Zbone 26-Feb-20
Rupe 26-Feb-20
buci 313 26-Feb-20
btb 26-Feb-20
grizzley21 26-Feb-20
Pat Lefemine 26-Feb-20
Scooby-doo 26-Feb-20
25-Feb-20
Am I reading this correctly: As a non-resident landowner of Ohio I am not required to buy a license for hunting, trapping if my state (CT) allows non-resident landowners the same privilege (which it does)?

I am closing on a 130 acre farm and I just saw this in the regs book. I’m thinking I must be missing some caveat like it’s only for small game or other restrictions but it doesn’t appear that way.

If this is accurate, do they issue you a free license and tags? How do you report a kill?

I will probably buy it anyway to support OFG but I’d like to confirm nonetheless.

Thanks

25-Feb-20
There is no such thing as a state-issued landowner license or landowner deer tags in Ohio. If correct, you don't need any type of license or tags in your possession while hunting your land. That doesn't apply if you need to go off-property to recover a deer though. Trailing a wounded deer is considered 'hunting' and you must tag any deer correctly before moving it an inch. Landowner tagging is only permitted on the owner's property.

For your property you simply need to make your own temporary deer tag and attach it to the animal before moving. Then you can do a tele-check or website check-in of the kill. You'll receive a permanent ID number that has to accompany the deer (& parts) everywhere it goes.

25-Feb-20
As long as it’s your property you don’t need a out of state license or tag nor would your son... it your grandchildren would. We own a farm in Adams county and have investigated as well when farm was purchased.

25-Feb-20
just to elaborate on the above. when checking any game on-line after you identify yourself, there is an option whether to check it in under the game tag # or a land owner tag. very simple process.

25-Feb-20
Yep, landowners (and kids) don't need license and tags while on property. Checking in is via phone using a keypad....just answer all the questions and write down the number at the end of it.

25-Feb-20
Kevin: does that mean the landowner can kill whatever they want? Limits or any other restrictions?

25-Feb-20
Bag limits per the state regulations still apply to landowners.

25-Feb-20
I recommend talking to the game warden assigned to your county. Our book in Ohio can be ambiguous. Gary

25-Feb-20
I’m mainly a leatherwaller but I enjoy reading over here. The big caveat with the NR Ohio landowner thing is that your resident state has to have the same law in their state. Usually its word for word in the regulations book. IN has the exact same law, go look at the two books if you need an example. From Kevin, sounds like OH needs some revisions in their laws.

25-Feb-20
"does that mean the landowner can kill whatever they want? Limits or any other restrictions?"

No, regs and limits are statewide regardless if you own the land or not, you still abide by Ohio regulations and limits (not your home state's) and the zone's for antleress limits, (deer limits are set by zones) you just don't have to pay for the tags if you own the land, just fill in "landowner" during the game check system... You do have to have some kind of a homemade tag attached to the deer if your a landowner before you can move the deer, whether before game check with name, date, and time of kill, and county or after game check (if you check it in on cell phone or something in the field) then receive your harvest tag number... Thing to remember though, Ohio is a ONE antlered deer only statewide limit regardless of method of kill... There is no legal way to kill 2 antlered bucks in an annual deer hunting season....

Antlerless deer are any deer without antlers or antlers under 3"... If you kill a buck with just one little spike a fraction over 3", ya gotta to use your buck tag so to speak...

26-Feb-20
I believe the land owner must be an Ohio resident in order to acquire "Landowner Permits" for hunting.

A simple call or e-mail to the ODNR for the proper info.

26-Feb-20
Pat - Your licensing question is answered on page 35, exemption number 2.

You no longer have to place a tag on the animal before you move it. See page 17.

http://wildlife.ohiodnr.gov/portals/wildlife/pdfs/hunting/2019-20%20Ohio%20Hunting%20&%20Trapping%20Regulations.pdf

26-Feb-20
"Exempt landowners are required to make a tag and include their name, date, time, and county of kill. The tag may remain unattached until the hunter arrives at a residence or temporary lodging. Once the hunter leaves the game unattended, the completed permit or tag, or confirmation code, must be attached. The permit or confirmation code is required to remain with the game at all times. "

Might not need a tag now to move it, but wouldn't go too far away from carcass without some tag on it...

26-Feb-20
Congratulations on the new farm.

26-Feb-20
lol

Pat,

I stand corrected !

I should have followed my own advise !

Non resident land owners do not need a licence to hunt their own property.

26-Feb-20
good luck Pat. Years ago I leased 500 acres and all the locals had drives on it every year. after I leased and posted, the postings were down and it was overrun during gun season. I tried to keep hunters off but it was impossible even during turkey season. they even poached at night. I gave up after 5 years. Harrison county.

26-Feb-20
no license/tag if the non-residents home state allows residents of ohio owning property in the nonresidents home state , to hunt without aa license, tag or permit, so if I own land in new York, but live in ohio, has to work both ways.

26-Feb-20
Thanks for the info. I thought I was reading it right. Still find it strange and not sure I like it - even though it allows me to save a few bucks. I think everyone should have to buy a license. I likely will buy one anyways. I don't anticipate hunting off my land for deer, but ducks and geese are an entirely different story.

btb - I hear you. But part of my diligence prior to making an offer was to have conversations with neighbors and I am now 100% confident I made the right decision. The property is located at the end of a dead-end road and it surrounded by larger acreages. I also lucked out because two of my four borders have hard-core bowhunters who practice QDM. The other two have no hunting on them. We've talked several times and I am already getting pics of named bucks and they are dandies! They all tell me that trespassing is basically nonexistent there. But nonetheless, my custom metal "Private Hunting Club" posted signs just arrived and they tend to be effective at dissuading trespassers. I won't stop them all, but I am not concerned.

26-Feb-20
Pat not sure where your property is but don't overlook public out there. Even if it just gives you a chance to let your property cool off a day or two. Shawn

• Sitka Gear