skull 22-Mar-20
spike buck 22-Mar-20
skull 23-Mar-20
spike buck 23-Mar-20
willliamtell 24-Mar-20
newfi1946moose 24-Mar-20
spike buck 25-Mar-20
19-Mar-20
scheduled for black bear in Canada along with a lot of you I'd guess. What are your guesses on it reopening? In time?

19-Mar-20
My guess will be two weeks into the season. Because it'll screw up basically everyone's hunt but salvageable for a few. Let's hope a hell of a lot sooner

19-Mar-20
Talked to the outfitter where I hunt. He is planning to make a call thumbs up or down in 4-5 weeks as he figures he needs to start baiting a couple of weeks before the first hunters show up.

19-Mar-20
I would ask your outfitter for a Fall date in case the Border stays closed for the long haul. That is our camps plan for its hunters. Fall Bear Hunting is successful and hides are not bad at all. No rubbed out bears in the Fall. If baited right by the outfitter, success will be good.. berries or not!!

19-Mar-20
Not supposed to peak for 45 days or so and I don’t see them lifting restrictions until WELL PAST the peak. Don’t think they will start opening things up for at least 90 days. Hope I am wrong, but I’m not too optimistic.

19-Mar-20
I have a pike fishing trip late May. Am guessing that’s at best 50/50 at this point in time.

19-Mar-20
Not having a good gut feeling about any border opening happening any time soon. No option for a fall hunt in Quebec at this time.

19-Mar-20
Spoke with our outfitter, he's somewhat optimistic his June hunters will be OK to hunt but unsure about earlier weeks.

19-Mar-20
A fall hunt is not an option for many outfitters or hunters. It’s not that simple

19-Mar-20
Antelope,deer ,and elk in the fall

19-Mar-20
The border closure is affecting more than just bear hunters. International hunts are also in limbo. I’m scheduled to hunt Greenland in September. My flights will take me to Denmark before doubling back to Greenland. Between leaving the US, traveling through Europe and on to Greenland, there’s a lot of uncertainty. My flights should have already been booked due to making sure I get a seat on a flight to Greenland when I need to. In “normal” times, there aren't many flights to begin with.

I think everyone is going to suffer over this virus in one way or another. Governments are most likely going to err on the side of caution before reopening borders. I’m not that optimistic that fall hunts requiring border crossings won’t be affected. Hope I’m wrong.

20-Mar-20
I’m scheduled for mid May in Sask; he does deer and waterfowl too (Spirit Creek Outfitters if anyone has hunted with them). May have to see if I can swap out if it’s more than 30 days then rebook for bear in Spring 2021.

20-Mar-20
Chief....why are you flying to Denmark vs going to Iceland then to Greenland? At one time there was air service between Iqaluit, CA directly to Nuuk, GL. It might be a seasonal thing though.

20-Mar-20
Yes it's a seasonal thing. As I understand it, once tourist traffic dies off after August, there are very few flights through Iceland. I'm in the same boat as Chief for September. Hoping air travel is back to normal by that time.

20-Mar-20
Hell, the airlines may all be out of business by September!!!! Gonna be a rough year for travel hunting IMO, and international even more so.

—Jim

20-Mar-20
Rumor has it that Trump will be announcing new travel restrictions today.

20-Mar-20
The borders were open till today. He is going to announce the particulars of the closure.

20-Mar-20
I've seen a lot of Quebec and Nova Scotia plates on the interstate the last few days heading back to Canada.

20-Mar-20
No Canadian can be turned back if he has a Canadian Passport or Drivers license. They must allow them back into Canada. Same with American Citizens. We have hunters in Camp till Sunday. I phoned and Customs and border Patrol says all they need is a valid Passport to enter. Healthy Citizens cant be denied re-entry!!Border closes today

20-Mar-20
The border doesn't close it has restrictions ! They don't shut the gate and put up a closed sign !

20-Mar-20
Yes, I was using the wrong word!!

20-Mar-20
The latest......now add Mexico to the "essential travel only" list. Some desert sheep hunts might be affected.

20-Mar-20
JL - You are correct there are flights from Iceland. That's the route I took on my first trip. There are more flight options out of Denmark than Iceland. I'm not sure there is much of a difference at this point. Air Greenland has more options out of Denmark. It's a mess no matter which way I go. I usually don't buy travel insurance but given the chaos, I'm going to purchase it. Good luck to all bear hunters. I have more time on my side.

20-Mar-20
No one know how long will take to get out of this mess, this is just the beginning, so far is only getting worse every day going by

21-Mar-20
I'm not even sure you could get trip insurance now

21-Mar-20
I've checked on travel insurance and covid related losses are excluded.

21-Mar-20

Mike Ukrainetz's embedded Photo
Says flights are exempt
Mike Ukrainetz's embedded Photo
Says flights are exempt
I read this, this morning from a mainstream news site, but who the heck knows? It also said a 14 day isolation is recommended once you enter either country though.

21-Mar-20
^^^ “Sorry honey, but I’m stuck in bear camp for fourteen days. Might as well hold out for a Boone’er”

21-Mar-20
We use wooden box blinds so we could give you 2 tags, a sleeping bag, a 14 day supply of food and a 5 gallon bucket of water. Would that work?

21-Mar-20
That would be awesome!!

It may take a few clients to figure out how deep to dig the hole out back for “down loading”. Maybe an ATV mounted post hole auger??

21-Mar-20
I crossed today into the states.... handed a kid over to his mom and back into Canada... now I have 14 days of quarantine!!

22-Mar-20
How do they monitor that Chris

22-Mar-20
They cant... they told me I must self monitor. Handed me a folded news letter and said good day.

22-Mar-20
Apparently the Ontario Provincial Police in Dryden put out a notice that they can arrest someone who does not practice social spacing, business closures or quarantines. They are getting serious out this illness.

22-Mar-20
How do they arrest someone when they have to stay 6 feet from you? Just wondering...

22-Mar-20
No one is going to get arrested, for know only issuing fines

Ontario Provincial Police will be issuing fines for individuals and business who don’t comply with state of emergency provisions that ban gatherings of 50 or more people.

Premier Doug Ford declared a state of emergency on Tuesday amid the coronavirus pandemic.

The state of emergency allowed the province to order the closure of all facilities providing indoor recreation programs, all public libraries, all private schools, all licensed childcare centres, all theatres, cinemas and concert venues, and all bars and restaurants except to provide takeout food and delivery.

The state of emergency remains in place until March 31 at this point.

Provincial police say anyone found to be in violation of the Emergency Management and Civil Protection Act could face hefty fines.

Failure to comply with an order will cost you $750 while an obstructions of person would $1,000. Corporations could be fined $500,000.

These fines will be enforced by police

22-Mar-20
I used wrong word... fines

23-Mar-20
Here we go, like I predicted. as tomorrow night 12am Ontario is on lockdown for 3 weeks All non essential store are closed

23-Mar-20
Its your end of Ontario causing all the trouble Skull!!! LOL.. should close Ontario at Wawa & keep it open west to Manitoba border.

24-Mar-20
Based on what I'm reading and hearing, I wouldn't make any plans until fall.

24-Mar-20
Skull....Just read the latest news from the Montreal Gazette and the Ottawa Citizen and it is very evident that the provinces are seem to be shutting things down faster than expected. My hunting group here expects no hunt this spring.

25-Mar-20
Right now there are many camp owners that can't get into Canada to open and run their camps until border opens. They live in US and come to Canada where they own a camp.. contact your outfitter if your booked with one!!!

This Topic has been locked. Thank you.

• Sitka Gear