sticksender 26-Feb-20
Bowfreak 26-Feb-20
KY EyeBow 26-Feb-20
bentshaft 27-Feb-20
hanoverritual 27-Feb-20
Shaft2Long 27-Feb-20
bigbuck 28-Feb-20
26-Feb-20
Looking at buying the Ultra Axius which is 34 in axel to axel ,my draw is 29 1/2 which would require a #2 cam ,the pro shop owner is trying to talk me into the Alpha Axius which is 29 1/2 axel to axle but has the #3 cam for 29 1/2 ,he says the #2 cam is junk not even close to the #3,of course he doesn't have the #2 to try ,has anyone tried the # 2 and is it different then the #3

26-Feb-20
To be frank I might consider finding a new pro-shop if your guy says one cam is "junk" compared to the other. Insisting that you switch bow models so you can get a different cam number doesn't really make a lot of sense.

There is a great discussion on the various new Hoyts over on AT by member ontarget7. Might be worth a read if you get a chance, here.

26-Feb-20
Thanks Sticksender did check out AT,the problem the next closest shop is 120 miles away and doesn't have what I want in stock,and I have delt with this guy for 40 years,just cant believe that Hoyt would put out 2 different cams that are that different.He will order what I want if I put a down payment on it.Would just like to find out if there really is that much difference

26-Feb-20
Did he tell you exactly why the 2 cam is junk? Because it sounds to me like he just wants you to buy what he has in stock.

26-Feb-20
Best answer is shoot both and see if you can tell any difference, which IMO is unlikely. There might be a subtle difference in speed performance at the same DL. The 2 different cams accommodate the two different draw length ranges but all cams are the same ZTR cam design. One reason I suggested the AT article is because they discuss using a cam that is out of your DL range, but still getting your desired DL via cabling adjustment. This might be workable since your 29.5" draw is only 1/2" out-of-range. (Ultra #3 cam @ 30"-32", and #2 cam @ 27"-30"). But I suspect that if you try shooting both cams at 30" you might find it's not worth bothering with.

26-Feb-20
Shooting at the upper end of a cam is going to deliver the most efficiency. The #3 cam will typically be smoother than the #2 but Hoyt's #2 cams are normally the fastest all other things being equal. Bottom line....get the bow you like best in whatever cam that fits you and consider another pro shop.

26-Feb-20
FWIW, I bought a 2016 Hoyt Defiant 34 with #2 cam a few years ago off AT and ,after the fact, found that "the #2 cam is known to be very difficult to tune". I do not profess to be good at tuning my bows but it always has been a bit finicky. Not being an engineer, I don't understand why one size cam would have inherent problems when the other sizes wouldn't................. Anyway, that might give you a little history. Maybe the first pro shop guy is still remembering the #2 DFX cam?? Good luck finding the right bow for you but would definitely suggest you shoot both cams to see if you can tell any difference.

27-Feb-20
With your draw length you'll want the 34 inch ultra. As far as the cams I think he wants to move his in stock inventory rather than get a customer what they need/want.

27-Feb-20
Difference in the cams is #2 cam covers 27-30 in. draw , #3 cam covers 30-32 in.draw , there is really no difference in the cams except to accommodate different draw lengths. A#3 cam will be a little bit bigger.

27-Feb-20
Hoyt did have issues with their 2 cams awhile back. Think there was even an updated cam to help with the problems.

At 29.5 draw you’re gonna be happiest with the 34.

28-Feb-20
Thanks for the advice going to shoot the ultra today found a shop its 120 miles away but does have the Axius ultra with the #2 cam

• Sitka Gear