $35 kickoff fee each year but we cut it after hunting season.. lite it up in late august and shut it down in November..

09-May-21
If your doing business on a Sat phone, you have your priorities screwed up. Unless you are an outfitter :-)

09-May-21
The Extreme is a great phone. After renting sat phones for years, me and a buddy bought one together a few years back. We only need it once or twice a year each, so no overlap. Instead of a plan you don't need, we just rent a sim card for a couple weeks. Yes, it's expensive to use... but it's great to have when you absolutely need to be able to call.

13-May-21
I have rented Iridium many times and then started buying them used (with minutes) on eBay. Them would re-sell after returning from a trip. Saved lots of $$ and even made money a couple times.

16-May-21
I hope this isn't hijacking the thread but what about the Iridium Go? If I'm not mistaken it connects via wifi to your smartphone allowing you to use your phone to make calls rather than needing a separate phone. Is this really what it does? Has anyone used one? They are fair bit cheaper to buy than a sat phone. I think the data plans are the same price.

20-Jun-22

• Sitka Gear