goelk 03-Mar-20
Korey Wolfe 29-Dec-21
Beginner 29-Dec-21
BowJangles 01-Jan-22
Jaquomo 02-Jan-22
Kurt 02-Jan-22
BOWNBIRDHNTR 04-Jan-22
28-Feb-20
As I look outside today I reflect back on the adventures in the NWT mountains with a backpack and a mountain caribou tag in my pocket. After the flight in the super cub to a land on a rocky river bed I was going to get to spend my first night in the NWT after many days wondering what it would be like. As I look back on all the nights I spent there they all blur together somewhat but what I remember most was taking in the view from the time you zip the tent and fall asleep to the sounds of the stream babbling away to the veiw when you open the tent in the morning to take in the day.

28-Feb-20

walleyes's embedded Photo
Day 1
Day 1

28-Feb-20

Hunt day 1. We were given a nice mid August snow
Hunt day 1. We were given a nice mid August snow

28-Feb-20
Was this the day I had dreamed off on the first day? No. But it was a great day to rest the legs and get ready for when the wet broke and the caribou start to move as this snow was going to change things up a bit I was sure and would have the caribou on the move.

28-Feb-20
Will be interesting to see what develops! Hate those early snows even if it gets some animals moving!

28-Feb-20
It took a day for the weather to get to the point we could go for hike and see what we could see. This was great to get out and about and make our way up the drainage. Getting across a few of the stream crossing got interesting fast as the sun hit the slopes. I made the decision to only take my bow along. For me that decision came down to I would be happier with the full adventure than killing the biggest bull I saw. I was confidant in my ability to get a bull and was prepared to not go home with the biggest one I saw. I wanted to enjoy the hunt. We saw a small herd of cows in the bottom while in camp but it wasn’t til we were glassing on the first hunt day that we spotted bulls. Now they were a a couple miles out but one had a white cape and was working on stripping his velvet and seemed like the next level up from the rest of bachelor group. This warranted a closer look.

28-Feb-20
We got out of that country just before that storm hit....I look forward to your story!

28-Feb-20

Here I was looking a definite stunning bull with double shovels and a beautiful white cape that made him stand out amongst his buddies. What a sight.

28-Feb-20
I looked through the spotter longer than I normally would as it was early and I was still in hunt mode. But a plan was formed and off I went. The bulls got up and started to move down into the small spruce trees for some shade. While this was what a Bowhunter wants in terrain for a stalk after managing to move through a few of the smaller bulls lost his location as he was on the move. After gaining some high ground for a vantage and finding most of the group bedded in the trees spread out over the bottom we just stayed put hoping to find him again. I was pretty comfortable in this scenario as it reminded me of mule deer hunting at home. After a few hours at 400 yards and no more sighting we pushed on and found him and another bull feeding in the trees. From 200 yards I dropped my pack and quickly weaved my way through the trees. The ground was covered in moss and I made good time trying to head them off as they feed along. But playing a cross wind as I couldn’t get to far ahead or they would wind me. Well being caribou they decided to just turn around and start feeding back towards me inside a 100 yards. Wow this is going to work out on the first real hunting day.

28-Feb-20
I constantly was clicking the rangefinder as I paralleled them in the trees but he never got closer than 80 yards. Before a rain squal pushed my scent to him and he lift his headed and trotted away the way only caribou do. Well that brought Hunt day 1 to close with a 5 mile hike back to the tent. I was not at all disappointed as one and done was not the way I wanted this hunt to end but the image of that bull haunted me for 3 days before saw other bulls to chase as that guy had moved on completely out of that drainage.

28-Feb-20
Awesome job so far. Keep it coming.

28-Feb-20

With a full camp move under our boots we were situated in a new area to see what we could see. The caribou sightings were getting fewer by the day and the ones we did see were all heading the same way. Up. Looking way back up a feeder drainage there was a herd moving in our direction. And it seemed to have a good bull in it. Watching him move closer I checked him over as we walked though the willows below us. Still in velvet and with a herd of cows and the memory the white caped bull from a few days ago in my head I let him get below me before I could drop in front for a ambush.

28-Feb-20
What that meant was an all out scramble to try and catch him. With a bow in hand this was going to be a tall order to try and not just catch up, but get in front of, don’t bust the rest of the herd, and get my shot before they made it the same place the rest of the caribou from this drainage were going. Up and over. After 5 miles in the rocks and hummocks we managed to get in front as they slowed to cross a creek flat.

28-Feb-20

Hearing them snort their way closer I though I was to have my chance as the first one stepped out in range but he choose the path at 70 yards. Watching the herd go Up and over meant with no other options that would be tomorrow’s plan too as by the time it was back to the tents another beautiful day in the NWT was gone and all that transpired was a long hard caribou hunt. Perfect day!

28-Feb-20

Veiw from the top on travel day.
Veiw from the top on travel day.

28-Feb-20
Stayed close to camp in the fog the next day and watched a few bears and caribou and sheep around but nothing to go after. So camp was again In the backpack with a distant strip in mind. Not far along we start to see into a new feeder drainage and saw a few caribou coming our way. We are now 15 miles from where we last saw the velvet bull cross the creek and here he was again so it didn’t take long to go to full hunt mode this time. With full camp in the backpack the stalk was on. After 2 miles the final stalk was on the only 2 small spruce trees between me and the bull bedded 60 yards away. While I was tempted to just stay put and wait for my shot at the end of my comfortable shooting range I just kept on going to the trees.

28-Feb-20

28-Feb-20
Can’t wait to read more.......have a friend going to the NWT for Mountain Caribou this September. Hopefully it will be his #24.

28-Feb-20

This was my hide at the end of the stalk I had him where I could range his tops at 35 yards back in the short red willows.

28-Feb-20
At this point everything follows the script. He stands up and stretches broadside with no clue a prairie boy is sending a arrow his way. He turns and runs down the mountain with the arrow waving out his side.

28-Feb-20

He ends up out of sight along the river.
He ends up out of sight along the river.

28-Feb-20

With full camp on my back what was weighing on my mind was if the bull was down.
With full camp on my back what was weighing on my mind was if the bull was down.

28-Feb-20

Phew!
Phew!

28-Feb-20

28-Feb-20
Very nice looking bull....

28-Feb-20
With the shadows starting to creep it was time keep moving. With full camp and a down caribou it was time to find place where the super cub could land later and set up camp as close as possible. Luckily we had only 2 miles to go from the caribou to where we could drop camp and go back with empty packs to get the caribou. Given we had seen a few grizz in the area earlier butchering the caribou over the lip in the creek bottom was little sketchy but pretty soon the bull was packed up and ready to go.

28-Feb-20

What it looks like in the foggy darkness with half a caribou and a soggy cape on you back.
What it looks like in the foggy darkness with half a caribou and a soggy cape on you back.

28-Feb-20

Great adventure completed with time around the fire to soak in the beauty of country that only hunters will ever see and experience.

28-Feb-20
That's a fantastic bull, congrats.

What outfitter were you with?

28-Feb-20

I will end it with a classic bowsite boot picture of what my boots looked most mornings. Freeze dried out..
I will end it with a classic bowsite boot picture of what my boots looked most mornings. Freeze dried out..

28-Feb-20
Great bull and a fantastic write up!

Thanks for sharing

28-Feb-20
Sounds like an awesome adventure, walleyes! Congrats on a great trip and a beautiful bull as well!

Sticksender x2^^ ......As a Canadian resident, were you required to go through an outfitter, or were you able to do this trip somewhat DIY?

28-Feb-20
Nice!

28-Feb-20
Thank you . I needed a good hunting story today and this one was fantastic !! Hunt

28-Feb-20
Hell of a bull. Thanks for taking the time to share your story and pics. Well done.

28-Feb-20
Congrats, Looks like a heck of a hunt.

--Jim

28-Feb-20
Wow.... very cool and one great bull. What a great adventure. thanks for sharing...

28-Feb-20
Awesome bull, congrats!! The country is so endless and huge! Kinda like Saskatchewan with big hills. Thanks for a great break from the winter doldrums.

28-Feb-20
What a bull and great story!!

29-Feb-20
Super cool. Great bull too! Thanks for sharing the adventure. Looks like you made a perfect shot.

29-Feb-20
Congratulations on a great hunt and spectacular bull! Thanks for sharing time adventure!

29-Feb-20
Really enjoyed the story and the pictures. Great bull too. Thanks for sharing. Percy

29-Feb-20
Beautiful bull!!!! Congratulations!

29-Feb-20
Awesome!!!

29-Feb-20
Beautiful Trophy, you certainly earned it !

29-Feb-20
Very nice man! Thanks for sharing.

29-Feb-20
Sweet! That's a great bull!

29-Feb-20
Thanks for sharing and congratulations!

01-Mar-20
Excellent. Great bull and great storytelling.

01-Mar-20
Congrats thanks for taking us along.

02-Mar-20
Great job all around! Thanks for posting

02-Mar-20
Thanks for sharing and congrats on a great bull! Nothing like that NWT country, love it up there.

02-Mar-20
Awesome! Congrats!

02-Mar-20
Sweeeeeetness! Congrats for sure!!

02-Mar-20
Fantastic adventure, photo's, you, and thread! CONGRATS!

02-Mar-20
Awesome!!! Mountain caribou is a dream of mine as well!

02-Mar-20
Is that seasoning rub on the meat I see on the stick over the fire...? If so your confidence level must have been high to kill a bou on this trip. Nicely done. my best, Paul

02-Mar-20
@ Paul good eye. you are correct that is a sprinkle of steak spice on the meat. I have used seasoning packs from ramen noodle before but prefer steak spice. That combined with hunger and a veiw and you have one of the best meals you can find. Plus 2 lbs in my belly is 2 less on my back.

02-Mar-20

And when I don’t have enough wood for a fire a flat stone on a pocket rocket and some internal fat and a few backstrap medallions are good too.

03-Mar-20
Thanks for sharing! Congrats!!!

03-Mar-20
Excellent!

03-Mar-20
congrats! Awesome hunt and pics

29-Dec-21
nice

29-Dec-21
fantastic story

01-Jan-22
Great bull, gorgeous views and a killer story. Well done!!

02-Jan-22
I missed this one the first time around. Excellent story and a great bull!

02-Jan-22
Even though it was 1.5 yrs ago its new To me.

Great writing and pics to feel like I’m on the hunt. Man you guys are tough carrying your camps that far while hunting. Of all the pics, the one that really “Puts me in your shoes”. Is the boots pic.

It reminds me of all the remote expeditions of all sorts. Putting on cold, wet and or frozen boots in the tent. That one pic put me there.

02-Jan-22
I reread it and it is even better a couple years later! What an excellent hunt and great looking caribou! Nothing like hunting in the NWT. Amazing you got the second opportunity at the same bull a few days after the first. That bull was destined to be yours!

04-Jan-22
Not sure how I missed this the first time but glad it came back to the top. Great hunt and write up! Hard to beat fresh meat cooked on a flat rock!!

• Sitka Gear