cnelk's embedded Photo
cnelk's embedded Photo
The moment of truth. Here ya go.

18yds - you're at full draw...

What letter you picking?

24-Mar-20
C

24-Mar-20
Wait till he goes past or turns... At that range and with limited cover, that bull is dead already. He just doesn’t know it yet;-)

24-Mar-20
I’m shootin a recurve so I will have to stalk in to within 5 yards and shoot the c

24-Mar-20
Treeline isn’t playing by the rules, even though he’s probably right. That being said I’m in between a and b. In my opinion c is way low and asking for a brisket shot.

24-Mar-20
given the options the top of B

24-Mar-20
No shot there, I'd be relying more on getting lucky than skill. I'd be patient & wait for him to move. He's un-alarmed there so I've got plenty of time as long as wind holds up.

ElkNut/Paul

24-Mar-20
I've passed on that shot before and will pass again, needs to either get more straight on or more broadside for me

24-Mar-20
A

24-Mar-20
Well, I would wait from him to turn. Otherwise, C. C is the thoracic inlet and you will be able to slip an arrow in. A and B are going to hit bone likely and lucky to nick one lung lobe.

24-Mar-20
Since it looks like I'm uphill from the lean of the trees slighty low on b

24-Mar-20

Grey Ghost's embedded Photo
Grey Ghost's embedded Photo
B, and I wouldn't hesitate to take the shot.

Matt

24-Mar-20
Yeah, I'm with Matt ("B").

I'm good at that angle.

24-Mar-20

splitlimb13's embedded Photo
B

24-Mar-20
With The poundage, BH, arrow weight I’m using. Combined with that range my arrow would drive through any of those spots. But probably C

24-Mar-20
Matt, not the same angle, your photo is more of a frontal shot, I'd take that shot too in the photo.

ElkNut/Paul

24-Mar-20
I’m going to say an inch left of B.

24-Mar-20
How long can you guys hold at full draw? ( as per the OP’s criteria)

Do you hold till you have to let down, then it’s all over?

Do you hold till you can’t hold anymore, then take the shot because you know letting down ends it? (panic shot)

Or do you take the shot as presented while you’re still in control, assuming you are in control?

24-Mar-20
Taking b killed a buck with that shot didn't go far.

24-Mar-20
Top of C for me but that with a selfbow at 15yds or so with a big 200grn two blade.

K`

24-Mar-20
"Or do you take the shot as presented while you’re still in control, assuming you are in control?"

This ^^^. I learned long ago to not pass on a makable shot, hoping for a better one. If you can't confidently hit a softball sized area at 18 yards, you should probably pick a different weapon.

Matt

24-Mar-20
(D) None of the above ;-)

24-Mar-20
Hopefully I can keep my composure but at 18 yards, as Matt said, if you can't hit that target at that range you shouldn't be in the woods with archery equipment ------- "B" all day long.

24-Mar-20
Normally I would wait for him to turn. But last year he didnt turn so I shot him in the "B" at 7 yards and watched him die 35 yards away.

24-Mar-20
If I have to hit the yellow, I'm aiming for the bottom left corner of "B"

24-Mar-20

Two bulls back to back years both quartering to shots. Both died inside of 50 yards

24-Mar-20
That's too close to a Montana heart shot. I'd be patient and wait for a better angle or broadside. I've done shots like that before on deer. They were successful but I told myself not to do it again. That said....A and maybe B look like they are on the outside of the shoulder and the arrow would not even enter the vitals but skip along the outside of the scapula?? Any error by you to the right or the animal spins to his right and you wound the animal. My useless two cents....I think part of hunting is being patient enough to get the best shot angle (or maybe none at all). If I can't be patient, maybe I should pick another sport. Ya...I've made shots like that particular one but I remember the wounded ones alot more. I've wounded them because I was impatient and I hate that feeling of wounding something and the disgust with myself.

24-Mar-20
A hair left of "B".

24-Mar-20
Maybe I'm wrong but they all look good. But I chose B

24-Mar-20
B for me too.

24-Mar-20
To answer Ambush - I would not have drawn yet!

Totally different timing with a trad bow than with a compound.

24-Mar-20
Yes Treeline, this is where the trad guy has the advantage as the seconds turn to minutes. You have your bow up and some tension on the string waiting for the bull to either turn or go past.

24-Mar-20
Tension on the string and wait for him to turn to complete my draw at that range. Inside 12 yards or so I’d say B

24-Mar-20
The dark spot between B and C.

24-Mar-20
I took that shot last year. It’s deadly

24-Mar-20
B

24-Mar-20
B, but truth be told any hit in any of the three spots will result in a very dead elk.

24-Mar-20
Never shot at an elk with a bow, but I’m passing that shot.

(If I were feeling supremely confident it would be between b and c)

24-Mar-20
Although not my preference, have taken that close-range frontal shot range many times. I’d settle the pin directly on B and let it fly.

24-Mar-20
Have hunted trad for fifty years and usually shoot around 60 lbs, that angle would give me pause.

24-Mar-20
Between B and C

25-Mar-20
Given the scenario my answer is B.

25-Mar-20
B...C is low.

25-Mar-20
Top left of the B

25-Mar-20
None of the above

25-Mar-20
"B" been there done that

25-Mar-20
B or just a touch left of B.

25-Mar-20
I'm passing

25-Mar-20

25-Mar-20

25-Mar-20
9:00 edge of B. In a heartbeat...

25-Mar-20
Not only do I pick the spot I want my arrow to enter, its equally important to have the arrow continue through the animal, doing as much damage as far as it can.

'B' spot should have the arrow ending up exiting about the last rib on the opposite side

26-Mar-20
Maybe I am looking at the angle wrong, but that looks like A+B+C=Bone and a wounded elk. Not taking any. Have fun tracking if you shoot.

26-Mar-20

Cityhunter333's embedded Photo
Cityhunter333's embedded Photo
If u have a good set up hi poundage /arrows over 450 grains fast light arrows with expanding heads is not a wise choice

26-Mar-20
Last year I had almost this exact shot.. 18 yds maybe slightly more head on. I took B, he went about 70 yds and died in sight. I’d do it again!

26-Mar-20
My "B" shot last year broke a rib on entry and kept on going. He didn't go far.

26-Mar-20
In episode 11, season 14 of Bowhunter TV, Curt Wells makes this exact shot on a New Mexico Bull (but turned slightly left vs right). He shoots to point B and the bull dies in seconds. He also mentions this is the 5th bull he’s taken with that frontal shot. Personally have taken Moose, Caribou, Red Stag, Muleys, Plainsgame, and a Cape Buffalo with a frontal shot at point B. The closer to full frontal, the better, but It hasn’t failed me yet.

26-Mar-20
B

28-Mar-20
Maybe it’s just the lighting in the picture, but it kind of looks like you can see the point of his left shoulder joint well to the outside.... in which case he’s leaving himself wide open. But if he’s walking then you would have to have awfully good timing. It’s kind of funny how often a still image can make a horrible excuse for a shot opportunity look like a slam dunk.

Definitely a judgment call, and unless I thought he was just about to wander into my scent stream, I would be hard-pressed to talk myself into that one. And pressed harder still to be willing to recommend it to anyone else.

It’s not the difficulty of the shot, so much as the probability of something beyond my control making the whole thing go south.

28-Mar-20
I shot a bull at 19 yards in A. Just the fletchings were showing. The hole plugged and he quit bleeding immediately. He got in with other elk and I never recovered him. A turkey hunter found him dead several days later a mile away.

I will never take a frontal type shot on an animal again even though many have had good success with it. I would pass.

29-Mar-20

Medicinemann's Link
Right where Clayton aimed.....this was posted on Bowsite a couple years ago......but this thread made me dig it up.....if you wish to skip the narrative, go to 0:37 in the video.

29-Mar-20

29-Mar-20
Not shooting - waiting for a better angle.

29-Mar-20
That vid never gets old, Jake!

29-Mar-20
B

29-Mar-20

29-Mar-20

30-Mar-20
Cnelk, Great info thank you!

30-Mar-20

Barty1970's embedded Photo
Barty1970's embedded Photo
Whilst I have not taken any shot at any elk [I am planning to hunt elk in the not too distant future, please God], I practice shooting at a target based on the Elk UoEH frontal anatomic diagram, keeping my shots inside the ribs, maximum distance of 20 yards.

30-Mar-20
Rinehart should make a frontal elk target. The most fun would be listening to the archers talking about it back at the burger and beer shack :)

30-Mar-20
I remember all the controversy these threads used to generate. My, how times have changed.

30-Mar-20
When discussing a frontal to quartering to you shot ( which is being done here) it's good to know the difference as the arrow placement will vary according to the angle. This is all well & good if you have a calm demeanor to pull it off, thus meaning hit where you hope to. The frontal/quartering to you shot applies more pressure to the hunter as the target is smaller compared to other angles, plus the closeness & even desperate feeling can occur trying to pull it off. Many times the more inexperienced hunter will rush this shot or pull his bow arm out to get a quick look at where the arrow is hitting. This can happen on any shot for sure but the target here is much smaller.

I was hunting with a guy last year that had elk hunted for 13-14 years & had taken a couple of bulls in that time frame. We had taken the evening prior to going out & scanned over a bugle magazine that showed the many angles a hunter may face including a frontal shot, I did this as to prepare him, I felt confident he would do OK. Well, wouldn't you know it; I called in a nice 300+ bull to 17 yards, the bull came in screaming from the uphill side to my cow calling. I was 25 yards behind the shooter & my Son who were together. I saw the bull coming around a grove of 10' high willows, at 30 yards & still coming the bull bellowed loudly, I thought oh crap I hope he can handle the immediate adrenaline rush that was running through him at that instant. I see him come to full draw & unnoticed by the bull, the bull halts at 17 paces & at full frontal to the shooter as he stares my direction, I think oh ya dead bull & we're packing meat!

He releases & I see the bull bolt into the timber going uphill, I call immediately to stop him figuring he's hit hard. I look at the guys with heads hung low, I know it's not good. I walk up & they tell me the shot went 6'' to the left of the bull not touching a hair. I know crap happens. Point is it takes a steady hand & controlled nerves to pull this shot off. Those who feel they'll try it for the first time please be aware of this! Just food for thought!

ElkNut/Paul

31-Mar-20
given the options the top of B

• Sitka Gear