Dale06 06-Mar-20
drycreek 06-Mar-20
Trophyhill 06-Mar-20
JohnMC 06-Mar-20
walleyehunter02 10-Mar-20
BULELK1 11-Mar-20
SteveB 11-Mar-20
06-Mar-20
Was going to try for a long write up, but it keeps escaping me. So here are a few brief tif bits, a few pictures, and a so so video I threw together of pictures and short video clips we gathered on our 2019 New Mexico elk hunt.

Dad has always had a bucket list objective to take and elk with his bow. In his mid 50’s we started by applying in New Mexico and when not drawing, we’d hunt Colorado. We did Colorado Archery twice. Both times presented close encounters that the wind or my calling went south and things didn’t work out.

My wife picked a wedding date for 2019, we applied for New Mexico, and wouldn’t ya know (my bad attention to detail) the wedding was the day before season started and sure enough we got drawn. She agreed we wouldn’t go on a honey moon and suggested I go on a “elk hunting moon”. So after our reception, I kissed her goodbye and my day, my brother, and I headed south for a 19 hour drive at 1 am. This is the second season Archery hunt. We missed the first day because of travel but as we set up our tent in the dark of the second day, we could hear bulls bugling! The first couple days were slow, but we would hear random bugles throughout the day.

06-Mar-20
I believe day 4 had dad with a sore foot causing him to want to soak it in camp mid day. My brother and I went off on an exploration hike. That afternoon we were heading towards or evening spot when we ran into dad up on the hill saying he just stuck a small bull. After a wait and some tricky blood trailing. This is what we walked up to. The smaller of the 2 bulls.

06-Mar-20

Walleyehunter02's embedded Photo

06-Mar-20

06-Mar-20

06-Mar-20
I’m looking for the video

06-Mar-20
Turns out. While we were off hiking and he was soaking his foot. 2 bulls kept ripping off up the hill. After an hour, dad couldn’t take it anymore and headed up after them. He got within 100 yards with the wind right and waited them out. The smaller bull that he shot had cows and the bigger bull up the hill did not. Eventually the bigger bull had enough and cane charging down scattering the herd and dad made his move to get closer. He set up and the cows started filtering by and his bull came by at 24 yards offering him a broadside shot.

06-Mar-20
Shaping up to be a great story!

Congratulations to your Dad on drawing first blood!

Congratulations on finding a wonderful woman to put up with your obsession;-)

06-Mar-20
We hunted hard the rest off the week and had a great time. I had a few close calls on cows, but just couldn’t seal the deal. The wildlife was a plentiful and the scenery was beautiful. We even had a few run in with predators and their sign was abundant.

I’m sure I’m missing plenty of stuff I wanted to add.

06-Mar-20
https://youtu.be/Cc36fvMrocw

Here is my attempt at sharing the video.

Thanks for reading and or watching the video!

If I recall any other tid bits. I will add them in.

06-Mar-20

We did hear elk 7 out of the 9 nights we were there right from the tent.

06-Mar-20

Walleyehunter02's Link

06-Mar-20
Video link in last message.

We also met some great people while we were there. One who may chime in here if he notices.

06-Mar-20
The last evening. I ended up between 5-6 bulls bugling. They hadn’t responded to my calling all week. So I went silent and worked my way closer. It just wasn’t meant to be. I made every mistake and move at the wrong time. At once as the sun was setting. I was so focused on the bull in front of me. I didn’t notice the one walking in over my right shoulder at 50 yards until he was running away...

It was still a blast and dad made the trip go from successful to next level!

06-Mar-20

06-Mar-20
What a nice Heavy bull. Thanks for the post.

06-Mar-20
Awesome congrats to you and your Dad! Great video

06-Mar-20
Great story, and congrats to your dad.

06-Mar-20
Congrats to your dad, and he’s lucky he has a couple of good, strong sons to help him out.

06-Mar-20
Awesome!

06-Mar-20
Sounds like a great hunt. Also you found a keeper being ok with you leaving your wedding to go hunting for a week.

10-Mar-20
Thanks elkmtngear for the assist! And all others for the nice comments! and yeah, the wifes a keeper too ;)

11-Mar-20
Heck yeah!

Congrats for sure,

Robb

11-Mar-20
Great trip and great memories!!

• Sitka Gear