PECO 18-Mar-20
WV Mountaineer 18-Mar-20
PECO 18-Mar-20
longbeard 18-Mar-20
Timbrhuntr 19-Mar-20
EmbryOklahoma 19-Mar-20
PECO 19-Mar-20
18-Mar-20
I know many of us, or some of us video ourselves shooting our bow to check our form. Today I got a new turkey boxcall. I did a short video to send to a guy to give me feedback on the sound of the call. After a number of takes, I realize I better get to practicing. Does anyone else video or record themselves working a call? Give it a try you will be surprised.

18-Mar-20
Nope. I do video myself shooting both traditional and compound bows though. I don't practice like most do. I shoot very little. And, many times it is a one shot deal. And, many of those times it is at extended range with whatever bow I picked up for that day. My goal is a good killing shot the first shot. With either bow.

Out to 50 or so yards that isn't too hard on a target with a compound for me. I can get to 40 or so with a trad bow now only because I video'ed myself. It allowed me to see where my form was breaking down. Causing less then desirable first shots.

18-Mar-20
I like to shoot my bows and shoot them for fun. When hunting season approaches I do the one shot drill more often.

18-Mar-20
To your point PECO, many years ago when I was starting out at this new hunting season in the Spring, I would video myself all the time. It’s the best and most honest feedback you can get.

I would also rent VHS turkey hunting videos back in the day and try to mimic the guys on those as close as I could. I’m not an award winning caller by any means but I do pretty well and owe a lot of my calling success to those two tactics.

Just last year, I had a novice turkey hunter face timing and sending me phone videos of himself learning to use the box and mouth. It is a very useful tool.

19-Mar-20
I have a small tape recorder which I use not some much for the exact sound but more for the cadence I set.

19-Mar-20
I actually did that 20 years ago before I entered a turkey calling contest. I got the distance I thought the judges would be (or told they would be) and did a plain yelp, kee-kee run, fly down cackle and a excited hen cut. I listened back to them and did my best to project the distance with the right amount of volume and cadence. It also taught me to regulate better and lessen the amount of notes on a yelp. The toughest was the kee-kee. I ended up winning the contest too in the hunter division.

Like WV, I video myself shooting often too. Like longbeard said, It's a great learning tool.

Edit: also... set your video up on record and walk 75-100 yards away and listen back to it. The calls some folks make that sound horrid just feet away, are more than adequate from many yards away. There's a big difference.

19-Mar-20
What is really going to be an awakening is after turkey season and I record myself calling elk.

• Sitka Gear