Powder 23-Feb-20
splitlimb13 23-Feb-20
Nick Muche 23-Feb-20
Kevin Dill 24-Feb-20
Powder 24-Feb-20
PECO 25-Feb-20
Rut Nut 25-Feb-20
22-Feb-20
I'm looking at getting two new GPS units. The main reason is that I want ones that have the 2-way texting and walkie-talkie features. If I'm not mistaken that pretty much means Garmin. The area we hunt does not have cell reception so regular texting is not an option.

If I didn't care about the texting from unit to unit, would I be better off with a pair of handheld radios?

22-Feb-20
That could be an option. I already have one of those. I was looking for something a little different that didn't require another subscription.

22-Feb-20
Radios are terrain dependent. Mostly line of sight communication. You will be disappointed with radios in mountainous areas

22-Feb-20
InReach is the only way to go and worth the subscription. I turn my plan on and off as needed.

22-Feb-20
No hijacking meant buddy but doesn’t Garmin have a mini inreach and has anyone tried it thanks all Lewis

22-Feb-20
I got a mini inreach and it works great for backpacking and elk hunting. It has a mapping app and Bluetooth and you can use phone for mapping/gps. No complaints.

23-Feb-20
I have an inreach and love it. I can communicate with anyone . Don't wanna hi-jack the thread but I'm looking into the rhino 750. Does anyone know if this is the model that has topo maps, two radio, text , and the ability to see where your partner is? I want whichever model that is.

23-Feb-20
I hadn't seen the mini before. I didn't think the original version was that big to start with. I'm not sure why a mini was all that necessary.

My biggest complaint about the Inreach is that texting on it is painfully old-school and slow.

23-Feb-20
"I hadn't seen the mini before. I didn't think the original version was that big to start with. I'm not sure why a mini was all that necessary. My biggest complaint about the Inreach is that texting on it is painfully old-school and slow." Download earth mate and text from your phone.

23-Feb-20
I have an older model of the Inreach so I hope it is compatible with that app. Thanks for letting me know about it.

23-Feb-20
Will this app allow me to use my smart phone to text through the Inreach or is it just for mapping?

23-Feb-20
It's a good app and you text through your phone. You betcha! It'll work. DL the earthmate app n blue tooth em together.

23-Feb-20
The only thing guaranteed to work is inreach to inreach. Download OXMaps and save the area to your phone and you’ll have GPS location. Inreach certainly gives location as well.

24-Feb-20
To the OP:

I might be the only person with a login here who believes this, so maybe take that under advisement....

For a stationary camp moose hunt....many of them in many different areas....I've never had a want or need for a GPS unit, maps or anything. That's because I simply cannot pack (on my back) the proceeds from an Alaska bull more than a true mile, maximum. And because I don't venture long distances from camp I don't need a GPS to get me back, and I wouldn't benefit from maps on one. The bottom line here for me is that I show up and scout-hunt the area, learning from my eyes and legs. The country I hunt is not difficult to stay oriented within, hence I never bring a GPS. In fact, I don't even own a unit these days.

Texting during the actual hunt is a full-on distraction and one I associate with my everyday life at home. I flat-out don't want any of that around me when I'm on a wilderness hunt. By that I mean, save it for camp and keep it short. Texting between hunting partners in the field isn't happening with me.

Radios: My hunting partner and I carry the small Midland FRS radios. The only reason we carry them is for safety. We have a check-in plan and follow it when split up. Because our max distance never exceeds 2 miles apart, we've never had any problem communicating, We don't use them to coordinate plans, advise of spotted animals, etc. We turn them on at the prescribed time and say what needs said...then off and stowed. With lithium batteries installed they are small and lightweight.

24-Feb-20
I agree with many of you. I originally purchased the Inreach because my wife has a fit when I go places that don't have cell coverage. I have pointed out to her that she rarely has her phone close to her and can't be relied to answer if I called anyway. As you may have guessed, she doesn't think it's funny when I point that out!

Regardless, there are legitimate reasons to have them. I'm like Kevin in that I don't use them to coordinate a hunt. It's simply to make sure the bare minimum communication is done. The radios are a possibility as well but we we hunt on water and sometimes we do get far enough away from each other (2 of us) that the radios don't always work. My thought was to get a second Inreach so we could text when necessary.

I commend Tdvorak on only allowing them at certain times. I know if I was sharing a camp with someone it would really annoy me if they were on there all the time.

25-Feb-20
There is another thread going on about these inreach units. I've been researching them, my wife would like it if I had one. The problem I see, is that the reviews are concerning in a negative way. I'm early in my vetting process, I'm not sure it's acceptable to me to rely on a product with a less than 4 star rating to save my life. But at the same time, it's better than nothing.

25-Feb-20
I've looked at the reviews and seems like all the NON-5 star reviews had to do with the subscription plans or the functionality of texting on the unit, NOT the actual operation of the unit itself. As has been said, the texting is much easier when using the Earthmate App paired with your phone. And a little thought and research BEFORE selecting a subscription plan can eliminate those problems as well.

• Sitka Gear