wraith8 27-Mar-20
JSW 27-Mar-20
primitve 29-Mar-20
Matt 30-Mar-20
FlyingArcher 15-Apr-20
Ogoki 15-Apr-20
Grubby 15-Apr-20
20-Mar-20
Stuck at home with a freezer full of meat. I would like to try some bear recipes this next week. Any suggestions?

20-Mar-20
Grind it

20-Mar-20
I like to smoke the roasts. Some BBQ rub and smoke at 220-225* till the internal temp is about 170* and it is great. One of my friends always cooks his like roast beef with carrots and onions or Lipton dry soup mix rubbed on and his family loves it.

21-Mar-20
Breakfast sausage

21-Mar-20
Great for stew and bratwurst.

21-Mar-20
I loved the breakfast sausage with bear that I had when I was in bear camp. I had designated the meat for that, but thought I would like to try a roast.

Any recipes for slow roasted bear with a bbq sauce. Or a southern pork butt style recipe? I assume 5 hours in the oven at 300 degrees would produce some tender delicious meat.

21-Mar-20
Good plan for being at home. Just make sure you get it cooked to well done - check out Randy Newberg's information on getting sick on under-cooked bear .... pretty scary.

21-Mar-20
I shot my bears prior to owning a sous vide machine, but I have to believe using one with bear meat would make a big difference in tenderness. Most bear meat I've cooked and eaten were pretty tough.

21-Mar-20
Korey, heavily season the roast. Add some bacon grease or olive oil and Sear in a skillet all the way around. Set it aside. Save the drippings. Then sear potatoes, celery, carrots, and onions in the same skillet. Add all that to a crock pot where you have a quart beef broth, one beer, and 3 tbsp of minced garlic. Seriously, just dump the skillet full of seared veggies and all the drippings in the crock pot. Then add roast. The roast should not be submerged at all. You want it out of the juice. Turn it on high and let it work for about 3 hours. Turn to low and finish for 2 hours. And, prepare for the best roast you have ever had.

Don't be afraid of the salt either. Add some to the broth when you start.

21-Mar-20
Stew and pot roast were my favorites!

21-Mar-20
Cedar plank.........

22-Mar-20
Trim the fat? Or does that add a good flavor? Fall bear on berries.

22-Mar-20

Korey Wolfe's embedded Photo
I decided I wanted to trim it up before cooking it.

22-Mar-20

I seasoned it up and grilled it for a few minutes to get some smoke flavor and add grill marks. It is currently in the oven at 250 degrees covered in foil. We are going to have it for supper. If it turns out good, I’ll post the recipe.

22-Mar-20
I have never got the taste for it. I have had it cooked 10 ways to Sunday and although I have had some that wasn't too bad. I would not go out of my way to acquire more! Shawn

22-Mar-20

spike78's embedded Photo
spike78's embedded Photo
Shot a 90lb bear in MA last season my first thought it was bigger anyway is THE best meat I ever had way better then deer cooking some in the pot as we speak.

22-Mar-20
Jen has be cooking the ribs in the instant pot with a rib rub and finishing them off on the BQ or broiling them. The fat on a fall bear has real good flavour depending on what it's been eating. Better than any pork ribs. Comes out real tender.

23-Mar-20
if you made any bear sausage here's one:

break up and brown one pound of bear sausage in a large skillet and remove the meat from the skiilet

peel and finely dice two medium potatoes, rinse them under cold water and drain, lightly brown them in the skillet on medium heat with some cooking oil or bacon grease added if needed (some bear sausage is fat enough not to need oil)

add the browned sausage back when the potatoes are done, beat five large or six small eggs and fold in, cook on medium heat until eggs are done.

Serve with toast or biscuits

23-Mar-20
Definitely great meat!

23-Mar-20
My favorite is boneless brined then smoked hams, I net them then cure them and smoke them

23-Mar-20
stagetek I wouldn't sous vide bear meat. I'm not sure that the extended time at 135 is enough to kill of trichinella parasites

23-Mar-20
3/4" steaks cut cross grain, seasoned with Lawreys and garlic pan fried in butter. Cook thoroughly but it doesn't have to be overdone like shoe leather. I would leave any fat on as well. The taste of the fat is good when seared.

23-Mar-20
Just finished a bowl of bear chili. Can't go wrong with chili but that is a low resolution recommendation. Anyone with better skills than me can do better than chili.

23-Mar-20
One grill, some salt and pepper, and a fork. Bear meat is too good to doctor it...unless of course you shot a dump bear, in which case I suggest tossing it and ordering a pizza.

25-Mar-20
South Farm if you get a "dump bear" and want to save me a roast I will pay for shipping (frozen and packed in a styro cooler I will provide) . I've never had bad tasting black bear meat and would gladly pay the cost to see how bad it really is (serious offer and in no way intended to be argumentative)

25-Mar-20
I give away bear meat. Never had anyone ask for more... Only salvage the meat when required by law, otherwise it gets rolled down the hill.

25-Mar-20
Snuffer send me some, I'll pay shipping.

25-Mar-20
Bear meat needs proper attention when killed. If you drive around all day with the guts in showing it off, or don’t get it cooled quickly, it is like everything else. However, it’s is DELICIOUS if you handle it properly.

25-Mar-20
I think it’s really sad the amount of bear meat that goes to waste. It’s very very good table fare. And it’s very versatile too in how you can prepare it.

26-Mar-20

26-Mar-20

Nick Muche's embedded Photo
Nick Muche's embedded Photo
It's fantastic.

26-Mar-20
Jalapeño cheddar smokeys. Exact recipe for moose was far inferior. For whatever reason perfectly suited for bear.

26-Mar-20
Jalapeño cheddar smokeys. Exact recipe for moose was far inferior. For whatever reason perfectly suited for bear.

27-Mar-20
I thought I would share my recipe. It ended up being a lot of extra work and extra dishes.

I seasoned the meat with Everglades Cactus Dust, onion powder, garlic powder, salt and pepper and then covered it in olive oil. I then grilled it or seared it on the grill for 6 minutes per side. Then covered it in bbq sauce and baked it at 250 degrees for 3.5 hours covered in foil.

It was so chewy that I couldn't see trying to eat it at this point. Some of the small pieces were tender, but the large muscles were not shreddable.

I put it all in the crockpot overnight on low and the next day it was very tender. The pieces that were out of liquid were really drying out, so next time I would make sure it is all submerged.

The meat was a hit! My toddler keeps asking for it during every meal!

27-Mar-20
Throwing away perfectly good bear meat is an embarrassment. Give it immediate attention when killed and it's absolutely delicious and I agree with above, its probably the most versatile big game animal we hunt due to it having a high content of edible fat. Removing the hide immediately will go a long way in maintaining the quality of the meat.

27-Mar-20
We've mainly made our roasts in the slow cooker and had it like pulled pork. We have tried some as roasts as well, but seem to fall back on the slow cooker out of convenience.

27-Mar-20
Bear Braised with Red Wine (Bear Bourguignon)

All of the bears I have harvested have had good flavored meat but they always seem to be a little tough. The best way to deal with tough cuts of meat is to use a slow cooker or bake the meat. This dish takes some time but it is about as good as it gets. You can use any red meat with this recipe.

Serves 6 Prep time 15 minutes Total Time 3 hours

Ingredients

1/4 cup olive oil

8 ounces button mushrooms, trimmed and quartered if large

5 strips bacon, cut into 1/2-inch pieces 3 pounds boneless bear rump roast cut int o 1-inch pieces

coarse salt and ground pepper

1 clove garlic, smashed

1 tablespoon tomato paste

2 tablespoons flour

3 cups dry red wine (like Beaujolais, Cotes du Rhone or Burgundy)

1 cup water

2 beef bullion cubes

1 bay leaf

4 carrots, peeled and cut into 1-inch chunks

10 ounces pearl onions, peeled

2 tablespoons butter, cut into pieces

2 tablespoons parsley, chopped (optional)

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a 5-quart Dutch oven with a tight fitting lid, heat 2 tablespoons oil over medium-high. Add mushrooms and cook until browned, about 10 minutes. Transfer to a plate. Generously season bear meat with salt and pepper. Add 1 tablespoon oil to pot and brown meat, in batches, 2 to 3 minutes per batch (add up to 1 tablespoon oil per batch as needed); transfer to plate. Pour off all but 1 tablespoon oil. Add bacon to pot and cook over medium until brown, 5 to 6 minutes. Add tomato paste, cook until fragrant, 30 seconds. Add flour, cook 30 seconds, Add wine, stock, bay leaf, garlic, and meat. 2. Bring to a boil, cover and transfer to oven. Cook for 1 1/2 hours. Remove from oven and add carrots and onions. Return to oven and cook until meat is very tender and vegetables are tender, about 2 hours. 15 minutes before end of cooking remove, add mushrooms to pot. Remove from oven and stir in 1 tablespoon butter. Serve topped with parsley and with mashed potatos.

29-Mar-20
Steve Rinellas Osso Buco with bear is off the charts, and bear stroganoff is a couple of our favourites!

30-Mar-20
I like to slowly cook steaks on the BBQ, but we kill them in August when they have no fat. Very much like beef, one of my favorite game meats.

15-Apr-20

FlyingArcher's embedded Photo
FlyingArcher's embedded Photo
Bear stew was amazing

15-Apr-20
Bear ribs are my favorite bear meat. I cut all visible fat off and spice each side. I then cook in Instant Pot. After taking out of pot ,I lightly add barbecue sauce and brown on grill ,with low heat ,as not to burn.

15-Apr-20
I absolutely would take bear over any other meat. I like the shanks just cooked in the crockpot . As easy as it gets and tastes great

• Sitka Gear