Kurt 16-Mar-20
JM 16-Mar-20
Rock 16-Mar-20
Matt Palmquist 16-Mar-20
bigbuck 16-Mar-20
BOHNTR 16-Mar-20
JSW 17-Mar-20
23-Feb-20
Just saw that this years P&Y convention will be right outside of DC, so I will have the opportunity to attend! I was planning on buying a ticket for Saturday. What should my expectations be going into this event? Being from MO, the only convention I’ve been to has been the Iowa Deer Classic, not sure if this is set up similar or if I am way off

23-Feb-20
Expect to have a great time and meet some nice people!

Don't know if they will have a Bowsite gathering, but if they do- this is where Bowsite.com becomes a reality to be able to put faces, names and personalities with Bowsite handles.

Enjoy the event.

23-Feb-20
We’ll be there exhibiting. Stop by the booth and see us.

23-Feb-20
Hope to make it there Thursday afternoon Ed

23-Feb-20
I’ll be there

23-Feb-20
be sure to attend all of the hunting seminars. Well worth the price of admission. Not like a deer classic show. More PY focused.

25-Feb-20
See ya there!

25-Feb-20
You must have just started bowhunting? Because the P&Y convention was in your own state Missouri just 3 years ago.

26-Feb-20
My family will be there!! We wouldn't miss a convention and are real excited to see how great this off year convention is going to be.

Boggs make sure you look me up to introduce yourself and hello.

26-Feb-20

26-Feb-20
I live about 20 miles away, so I’ll be attending. I go to a number of conventions pretty regularly so I’d like to experience P&Y first hand.

26-Feb-20
We'll be there exhibiting as well! As far east as I've ever been. Looking forward to seeing everyone.

Russ - Adrenaline Outfitters

26-Feb-20
I’m upset I have to go to the Bahamas so I’m gonna have to miss it... Any fat bald guys wanna trade places? Maybe my wife won’t notice.

26-Feb-20
Shug. Post pic of your wife. I might have some free time :)

26-Feb-20

JTreeman's embedded Photo
JTreeman's embedded Photo
Rob, here is a pic of Marks wife...needless to say she married up!

—Jim

26-Feb-20
Thanks Jim... She actually put that photo as my phone screen saver that was a great time with you and your girlfriend in Bora Bora

26-Feb-20
Well Shug I'm in if you need a stand in while you go play with bow and arrows. We will both suffer through the weekend

26-Feb-20
Attended my 1st 40 yrs. ago have'nt mised one since.

26-Feb-20
Just registered and booked flights. Be in for Thursday and Friday.

27-Feb-20
I registered last week, does P&Y send back a conformation email ?? Also anyone else doing the shoot? Ed

27-Feb-20
Friday and Saturday for me.

27-Feb-20
It was mean of all you guys to not mention that tradition demands all first-time Bowsiters pick up the bar tab. I guess they were going to surprise you with that news Boggs, but I'm here to fill you in so you are sure to bring your wallet.

27-Feb-20
I wonder what room number I will get this year...

27-Feb-20
Ace, the convention just so happens to fall 2 weeks after my 21st birthday, so I plan on having quite the bar tab myself, if some more bowhunters hop on it there's no telling how many digits would be on that thing

27-Feb-20
You will fit in great then;)

27-Feb-20
Pretty sure the minimum drinking age in Virginia is 22 ..Sorry Chase

27-Feb-20
First P&Y Convention initiations can be brutal... Ed F

27-Feb-20
If possible, (before you reserve your room) try to find out what room Zackman is in, and book your’s on the opposite end of the hotel! Unless, of course, you don’t plan on sleeping.

Seriously, you will have a ball. Looks like some of bowsite’s good guys will be there. Treeman might be there as well ;-)

28-Feb-20
This thread started with a message regarding the Pope and Young Club. One has to wonder how they will survive. The past 45 years was relatively easy, all they had to do was change their policies to first accept the technology of the newly discovered compound bow with about 30% let off. From there, they subsequently altered their policies multiple times to accept even more let off in draw weight. These changes in core policies were of course due to the fact their hunting base was feeding their appetite for increasingly high tech compounds, making trophy gathering an easier proposition. The intrinsic value of high scoring animals has been heavily watered down from the " Hunting the Hard Way " era. Now, in an increasing number of states, the compound bow is rapidly being replaced with the crossbow, about another 20% let off from most current compound bows.

How will the P&Y club exist going forward when a very large portion of hunters during the archery season are killing trophies not eligible for entry into the club? I realize one does not have to enter trophies to become a member. However, that message will not alter the reality of perception, and never has to any large extent.

I am in no way hoping to harm the club, just the opposite. I have personally donated to their museum in Chatfield, and sincerely hope they survive. If I was a decision maker in a company or organization rapidly losing it's perspective audience and base, I would be very concerned and start discussing the change monster. You know, " Who Moved My Cheese? ". If you do not know, I would suggest reading it.

What constructive or visionary input do all of you have for the P&Y Club types going forward? By types, I mean clubs and businesses reliant on the high tech compound bow for survival. The cheese has been moved.

28-Feb-20
MB, I do agree with what you are saying. And as I believe u know the club is making changes to address changes in the times we live in today. About the only thing at this time I don't agree with them on is asterisk symbol they use for let-off. Why is it really used and who's idea was it to use it. No I've never brought it up or talked about it till just now.

But I think in the future you are going to see more changes. And I'm sure it would be for the betterment of the club. Ed

28-Feb-20
This discussion should front and center at this event.

28-Feb-20
They are a good organization and should not turn a blind eye to the realities upon the archery community. Not a time to be emotional, a time to be strategic and calculated with a long term vision.

28-Feb-20
There hasn’t been an asterisk listed for years.

28-Feb-20
BOHNTR Thanks, I didn't know they did away with it. To me it never made one difference if it was 0 or 80 %... Again thanks Ed

29-Feb-20
Or 100%,...……. One has to wonder how and why the lines were drawn, and where does it really end ???? This should be the biggest discussion at the meeting.

29-Feb-20
Missouribreaks, out of curiousity, will you be attending the convention?

29-Feb-20
I think Boggs is my new best friend!

29-Feb-20
I will be attending my 1st PnY convention as well. Driving from Michigan. Really looking forward to it and thinking about bringing my weapon. What's the 3D course like?

29-Feb-20
I will not be at the convention, which is why I am providing some thought on a public bow hunting forum....Hoping to stir some positive discussions, by providing positive input. The challenges are real!

29-Feb-20
Fuzz- sounds like a course with custom made targets of every world record of the 29 na p y animals. Sounds awesome. If I was u I’d bring my bow or you’ll regret it!!!!

02-Mar-20
I was at Pittsburgh’s RMEF banquet on Saturday. One if the largest RMEF chapters in the US. They said that PA has over 14,000 RMEF members. What is P&Y’s membership?

02-Mar-20
P&Y approximately 7k members total at all levels

02-Mar-20
Wish I was going, but I won't be able to make it this year. Looking forward to '21 though.

02-Mar-20
I'm not going to make it. I guess they are starting a Hall of Fame & my late father is being inducted. My mother & brother will be attending for him.

02-Mar-20
Missouri breaks- if they wouldn’t have changed to allow compound entries, I think they would be bankrupt by now

02-Mar-20
I agree 1 boonr. If I was in the board room looking at the obstacles ahead, I would consider changing again.

02-Mar-20
It’s a “no” for me too. I’ll be sticking with the Biannual awards conventions for the foreseeable future.

—Jim

06-Mar-20

BOHNTR's embedded Photo
BOHNTR's embedded Photo
Here’s some info just off the wire....Uncle Ted, the Motor City Madman, will be at the Convention Friday night!

07-Mar-20
That is cool. Great speaker You think Nugent is a pope and young member?

07-Mar-20
Wonder if it gets cancelled over the covid19 virus Lots of gatherings certainly are.

07-Mar-20
I remember sitting at a noon lunch with Ted Nugent at the Salt Lake City P&Y Convention, probably 19 yrs ago. Suspect he was a member back then.

07-Mar-20
Does anyone know if the auction hunts will have online biding? I dont see them listed anywhere.

07-Mar-20
Trial153—if I’m not mistaken they are on Onlinehuntingauctions.com

—Jim

07-Mar-20

JTreeman's Link
It is, see if the link works.

—Jim

07-Mar-20
Yes, the auction will be online and Jim's link is right on. We have well over 40 hunts for this auction, probably closer to 50. The P&Y crew has done an unbelievable job of soliciting hunts and top end items for the auction. If you can't attend, please register for the online auction. You never know where your next great adventure might be.

We are also going to have over 20 world record trophies on display. I'm just now finishing up remounting the WR and #3 typical Columbian blacktails, which have been on display at the museum. Both are amazing specimens and I'm proud to have been able to work on them for display. Just seeing all the trophies will make it worth attending.

This is going to be a really fun event and I'm looking forward to seeing everyone there.

07-Mar-20
In case you haven't heard, Ted Nugent and his guitar will be there Friday evening. That will be pretty cool.

08-Mar-20
I don't believe Ted is a member.

09-Mar-20
How many people will attend this his event

09-Mar-20
Many of the past special guests have not been members. He has a big public profile. Member or not any club support we can get is appreciated.

09-Mar-20
I hope Ted is a member.... If he isn't a member being a speaker at P & Y is just wrong. We ask our fellow Bowsiters to be members but would give a celebrity a pass? I'm just an associate life member & can't vote but was going to try to move to regular life membership before the Reno convention. Close to home & the wife loves Reno! Have to see who is speaking at Reno before we make plans.

09-Mar-20
Doesn’t bother anyone that Ted is pretty vocal about not supporting fair chase? Isn’t that a cornerstone that our club is built on?

09-Mar-20
^^^^^^^ Me

09-Mar-20
Maybe Ted will change some of his views after attending... I'll bet he's a member before the convention. I'll gladly pay for it. I think he's a positive for overall bowhunting. Believe it or not some threw a fit over Don Jr. attending... Ed F

09-Mar-20
Assuming the event is eventually held tHe whackmaster will be a big hit among the blood brothers of the mystical arrows flight. Uncle ted will bring down the house as he spins tales of whacking em’ an stacking em’ for some backstrap pumpstation protein

09-Mar-20
Ted is what Ted is.

He will be a big draw for the convention. If he is a member he should be thrown out BUT still be used for fund raising and recruitment.

He is a riot to be around and an incredible spokesman for the NRA and hunting

I'm glad he is on the agenda for this year

09-Mar-20
Ed- I’ll split the membership with you. Have fun out thier

09-Mar-20
I agree, Ted puts asses in the seats. But I also agree that he really isn’t the guy we want as the face of the organization.

And I do kinda think he should be a member, and I think it’s silly guys are offering to pay for it. But quite honestly I don’t think he meets the clubs membership requirements.

—Jim

09-Mar-20
What membership requirements does Ted not meet? Yes, Fair Chase ethical bowhunting is the cornerstone of the Club. I would submit that Ted does his fair share of Fair Chase ethical bowhunting. But, I guarantee there are dedicated members that occasionally hunt with a rifle, high fence Africa, gps collard hounds... As far as me offering to pay... that was my gesture of hope. Ed F

09-Mar-20
If I’m not mistaken (and I could be) I believe one of the question on the membership application is something to the effect of “have you ever committed any wildlife violations”. I’m fairly certain it was several years ago when I joined.

Again if I’m not mistaken, Uncle Ted has plead guilty on multiple occasions to wildlife violations in multiple states.

—Jim

09-Mar-20
Oops... didn't know about that. My bad. Ed F

10-Mar-20
JTreeman, you're correct about the violations and if you look at the time the NRA was pushing crossbows into several states Ted was on the board doing the pushing. Maybe he still is ,I don't know that's when I dropped my membership.

10-Mar-20
Ted Nugent has Violations and convictions in California and Alaska, warnings in South Dakota. An outspoken advocate for crossbows during archery season. Furthermore go listen to diatribes on high fence “hunting “ In the United States and compare that to our organizations support and advocacy for fair chase. Who’s terrible idea was this?

10-Mar-20
Perhaps Ted is their lead to acceptance of the scoped and cocked crossbow, and crossbow harvest registrations.

10-Mar-20
Ha....never happen

10-Mar-20
I hope not, but then the P&Y Club has a rich history of making sacrifices. They must at least be discussing how they will survive in the face of the scoped and cocked crossbow revolution now taking place amongst hunters and manufacturers.

10-Mar-20
Ha....okay. :)

10-Mar-20
Geez folks, lighten up. Since when do you have to agree with everything that someone says or does to be entertained by them.

Ted has graciously offered to be a part of a tribute to the great Fred Bear on Friday evening. It will be worth seeing. I guarantee it.

11-Mar-20
Is he going to do a show and play the guitar live. That would be excellent. Him Singing about Fred live would be awesome

11-Mar-20
As I recall, it was the 50th Anniversary convention in Rochester, MN when Michael Waddell spoke at the Saturday luncheon. The Saturday luncheon is normally aimed for kids.

The first thing Waddell said was that he was not a member of P&Y. There were some "boo's" from the audience. He gave a great presentation and at the end he was given a P&Y record book, a P&Y cap, and encouraged to join. Following that he presented every kid in the audience with a backpack with P&Y stuff in it and got to have their picture made with him. He was a hit.

Last year, Don Jr. was a major hit in Omaha. Was he/is he a member of P&Y?

I think Nugent will likewise be a hit whether he is a member of P&Y or not.

All three of these celebrities have different personalities and ideas, but they all have one thing in common- they love bowhunting.

11-Mar-20
Well stated Buffalo1.

11-Mar-20
Are there any rumblings of possible Corona virus concerns affecting the convention yet?

12-Mar-20
How can there not be ?

12-Mar-20
There certainly has not been any acknowledgement of it based on multiple inquirers above. Unbelievable, but there has to be a plan to do the right thing here.

Can’t believe this thing will happen as planned. Irresponsible action if by chance the event is not postponed. There are billion dollar organizations that are deferring to an overabundance of caution in order to make sure the broader community, not just their group, company, or industry, is not exposed to something that they may have been found complicit in contributing to.

Come on step up and be leaders here and don't give hunters a black eye. Don't wait to be told you have to do something, do it proactively and show awareness and concern for others.

12-Mar-20
Hello. Anyone home? Testing 1,2,3

12-Mar-20
Ultimately, the members will decide whether or not this event will go on.

Speaking as an American citizen, the hysteria and fear mongering over this virus is just un-freakingbelievable. Shutting down the world will ultimately make little difference. At some point, every human on earth that is not completely isolated, will be exposed. Let's just live our lives and get through it. I just saw an interview from an older gentleman who contracted the virus and was quarantined on a cruise ship. He said he had a high fever but other than that, it wasn't all the bad. Doctors are screaming, "Stop listening to the hysteria."

This has gotten so far out of control it is beyond belief.

12-Mar-20
Agree with Jim on this one. . . .

12-Mar-20
Unfortunately this is all political, damned if you do, damned if you don't. Diseases are nothing new, but how we create hysteria is at a new record.

12-Mar-20

Rut Nut's embedded Photo
Rut Nut's embedded Photo
I was at the PA High School State Swim Championships at Bucknell U. Yesterday. Everyone lines up in the field house waiting to get into the Natatorium. They had these signs posted in every line:

12-Mar-20

Rut Nut's embedded Photo
Rut Nut's embedded Photo
What a JOKE! There must have been almost 1,000 people in that line! : (

12-Mar-20
Did the nba make their decision based on member vote. MLB? NCAA? Companies that have taken swift action to limit travel and meetings and close contact. Did they take a membership survey

Communities that are closing schools. Did they ask the students what to do?? No. Someone in each case with sage counsel and input made tough calls. It’s not about the guys who want to keep going to games or class or work and take a risk. It’s about the potential collateral damage inflicted on others by people who were willing to take a risk

leaders step up and lead

12-Mar-20
I hear constantly that P&Y has so little sway because of the small membership. Am I now hearing that P&Y is so important that they could be responsible for causing measurable damage to public health and is being compared in importance to the massiveness of the National Basketball Association?

I’m a little confused. But, I’m obviously not as intelligent as some others

12-Mar-20
I think some are simply suggesting to follow the recommendations set forth by the CDC. IMO, there is hysteria, but still best to follow the suggestions of the CDC. Perhaps the P&Y gathering does not fit the CDC suggested criteria. That is for them to decide, not me.

12-Mar-20
Zackman I'm not confused at all and I touch multiple people everyday for a living. What I see here is an awesome opportunity to be able to move freely in and out of the hospitality room without having a drink spilled all over me for once!! Hope to see you and The Nuge in 2 weeks God willing.

12-Mar-20
I don’t think the cdc would have a problem with the convention it’s the massive after party that has them worried :)

12-Mar-20
JSW you are spot on!!! Although common sense measures should be utilized and actually practiced even more carefully it is something that should be done all the time. History shows us we have a very poor record of controlling disease or natural disasters through isolation. With that said we are all adults and this is a very fluid situation right now so a common sense approach should be applied by everyone.

12-Mar-20
People sitting on the sidelines have no idea what is involved with putting on an event like this. There are dozens of things that need to be considered, not the least of which are contractual obligations. You don't simply default on contracts unless you are willing to shell out a ton of money. NBA and NHL can afford to do whatever they want. P&Y doesn't have the luxury.

This hysteria is going to ruin some businesses before it settles out. The tourism, travel and hospitality industry is going to take a huge hit.

If we are allowed to travel and gather in Virginia the last weekend in March and a significant number of our members want to go ahead and meet, I will join them.

Right now, we all need to settle down and wait and see what transpires over the next few days. Airlines are being very flexible with cancellations and refunds. Hotel reservations can be cancelled on fairly short notice. None of this has to be decide today.

12-Mar-20
I agree that all this shutting down of the world is probably not going to have much of an affect other than to ruin the economy more than it already will be. It may slow the spread down and maybe that'll be a good thing for things like ICU beds and ventilator access, but it's too late to contain the spread of the virus through isolation except maybe on a personal level. It's going to go everywhere.

Nonetheless, there are other things to consider that I won't discuss in public.

12-Mar-20
I never thought Americans would stop living their lives over threat of the flu. This doesn’t look as bad as past outbreaks.

12-Mar-20
Do what you feel is right for your situation. For me, I will choose to stay away from crowds, conventions, airports, etc. Not for me, but for my girlfriend that has cancer. That puts her in a high risk group. Please keep those people in mind too and not just yourselves.

While there more panic and hysteria than there needs to be, don't kid yourselves into thinking that there is nothing to this. It will be interesting to see the R0 (R subzero, or transmission rate for this).

Be vigilant, use common sense, and consider others situations as much as your own.

12-Mar-20
First Shiras42, I'm thinking of you and your girl friend. My girl friend of 12 years found out a 2 years ago she had cancer. Luckily all when well for her..

As for the P&Y convention. It's my choice and I'm planning on being there. Yes there is a ton of work and money put out for this, the convention center, outfitters, flights and getting all the stuff to the local. I'm sure I missed stuff!!! 100's of man hours and my guess 100K $.

See you all that will be going, in 2 weeks Ed

12-Mar-20
I would cancel. Think of grandpa and his well-being.

Hope either a vaccine is expedited or somehow this trend is reversed.

12-Mar-20
That thing won't be held. Like a dead man walking it just does not know it yet.

12-Mar-20
"I never thought Americans would stop living their lives over threat of the flu. This doesn’t look as bad as past outbreaks."

While I agree with your first sentence, I'm perplexed at your second sentence. As bad as what? The Influenza that comes every year? That's just patently false. It's killing a larger percentage of people than Influenza does, except for the 1918 flu - if that's what you're talking about when you say "past outbreaks."

If you're talking about MERS/SARS, yeah, it's not as bad as those as far as death rate, but those killed people so fast, it burnt itself out with moderate quarantine efforts due to the high death rate.

12-Mar-20
Its all because there are too many lawyers. Everyone is running scaird of getting sued.

12-Mar-20

12-Mar-20

Buffalo1's Link
Zack has the formula for DIY sanitizer before entering his room !

13-Mar-20
This will also be my first, been hoping to make one for the past 20 years ,been registered since Dec. hope they don't cancel but seems like everything in the world is being cancelled,leave next weekend for the 700 mile drive going to visit the daughter who lives in VA for a few days before.

13-Mar-20
Am I reading that right? Contracts over people, communities and members? That is so far off freaking base its scary.

14-Mar-20
Man I want to see everyone and have a good time. It wont happen. The snowball is picking up speed and heading downhill on a 20 degree slope in regards to cancelling events.

Matt

14-Mar-20
I think you are right trial153 but if you look at all the events of the past couple weeks the one common theme is that if contracts or money was in anyway at stake nothing was changed and things generally went on as normally planned without disruption or economic impact to anyone.

14-Mar-20
Our local youth turkey calling contest was just cancelled. Hope everyone has fun at the big convention. Maybe ESPN will broadcast it since nothing else will be happening.

14-Mar-20
It will be the lead story.

“ State shut down but bow hunters convene to celebrate three new world records”

Story at 11

It ain’t happening so just shut it down voluntarily and get some "credit" for the act vs. waiting to be told and then being seen as compliant and obstinant vs. socially aware and compassionate.

14-Mar-20
I see that they closed down the ST Charles Museum of Bowhunting in Chatfield till further notice.

14-Mar-20
along with every apple store in the country

14-Mar-20
Yea but......

14-Mar-20
We have a couple of people on this post who were never planning to attend the convention who are now demanding that we cancel the event. Whether or not we cancel will not affect them whatsoever, yet, they demand that we act. See the trend here. When you demand that something be done, without regard for the consequences, simply because you want to make a political statement, that is… well, BS. You can rant and criticize all you want. I know the vast majority of bowsite users will see it for what it is.

I’ve explained in detail why we haven’t cancelled the event and then get slammed for putting money before our member’s health. Just exactly who has been harmed by us waiting? Statements like these encourage bad decisions and I’m not going to be bullied. I will always walk into the roar.

This is exactly why so many of us are disgusted with the hysteria and why we think it has gone completely off the deep end. People have decided to make it political and use it to promote their personal agenda and the cost is going to be enormous.

I also realize that this will just make them double down with their criticism. Sadly, that’s how it works nowadays.

14-Mar-20
Jim sounds your one making the political statement. Nothing new for you, sadly.

14-Mar-20
Jim, that's the point. It is NOT about people who want to take a risk. This isn't a guy deciding he will jump out of plane and if it goes bad only he is impacted or maybe one dude on the ground if he lands on him. people who are together in tight quarters with large groups are taking a risk for all of us. They then come back to post convention interactions in a community, a church, a workplace, a grocery store, a little league dugout, a courtroom, a local pizza parlor, a toll plaza on I-95. They did not stop the sporting events out of concern only for the fans that had tickets!

I am not demanding anything I am in no position to influence anything. I am irrelevant. I am just watching how things are being handled worldwide and looking in amazement at the unbelievable pace of change and who is and is not shining in a dark time.

There are many examples of people shining. Like the 19 year old kid who is paying the wages for an entire stadium crew while they are out of work. Only a person in leadership can influence something. I am making a difference in the places I am a leader.

I am just saying it's going to happen and delaying the inevitable is senseless. You look silly. The organization looks tone deaf. The world is wrong and the smartest scientists alive have messed this up but by God those bow hunters know the real scoop.

We are beyond debating if this is over-blown, media driven, political necessary, or being under-played. It really does not matter one bit. it is not debatable that the world is very different, the economy is very different, hundreds of millions of lives have already been changed forever if in no way other than economically.

how we got there matters not compared to the fact we are there. On 9/12/01 we started living many parts of our lives differently. Traveled differently, looked at others differently, protected outselves differently, etc. It was instantaneous and lasting because of a plane and a tower. This will have at least the same impact. It will never be exactly the way it was before this situation. Ever,

Since you are engaging in debate here would you share the odds that you are currently giving this event being conducted as planned on the dates planned.

14-Mar-20

JSW's Link

16-Mar-20
Lot of sportsmen's banquets in PA are in the same boat. Waiting to hear what the Gov. is going to decide. Our annual Disabled Hunter Banquet is supposed to take place in 5 days. Still no word............................................ NY and Ohio have shut down bars and restaurants to ONLY take-out and delivery. Wonder how many Wedding Receptions will be affected?

UPDATE: Just got word our Disabled Hunter Banquet is officially postponed. CDC is now calling for 8 week ban on gatherings of 50+

16-Mar-20

Rut Nut's Link

16-Mar-20
This entire thing is a giant crap sandwich and I've already had to take several bites. Unfortunately we are all going to take a few more before its over and done with. We've postponed our RMEF event which has over 400 attendees, I have family that has lost out on opportunities to compete for state and national championships, I have a high school senior at home that is missing out on events that most seniors get to do and that she will now never get to experience in her lifetime, these are just to name a few. These things are happening to families, businesses, individuals, and non-profits all over the country right now. We are not unique, and things will get worse before they get better. I'm sure PnY will consider all of these things when making their decision whether or not to move forward with this convention based upon the best info available. Until then stay safe and stop buying all the damn toilet paper.

16-Mar-20
Very well said Brotsky!

I have zero skin in the PY convention but it is more than likely that it will be cancelled either by the club or by the State Or by the amount of cancellations of those planning to attend.

I wish those involved the best of luck!!

16-Mar-20
Just received word that NWTF has postponed all event for two months.

16-Mar-20
Just heard from a friend in Virginia that the convention has been canceled. Any truth to this?

16-Mar-20
Yes

16-Mar-20

Rut Nut's embedded Photo
Rut Nut's embedded Photo
Just to lighten things up a bit...............

16-Mar-20
did they do it voluntarily or did they act on a mandate

16-Mar-20
I'm pretty sure everything that has been cancelled, postponed, or otherwise inconvenienced in the past couple weeks has been done on a mandate of sorts has it not? Conversely, does it matter?

16-Mar-20
They have been pretty quiet on this nothing on their website ,still advertising it.

16-Mar-20
Brotsky No it has not. There have been many examples of companies, groups, communities, churches, schools, even individuals etc. doing things in advance of being forced to do so. In the end it is what it is. Some just appear more proactive, in-tune, responsible, and understanding of the big picture than others. The the optics of being smart and proactive vs. simply compliant and defiant is worth something to some and nothing to others.

16-Mar-20
Everyone of us should read Bou’s posts above and let it sink, because it absolutely does matter.

16-Mar-20
I haven't seen anyone "forced" to cancel or postpone anything by any government agency. I've only seen recommendations by federal, state, and local governments which have largely been followed prior to events being held. I haven't seen anything different in this scenario. Unless of course I'm trying hard to belittle or diminish a certain group for not making decisions based on a perceived timeline of right and wrong.

16-Mar-20
If we can’t value each other as members, as individuals and parts of our community over contracts then what does that say about us and our organization? Forget optics and how it relates to your political opinions and place value on the most important thing, our own humanity.

16-Mar-20

MQQSE's embedded Photo
MQQSE's embedded Photo

16-Mar-20
Well, I'm not going to pretend to understand why club leadership might cancel or not prior to a mandate. I've never held such an office or been in charge of such an event. That said, I could definitely envision such an event being insured...and expect insurance reimbursement would be a slam dunk with the mandate. Could also envision any potential contract disputes being cut and dry with the mandate in place. Again, that's just pure speculation on my part....

16-Mar-20
The Board of Directors set a date to decide whether or not to proceed with the banquet and that date was yesterday. Ultimately, the decision was taken out of our hands when the Governor of Virginia made it illegal for more than 100 people to gather.

Apparently my earlier explanation of contractual obligations were too complex for some to understand. Being "proactive" in this situation would have cost the Club about $150K. I think it was worth waiting those extra few days to have a legal way to cancel without penalty.

There still could be legal ramifications involved so don't expect further explanation.

16-Mar-20
Good job P&Y, Jim and the BOD. Sounds almost exactly like what the Wild Sheep Society BC did last Thursday evening after the BC Provincial Health Officer banned gatherings of >250 that day. Unfortunate the convention was due to start the following day, but such is life. The auctions will be done online at a later date. The big raffle hunts were drawn Saturday "live on Facebook".

16-Mar-20
Thanks Jim for the explanation, I know the Board is doing their best under difficult circumstances.

16-Mar-20
Jim and all P&Y BOD, thanks for all you do and for putting up with all the grief that people want to always throw at you. Hope the online auction goes well and the club can make some money out of this.

16-Mar-20
Glad you waited to see how things unfolded. Disappointed, but guess that will make Reno that much better!

16-Mar-20
I am curious I know they have have a lot invested in this and they said we could have a full refund ,they also said that we could make it a tax deductible donation to the club,not that I am have a lot of spare money being retired but if I knew that this was really going to hurt the club I would make that a donation.I know someone said that they probably have insurance but you think the club would make it public what they are looking at for losses and how many where thinking of doing it

16-Mar-20
Thanks, Ron!

17-Mar-20
At this point it is hard to calculate how much money will be lost due to cancelling the event. On the low end, it will be $50K. A lot depends on how some of the vendors/suppliers react. Will we be able to move some of those commitments to 2021? There is a lot that's just unknown. We also haven't found a way to get insurance to pay for this.

We have a convention for a number of reasons, not the least of which is to raise funds for much needed projects. Not only do we have out of pocket expenses, which are considerable and we won't recoup, but we also have the lost revenue, that we were counting on to keep the doors open, so to speak. This setback won't bankrupt the Club but we do need to figure out how to make up for the losses.

Be sure to register for the online hunt auction that will still take place on Saturday, March 28. We have some great hunts donated and it would be a shame if you missed out on a hunt you were dying to do.

• Sitka Gear