Buffalo1 20-Apr-20
Buffalo1 20-Apr-20
Buffalo1 20-Apr-20
Buffalo1 20-Apr-20
drycreek 20-Apr-20
axethro 20-Apr-20
02-Mar-20

Bushwacker's Link
Here's a short video clip of an Eland bull I passed on while hunting with Pieter Delport and his Eintracht Jagd Safaris. Video was shot just north of Otavi, Namibia. I had the opportunity to take the shot many times, I just kept telling Pieter, my house isn't big enough to hold him.

03-Mar-20
Good decision. If he did not excite you to the point of killing it why kill it. Smart

03-Mar-20
If I ever make it over there, Eland are #1 on my list. They are just so dang big

03-Mar-20
great video. That is the same area my son took his archery eland. They are massive animals and that is a prime bull.

03-Mar-20
They are so dang good eating...period. Beautiful bull. Those oryx weren't too shabby either.

03-Mar-20

AZ~Rich's embedded Photo
AZ~Rich's embedded Photo
Love the eland. Shot placement is pretty critical on those big bulls. I shot mine from a pit blind slightly quartering away entering right in the crease with broad head lodging in the opposite shoulder joint. My PH said he’ll go down in 50 yds, well 10 miles of tracking later he was still on his feet. Obviously hitting one lung is not enough on these beasts; make sure he’s broadside would be my tip.

03-Mar-20
I arrowed a big bull eland in 2014. Shot was about 20 yds, broadside, and entered tight behind the right leg that was a bit forward. Bow was 70 pounds, 450 gr arrow with 125 Slick trick and I got a pass through. He and his two friends ran about 40 yards and disappeared behind some brush. His buddies were seen running further away. He died on a full run after running 50 yards. The skinners showed me his heart, there was a perfect X where the Slick Trick went through. And the hide on the eland was very thin, less thick than a whitetail.

03-Mar-20

yeager's embedded Photo
yeager's embedded Photo
I shot my eland in South Africa, August of 2018. Only went about 60 yards with a well placed shot from my 61# Elite E35 and a 440 grain Easton FMJ tipped with a Rage Hypodermic broadhead. I’ll second trspperkayak, they are absolutely delicious......eland and zebra are my two favorite animals to eat!

04-Mar-20

billc's embedded Photo
billc's embedded Photo
here is a big bull taken at the same area as one in video. They found a 42" dead bull right before we got there was a true giant also.

04-Mar-20

billc's embedded Photo
billc's embedded Photo
taken with a hoyt Pro defiant set up at 62lbs shooting 480 grain fmj with 125 standard slick trick shot at 28 yds complete pass through and eland was dead inside of 100 yds, Can still see my sons legs shaking and the hearing him say. I smoked him dad

04-Mar-20
Bill, I bet he was excited and I certainly don't blame him a bit, he should have been excited. And I know his dad was happy for him. Those all are some great eland bulls that have been posted.

26-Mar-20
Bushwacker - that’s a massive old Eland Bull. His horns are broomed a bit but there’s just no denying that full ruff, dewlap, and faded blue-jeans color. Did his knees make that metal-on-metal sound when he walked?

26-Mar-20
You made the call that worked for you, good deal. I arrowed one in 2014. It was the last of the 18 or so animals I arrowed in three African trips. Interestingly, my eland was down and dead in less than 50 yards. The Slick Trick mag centered his heart.

26-Mar-20
I shot one eland and hit one lung and chased Hume for 28 hrs. Grounded him with 1 shot from a British .303. We pretty special as the first big game rifle I bought was a surplus Brit .303. Sporterized the stock and put a Bushnell scope atop. Many fun hunts with that rifle.

27-Mar-20

scndwfstlhntng's embedded Photo
They are massive. Not only did I decide to pass for lack of space in the house but I was actually concerned that my 55# longbow would not get sufficient penetration. They are intimidating

27-Mar-20

Just standing there. Actually this was taken from the blind and he was a distance away so it was not a shot opportunity (only a photographic one)

30-Mar-20
It wasn't really a hard decision to make. He was over my budget, I couldn't afford to have it mounted, and if I did, no place for it in my home. Beautiful animals and I would love to shoot a cow for it's hide. He actually wanted me to shoot a cow or two for the meat, but there were so many in that herd, we never got a clear shot on the females he had picked out for shooting. We tried, I started to draw a dozen times, only to have another one step in front , or behind, the one he told me to shoot. It's terrible when you have so many animals out in front of you that you can't shoot. HA, yeah right, I loved it. Pieter has plenty of Eland, on several different properties, and I could have shot a couple of nice bulls. And yes, his hooves did 'clack' but with so many animals out at once, it was not as noticeable as it would have been on a quiet still evening. It was windy at that location, rarely had any calm to the winds.

13-Apr-20
Here's an Eland bull I shot in Namibia in 2017. [img]https://i.imgur.com/6RDoa5ph.jpg[/img]

13-Apr-20

Bud Meadows's Link

16-Apr-20
What does one of those things weigh???

17-Apr-20

billc's embedded Photo
billc's embedded Photo
they can range from 1200 to 1800 pounds depending on time of year. They are big animals but so many make the weights more then they are. I have seen 2 big bulls on scales and both were around 1400lbs at the time of the year when they were lighter then normal Ph told me both would have added 200 to 250 lbs going into the rut then lose a lot during the rut. this bull is same one as in video and he would add some lbs after the grass grows back from the drought.

17-Apr-20
Hopefully billc is going to get to weigh that bull above after he puts an arrow in him, if they'll open the world back up by June. Go get him Bill!!

17-Apr-20
LOL dee I hope I leave july 7th and get to Pieter july 20th after hunting natal. That bull would for sure get an arrow coming his way.

19-Apr-20

hybridbowman's embedded Photo
I like eland meet and trophy I was fortunate to kill 5 : 2 big bulls ( one walk and stalk) ) 2 cow and a young management bull (stalking)

19-Apr-20

19-Apr-20

Ho I missed another cow killed out of the blind !! Lol

19-Apr-20
Hybrid, looks like you’ve been having quite a bit of fun. Where did you take the Livingstone?

19-Apr-20

Buffalo1's embedded Photo
This was a nice mature bull

19-Apr-20

This is a Roosevelt Eland- well over 2000# ! Photo is very distorted because I took photo at almost dark with my cell phone. But, I think you can get “the picture” of just how big elands are in size.

19-Apr-20
Not meaning to be a pest but as far as I know there is no Roosevelt Eland. Over the past few years I’ve noticed a whole bunch of new “unofficial” African Species being touted.

My guess is these are names being given by RSA Breeders who’ve developed a new color phase of an existing species - like King Wildebeest, etc.

SCI recognizes the following African Eland Species = Central African Giant Eland (or Lord Derby); and the 3x species of Common Eland = Cape Eland; East African Eland (or Patterson’s Eland); and Livingstone Eland.

19-Apr-20
Spiral,

Isn’t the Livingston the largest of all the eland species?

I’ve got a better daylight photo of the animal, but cannot find it. Will keep searching. Got about 20K photos.

19-Apr-20
I think I stand corrected, it is a Livingston species and not a Roosevelt. The Lord Derby, I think is the largest of the species. Correct ?

19-Apr-20
Cannot tell for certain with the distorted and dark image, but it looks like either a Livingstone or a Cape - the former would be my guess by the markings on the legs (but they could be just shadows). In either case it’s a huge old bull with a dark hide and heavy ruff. A trophy for sure.

Yes, the Lord Derby from Central Africa is the largest.

20-Apr-20
My aging, feeble mind is recalling the hunt and it is definitely a Livingston species.

20-Apr-20

Neck size is XXXXL !

20-Apr-20

Broadside view

20-Apr-20

Another view. His head is almost the size of the warthog.

Note the Livingston differs as it is much larger than the cape species and it has side stripes.

20-Apr-20
Those are some nice eland bulls ! I can’t imagine the size of those suckers.......

20-Apr-20
Very nice Eland. They look huge

• Sitka Gear