Tonybear61 08-Mar-20
Tlhbow 08-Mar-20
Shug 08-Mar-20
Bowboy 08-Mar-20
APauls 08-Mar-20
Tilzbow 09-Mar-20
Paul@thefort 09-Mar-20
07-Mar-20
I shoot a slow compound with a good weight arrow 230 FPS 475 gr arrow.

When the wind gusts 15 or more mph I regularly get some kick to my flight. The arrow still hits where I’m shooting but I’m curious if you guys with different set ups get the same reactions or could this be “ tuned” out?

07-Mar-20
Wind sucks. A 4mm arrow will help.

07-Mar-20
I actually shoot a FMJ 5 mm 3 5” feathers

07-Mar-20
The arrow hits where you are shooting. That is the goal with every shot. Sounds to me like you don’t have a problem. You can’t control the weather.

07-Mar-20
The problem is holding the bow steady in the wind. To me that is the most relevant factor.

07-Mar-20
Skinny arrows and small fletch will help in the wind. I’ve had some arrows setups that were hardly moved by wind

07-Mar-20
Shoot same direction as wind blows = no issues :)

07-Mar-20
Heavy cross wind sucks but I find it effects my shot more before release than after. That’s not at all to say it doesn’t effect arrow flight it’s just not as bad as my pin float before release

08-Mar-20
I stuff my carbon shafts with weed whip string to bump up to 525 grains or better. Wind seems to have less effect, more momentum due to increased mass keeps them on target during shot and upon contact.

08-Mar-20
I live in the plains so deal with wind while practicing most of the time. Arrow is around 15/17% foc with 3 5/8" feathers weighing around 480gr. Shooting across wind the impact is ok out to 25 yards or so but back is pushed over some Don't have a problem hunting in strong wind but in heavy cover short shorts. My arrow is around 155/160 fps.

08-Mar-20
Thanks guys

08-Mar-20
Randy Ulmer shoots AAE Pro Max vanes. He shoots it in 4 Flectch and states it helps in windy conditions.

I live in WY and we get lots of wind. If it's real windy I can shoot pretty good to 30 or 35. What helps me it shoot on my knees if possible. My set-up is 5mm Axis with AAE Max Stealth vanes 3 fletch. They weigh 435 grains and buck the wind pretty well. Practicing in the wind helps knowing where your arrow will hit.

08-Mar-20
Wind drift isn’t as bad as you’d think. I find my arrow flight is better with fixed heads in the wind though because the wind hits the front and back of the arrow together. With mech heads it kicks more which I don’t like for impact penetration

09-Mar-20
Wind drift shouldn’t be an issue with field points but fixed blade broadheads are another matter altogether.

09-Mar-20
if too windy, take off the bow quiver with arrows from the bow, as the quiver acts like a sail, making for an unstable bow shot.

• Sitka Gear