lawdy 04-Apr-20
RK 04-Apr-20
lawdy 04-Apr-20
6-GOLD 05-Apr-20
spike buck 05-Apr-20
spike buck 06-Apr-20
Russell 06-Apr-20
16-Mar-20
Apparently the Canadian border is closing for all but Canadian citizens. Not that bear hunting is all that important but one can certainly hope things are sufficiently sorted out by May to allow spring hunts to go on.

16-Mar-20
The move included a notable exception: U.S. citizens would still be permitted to cross into Canada.

"For the moment, that measure does not apply to U.S. citizens," Trudeau told reporters in Ottawa.

16-Mar-20
I second what cnelk just said. ITS OPEN!!! So much misinformation going around!!! Canada's health Minister says that closing the Canadian Border to the US will be highly ineffective!!!

16-Mar-20
Canadian border is NOT closed to passage of US citizens at this time. That is not really realistic as the US is Canada's largest trading partner. I need to travel over 1700 miles to get to my border crossing and am more concerned about closed food services and being able to obtain needed necessities. Time will tell!

16-Mar-20
Hope it stays open to US citizens.

16-Mar-20
I crossed back into BC last night ( truck and travel trailer) and it was pretty casual. Might be different at some of the very busy ports between large centres.

17-Mar-20
You are supposed to Self Quarantine if you cross the border. Also it said all international flights (I assume from the US to Canada is included) are supposed to go through one of 4 airports in Canada?

17-Mar-20
Border is open to US citizens. Trudeau stated that with extreme clarity in his address. Flights are also happening M-F from Edmonton to Kugluktuk yet my Musk Ox outfitter says they’re 99% going to cancel my hunt. I’m supposed to leave Sunday am.

I get that there’s a virus going around but canceling out of a concern for safety while actively shuttling folks up there 5x a week from an area with the virus makes no sense. On top of that he mentioned there being a fee getting attached if it gets moved to next year.

Well I slept on it last night and it doesn’t sit well with me. If I’m able to get into the hunting area while following all established protocols yet the outfitter doesn’t want to take me why should I have to pony up more cash next year? I’m having a hard time seeing his side of this.

Any of you guys ever dealt with something along these lines?

17-Mar-20
who is the outfitter.

is yours the first of the year

17-Mar-20
Ameri-Cana out of Edmonton.

Our hunt isn’t the first group of the year and he didn’t mention if they went or not.

17-Mar-20
I would ask for 100% of my money back if they want to raise the price.

17-Mar-20
I agree!

They just need to have us up there. No rules are being broken and the daily shuttles are still happening. Keeping our hunting party out of town isn’t going to keep them any safer.

17-Mar-20
What a bummer! I hope you get to go. Keep us posted.

17-Mar-20
A lot of the Indian reserves are locking themselves down and keeping outsiders out, in Canada. Probably nothing you can do about being blocked from their town, but your outfitter should be giving a full and immediate refund. The Canadian government is putting finances in place for businesses impacted by the Covid-19. No doubt a few will be double dipping by keeping some from consumers and billing the government for loses.

America-Cana should either supply the hunt as contracted or give a full and immediate refund.

17-Mar-20
He should honour his commitment to u guys if he don’t he should send all moneys back to u. Charging an extra fee for next years hunt it’s not hard to figure out what your dealing with. Wish u the best.

17-Mar-20
…..and if you are not satisfied with their course of action.....consider an outfitter review.

17-Mar-20
If you think there’s a chance the outfitter is being indemnified by the CA government for his losses due to the virus, plus he’s keeping clients money and charging extra re-booking fees on top, I’d consider filing a complaint with the province. I’m certainly not saying that he is, but if the guy is “double-dipping”, and taking financial advantage of this public health crisis, the authorities need to be made aware.

17-Mar-20
I spoke with my bear outfitter, Sleeve Lake. No problems whatsoever! Holding off on sending the rest until we know. I cannot elect a 14 day self quarantine on the way back in at that time. If we have to we will carry it over until next year.

It is a pleasure dealing with a reputable outfitter. Thank you Evan! GL to all others, be well!

17-Mar-20
That comment can be mirrored with my bear guy. He sent me a pic of my receipt showing I paid in full along with a message that said “If the virus stuff scrubs our hunt this year you’re schedule for the same week next year.”

StickFlingers. Top shelf folks with stellar hunting to boot.

17-Mar-20
A buddy and I are to hunt with Evan at Sleeve Lake this past Sunday. He told us the same as Habitat above. And it is a pleasure dealing with a reputable outfitter!

17-Mar-20
Is Ameri-cana an outfitter or a booking agent or both

Looking at their website they look like an agent

17-Mar-20
The Canadian government has been saying for days that they will be "helping out businesses and everyone else" because of the coronavirus. It's been days since the announcement, and no details of any kind. So I don't blame someone for not knowing. Also, knowing who is leading our country I am doubtful as to this coming aid. I am moving ahead in business and trying to work with suppliers to stimulate sales organically. I certainly am not banking on the government bailing me out. That's a road destined for failure.

17-Mar-20
They are a booking agent.

17-Mar-20
The problem for most polar bear or muskox hunters, is that the Inuit Nation alliance (or tribunal council, or whatever it is called) may not follow the exact same recommendations as those put forth by the Canadian gov't.....nor are they bound by the same generally accepted business practices.

17-Mar-20
The real problem also, is 'false' information being spread...

17-Mar-20
I very seldom post much, but couldn't help myself here. There is not a more reputable, honest, fair outfitter/booking agent than Ameri-Cana and the Frederick's. NO ONE will take better care of you on a hunt, no matter what happens, that Dan Frederick. I have never seen an outfitter/booking agent take a "higher road" than those guys. Ask me how I know. Frank Noska

17-Mar-20
Native Bands (and Natives in general) are untouchable in Canada. You’ll have to squeeze your agent for the refund. You may also want to do some google work and find out who the actual hunt provider is and contact the hunt manager personally.

EDIT to add: the above is a pretty strong endorsement.

17-Mar-20
Frank, Dan is doing everything he can to work out a way for everyone to get their hunt. As Jake said we are at the mercy of the Inuit's.

I talked to Dan again this morning. The Inuit's said they don't want outsiders in town so the hunt will likely be postponed till later in the season. We haven't discussed the logistics of moving the hunt to next year in any detail. I did ask about it yesterday and he mentioned a fee. That being said after our convo this morning it's clear that we're in uncharted territory and his mention of a fee was a supposition.

This situation is so outside of the norm I don't think the guides are sure of exactly how to proceed. I will say that Dan has been a pleasure to work with and that he's going to do everything in his power to work this out for all the hunters involved. I'll know more either Thursday or Friday. Until then I'll try not to "work myself into a lather" which I seem to do pretty well. lol

17-Mar-20
As an outfitter here in Canada, I am looking forward to hunting this spring. As long as the border is still open for Americans It is full steam ahead. I know when the green light is given I will be headed out on my own vacation which has been postponed due to to country closures. I would recommend to everyone talk to your outfitter and their story.

17-Mar-20

JohnMC's Link
US and Canada preparing to suspend non-essential travel between the two countries. See link.

18-Mar-20
O-M-G

18-Mar-20
Our logs still make it over the border. They check you out with a dozen health questions going both ways. We still cross with the fire trucks, but that is safety. I ran my beagle near the border yesterday and never ran into anyone on the logging road. Pretty quiet up here. I like it.

18-Mar-20
Just got word that the border will be closing.... Northern Ontario Outfitters Association... they are forwarning us!! Except essential supplies...

18-Mar-20
Think what Canada was close the loop for Euro's who flying to Canada and then crossing border into USA. They were back-dooring into the USA. Canada and US figgered that out fairly fast.

The big problem is when the China Virus gets into the big cities of Mexico and it will.

K~

18-Mar-20
TRUMP JUST ANNOUNCED THE CLOSING OF THE BORDER!!! 8:30am.... temporary closure no details.

18-Mar-20
It will be interesting to see how they treat hunting. The tribal stuff will for sure shut down. Who knows with private contractors

18-Mar-20
I'm sure hunting will be seen as "recreational" and therefore "Non-essential."

18-Mar-20
Last week I bought all my spring tags and applied to several hunts ! Oh well I guess I made a big donation to several DNR's this year.

18-Mar-20
Trump just closed the US-Canada border.

18-Mar-20
Hopefully not for long

18-Mar-20
I'm just hoping I don't get bent over by my booking agent/outfitter.

18-Mar-20
I wouldn't count on it! They say this won't peak in the US for another 45 days or so. SO I am thinking the measures put in place now will probably be for 90 days. They will want to continue these measures until well past the "peak".

18-Mar-20
clearly bear hunting is essential.... We're going to the grocery store remember!

18-Mar-20
Bear Hunts are trade- US dollars for Canadian fur!

18-Mar-20
Time to call my outfitter I guess. Was booked for Ontario the week of 5/23. Damn it!

18-Mar-20
Time to call your outfitter yes.... I have 3 groups already pick an alternate date for Fall if spring does not pan out. ONLY OPTION as I have great Fall hunts!!!

18-Mar-20
As a Canadian I'm looking forward to spring, but sure will affect the outfitters hard. Could likely book a decent priced hunt in Canada right now but I'd imagine most outfitters wont put the time into running a camp this spring with so many unkowns.

I work on the border, things are going to be interesting here for a bit!!

18-Mar-20
Another thing to keep in mind.... will all provinces DNR, OMNR etc have all needed paper work for spring hunters ready and sent out to outfitters??? Are they even working right now?? We'll find out!!

18-Mar-20
Have told my clients they can come in Fall 2020 or Spring 2021. Fall hunting has been excellent the past 2 seasons but I do personally prefer the Spring hides. Nice thing about Fall is option for waterfowl hunts also. My bait is all ready, equipment tuned up and I’m ready to roll when all the crap is over. Life throws lotsa curveballs gotta choke up a bit and keep swingin’!

18-Mar-20
This is a major bummer for alot of reasons and folks. I hope a resolution isn't too far off for folks on both sides of the border. The only tag I put in for was another MT antelope tag. I'll do another DIY hunt but I hope the in-state guided hunts don't have problems for those folks who went with outfitters..

18-Mar-20
Some of the unknown will clear up. Then hopefully the panic will dissipate. Bear hunting is essential for me and tourism is essential for my outfitter.

18-Mar-20
Sure hope the borders reopen in the next two months. There's a lot of traffic heading to Alaska for the summer, I'd be in one.

18-Mar-20
I have gigs booked in Newfy this summer, if I can even get there.

18-Mar-20
Lawdy, just gargle with Screech and you’re good to go!

18-Mar-20
3/18/2020 BORDER CLOSED AS OF TODAY.

18-Mar-20
I have a brown bear hunt in Alaska at the end of April. It wouldn’t surprise me if flight were halted domestically for a period of time. We will see.

18-Mar-20
Can’t believe I’d miss Manitoba this spring. It would be the first time for many years. We’ll see what happens.

18-Mar-20
So, the way I am working out the issue is each group will have 2 dates to work with. The date booked in spring and an alternate date for August or September. So far all hunters I have so far contacted are fine with this plan. If border opens on time for Spring hunt, they get their original booked date. If not they come the alternate date.

WE do a fine Fall hunt and know we can produce bears at our sites for the hunters. Hopefully the border opens on time. We will start baiting as bush opens up to travel without rutting roads up. But that is my plan... still a few to talk to.

Wish all Spring Bear Outfitters a successful year and hope it all works out for everyone. Chris.

18-Mar-20
Ambush, I drink screech and I am going there alright......on my hands and knees. The last time I was really drunk was playing music at the Port Club in Port au Basque. That was in the seventies on my first trip there and the Newfies screeched me. Nasty stuff, but I had a great time, at least what I remember of it. I still have a beer or wine occasionally but that is it. I used to figure that if one glass of wine is good for you, imagine what the whole bottle can do. No more.

18-Mar-20
just got an email back from our outfitter and he is very uncertain as to what may happen. was all set for the spring season so just in a waiting state right now.

19-Mar-20
Only 3 days ago I have responded to a comment that t both countries would be on a lockdown, in a very short time, some of you thought I was crazy, maybe I’m not so crazy after all, is only Common sense if you have followed what happening in Europe

19-Mar-20
Skull being right and crazy are not necessarily mutually exclusive conditions lol

19-Mar-20
Just curious......…………………………………….when are the first Spring Bear hunt dates?

19-Mar-20
The first group of guys going up to hunt white bears are supposed to be in the air right now.....

19-Mar-20
Rut...we are/were scheduled for in camp the very last weekend of May and into June.

19-Mar-20
Hey Bowsiters, we all know how tough a situation this is for everyone, so try and be sympathetic. I know it’s not easy if you have a few thousand dollar deposit with a Canadian outfitter at risk right now, I totally understand that. But from an Outfitter perspective your Outfitter isn’t just sitting on a pile of cash where he can just start issuing 100% refund checks or even just move all deposits to another year, and then live on nothing, support his family, pay his bills for the next year or more? Who knows how long this will go on for?

The good outfitters are fully dedicated to their profession, have money tied up in assets that allow them to run their hunts properly. They have no side job for income and no new jobs are available right now. And to think the government is going to just be handing them compensation checks and they are laughing their way to the bank with some sort of double dipping is crazy.

Yes as the hunter you have a deposit at risk, maybe your job too, but as a Canadian Outfitter many of us may have our whole livelihood at risk. The hard working outfitter is not the evil, wealthy guy that everyone needs to pounce on.

The situation changes frequently too, I have a client in Japan who says things are already getting better. Hopefully that comes our way too for everyone’s sake.

Thanks guys!

19-Mar-20
Well put Mike. Thanks for putting things in perspective. All the best to you and your family during these tough times.

19-Mar-20
I could see the bear outfitters in a small fix if they spent a bunch of customer deposit money on bait/supplies/gear/prep and now this happens. I do hope most of the hunters will understand.

Any benefit for the outfitters (and lucky hunters) to hold some Bowsite raffles/auctions for bear/deer/moose hunts at a future date???

19-Mar-20
Very well said Mike. There is so much money spent up front before the season even starts. I just really hope that this hiccup will not put some outfitters out of business as it will take a couple years if not many years to recoup from this all. Best of luck to the hunters, guides and outfitters this season.

19-Mar-20
Why not just switch to a Fall hunt... very successful, berries or not. Good hides hungry bears.

19-Mar-20

JL's Link
Prez Trump mentioned this in the article....take it for what it's worth....

"Trump has said the Canada-US border would likely be reopened in "say 30 days."

19-Mar-20
Spike buck, our fall bear hunts are not good. Tried it several times, we can kill bears but not any real big ones. Too much farmland food maybe? And we are full in the fall, small lodge, no room for more hunters.

And it’s not just bait, gear and prep for just this spring it’s big investments in the lodge and lots of equipment for several years use. Either paid for already or on loans.

Almost everyone is being impacted by this, including all the hunters who have deposits on hunts. We will all have to work together on it.

20-Mar-20
I can't understand whom to believe to...

20-Mar-20
I did a fall bear hunt in Alberta years ago. Had a blast but there is too much cool stuff to do up there in the fall besides hunt bears so I get why its not offered much.

20-Mar-20
We are approx. 70 days out from our hunt and are hoping that things will change so the border will open to the hunting trade. I met my bear outfitter in a caribou camp in the mid-1990s on a fantastic hunt and, over the next 24 years have hunted bear with him many, many times with friends and had the privilege of meeting many US hunters, mostly from the east coast. Any of us who have worked for outfitters (I have for both Canadian and US), or have experienced the services of an outfitter, know full well the logistics involved in prepping for a hunt season. Mike absolutely hits the nail on the head!! Outfitters have spent monies getting ready for the spring bear season. No refunds for bait/fuel/food/etc. Do Canadian federal or provincial governments step in with some kind of financial backing if this mess cancels this spring's hunts? One might hope so as, if they do not, I can foresee many hunting/fishing camps closed. So one looses a hunt deposit which I realize is a real concern. I would rather my outfitter be able to survive so the future will hold another spring bear hunt for me. Mike, thanks for your very clear perspective!!!!

20-Mar-20
I feel bad for all hunters & outfitters both. I hope everyone gets to hunt and keep running there outfits. I do understand fully that outfitters have upfront cost too just like most ALL seasonal businesses. You buy raw materials in the off season, carry all your overheads & labor and produce all the goods with no guarantee that it will sell next season. With business comes Risk & Reward.

20-Mar-20
When Ontario had it's Spring hunt taken away, without warning, we had to scramble to readjust our business plan. We had a Fall hunt so I just put all deposits to a Fall only hunt. The hunters booked understood that this was the only option. NONE of my hunters went without a bear hunt in 1999 who had paid their hard earned money. Took a ton of readjusting of our business, but we did it. While promoting my Fall only season there where many bashing Fall hunts, but I still did it.

Because of the cancelling of our hunt in 1999, I have learned how to respond to emergencies.... I now have 85% of my hunters booked for Spring 2020 with 2 dates. 1 in the spring they originally booked and paid deposits for and an alternate date for a Fall hunt if need be. Good luck to all involved!!!

Some will be mad at me for this post.... I was back in 1999 when I was told to "Suck it up" by others!! But there is a way through this crisis if we put our minds to it...

2 months after buying the camp off my dad, I learned what crisis management meant the hard way!!!

20-Mar-20
The whole world is going to be affected from this, not just Outfitters and hunters, people life will be changed mentally, physically, financially, Outfitters will survive like they always did

20-Mar-20
Agree skull. No one is going to escape this mess unharmed.

21-Mar-20

Mike Ukrainetz's embedded Photo
Says air travel is exempt
Mike Ukrainetz's embedded Photo
Says air travel is exempt
Not sure why we have two of these threads but, I just read this, this morning from a mainstream news site, says air travel is exempt but who knows? Could change today even if it’s true?

21-Mar-20
I am crossing the border at about 6:00 this afternoon. Dropping off a kid and his moms going to be on the other side to pick him up. Hope Canada lets me back in!!!

21-Mar-20
There bringing residents back for weeks on end who r on vacation if they stop u from coming back in I will be surprised Chris good luck.

27-Mar-20
How long before the first hunters show up to Canadian Outfitters start Baiting?

27-Mar-20
I'll start baiting for Spring as soon as roads are open to access hunting areas. Most roads that we use are not plowed out during the winter months. Mid to late April for us... Fall is Mid July...

28-Mar-20
Same as spike buck. As soon as the snow drops a little more we'll start to bait. Probably start mid April. Hunters were to arrive May 8. Always like to start baiting a month prior or more.

28-Mar-20
Any Canadians heard anything about US citizens having access to check on buildings,cabins etc owned by them in Canada? Received a text from a Canadian friend saying that was being considered.

28-Mar-20
They are NOT allowed right now!! Camps owned by US citizens, most only have work permits, are not able to open their camps until border opens. BIG dilemma for them... they have many bookings for fishing or bear hunting. They would be considered a burden on Canada's health care system if they got sick in Canada!! Northern Ontario Tourist Outfitters Association has been in contact with the Government on this issue... but no response from government as of last Thursday. They have more pressing worries right now!!!

28-Mar-20
Do an annual ice out lake trout trip to Ontario mid May every year. Camp is owned by Minnesotan. Haven't heard from her if they will be able to go up there but a little early yet anyway. Will just go with the flow. If not I can just cast off my deck and make believe. Can have a beer at my side that way!

28-Mar-20
Based on comments above around two weeks from now, mid April, Canadian Outfitters will have to decide whether or not to start baiting in hopes that the Canadian Government will open the border by the first week of May. Seems like there are all sorts of potential scenarios around when the border is opened, how far ahead of the opening the announcement is made, and whether or not an Outfitter might try to run a partial season. I sure wish the Outfitters the best of luck in what is likely to be a difficult couple of weeks with significant decisions to be made.

28-Mar-20
Don't anyone be surprised if before this is over we are restricted to our own states, let alone Canada. The only exception will likely be trade.

28-Mar-20
If this was a baseball game batting practice has not even started yet

28-Mar-20
Id say we'll know more by April 21st..

CSBA WEBSITE: "This decision will be implemented on March 21, 2020, at which time the U.S. and Canada will temporarily restrict all non-essential travel across the U.S.-Canada land border. The measure will be in place for 30 days, at which point it will be reviewed by both parties".

Prime Minister’s Office

https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/agency-agence/pm-covid19-eng.html

28-Mar-20
Talked to a friend of mine who owns a place in Ontario - he said one of his neighbors (lives in MN - also owns a place in Ontario) tried to get into Canada yesterday and was turned back.

Have our annual fishing trip end of May, hope it's open by then.

29-Mar-20
Well put Mike Ukrainetz. I'd imagine a lot of folks are staring out the wondering how they will survive, and that includes outfitters. The folks in the north doing polar bear/muskox, to the outfitters in New Zealand, Africa, etc are getting hit now. Spring bear soon there after. Your outfitter, like everyone else, is dealing with something totally new and it will take awhile to see what our governments decide about border/airline travel. 50%-70% of an outfitters (that include bear hunts) annual income is from spring bear, so just know that most of them are trying to figure out what to do and how to do it right.

29-Mar-20
Saturday morning the Montreal Gazette reported that the Quebec Provincial gov. had put in place very restricted travel to/from rural areas and had sent provincial police to US border crossings to intercept returning Quebec 'snow birds' to inform such of the mandatory 14-day stay-in-home order. Not expecting our hunt this spring.

29-Mar-20
The sporting goods store up here is still open and mobbed with people buying guns, crossbows, and ammo to guard their toilet paper.

29-Mar-20
As of yesterday at 4:00 p.m., eight northern areas of Quebec have been closed indefinitely to all but absolutely essential travel. The Provincial police have roadblocks in place. We are one of those regions. I still have access to my bear hunting spots, but depending on how long this goes on, friends from Quebec I have coming might not be able to join me.

29-Mar-20
I am going to remain hopeful.

I believe most of this will pass before my scheduled bear hunt. I truly hope it does.

29-Mar-20
You must have a fall hunt planned

03-Apr-20
You won't see travel restrictions lifted before mid summer. I won't try to explain why b/c there are too many armchair epidemiologists on Bowsite

03-Apr-20
Some Provinces are in the process of officially closing 2020 spring hunting and fishing for non-residents.

03-Apr-20
Good thing we now have the official future. Don’t know if we’ll unpanic as quick as we panicked/ responded to this. But if the border opens I’m going bear hunting.

03-Apr-20
I am still planning on a Spring hunt until instructed otherwise. Haven't heard anything about the Ontario Spring hunt closing... I must admit it does not look good. What ever it is I have a back up plan!! Plan #A, Plan #B and a Plan #C. No matter what, every hunter booked at Pine Acres will get to hunt bears eventually!!

03-Apr-20
Just read all outdoor activities have been cancelled across Ontario.... Residents and Non Residents. Never said for how long though.

03-Apr-20
Have Plan A, B, and C penciled in. Thinking about Plan D, but that's it.

03-Apr-20
Because going into the outdoors is dangerous? Not onboard with the direction this keeps going.

03-Apr-20
Travel from one province to another is starting to get restricted ( Quebec Provincial police have set up on the Quebec side of interprovincial bridges in Ottawa and are turning people away)...Sorry to say but the Canada-US border will probably not be opened within the next month or two for normal travel and your Spring Bear hunts will 99% most likely not happen. Prepare for it.

03-Apr-20
"Because going outdoors is dangerous"?

Not really ... there are two things that influence closure of outdoor activities:

1. Congregations of people. For instance, at border crossings. Keeping border guards healthy is the priority ... not your trip. Mixing people at camps is also an issue. 2. Search and Rescue may not be available due to resources used elsewhere.

03-Apr-20
They have a blockade at the Ontario Manitoba border. Essential travel only allowed into each province. Ones from Manitoba, who have cabins in Ontario, are turned back....

Deertick, everything you posted makes sense!!

03-Apr-20

Ambush's embedded Photo
I'd like to save these little guys......
Ambush's embedded Photo
I'd like to save these little guys......
Ambush's embedded Photo
......from these guys!
Ambush's embedded Photo
......from these guys!
My annual bear camp is about a six hour drive away and we go there because there are just friggin oodles of bears. We camp at a lake and just have a few days of relaxing and killing bears. Our provincial government has already strongly advised against inter community travel, but pretty quick the Indians will be blockading roads TO their communities. But they will be free to come and go. I can see them blocking travel on the Alaska Hwy from both directions. They have erected a "check point" on one coastal highway and the police are "monitoring" the situation.

Have to see what the next month brings, but I may just stay home and wack some local trouble makers and calf/fawn eaters.

03-Apr-20
Spike buck is the ban between Manitoba and Ontario recent-like last few hours?A good friend lives in Steinbach but has a place in Ontario and hasn't heard this yet.

03-Apr-20
I do know only permanent Mn residents living in the 'Angle' can now travel through Manitoba to get to Roseau or Warroad Mn.Rec cabin owners can't.

03-Apr-20
They will ask what your essential travel into Ontario is. Going to your summer cabin is not essential. Tell him to not waste his time. WHY DOES he want to travel knowing he is recommended to stay home!!! Ontario gov says they don't want to burden small community health care facilities!!

03-Apr-20
You’re gonna run out of exclamation marks. Cool down,he’s not shooting your stinking bears nor messing with your plan Y or Z.

03-Apr-20
BUT potentially bringing COVID 19 to Kenora. Any traveller coming into W.Ontario will be creating a plan Y&Z if travellers keep ignoring the travel restrictions!!! Their theory is Kenora or any local Hospitals cant handle any more than the local population.

03-Apr-20
I went through this "blockade" at the MB/Ont border on Tuesday. There was literally no vehicle of any kind slowing our progress into Ontario, and when I came back to Manitoba later in the day there was some friendly CO officers there. Had no issues. Went fishing for the day. Caught some nice pike. Saw no one. Travel advisories haven't changed since then. Not saying they won't, but they haven't yet. Also contractors are travelling back and forth daily with no problems. We are doing a couple big kitchens in cottage country across the border.

03-Apr-20
It is now Friday.... Tuesday is long gone. Essential travel only. Your just lucky that all contractors are considered essential travel in Ontario. You just add in a little fishin into your work day!!!!

03-Apr-20
……………………..or doing work on a remote cabin! ;-)

03-Apr-20
I know Tuesday is long gone, but I checked the bulletin's for every day since then and nothing has changed in regards to travel.

03-Apr-20
Still says Essential Travel Only.... So ya nothing has changed. The loopholes keep fishers happy.

03-Apr-20
What a piece of work.

03-Apr-20
Bored Leftee???? Sorry if I yelled at you!!!!

To answer your original question. The restriction of travel to Essential only means what??? Just so happens, at this time, Ontario considers APauls job essential. They are telling people to not enter Ontario to access your private cabins so as to not burden our limited health care systems. Also, as of today, out door recreation has been banned in Ontario... this includes all outdoor activities. *** Refer to Deerticks post for explanation. Provincial Police can stop traffic if they deem them to be non essential. Vehicles with out of province plates. As can the CO's Apauls encountered at the border. ***Also as of April 4th, contractors will not be deemed essential workers. At 12:10 pm today, Apauls loophole was taken away.

03-Apr-20
Not bored at all despite you.Asked a civil question and regret that it was asked of you. I suggest you consider stopping by Hubers Lone Pine and having a good german dinner.Perhaps Bavarian Bratwurst or Sauerbraten.Add some red cabbage maybe.I say that cause it's clear your schnitzel lacks some wiener. The bright part of your 'blockade' is I won't have to get anywhere near you this season.

03-Apr-20
Funny....Hubers does make great sausage. Went there for or anniversary dinner also... but unfortunately he closed his restaurant down last year!! Maybe he'll make it in the sausage business. He's also selling his camp.... bailing out, you need to buy it!!

LOL...Its not for you to worry about my Schnizel.!!!

03-Apr-20
Spike, when you mention out of province vehicles....are all of the province's shut down between each other...even if it's deemed essential?

03-Apr-20
Ontario lets essential only... construction / contractors was taken off the list this afternoon. When stopped in Ontario by OPP, they will ask for documents pertaining to a persons essential business. Quebec, I think is stopping traffic from Ontario. Also some in the Eastern provinces, where you go through a checkpoint. Best advice phone provincial police and see whats essential. Also will tell all non essential to stay home.

03-Apr-20
The militia is stopping all traffic from entering our village, both from South and the border nearby. The National Guard delivered our first shipment of rations. We are locked and loaded. Mostly loaded.

03-Apr-20
Thanks....I was just curious if one of you guys "needed" to go from say Ontario to Manitoba.....would the Manitoba authorities let you enter. You could pick any two provinces. It sounds like each province has their own rules then and are not standardized??

03-Apr-20
Lots have changed in the last few hours. If its considered essential then no problems. They are clamping down further. But the premiere did admit they are seeing what they have implemented is slowing in a positive way but are cautious. Says those who find loopholes don't care about life... exact words!!

03-Apr-20
It goes without saying that hunting and everything associated with the outdoors is very important to us. We wouldn't be on this site discussing this if it wasn't. In many cases, myself included, the outdoors is far from a sport but rather our life.

I have to assume that the measures taken on border closing / monitoring and all other restrictions we are dealing with these days are applied following advice from our most knowledgeable scientists and health care professionals.

I'm curious... and the following is not meant to stir up any ill feelings.

I was wondering how many on Bowsite have asthma (mild or otherwise), how many have had pneumonia (and/or scar tissues in their lungs), how many have some other respiratory problem, how many still smoke, how many have some sort of cancer (prostrate included), how many have high blood pressure, how many have diabetes, how many have compromised immune systems for any reason or other, how many are over 70 (or even 60), and how many have family, friends, and/or relatives that fall into any of those categories?

I'm absolutely not being sarcastic, critical, or negative in any way shape, or form. I'm genuinely curious if there exists a person that's impervious to this crazy highly contagious virus.

And as a side note, I was shocked and saddened by the death of one of my favorite country singers - Joe Diffie.

03-Apr-20
Ken, IMO....I'm speculating many of the BS faithful can check a block in the risk categories you listed above. I can check off 3 of them. Speaking for myself....I'm still going to plug away at life while still trying to adhere to the CDC guidelines. The main reason is I do not want to get anyone else sick. The last few days I have been seeing some resentment towards the Gen Z crowd. Some of those folks are knowingly acting reckless and paying the price. I don't know if anyone else who seen the story about the college kids who recently charted a plane to Cabo for spring break and a bunch got the virus and came back with it. They knew it was risky and yet they still rolled the dice. Not very bright!

Continuing to take the optimistic road....we'll pull thru this. John

03-Apr-20
John, yup, I agree - I too am an optimist, albeit a realist, as you seem also to be.

Personality traits that are pretty well mandatory for bowhunting, lol.

03-Apr-20
On the western side of Ontario lies Kenora. Essentially annexed from Ontario and totally reliant on Manitobans for revenue and labor. Winnipeg is the closest city. People in Kenora hire tradesmen from MB at $120/hr because it’s more economical than hiring local. Shutting the border and cutting off Manitobans would hurt them far more then help them. Construction and anything construction or renovation related is considered an essential service by both provinces and the federal government wants me to hire my people back and go full steam. If they wouldn’t pay them so much to stay at home maybe I’d even have a chance at doing it besides a skeleton crew of die hards.

03-Apr-20

Razorsedge's Link
follow the link, dated today from the official Ontario, page, scroll down to item #24. it reads." Agriculture and food production Businesses that produce food and beverages, and agricultural products including plants, including by farming, harvesting, aquaculture, hunting and fishing.

It is listed as essential not me saying it, just posting what they have on the official site.

03-Apr-20
this is the latest message from MNRF. Ontario Ministry of Natural Resources and ForestryLike Page March 31 at 11:20 AM · Attention anglers and hunters: We would like to take this opportunity to reach out and let you know that Ministry of Natural Resources and Forestry Conservation Officers continue to patrol and protect our natural resources during the COVID-19 outbreak.

We remind everyone that by respecting seasons, sanctuaries, bag and possession limits we all help ensure our natural resources stay healthy. All hunting regulations remain in effect and unchanged.

Please only trust official messaging from our ministry social media channels, or by visiting ontario.ca/hunting. If you have any additional questions, please feel free to ask them here or follow our Fish and Wildlife program at facebook.com/FishWildlifeON.

To report a natural resource violation, call the ministry’s 24/7 TIPS line at 1-877-847-7667 toll-free. You can also call Crime Stoppers anonymously at 1-800-222-TIPS. Please visit ontario.ca/MNRFtips for more information.

The health and well-being of the people of Ontario is our top priority. In response to the COVID-19 outbreak, Ontario has been diligently monitoring the developing situation and taking decisive action to contain the spread of this new virus to ensure the health and safety of all Ontarians. We recommend visiting Ontario.ca/coronavirus and Canada.ca/coronavirus to stay up-to-date with the latest information.

03-Apr-20
Thanks, Razorsedge. Detailed and I stand corrected. Ontario, April 3rd, did announce all recreational activities would be banned, again info I have is vague on what's recreational. Also the premiere said certain construction will be deemed to be not essential. Info above says renovations started before April 4th can be continued. But renovation started after April 4th would not be allowed. I guess building permits might say when work started. They were very vague in their announcement today.Chris.

04-Apr-20
People from below are flocking up here. Every camp is full and they are rationing meat and canned goods at stores. Border Patrol has been in town every day. We have no virus yet, but these people will soon change that. The gun room at the local sporting goods store is packed every day. It’s coming with these flatlanders.

04-Apr-20
lawdy that sucks. Where do all those people stay ? Where do they eat? What are they doing there other than trying to escape the virus

04-Apr-20
They are staying in hunting camps, RV’s, and renting where available in this area. Our village has no rents, but the town below us has some apartment buildings. I talked with a friend in Newfy tonight and there is no virus up on the Great Northern Peninsula, but the East Coast is being hit hard. They too are seeing an influx. As far as food, we are all set with deer meat, cod, and moose for protein. We still have a lot of frozen vegetables and potatoes in the root cellar. Our Newfy friends are fine too with a moose in the freezer along with a couple of freezers full of cod, crabs and lobster.

05-Apr-20
Spike is Bear Paw Landing still in business, I went there for a lot of years when Gorden Bentley and his wife mimi ran, was a great place, it is a very good area for bears. I hope you have a great year which ever season comes into play Good Luck.6=gold

05-Apr-20
Bear Paw Landing...Gordon Bently of Broadhead WI. Had a Archery shop also in his home town. At his bow only Bear camp on Wabigoon Lake, he had Fred Bear as a regular client. David Zinn of WI, owns and runs a successful Bow only camp out of Bear Paw Landing still. David bought it off of Carl and Susan Seek of MO. Thanks 6Gold

06-Apr-20
Nature and Outdoor Tourism Ontario has a link off it's home page that anyone asking questions pertaining to travel across the Federal and provincial Borders can refer to. Feel free to email or call Laurie Marcil for more info.... NOTO is paid for by Certain Ontario Outfitters, our Association. NOTO.ca for info on travelling to and from Ontario.

06-Apr-20

Russell's Link
Use this link and you can get updates on any changes to the Border being closed.

• Sitka Gear