BigSkyHntr 09-Mar-20
Powder 09-Mar-20
Jaquomo 09-Mar-20
Ucsdryder 09-Mar-20
drycreek 09-Mar-20
Inshart 09-Mar-20
Mule Power 10-Mar-20
09-Mar-20
I have a gift card I need to use up and I was thinking of getting a pair of the Walkers Game Ears...the ones that look like muffs, not the ones that go in your ears like hearing aids.

Does anyone have any experience with these? Pros? Cons?

09-Mar-20
I use Howard Leight ear muffs. Basically the same as Walkers Game Ears, just a different brand. I use them for duck hunting. They work great in a duck blind, we can still hear birds and each other but are protected from shotgun blasts.

09-Mar-20
Willie, not to hijack the thread, but there are really people who want/need a guide to shoot prairie dogs?

Are you a backup shooter in case a wounded one goes rogue and charges one of your sports? ;-)

09-Mar-20
I have both the ones that are like conventional shooting muffs as well as the ones that are placed in the ear like hearing aids. I have pretty severe high frequency hearing loss and try to preserve what hearing I have left. I ALWAYS wear hearing protection when shooting a gun. I also wear hearing aids. The Walkers muffs are absolutely great. They serve me just as well as hearing aids do. I can be in an indoor firing range with no adverse effects but hear every word spoken by those around me.

The ones you insert in your ears like a hearing aid have not impressed me in the least. Pretty much worthless in my opinion.

09-Mar-20
My sons father-in law has each. He prefers the muffs when coaching, observing but, he cannot wear them while shooting(trap). He has to wear the hearing-aid style while shooting.

09-Mar-20
Make sure you practice with them on. You don't want any surprises in the field.

09-Mar-20
I have both the muffs and the ones you insert. Love the muffs especially when shooting around other people and want to hold a conversation. Loved the idea of the insert type and they do work well but a real PIA to the point I seldom use them.

09-Mar-20
I got a pair for my son... Work well and it's great for him to able to hear my instructions ...I think they make a slimmer version that doesn't interfere with a good cheek weld...

09-Mar-20
Is this hunt under $30,000? ;)

09-Mar-20

Overland's embedded Photo
Overland's embedded Photo
If you're ok spending a bit more, I strongly recommend the MSA Sordin Supreme Pro X. They're a good bit more expensive than the Walkers but they function much better. I wear them 100% of the time while waterfowling. They are comfortable to wear for hours at a time, they don't pick up the wind, and I can still run a duck call while wearing them. I've had mine for several years and have had zero issues with them. Battery life is excellent.

09-Mar-20
Td, thanks but I’ll pry go the DIY route for now :)

09-Mar-20
I'll have to check those out. The question for me will be if the store I have the gift cards for carries them. I know they carry the Walker's. Thanks for throwing these out there.

09-Mar-20
Ok, fair enough. I guess people will pay for a guided trip to the crapper these days if they need to go bad enough. Glad you've found a niche for that!

09-Mar-20
Go with the Howard leights over the walkers.

09-Mar-20
I imagine the pd shooters are paying more for the access than the guide. PD culling is lots of fun, but access is key. I’ve been fortunate enough in the past to be able to archery hunt pronghorn on a place and then spend a day in a PD town on the same ranch. Sometimes it was a race to see who downed his goat first so he could go shoot PDs ! That was my excuse for shooting a less than stellar goat anyway.........:-)

09-Mar-20
I have both of the Walkers, in-ear and muffs.

The in-ear seem to pick up wind noise more, but are less cumbersome while hunting.

The muffs are easier to displace "in the heat of the minute" - geese coming in and you have to keep low and then raise up to shoot, they seem to move around more and I've hit the gun stock against the muffs.

Both are great (about equal) for conversation and shooting.

10-Mar-20
Includes a 6-8 hour seminar on diy gopher hunting?

I’ve used the Walker Game Ear. They’re nice. You can hear deer coming a long way off too. If you shoot guns at a range they’re nice because you don’t have ti keep taking them on and iff to hear people talk between shots.

• Sitka Gear