Two Feathers 09-Mar-20
Rut Nut 09-Mar-20
Missouribreaks 09-Mar-20
Russ Koon 09-Mar-20
BOHUNTER09 10-Mar-20
LBshooter 10-Mar-20
06-Mar-20

Rut Nut's Link
Anybody know what this guy is hunting with?!

06-Mar-20
(scroll down after you click the link)

06-Mar-20
I’d call it a vertical arrow gun.

06-Mar-20
I think it's a Crissbow. hahaha

06-Mar-20
It is made by draw-loc. It is called a vertical crossbow. It is like a crossbow except you can still get wrist slap :)

06-Mar-20
Thanks Ken. Thought I had seen everything...………………………………...apparently NOT! ;-)

BTW, isn't "vertical crossbow" kind of an OXYMORON?! : )

06-Mar-20
Whatever it is it has to be good, it has a gold trigger.

06-Mar-20
vertical crossbow. It's the future of "bowhunting". lol

06-Mar-20
Just another version of the scoped and cocked crossbow. I would be more satisfied bow and arrow hunting, but that is just me.

06-Mar-20
Next generation compound a few tweaks to G & F regs and in five years all mfg will have a model available .

06-Mar-20
I am sure NRA fully supports it in your regular archery season.

06-Mar-20
The gold trigger is for scent control, I think......

06-Mar-20
I don't understand why this is so outlandish to some of you? I think it's pretty cool if you are into the auto lock kinda bow. Why not right?

06-Mar-20
Should do one half way from vertical/horizontal; for those that like to cant their bow.

06-Mar-20
Why not just use a "traditional" crossbow? Don't see the need for a "vertical" crossbow...……………...

06-Mar-20
Traditional crossbow hunters all over the country are violently protesting the increasing popularity of this “non-traditional” crossbow, and how it is certain to threaten their season bag limits, their sport’s reputation and the culture and identity of everything they hold near and dear about nature and the great outdoors. My God, where are we headed next?

06-Mar-20
What is a traditional crossbow hunter? Cams, scopes and pullies?

06-Mar-20
Some of us are in the position of having increasing problems with the drawing and holding of conventional bows. That's much of the reason for the popularity of the crossbow as an alternative even for those who would really prefer to continue with their familiar compounds, or even trad bows, when age or injury dictates a change being needed.

Most who face the choice either get a crossbow or quit bowhunting.

I tried a crossbow, actually bought three of them while seeking one I liked well enough to make the switch, but was able to practice enough to regain enough of my former strength and control to resume hunting with the compound until last year, when a full spring and summer of practicing several hours a week still left me just at the edge of regaining an ethical draw weight and ability to hold for a clean release., and when the cooler weather came along, that nailed the lid on my bowhunting for the year.

I had bought a crossbow again the year before, and finally began practicing with it when I could simply not draw my compound in even moderately cool weather. The crossbow was accurate, but I just couldn't warm up to it as a real substitute for my bow, and I particularly disliked the noise level.

I looked for other alternatives and found the maker of the one this fella is using, Hickory Creek. They also make conversion kits to add their draw-lock feature to the regular bow of your choice, which appealed most to me because I would then have the ability to draw with both arms, back at my full draw weight the bow was capable of, and probably hold on target to make a responsible hunting shot again, maybe using an aide to add support for the bow arm like s shooting stick.

Seemed like about as close as I would be able to come to continuing to bowhunt, but as I was about to order a conversion kit, the idea came to me that I might even come up with a DIY device that I'd like a little better, and I'm working on that now. It will be similar in use to the draw-lock kit, but without incorporating their trigger assembly.

I think the one in the video above is the complete 'vertical crossbow' from Hickory Creek, and is shorter in ATA than conventional bows and is available in considerably higher draw weights. The conversion kits would allow a guy to use his own favorite existing bow, and my version would allow me to also use my own release as well, just adding the ability to draw the full 70 # weight that I did for over fifty years, and hold it at almost full draw until the game is approaching.

I know, some will be using these devices out of laziness, but some of us have fought the battles against the age or injuries that have taken many of our old hunting partners out of the game and have slowly lost that battle. When the choice was between using our regular gear and an x-bow, we chose our regular gear, too. When it becomes a choice between using an x-bow (or something that provides some of the same benefits) and staying home on the couch, some of us are choosing the devices that allow us to get back out there.

As for the choice between the x-bows and one or another of these conversion devices that use the original bow with a draw locking addition....the device wouldn't be adding the accuracy or range that the x-bow does, but solves the noise problem of the x-bows that has the game sometimes ducking the string at thirty yards or more. They're more of an in-between option for the guy whose draw arm strength and/or bow arm stability is pretty much gone, but who can still handle the release and the draw weight at the reduced level at full let-off.

Not as good as turning back the clock fifteen years or so, but it beats sitting on the porch until gun season.

06-Mar-20
It seems to me, in states where legal for all, a large percentage of the " youth hunters " are starting out with scoped and cocked crossbows as their primary weapon.

I believe most hunters agree scoped and cocked crossbows have their place with advancing seniors, and those with physical limitations.

06-Mar-20
ground hunter, not hard to understand at all, and I shared the same opinion throughout most of the years when we were fighting their inclusion for all.

I still held that position as being the correct one, but by the time they were included here I had also encountered a few guys carrying them in the woods and heard some of their excuses, which mostly sounded like baloney, and I realized that the "doctor's note" was really not a workable solution to the problem, as it would be misused at will like so many other well-intended regulations, and would simply be another hindrance to honest that didn't affect the dishonest. At that point it seemed to be a fight no longer worth fighting.

I know the full inclusion has hurt our numbers of "real" bowhunters, but there have also been some who have begun archery hunting now with x-bows and switched to compounds because they are lighter and easier to carry, and the young hunters are still the ones who like to walk all day and wear out their boots, like most of us did those first several years. The added challenge of "doing it the hard way" has also drawn some from those who have started out with x-bows, just as we've had some guys start with compounds and sights and take up trad gear after years of hunting, for the challenge.

And there's the fact that the additional numbers of people in our season does help to retain the seasons that were being nibbled on by the gun hunting majority constantly.

There's usually some silver lining to almost any dark cloud. I don't think the full inclusion has been the disaster some if us had expected. Still would have been better if it could have been really restricted to those with legitimate needs, but realistically, maybe as good as could be expected.

06-Mar-20
There are a few who started with a compound and switched to stickbow…. just as a few will start with a scoped and cocked crossbow only to regress later to a compound. This does happen, but it is a very, very small percentage.

06-Mar-20
May as well use the 12 gauge, that is if he isnt hunting in a development.

06-Mar-20
Nut,,, That is a device that make hunting much easier. You don't have to practice much, you can shoot further, your game won't see you draw back, you can have it up and on your shooting sticks and long before they get into range and lastly if your game see you move you can hold it for a lot, lot longer.

06-Mar-20
I think we need a new forum called “The Horizontal Wall”.

06-Mar-20
This is only my opinion, but if it were not for crossbows I think a lot of kids would never even hunt in archery seasons and some adults also. I know of one, my best friend, who would never have hunted with a vertical bow, but in order to hunt antelope with me and another friend, bought a crossbow and has taken two antelope with it. Now, depending on your point of view, that’s either a good thing or a bad thing. To me, it doesn’t matter what tool you use, as long as it’s legal, because I don’t have the mindset that the season belongs to me or whatever method I’m using. I like handguns more than bows, rifles, or shotguns, always have, but I have to wait for general season to hunt deer with them. I’ve been robbed !

06-Mar-20
" As long as it is legal ". I wonder what will be the next thing legal during archery seasons...?

06-Mar-20
I hope it's something much cooler than a vérticle crossbow. That's really kind of boring

06-Mar-20
All I'm getting is a link to turkey decoys

07-Mar-20
I think crossbows also have a perfect place for those youth hunters that misery is complaining about, if a youth wants to hunt with us but isn’t big enough or strong enough yet I’m good with that kid hunting “our” season with a crossbow.

07-Mar-20
Yep, another good application for the "contraptions" as well as the x-bows.

08-Mar-20
It’s what the “big tent” talk will get you

09-Mar-20
Following this thread with great interest. I’m one of the original Bowsiters since 1996 and two months ago destroyed my left shoulder. Always told myself I’d crossgun hunt someday if I had no alternative. But can’t bring myself to do it. Hate them more than ever due to their legislative shortcuts into the archery seasons. Seeking options.

09-Mar-20
IDK but it gives me Vertibow just looking at it.

09-Mar-20
A transgender crossbow??

09-Mar-20

Rut Nut's embedded Photo
Rut Nut's embedded Photo
Sorry- didn't mean to start a debate. Just never saw one of these things before.

09-Mar-20
It should get the job done with ease.

09-Mar-20
Zim, you can see further info on the one shown and the other products from the same manufacturer, Jerry Goff, by googling either his name or Hickory Creek Archery. He;s been in the business for quite some time but the market is a small one and the competition is a lot of large companies pumping out crossbows, some of which also offer 400+ fps.

10-Mar-20
This used to be illegal in Illinois. Not sure now that crossbow is legal

10-Mar-20
Simple, vertical xbow, like the turkey decoy, love the movement.

• Sitka Gear