Timex 22-Feb-20
Boone 22-Feb-20
Ucsdryder 22-Feb-20
Zebrakiller 22-Feb-20
Zebrakiller 22-Feb-20
krieger 22-Feb-20
TD 22-Feb-20
22-Feb-20
Hey guys. Starting to look for a new broadhead for this fall. I'm currently shooting thunder heads. But see a lot of good things on single bevel broadheads. Just a quick search makes it look like there are a left or right and your suppose to match your helical on your vane?? Any help or suggestions on a good single bevel broadhead would be great. Shooting a Mathews Swithcback bow if that means anything.

22-Feb-20
Rms cutthroat

22-Feb-20
Ya need to be a bit more specific especially the weight your looking to shoot. If your looking for a lighter head with a wide cut check out the abowyer bonehead lite 120 grain. Iv killed a lot of deer with them super tough & about middle of the road price wise. Zwicky no mercy are probably the least expensive & can't go wrong with them but do not come hunt sharp you'll need sharpening skills their 130 grain. Both the above mentioned are glue on & between glue in glue on adapters ,aluminum, brass & steel adapters plus brass inserts almost any reasonable weight can be had

22-Feb-20
Timex wow sounds like I might be over my head in this adventure. Guess I never had to deal with glue this or glue that broadhead

22-Feb-20
Boone, I think you’re looking to buy some screw in single bevels. No different than double bevel. It’s simple. You can make it as complex as you want.

22-Feb-20

Zebrakiller's embedded Photo
i shot a cape buffalo and a Roan with Strickland helix was very happy with results 225 grain

22-Feb-20

i shot a cape buffalo and a Roan with Strickland helix was very happy with results 225 grain

22-Feb-20
Van Dieman heads are screw in, right bevel only, they are almost the perfect shape, IMO...and they fly like a dream. They are reasonable, from OZ.

I just got some Abowyers and will be getting more to test, I like the fact that they make some lighter heads like Timex mentioned. I will be setting one of my compounds up to shoot SB heads, I still want to get decent speed, I don't want to be lobbing a 650gr arrow at critters that don't need it. Hogs at shorter distances, that's another story. I have some 225gr Tuffheads with stainless direct bond system for that.

Cutthroat are dang hard to beat as well, hard to go wrong with them.

22-Feb-20
Was a time when talking single bevel you were talking trad. That's why the talk of glue on adapters and such. Now there are several out there that will fly well from a compound at compound speeds and not just ok from a stick bow.

99% of the time you will want standard RH bevel when using a screw on and standard RH helical fletch. The head will twist on impact and leave a spiral wound channel to a degree. left hand tends to unscrew your head.

Course if you glue on to a tapered wooden shaft that's not much issue....... =D

I've tried and liked the Helix heads, they flew well and I killed a few things with them. My only real issue was they were a PITA to sharpen with so many angles and edges, I'm more ADD than OCD...... But they were hell on bone and that is by far the major reason a person would use them, the reason I used them. Single bevels have other negatives though, such as less edge retention ( the edge only having "support" from rolling on one side...thanks to Woody for the discussions. miss ya buddy) the spiral cut while technically cutting more tissue also effects penetration. And some designs just don't fly well at higher speeds and distance.

All broadhead design is a compromise of sorts. For most performance gains, there is a corresponding loss somewhere else.

• Sitka Gear