onX Maps
Anyone ever try shooting their..........
Equipment
Contributors to this thread:
Rut Nut 25-Mar-20
casekiska 25-Mar-20
x-man 25-Mar-20
Rut Nut 25-Mar-20
JohnMC 25-Mar-20
Medicinemann 25-Mar-20
Rut Nut 25-Mar-20
JohnMC 25-Mar-20
Rut Nut 25-Mar-20
Shawn 25-Mar-20
Rut Nut 25-Mar-20
cnelk 25-Mar-20
Rut Nut 25-Mar-20
oletrapper 26-Mar-20
Mailman 05-Apr-20
APauls 06-Apr-20
Russ Koon 06-Apr-20
Rut Nut 06-Apr-20
25-Mar-20
…………….right handed bow left handed? or vice-versa?

I messed up my shoulder real good. Been trying to rest it for months, but no improvement. Actually bought and used a crossbow in late season, but I really want to get back to the compound. I am left handed and right shoulder will not let me hold and pull my bow. But I think I can shoot right handed. Thing is I don't want to spend anymore money right now since my bow is all set up just the way I like it.

SO my question is: would there be any problem shooting a left handed bow right handed? (P.S. I am used to shooting a rifle right handed, and don't have much of a difference as far as eye dominance, so I don't think that will be an issue) I am just trying to think of potential problems as far as mechanics go.

25-Mar-20
I had to switch to left handed while a shoulder injury healed. First time I tried to nock and arrow, handle a left handed bow, and do everything the "other" way I was all thumbs and super uncoordinated. Eventually I learned though, a year later I was back to right handed. By far, the most difficult issue to deal with was remembering which eye to use. I shot a lot of arrows off to the side while I struggled with remembering to use the correct eye.

25-Mar-20
Yes, the tricky part is avoiding the cable guard and cables without torquing the bow.

25-Mar-20
Thanks guys. I wondered about that x-man...………...

25-Mar-20
I left hand and have shot some right handed bows left hand it doable but not great.

I broke my left shoulder a few years ago. I put a mouth tab on a bow and shot it that way. Work better than you would think. The bow I was shooting need to be a little shorter. If you want more info on doing that let me know. I may have video of me shooting it I can find. You can pull more weight than you would think and it can be very accurate. You would still need a right handed bow since it is your right shoulder messed up.

25-Mar-20
Using a peep sight would help reduce/remove the challenge of eye dominance.....like x-man stated, cables, strings, and torque would be a bigger issue. I experimented with a mouth tab once, like JohnMC did....and it worked well, as long as your poundage isn't too high.

25-Mar-20
OK- thanks. Now that I think about it, I might have a right handed compound I could try. If it works, I could just switch my accessories over to that bow. We'll see ……………………….

25-Mar-20
I don't think your left hand accessories with work out a right handed bow at least the sight and rest.

25-Mar-20
Good point! My sight is right OR left since it is a Cobra single pin slider. I just turned it upside down so the pin comes down from the top for left hand. Just have to turn it the other way for right hand. Will probably have to get a right hand whisker biscuit though. If that's all I need, I could handle that.

25-Mar-20
Just buy a 300 dollar package bow that is left handed. Killed 2 of my best bucks with a borrowed left handed bow due to a separated shoulder. Shawn

25-Mar-20
Well, can’t pull with my right arm- even worse than pulling with left. So that idea is a NO GO! : (

On the bright side, I was able to pull (at least twice) left handed. So I might be able to hunt with the compound bow this Fall after all.................at least until it gets cold. (That’s when the problems started last year). So little more optimistic than I was a few days ago.

25-Mar-20
I knew a guy that pulled his RH bow lefthanded. Due to the different pull style, the string derailed from the cams.

YMMV - Be safe

25-Mar-20
Yeah, thanks cnelk- I’ve given up on that idea. Gonna try going back to left handed and just limit my shooting.

26-Mar-20
Never tried it, but I did switch from right handed bows to left handed bows about 13 years ago. I have successfully killed animals with left and right handed compounds and left and right handed longbows and recurves. But, still my natural instinct is to pull the bow with my right hand. Not sure that will ever change.

05-Apr-20
Just put it in the other hand and shoot it. The grip is usually not that comfortable, but thats about the only problem.

06-Apr-20
Just turn it upside down and you're good to go.

06-Apr-20
Check out Hickory Creek Archery. Jerry Goff has a conversion kit that looks like a very good answer to a temporary or permanent shoulder problem in overcoming draw weight. It's around $200 and is a quick bolt-on and setup, and usable as either just a draw aid for continued use by the current shooting hand or switching sides in that is needed.

06-Apr-20
Thanks for the link, Russ. But now that I know I can still pull my bow(left handed) until it gets cold, I will go that route. And when it starts to get cold, if I have problems pulling it I will just switch to the crossbow. I have no problems using a crossbow now, If needed. Just glad to find out I can still pull it!(vertical bow)

Apauls- LOL! : )

• Sitka Gear