GF 20-Mar-20
HH 20-Mar-20
Ambush 20-Mar-20
Scooby-doo 21-Mar-20
Ambush 21-Mar-20
20-Mar-20

Ambush's embedded Photo
Ambush's embedded Photo
Got this from a friend this morning. Probably too short for my draw length, but thought I’d shoot it a bit anyway. Did a little googling with no answer yet.

Question is what do the two draw weights mean? I assume 40# at 28”, but 50# at what? And a year?

It’s in near mint shape, so any problem over drawing it to 29”.

20-Mar-20
Don't worry about drawing it at 29" usually there's a string length listed when showing 2 different poundages

20-Mar-20
I think the 58 is string length

20-Mar-20
58 is bow length, itll draw fine to 29".

20-Mar-20
Carl your right. What puzzles me is the 40/50 marking

20-Mar-20
Put it on scale. Its 58” AMO Will pull 40@28” and will pick up prolly 2lbs/ in there after approx. or close to that.

K~

20-Mar-20
Highlife, you may be right. It’s still in the original box and when I strung it the brace height seemed high. He said there is another string for it somewhere. It definitely pulls more than 40# with this string and stacks hard before I reach my draw length. Hopefully he can find the other string or I’ll have one made.

20-Mar-20
What Stix said.

You will want to run a Dacron string on that bow.

What kind of brace height do you have now? Would think that around 7 1/2-8" would be about right.

What kind of arrows are you shooting? If you are shooting woodies, you will probably want 45-50 spine arrows or heavier. For carbons, a .500 spine arrow will probably work out about right. I like heavier point weights so stiffer spined arrows will work better for the way I shoot.

I like to tune with a bare shaft to start with.

Play with the brace height till you don't have string slap on your wrist and the bow quiets down. I will usually start on a recurve at around 7" and twist the string to go up 1/4" at a time.

Then you can set your nock height and tune your point weight to get good arrow flight. Helps to have a variety of field points (if you are shooting carbon arrows).

Ping me if you have more detailed tuning questions.

20-Mar-20
Well there ya go got your answer and a few of us got edgmacated lol

20-Mar-20

Ambush's embedded Photo
Ambush's embedded Photo
Tavis, I’m not sure if you’d laugh or cry at my recurve follies. For my warf bow, which shoots good, the string slap is so bad that I built a string stop from a 2315 shaft and blunt and a soft rubber wiring grommet.

My Browning Apollo has a twisted limb and shoots not too bad, but not good either.

Now this one is short for my wingspan. The string on it now, which is one of the originals, gives a brace height of 8 7/8”.

20-Mar-20
No way that bow will stand up to your DL. Better send it to me for safekeeping. Besides - my #1 son needs a regular shooter... and I don’t want him stealing my Bamboo Viper ;)

20-Mar-20
It will shoot d97 just fine. K~

20-Mar-20
I would likely do that GF, but the shipping would be more than the bow is worth, even as clean as it is. Not a very pretty bow, unless you like a plain grip and wide limbs.

The bow measures 58" as is indicated, but the string measures 52 1/2" which is quite a bit shorter than the recommended 54". I'll have one made, then go from there.

Thanks for the info guys. One of these days I may just break down and buy a real nice recurve or an easy shooting longbow, just for pleasure and bears.

21-Mar-20
The string should be 3" shorter than the 58"s or 4"s shorter depending when bow was made. With a string as short as you have the BH will be way to high. The BH should be around 7.5 to 8"s on that bow. It will handle a 30" draw but it will start to stack right after that 28" mark and probably gain 4 to 5# an inch after that 28"s. Shawn

21-Mar-20
Near as I can tell the bow was built in 1970. My local one man shop owner is in his mid seventies has been in archery since a kid and knows his stuff. I phoned him this afternoon and he'll make me a 54 1/2" Dacron string. I can shoot it for a while, then make one a bit longer or shorter, if need be, to get the best results.

• Sitka Gear