4nolz@work 12-Mar-20
Shawn 13-Mar-20
Firsty 15-Mar-20
23-Feb-20

Scrappy's embedded Photo
Scrappy's embedded Photo
The last sentence explains it all.

23-Feb-20
Stupid, especially on the heels of EHD hitting the southern portion of it.

23-Feb-20
Anytime politics and game management convene, game management always loses.

23-Feb-20
almost as stupid as when they came up with the "celebrity tags" I believe the excuse for that was the added publicity the state would get from the shows.That may have changed through the years, not sure, as i hear the PRO? hunters now say how they finally got drawn for their tag

23-Feb-20
I've been in Ia for over 20 years & in the last 5 I have seen nothing but a decline in quality & numbers in my area (Public & Private properties I bowhunt). The private I've been privvy to bowhunt was "not" under any kind of management (no plots & gunners did brown & down). I have never been a head gear hunter (only bowhunt) but set a personal goal a few years back as I've been blessed with over 60 years of tagging archery Whitetails. So, I passed bucks that was fair game for the gun hunters. Anyway, I see this as a poor decision for sure & the EHD problems will definitely reflect a big negative.

23-Feb-20
I hope Iowa holds the line on nr tags. Illinois gives out over 12000. Dollars over deer management

23-Feb-20
I saw deer number went down each year, one of my property which i have hunted I saw at least 30- 100 deers on the field last couple years. This year I saw less than 10 deer. On other property I till saw about 20-30 deers. It will need couple years or longer to recover if Iowa decreases more shotguns tags. I don’t care if they increase NR tags. Quality of hunt will not very good for next couple years.

23-Feb-20
$$$. I'm a large advocate of residents getting the share of tags. This is theft of the herd...

23-Feb-20
Terrible news. Even nonresidents sitting on a bunch of points understand this.

23-Feb-20
I have been blessed with hunting Iowa twice now. Waited four years each time. Don't know if I have four years in me yet but I am willing to leave it as is so that the herd does not suffer unduly..

23-Feb-20
I’m not against an increase of some sort. Deer numbers are not down because of Non Residents. I also wish Iowa would allow bow hunting during all seasons. I don’t gun hunt. Not interested in gun hunting anymore. I wish I could shoot a buck with my bow during gun season and count as killed during that season. It’s ridiculous the way it is now.

23-Feb-20
Steven, Iowa bow season is long from October 2 to January 10 subtract shotgun 1 five days and shotgun 2 10 days. You have a good chance to kill big buck during rut November. Shotgun is less than 2 weeks. Iowa need to stop shotgun party hunt because every shotgun hunter shot any deer they saw even they didn’t have buck tag. After the hunt they use other guys tags on party to fill it.

23-Feb-20
It's always about the money.

23-Feb-20
I wish we only had 7500 NR. Dont feel bad, we have otc tags. Sad thing is, in a few years it will be 10,000 tags. It will only get worse imo. Why does no like tradition anymore. Things dont need to change if it ain't broke! Deer traditions in WI have been ruined by our lawmakers.

23-Feb-20
Demand based quotas will cause a decline in quality. Just as KS residents

23-Feb-20
Don, I’m well aware of the seasons and so on. I’m just saying if I buy a gun tag that I be allowed to use a bow instead of a gun. More challenging.

23-Feb-20
Wish people felt this way about CO non residents

24-Feb-20
Quality will suffer. When a guy is paying $644 to shoot a deer a deer is going home with them. That’s a 1000 more young bucks headed out of state. Take a look at IL...

24-Feb-20
Lee. As an Illinois resident, you nailed it.

24-Feb-20
Honestly I leave it totally up to Iowa whatever they decide to do. I'm a NR who only gets to bow hunt deer in Iowa once every 4-5 years, and that's fine with me. I'm good with leaving the quotas as-is. But it's worth pointing a couple things out. By regulation, no more than 35% of the total NR license quota can be archery licenses. Currently, with a total NR quota of 6000, that means a maximum of 2100 NR bow tags statewide. The latest published data I could find (2017) shows about 57000 residents bought general archery deer tags. Therefore, if my math is correct, about 3.5% of archery deer hunters are NR's. That equates to about 1 NR hunter per every 26 square miles of Iowa. I'd guess that many of these hunt for just one week. IMO, that makes it kinda hard to say that NR archery hunters are a big source of a crowding problem.

24-Feb-20

24-Feb-20
I am a NR who loves heading to IA whenever possible. But I wish politicians would leave the management to the Wildlife professionals. They have great hunting for a reason.

24-Feb-20
I totally disagree with Lee, at least in my case. I will be heading to Iowa this year and I have a goal for a buck and I won't shoot something smaller just cause I spend a couple grand to hunt there. I will shoot a buck around 140"s or just a doe for meat. I would agree Iowa should leave well enough alone. Drawing a tag every 3 or 4 years is fine with me. Ecsp. with EHD and such hitting areas hard. The only thing I find is a lot of guys drawing these tags in Iowa and Kansas need to learn to judge deer on the hoof. My last trip to Kansas had several guys staying where I was come in with deer saying they finally killed a good 130-140"bucks. I laughed and taped each and everyone over 4 or 5 days. Only one buck was over 130"s. Most were around 115 to 120"s. Listen folks, it takes a real good 8pt to make 130"s. I mean real good! Shawn

24-Feb-20
From Sticksender above - "That equates to about 1 NR hunter per every 26 square miles of Iowa. I'd guess that many of these hunt for just one week. IMO, that makes it kinda hard to say that NR archery hunters are a big source of a crowding problem."

As an Iowa resident and landowner in a "good" neighborhood and in response to the statement above, here are my thoughts...

The problem, or potential problem, with allowing more NR's to draw archery tags in Iowa OR for NRLO's to be guaranteed a buck tag(s) every year is NOT that they would shoot too many deer in relation to all other residents, etc. The problem is that more NR's would buy land and restrict access to others so as to have their own slice of heaven to hunt big Iowa bucks during the rut, archery season. This is not just theory, as there are already many good neighborhoods with a large percentage of the "good stuff" owned and controlled by NR's...and this is during a time where it is likely a 3-5 year wait to get a buck tag. Guarantee buck tags to NRLO's and the crunch will get way bigger fast.

Many Iowans prefer that their state not be morphed into a place where wealthy NR's own a huge percentage of the good deer hunting land. Ironically, it is almost universally true that the NR's buy ground in Iowa because the hunting in their own state is poor and/or too crowded...often due to the regs in their home states...but some want to then buy in Iowa and change the regs there to suit them.

There is an easy solution if you are a NRLO in Iowa and want to hunt for a buck every year...move here and be an Iowan.

24-Feb-20
Not good not good

24-Feb-20
I also have to disagree with Lee. I am a NR that has hunted Ia I believe 8-9 times and have filled 5 buck tags(all P&Y). The doe tags that they MAKE YOU buy whether you want to or not I've filled every year but one. If you're worried about quality look at the 57k residents and how many bucks each can shoot a year. It's their state, I'll let them worry about it.

24-Feb-20
More archery tags ain’t a problem. Now the enormous sales of gun tags 80 year old granny’s so they can party hunt kills more deer than hemorrhagic disease.

24-Feb-20
" I will shoot a buck around 140"s or just a doe for meat."

Hunt how you want but targeting 3 1/2 yo is as bad as shooting younger bucks.

24-Feb-20
Maybe I shouldn’t have generalized as much as I did but Shawn made my point for me - how many deer he say he taped that didn’t break 130? I live in IL and see the NR’s descend on our public ground and I see them drag out a pile of 2 year olds and an occasional good one every year. Can’t blame the guys, lots of $$ on a tag and that 2.5 year old is likely bigger than what they have at home. But eventually that adds up - throw in EHD a time or two....

We used to have a cap the same as IA. Now it’s a 26,000 NR cap that is never hit. No reason to even apply for a tag anymore - just hit Wal-Mart on the way into town and grab a tag - there will be plenty...

Biggest thing I saw when the cap changed was there was no longer any mystique associated with the tag. A guy waits 4-5 years to draw he’s probably a pretty serious hunter - maybe ends up paying a trespass fee or going with an outfitter to maximize that 4-5 year wait - and he is likely picky. Bump the cap where there really is no limit anymore and you start getting a lot of guys that aren’t quite as serious because it is now easy and the public ground is now getting pounded. I saw it firsthand. Bumping the cap to pimp out the herd is a slippery slope. Reason guys want to hunt IA is due to its cap...

I have no skin in IA’s game but I experienced it firsthand in IL - I think it would be hard to argue that IL quality now is as good as it was prior to the change. Point being is be careful what you wish for. From what I’ve seen IA has it pretty damn good as is.

Lee

24-Feb-20
I own land in Iowa and the problem I see is 1. I don’t get a guaranteed tag. That’s fine but I feel as a non resident landowner I should get at least a loyalty point or be able to draw from a separate pool of tags. 2. Non resident youth can not hunt during the youth season. Completely unfair as my son is 6 and I can’t take him out when the weather is decent. He has to draw a tag like any adult. 3. Residents get 2 buck tags and resident landowners get 3. They give 7500 resident early Muzzleloading tags out. How can non residents be the problem? 4. No fall turkey hunting for non residents and have to draw spring turkey and only choose a 5 day season. 5. I can get a landowner for tag but can’t bow hunt for that doe.

24-Feb-20
Hotels, restaurants , stores and outfitters all benefit from NR hunters. What the success rate overall for tagging a deer let alone a buck? If someone wants to spend thousands of dollars to shoot an average buck then more power to them. Yes it's a trophy state but those trophies are not hiding behind every tree. Most of the guys complaining about the numbers of NR tags being given out are the same guys who bitch when talk of limiting CO NR tags, why? Lol Illinois has plenty of NR tags and trophies still abound, Iowa trophies are safe, just may be a few more hunters in the woods.

24-Feb-20
LEO17, no offense but your the guy everybody is talking about in the above posts. Just imagine how many newborn babies would be hunting iowa during the rut if they could get a youth tag without the draw.

As stated above, want to hunt iowa every year move here like I did.

24-Feb-20
I own land there and have to agree that it is frustrating to see how many bucks resident landowners can harvest vs how infrequent I can even hunt. I am satisfied with the way it currently is or I wouldn’t have purchased the 227 acre farm. Although It does seem as though from a harvest standpoint things are a little lopsided.

24-Feb-20
Scrappy, party hunting is legal in Iowa. I could legally as a nonresident kill as many bucks as I want with a gun. All I need is my valid doe tag and someone who is willing to tag the bucks for me. This is all perfectly legal but god forbid I get a bow tag

24-Feb-20
Leo17 the system has been working fine for a lot of years. Every year non res try to change what has made Iowa a destination big buck state. I know I shouldn't compare this to the current political system but I just can't help myself. A certain political group destroys their current state then moves to a state that is prospering under another political group and immediately start trying to change into the he!! hole they just left.

24-Feb-20
The landowner freebie tag is abused severely. I agree that they should get one but it should be in place of the state one they could purchase like regular residents

24-Feb-20
Over 100k deer are killed every year in Iowa. 97% by residents. If you truly cared about the herd you would advocate to make Iowa a one buck state.

I get it we won’t agree on this topic. I will do what I can to get my agenda pushed as I’m sure you will do what you can to keep things the way they are. No hard feelings. I just feel that all States should treat Iowa residents that apply in said state draws the same way Iowa treats its non residents. For example all Iowans who go to Colorado for elk should be put in a separate draw and have to wait 5 years to hunt elk.lol

24-Feb-20
I live in Iowa and have a farm up in the Northeast part of the state. If they do decide to increase NR tags, the only thing I would like to see them change is that party hunting/deer drives are not to be allowed on public hunting areas. I have talked to some NR hunters that hunted public ground and said it was a constant parade of pushers coming through the public area they were stand hunting in. Can't imagine it would be a lot of fun sitting in the timber in the middle of someone's deer drive that they have no idea that you are there. Probably not the safest scenario.

24-Feb-20
Genesis I won't argue but I am from the Northeast, where I live and hunt it takes most I mean 90% of the bucks to make it to 5.5 to even have a shot at 140"s. It is heavily hunted and are rut in pretty much all of NY falls during the opening week or 10 days of gun season. I also would say not all Iowa or Kansas bucks will be 140"s at 3.5 actually my bet is less than 40% but not sure on that. I do know the last Kansas buck I killed grossed just over 140"s and he was 4.5 as I had him aged. So for me a 140" buck is a great deer and I won't shot the first 140"er I see as I will be in Iowa for 20 days at least so I hope to kill something bigger. I also don't think as has been said the bowhunters both NR and Residents have a success rate combined over 25% or so on bucks. Again maybe but I doubt it ecsp. for NR's. Shawn

24-Feb-20
Oh and one more thing, just go to you tube and look on the internet. Resident Iowa hunters kill a ton of 2.5 and 3.5 year old bucks. Hell even guys who have You Tube channels and have some what of a following kill 110-130" bucks a lot. Again, you want the trophy potential to always be there limit residents to 1 buck tag and resident landowners to 2 buck tags, that would have a true impact, way more than limiting NR bowhunter and there is "NO" arguing that "FACT"!! Have Fun !! Shawn

24-Feb-20
" So for me a 140" buck is a great deer and I won't shot the first 140"er I see as I will be in Iowa for 20 days at least so I hope to kill something bigger."

Okay,but it doesn't really matter how big bucks get in New York when your hunting Iowa.I mean,I could dunk on my neighbors 9 1/2 foot goal....so that doesn't mean a whole lot.

My point is a 3 1/2 yo buck is the EXACT buck that needs a pass and soooo many NR won't let them walk,because of a myriad of excuses.Once again,enjoy your tag but don't think you are the solution when you are actually the problem if big bucks for all is the objective.You don't owe me or anyone an explaination but understand the irony in your posts

24-Feb-20
Scrappy, The whole move here thing always made me laugh. It’s no secret that the best Iowa hunting is in the southern counties. What about all of the residents of the northern counties with poor hunting who venture south? Why not make it so you can only hunt in the zone/county you live in. It’s not fair for all these hunters to come down and kill “your” deer.

24-Feb-20
It's really simple, the system that has made Iowa deer hunting great isn't broke and doesn't need to be fixed. If we can't agree on that then we will just have to agree to disagree.

24-Feb-20
Steve read my post, if I am the problem I am a drop in the bucket! Actually all of the NR bowhunters are a drop in the bucket. Get 1/2 the risidents to stop shooting what they do and the trophy potential would be through the roof. Again go to You Tube and search Iowa gun season ans watch the spikes, four points and all the 80 to 100" bucks shot on deer drives and such. Than go cry to those folks not someone who is gonna kill a 140 or better maybe every three years if they are lucky enough to draw!! Sorry but your way of thinking is a joke!! Shawn

24-Feb-20
I think Iowa can handle another 525 nonresident bowhunters. I just hope they never let the crossbow into the archery season.

24-Feb-20
Iowa is a cool place to hunt. I've got a good friend from Alabama that owns several thousand acres in southern and southeastern Iowa and its always been fun to go up ad see him. He has really big deer. He occasionally will shoot one if it meets his criteria but he does not really hunt much anymore. Just lets his son and a few close friends hunt if they want to

25-Feb-20
I’m a NRLO in Iowa and hope they do not change the current system, every NRLO knew the laws before purchasing a property and shouldn’t expect them to change just for them. I don’t see any good that will come of this, more hunting pressure, higher land-lease prices and just one foot in the door to get more things changed down the line. Hope the residents of Iowa fight the hell outta this.

25-Feb-20
I think it's funny the guys who complain how shitty it is in their state or other states they hunt/fish with too many NR apparently think the solution is to make Iowa shitty, too.

25-Feb-20
midwest, hunting is crappy in some states, but not because of NR hunters. Who would be a NR hunter in a crappy state. MN is an example, it doesn't even come close to it's potential and it is not because of NR hunters. I can't believe we get any NR at all here with the hunting we have. Resident hunters and an unimaginative DNR make hunting bad in most states.

25-Feb-20
Should be some interdepartmental formula based on the deer population and resident hunter numbers that gets calculated EACH YEAR and ‘Viola’ , unit NR fluctuating quota .

If deer numbers are rising and resident hunters numbers are falling, the NR permits will increase.

25-Feb-20
What part of IF IT AIN'T BROKE DON'T FIX IT are people not understanding.

25-Feb-20
if iowa residents really cared about the deer hunting they would only kill one buck per year and stop party hunting. so lets start an iowa resident challenge to eat your second buck tag in the name of keeping iowa deer hunting great.

25-Feb-20
Main issue is the ridiculous party hunting allowed in shotgun season- I live in Iowa and have my whole life with the exception of a 3 year stint in Montana. I am a huge proponent of only being able to shoot the sex of deer that you have tags for.

Other issue is the uber rich purchasing up all the property they can find in Iowa, living in Louisiana/CA/TX/FL etc and paying taxes there, then locking up all of the available properties in Iowa. Drives up the cost of leasing property as well as buying land (which is completely unaffordable for most people. I make what I consider good money, but 400-500k+ for a hundred acres is f*ck%ng absurd).

I don't gun hunt, just don't get enjoyment out of it. I don't disparage those who do, but the party hunting thing is a bad joke.

I fully get the CO non-res elk hunter whining, however you have to consider the amount of public land in Colorado, vs the amount of public land in Iowa- it's a laughable difference in the amount of huntable acres. It just requires the residents of the mountain states to get away from the road a little bit, it doesn't allow them to shoot one from the truck or a football field away from the road....requires a bit more work.

25-Feb-20
Yeah, 49,000 reported bucks killed in 2019 including 7660 button bucks and 856 shed bucks and the 6,000 non resident hunters (which pay for a substantial portion of the F&W budget) are the problem.

25-Feb-20
“Illinois has plenty of NR tags and trophies still abound” Haha I burst out laughing when I read this. Perhaps on closely managed private land, but clearly this does not apply to public land. It’s the first place the throngs of NR head! Until it turns to into the same garbage we have everywhere else in the Midwest. Been there done that since 1989 on IA, IL, KS and IN public.

25-Feb-20

LBshooter's embedded Photo
LBshooter's embedded Photo
Zim, do you consider this a trophy deer? This was taken off of public in ILL this year. A couple of others as big or bigger still running around.

25-Feb-20
Peter-what a fantastic buck, congrats!

25-Feb-20
Iowa_archer pretty much summed it up. If iowa had vast tracts of public land it would be different. But it isn't.

25-Feb-20
Again success rate for archers is below 35% and thats for any deer not just a buck. I know several guys who kill good deer on public in quite a few states. I do ok myself, its about time invested and some knowledge. This may sound stupid but take your above average mid-west deer hunter that kills a great buck of 150 plus every other year. Bring then to the North East, choose a state, Mass, NY, Maine, NJ, Conn. and I would bet my house that he has trouble killing a 100" deer every 3 or 4 years and that can include private ground. I understand the grass is greener out in Iowa, Kansas and other midwestern states but to say it is the NR hunters wrecking the hunting in those states is truly absurd!! Shawn

25-Feb-20
Shawn, It’s not that non-residents are shooting all the deer, is that they are leasing up all the land or paying the outfitters who end up leasing all the land.

25-Feb-20
Pig doc, if the iowegians were buying up all the lakes in Minnesota and land in Colorado and then restricting your access to those resources your analogy would make sense.

You're comparing apples and oranges. And it makes no sense. I think you need a foot rub from a pretty lady.

25-Feb-20
LB, Not another “blind pig finds an acorn” post. There are exceptions to every rule, everywhere. Yes I’ve seen bucks like that pushed off of private by combines cutting corn etc. But they sure as hell won’t be there long! Was even able to take one of my own October 3rd 2014 as the first cold front breezed over the newly opened public property I was set up at. But these are gross abnormalities. Overall quality has taken a monumental plunge since 1989. That’s just a plain fact and no denying it.

25-Feb-20
Illinois allows non residents 2 buck tags. That’s a big no no. If Iowa was a 1 buck state or 2 for land owners I could understand the above arguments about locking us non residents out but it’s pretty hard to take that argument seriously when residents are regularly killing 3 bucks.take the 3rd buck from resident landowners and increase the non resident quota and you will still come out way ahead as far as quality.

25-Feb-20
I'm an Iowa resident and haven't shot a buck in the six seasons I've lived here, so you are all very welcome.

25-Feb-20
Most people who hunt Iowa arent landowners I would hazard a guess. I get 1 archery any sex tag, and one any sex for a gun season (early muzzy, shotgun 1 OR 2, or late muzzy).

I can use my bow during late muzzy to take the any sex deer.

So no, saying "most Iowans shoot 3 bucks" couldnt be farther from the truth.

Again, it isnt as much of an issue allowing more NR tags, its allowing NR landowners tags every year.

Uber rich buying up properties as fast as they can, driving up the price of property for people who, you know, actually live and pay taxes here in Iowa.

25-Feb-20
Iowabowhunter, thamks but I can't take credit, wish I could. My buddy shot it. There are plenty of big deer on public lands, they are old and wise, and escape the average Hunter. Zim, you seem to be unhappy no matter where your hunting, you moved to Indiana I believe and your still unhappy. Plenty of big bucks running you just have to get on them. There is a huge difference of hunting private ground vs heavily hunted public, the Bucks ar there, you just have to be good enough to get it done.

25-Feb-20
Iowabowhunter maybe I misread but NR landowners can't get a tag every year other than the fact they can draw first for leftover tags for gun1 or 2 and it's antlerless only(there are never anysex tags left) that are valid on their property only.Has that changed?

I hope they don't ruin Iowa like they did Illinois and now Kansas next up Missouri.

25-Feb-20
I was born raised and educated in Iowa and still own land there but can only bowhunt it once every 4 years now.As far as Iowa guys killing 3 that's not a common thing the hunters have noticed the decline of the herd and the guys I know limit themselves.Damn EHD is hurting us just about the time the herd recovers.

Who goes to Iowa to shoot a 140" deer that's like coming to Florida to catch a 7# bass.

25-Feb-20
LB, Puleeaase spare us this BS. I owned my own private for 15 years and I have hunted public in 15 states, including all of the best midwest for whitetail. I have experienced a lot, and taken many trophy bucks off public during that time. The last being a 162". You don't know me. You have never met me. The odds that you know more than me about multiple midwest state public deer herd quality since 1989 is slim and none. And we all know where slim went. Really sick of your personal attack antics. You deserve to live in Illinois and pay their ridiculous socialist taxes. That says a lot about you. Enjoy.

FACT - Illinois public is a shadow of it's former self. The same for Kansas. This is an undeniable fact. And it was all caused by liberal politicians like your state specializes in. And they are hard at work to further exploit the deer herd quality via current air-bow & straight wall cartridge legislation fueled by bought and paid for corrupt politicians. Your cheap words cannot change this fact. Illinois public cannot hold a candle to Iowa these days. They sold out years ago. I own a cheapened IL LL, yet have 3 Iowa points and am glad to wait my turn. I hope Iowa sportsmen hold off the corrupt politicians and don't pass this legislation to send them down this pathetic road Illinois has taken.

26-Feb-20
4Nolz lots of residents live there shoot 140" deer and a lot of them shoot a lot smaller deer. How many over 140 deer have you killed anywhere? Again all anyone has to do is look at the stats to see it is not the NR Bow hunters wrecking Iowa, it the residents that shoot all those young bucks including over 6 thousand buttons. Shawn

26-Feb-20
Good post Zim. Like it, or not, he hit the nail on the head. Illinois deer hunting is on a downward spiral at a super fast rate. Denial won't stop it.

26-Feb-20
What percent of IA hunters take more than one buck? Is that info out there?

26-Feb-20
JUST SAY NO TOO EXTRA TAGS. AND IF YOUR A NON RESIDENT LIKE ME DON'T ALLOW NON RESIDENTS TO PARTY HUNT DURING THE GUN SEASONS.

26-Feb-20
Maybe the gun groups shoot buttons by mistake Shawn.No one I know personally locally that bow hunts shoots those 140"ers they would rather pass than shoot them and they do pass them.Talking about bow hunting the rut.I agree Arrowonepy the party hunt system is a loophole that needs closed.How many TV shows have you seen where the guy shoots a average 8 point on the "last day" with a muzzleloader and swears its 150" give me a break.You shoot that 2 1/2 year old 8 point on my property you arent coming back.

26-Feb-20
Zim, I guess if all you want are large antlered deer to hunt then your not going to be happy anywhere you hunt. I'm into hunting and the meat that it provides. I give two s*#^s about antlers. Let's face it, antlers are for egos, and that's fine for those who choose to hunt for them. When was the last time you hunted Illinois public land? Lots of good deer running , see it every year, I guess If a 160 isnt killed then it's crappy place to hunt. Glad you feel that way, keep pushing that story, less pressure for me to deal with. A mature doe for me taken with a long bow at 15-30 yards is a trophy in my book and everytime I take a deer it's a trophy, can't beat that. Whe was the last time you hunted the chain, JTA, shabbona, desplaines? Just curious. So every state with the exception of Iowa is crap according to your findings? I remember you talking about moving, why didn't you move to Iowa instead of Indy? You would be in heaven killing 160-200 inch deer every year, suprised you didn't make that move. Just like politicians do, they capitalize on their resources to try to Improve the lives of everyone. If NR tags bring more out of towners, than more money goes to the local businesses, which makes their lives better. I love it when hunters focus on what's best for them only, because you want antlers lol.

26-Feb-20
The proposed changes to allowing Non Res landowners are running into some steep resistance. In my opinion the way the bill was originally worded “SSB3129” would not have been a negative to the quality of Iowa hunting. It required that the NRLO have owned the property for a minimum of 5 years ,that the property wasn’t enrolled in CRP and was a minimum of 80 acres to be given a either sex “Buck” tag. There are currently a few other bills that will have a lot more negative consequences. HF 716 would change again the legal centerfire rifle cartridges to allow necked cartridges of over .35 caliber in both gun season and late Mz. This would mean the 375H&H would be legal for about 40 days a year. Iowa’s current regulations don’t always make sense but they do work. Every change will always have unintended consequences.

26-Feb-20
Nolz you make my poinbt though, a dead deer is a dead deer no matter shot with a gun, bow or hit by a car. It sure as hell aint the NR gun hunters killing all those buttone. It also is true that not all 3.5 year olds are 140"s or more most likely it takes a buck 4.5 to be a 140" deer even in Iowa. I am not arguing for more tags, I am just stating that it is not the NR's that are hurting Iowas trophy potential, its the resident hunters be they gun, bow or muzzleloader hunters. 6000 tags and a 25 percent success rate for bowhunters, that 1500 deer, come on that don't make a dent. Shawn

26-Feb-20
Why is every NR saying the deer herd in iowa is hurting.

IT AINT BROKE SO QUIT TRYING TO FIX IT. Its really simple. If you want to hunt iowa every year move here.

26-Feb-20
Hans1 where can I follow the progression of the proposals? Good info thanks

26-Feb-20
I’m an Iowa resident but I hunt other states too and I’m grateful for the opportunities . Increasing NR tags to the amount being recommended will not make or break the state. I also question the idea that NR hunters will just kill anything. Maybe some, but definitely not the majority.

I also hunt a lot of public land and have killed some big deer. I rarely see another hunter. The biggest enemy that I have seen effect the herd has been EHD.

26-Feb-20
Once they take the same approach to CWD as neighboring IL and WI ot will all be over but the crying.

26-Feb-20
Sorry my numbers are way off, bowhunters only get about 2000 tags and 25% success is only 500 deer killed by NR bowhunters. Shawn

26-Feb-20

midwest's Link
"Hans1 where can I follow the progression of the proposals?"

Join the Iowa Bowhunters Association.

26-Feb-20
Four days a year in Iowa and four days a year in Kansas are awesome. For the last 10 years Killed nothing but saw some awesome deer

26-Feb-20
The best place to follow these bills is the Legislative forum on Iowa Whitetail. Gives a place to follow and debate all bills that pertain to Iowa deer and wildlife in general.

27-Feb-20
thanks

27-Feb-20
Semi related to this topic...how would someone be able to identify an anonymous poster(me) on this thread?

I ask because someone on this thread "found" me and then made reference to that in a PM that they sent me. I was going to inquire of the people that run this site, but I can't find anywhere how to contact the mod(s), etc.

27-Feb-20
Click on your handle and read your name.

27-Feb-20
Well you don't say...why even have handles then? I would guess that explains it, thank you.

27-Feb-20
Dave Alatalo what's your address,social security number,and birthdate? Asking for a friend. ----> :)

27-Feb-20
LMAO!! Yup that is how people communicate here when they don't want their comments public. I have two handles though because my smartphone would not let me sign in using my original info. Shawn

29-Feb-20
TTT any news? I saw they passed a blood trailing dog rule.

01-Mar-20
"...they're leasing up all of the land..." Seems like this might come down to a landowners right to profit off his or her land. I have no clue why the Iowa ag lobby doesn't have more power on such issues. Envious they don't run the show, though.

Scoob - your permit, shoot what you want as long as you're proud of it. Never let somebody else tell you what is or isn't a trophy.

01-Mar-20
Thanks Micheal I understand, but some of these guys act like they would not even take a second look at a 140" deer, yet look at how many smaller than that are shot by most residents of Iowa. I suppose if I had a few hundred acres to hunt or a few thousand of private in Iowa I may be more picky, but no one can tell me a 140" buck off of public land anywhere is not a good buck! Shawn

01-Mar-20
Strictly a social issue. A few thousand additional non resident tags will have minimal impact on the total deer harvest. Some resident hunters are concerned that any increase in non resident tags will lead to more leasing and hunting land sold to non residents.

01-Mar-20
I guess the only way to stop non residents from leasing and/or buying more land in Iowa would be for Iowans to lease or buy more land

And of course it's Iowa residents that are selling to non residents

01-Mar-20
They don't have a choice who they sell to. I think no matter what happens Iowa will be fine, unless they take away the draw and just make it over the counter tags like Colorado. Hey that's a idea, let's make Iowa OTC, I'd hunt there ever year.

01-Mar-20
I’d like to see the non resident tag allotment 65% bow and 35% gun. Right now it’s the opposite.

02-Mar-20
The bill SSB 3129 looks to be dead for this year this is the bill to allow some Nonresident landowner tags. This bill was registered as against by Farm Bureau on the surface it’s strange they would have sided that way. I think the bill to increase tags up to 2000 more is still on the table as is the necked rifle cartridges bill.

03-Mar-20
I'd love to buy some property here in Iowa. Good luck finding any property at a reasonable cost.

Looking at a 100 acre piece, will be upwards of 300k. Unreachable for guys my age who have regular non trust fund jobs. Cant just go back to school and become a lawyer or engineer when I'm already supporting my wife to go to school.

03-Mar-20
Life is all about priorities and choices.

03-Mar-20
Nothing I love more than greedy bowhunters crying about irrelevant things

05-Mar-20
Again look at the numbers. I just did going back 10 years. There is no argument that its the NRs hurting the deer herd. It is the residents and the gun guys mentality to shoot every deer they see on their deer drives. Guys saying " that means another 1000 young bucks" don't have a clue. Success rates even for residents are not 70 percent. Shawn

05-Mar-20

05-Mar-20
Amen.And I'm a NR.Only a politician can fix something that's not broken.

05-Mar-20
I am ALL FOR more NR tags in IA!

We all know it's not the NR's for ANY state that is the problem. It's always the residents.

05-Mar-20
I think it needs a bit of fixing but it starts with the residents, not the NRs that always get bashed. Iowa has to stop letting the residents shoot everything that moves during shotgun season. Don't complain about the 1500 extra tags is all I am saying complain about the guy that shoots 2 spikes on a deer drive than goes to the next public piece and do it again and use his buddies tags. Trust me I live in one of the worst states in the country for deer management and I see what a 2 and 3 buck limit does to a deer herd. Shawn

05-Mar-20
My other post should say it's not the NRs hurting the deer herd. Shawn

09-Mar-20
Got to love a guy from New York crying about Iowa residents legally hunting there own state......

10-Mar-20
Read the thread it's the Iowa residents crying the NRs are coming and shooting there deer and they complain we shoot anything to not go home empty handed!!! Like I said read first before responding!! My comments are fact, they bitch and moan about the NRs yet they are the ones wiping out the young bucks and hurting the herd, not 2000 NRs bowhunters who have less than a 30 percent success rate on bucks. Shawn

10-Mar-20
I kinda chuckle when guys are saying it the NR's - IMO totally wrong, least in my experiences. I live just a few miles (4?) away from IA so have plenty of friends that live and hunt across the border. Those guys shoot everything that moves. Not only that, but a lot of them are shooting multiple bucks a year. Once they are done putting on a drive on every small patch of grass they can find, they come over across the border and hunt in SD on their NR Guaranteed Archery tag...

IMO - Success rates are down because of disease outbreaks a few years ago and for the most part, residents shooting too many deer - don't blame NR's for the mess.

10-Mar-20
the underlying pressure to change the existing regulations is obviously from NR

10-Mar-20

Zim's embedded Photo
Zim's embedded Photo
"Zim, I guess if all you want are large antlered deer to hunt then your not going to be happy anywhere you hunt. I'm into hunting and the meat that it provides. I give two s*#^s about antlers. Let's face it, antlers are for egos, and that's fine for those who choose to hunt for them. When was the last time you hunted Illinois public land? Lots of good deer running , see it every year, I guess If a 160 isnt killed then it's crappy place to hunt. Glad you feel that way, keep pushing that story, less pressure for me to deal with. A mature doe for me taken with a long bow at 15-30 yards is a trophy in my book and everytime I take a deer it's a trophy, can't beat that. Whe was the last time you hunted the chain, JTA, shabbona, desplaines? Just curious. So every state with the exception of Iowa is crap according to your findings? I remember you talking about moving, why didn't you move to Iowa instead of Indy? You would be in heaven killing 160-200 inch deer every year, suprised you didn't make that move. Just like politicians do, they capitalize on their resources to try to Improve the lives of everyone. If NR tags bring more out of towners, than more money goes to the local businesses, which makes their lives better. I love it when hunters focus on what's best for them only, because you want antlers lol."

LB, Yes you are really connected with Iowans preaching your big doe utopia I'm sure they all yearn for that. I about hurled when I read your " Just like politicians do, they capitalize on their resources to try to Improve the lives of everyone. If NR tags bring more out of towners, than more money goes to the local businesses, which makes their lives better." You obviously have not visited the southern Illinois river ghost towns like Cairo, raped by taxes. Largest population loss county in the United States 26% since 2010. And that was BEFORE Pritzger's new 20% gas tax increasing the gas price difference to 60 cents/gallon at the Missouri state line. Ya Illinois politicians are making their lives better, but only because they move elsewhere. You speak like a true former state employee millionaire pensioneer, who sold their votes in exchange for step pay increases & bloated unsustainable pensions nonexistent in private industry.

BTW - My garage is full of P&Y bucks taken off the state lands you mention JTA, DesPlaines, Midewin, JEPC. But all prior to the massive downslide in IL public quality. That's how I know first hand how bad it slid. Hoping Iowa holds out.

10-Mar-20
I left IL in 2012 and never looked back. Best decision I ever made.

10-Mar-20
IMHO, if all states set there gun seasons up like Iowa and Kansas that have them in December every state would have more and bigger bucks to hunt. I have hunted Iowa many times and have shot some good bucks and also gone home without shooting an arrow. It is a great states to hunt but it is hard to keep permission to hunt private when you can only hunt every 4-5 years, so I have lost a lot of places I use to hunt. Still am able to hunt family lands but it is small parcels.

11-Mar-20
Has Kansas fallen to the crossgun lobbyists yet? The benefit of having no guns in November is minimal if there's a 3 month crossgun season cancer in place.

11-Mar-20
4nolz, no it is not!!! It is from the greedy polititians wanting more money and the money the NR residents bring to the economy, food, motels, gas!! Shawn

12-Mar-20
Nope

13-Mar-20
Nolz you mean to tell me a few thousand NRs complaining about Iowa tag numbers get these politians to try and pass these bills?? LMAO!! Shawn

15-Mar-20
Zim has spoken this thread is now locked.

• Sitka Gear