Ambush 20-Jun-20
Kurt 20-Jun-20
BULELK1 22-Jun-20
Snoowy 04-Nov-21
Heat 04-Nov-21
bighorn 04-Nov-21
bighorn 04-Nov-21
25-Mar-20
What's a good 3 person tent. Thinking about a Kifaru Teepee, any other models that would be better?

25-Mar-20
What are you going to me using it for? At truck or backpacking in? Time of year? Do you want a floor? Do you want room to move around/stand up or just enough room to sleep comfortably on a pad?

25-Mar-20
A guy needs about 5 tents. Intended use will allow people to help you out best.

25-Mar-20
If you are looking for a Kifaru teepee for three guys, buy at least the 8 man tent. I have two Seek Outside teepees and love them. Very similar to Kifaru. Great tents but the four man is small for two men and some gear and the Redcliffe is about right for two men and gear. They are floorless and light as a feather when weight is critical. If you are truck camping, a canvas tent is hard to beat in my opinion. If you go with a Kifaru or Seek Outside, be sure to get a liner.

25-Mar-20

76aggie's embedded Photo
76aggie's embedded Photo
Picture of the two Seek Outside teepees.

25-Mar-20
Will be by truck Sept. Oct. stand up in, floor opt., comfort a plus.

25-Mar-20
12x12 Cabelas Alaknak. I have the Bighorn and its fine but liked the Alaknak better.

25-Mar-20
plus one on the Alaknak and get the vestibule.

25-Mar-20

deadeye's Link
I have one of these. Great tent. Super heavy.

25-Mar-20
I have a couple 16'x16' Army tents in the crate if you're interested. Stove Jack and all ready to go. 1x & 2x frame and you're good. $500 each.

25-Mar-20
I got a 12’ x 12’ Alaknak I’ll be selling this spring. Downsized to a 10’ x 10’ Kodiak, which is warmer and more portable.

25-Mar-20
10x14 Kodiak Canvas.

26-Mar-20

BULELK1's Link
I've had really good luck/fortune with this tent set-up.

Good luck, Robb

26-Mar-20
If by truck, get something like a Kifaru 8 man Tepee that has a stove since you can easily bring wood to burn. Get a cot and tell your buddies to as well, add a cheap sleeping pad and you'll be set.

26-Mar-20
Go with the Kodiak, one person set up in less than 8 minutes, for $500.00 you can't go wrong. I love mine.

26-Mar-20
Agree with kodiak canvas. Mines been great.

26-Mar-20

South Farm's embedded Photo

26-Mar-20

26-Mar-20

26-Mar-20

26-Mar-20
Sewed a stove jack in mine and use a 3-dog model wood stove made by Don Kevilus of Four Dog Stoves. (DAMN awesome stove for what it's worth!)

10x14 with a stove is the bomb for two guys, three in a pinch...or if she's really good looking...IF you can drive to within 100' of your campsite; it's HEAVY. As far as I'm concerned Kodiak Tents are one thing that comes from China that ISN'T junk. They are very well constructed and heavy duty. I've been hailed on, rained on, snowed on, and blown on (can you say that here?) and she's weathered it all!

26-Mar-20

JLeMieux's Link
Another vote for Kodiak, ours has been great. We picked up a Luxe Megahorn XL last year and it would work well for 3 and a stove. Haven't used it in bad weather or with a stove yet. Much lighter than the Kodiak.

26-Mar-20
If it’s truck camping, there are lots of great choices for warm and dry. My criteria would be a double walled nylon type tent or a canvas wall or Kodiak tent.

28-Mar-20
How well do those Kodiak tents hold up in high winds?

28-Mar-20
Tilzbow, I have a 10x10 I use for solo hunts. When I first got it, I set it up in my yard to 'season' the canvas per the instructions and left it up a couple days. We had a heck of a storm come through while I was at work with extreme straight line winds that had trees and limbs knocked down all over town. I ran home after the storm fully expecting the tent to be on the neighbor's property across the road. Amazingly, it was fully intact and sitting right where I left it. No leaks, either.

28-Mar-20
Couple years ago in CO, my brother and I were hammered by a storm. relentless rain, hail, and driving wind (don't know the wind speed - guessing some of the gusts were upwards of 60mph??). The Kodiak was flawless - no leaks, it did bounce a few times in the wind, but held up great.

28-Mar-20
Holds up excellent in wind.

28-Mar-20
Lots of good info. Thanks!

28-Mar-20
Great to know, thanks!

28-Mar-20
I have one of Uncle Sam’s 10 man arctic squad tents; heated it with a woodstove that I cobbled together from a .50 BMG ammo can with a little help from the local muffler shop. Absolutely overkill for one guy, but it was kind of handy to be able to drag a National Forest Service Picnic table inside of it when I made my annual trek to the north shore of Lake superior for the salmon and grouse surf and turf season. That second week of October up there is something that everyone should experience at least once!

I did have to trash the stove eventually, but I still have that tent around here somewhere... LOL

Of course it was never intended to be moved around or set up by one person, but I could get it looking presentable and heated up inside in under an hour, anyway...

For cold weather, though, you really need the liner.

29-Mar-20

Tony Phillips's embedded Photo
Tony Phillips's embedded Photo
I have had this 14x14 Don Strinz pyramid tent since 2006.

29-Mar-20
Nice chair, Tony. :-)

29-Mar-20
Midwest, thanks my son's friend used a CNC machine and made me a couple for Father's Day.

03-Apr-20
Inshart said what I was going to say...huge wind, sleet, rain, 6" of hail...Kodiak stood tall, didn't leak, and became the new home for the guys that brought a nylon tent! On a sidenote...that hail was awesome for packing coolers of elk meat, very dry, not so much as a cup of water in the coolers when we got back home to Minnesota.

03-Apr-20
How about a wall tent if you are truck camping. Internal frame with a wood stove, just like a cabin if staked down correctly.

03-Apr-20
Ding ding Wytex if you’re setting a base camp at the truck I cannot think of a single reason not to use a wall tent with internal frame and a wood stove. The bomb proof Fort Knox of elk camps?

03-Apr-20
The main reason I wouldn't like a wall tent and wood stove is when it becomes necessary to move camp. With my Kodiak and camp set up, I can have camp torn down, loaded, and be on the road in an hour when I'm solo.

04-Apr-20
+1 Midwest, if ya gotta move, ya wanna be quick about breaking down camp, travelling to new spot and setting it up again all in 1 day.

South Farm, that is 1 sweet set-up ya got there!

Good luck, Robb

06-Apr-20
Thanks, and I'll second what Midwest said...very quick set up and takedown with the Kodiaks...and ONE GUY can do it by himself in about five minutes. I love wall tents too, any canvas tent for that matter, but a wall tent can't be set up or torn down in five minutes by one guy.

07-Apr-20
You're right about the setup and take down on a wall tent. It cab be done by one person, but not easily. Takes us about 1 hr to get camp completely set with everything in the tent. Those tee pees look really nice for a quick camp.

07-Apr-20
I can set up a wall tent solo in 20 minutes if it has an internal frame. Add 20 to tarp it and completely secure everything. An hour total to install the floor, woodstove table and cots. I can tear it all down in 1/2 an hour. Worth every minute. It’s a house!

07-Apr-20
We have a one and a two man MSR NX Hubba and Hubba Hubba. Decent backpack tents for 3 and 4#s.

Our truck/fly-in/quad-in tent is a Cabelas 8-man Alaskan guide tent with aluminum poles and the large old style vestibule. Good tent.

We also have a Cabelas “truck-tent”. You set the tent up on the ground and back the truck topper under one side. Attaches around the topper window and box for a decent seal. Cook on the tailgate and have a fair bit of room in the tent. Easy to drive away and seal the tent up like a door too. Decent for what it is. Not sold anymore though last time I checked.

07-Apr-20
Love my 10X10 Kodiak, perfect for solo with all the comforts or with a buddy. My Buddy Heater kept it warm last trout season down into the 30's in the AM. Set-up is quick after a couple times having it how you want. Heck, might as well set it up today and air it out while I burn some meat on the grill and shoot the bow...

24-Apr-20

Alista's embedded Photo
canvas safari tent for camping
Alista's embedded Photo

Alista's Link
I don't know what you want to do. If you want to build a temporary glamping site in the wild. Then I think you recommend the safari tent. You can decorate your tent according to your needs. The 32 sqm space can fall into The bathroom, kitchen, stove, sofa, and a bunk bed.

24-Apr-20

Alista's embedded Photo
Alista's embedded Photo

Alista's Link
I don't know what you want to do. If you want to build a temporary glamping site in the wild. Then I think you recommend the safari tent. You can decorate your tent according to your needs. The 32 sqm space can fall into The bathroom, kitchen, stove, sofa, and a bunk bed.

24-Apr-20
I am physically unable to elk hunt unless there is a standing floor lamp in my tent. Nice to see someone gets it.

24-Apr-20
They could have done better with the hardwood floors

20-Jun-20

Beendare's embedded Photo
Beendare's embedded Photo
So many options depending on what you are doing....and admittedly, I have most of them- grin

I like the Tipis as a lightweight backcountry solution...but prefer a Wall tent with internal aluminum frame as a base camp.

20-Jun-20

Ambush's embedded Photo
14X14 Eena TT from Beckle Canvas In Oregon.
Ambush's embedded Photo
14X14 Eena TT from Beckle Canvas In Oregon.
Kind of a hybrid between tipi and wall tent. Single pole, easy set up. Fly can be set up separately. Way more room than a tipi and less head space than a straight hi-wall tent.

20-Jun-20
I'll vouch for Ambush's Eena TT being a very good tent for quad-in or for truck camping, and would work for a fly-in basecamp very well too as the weight and size reasonable. With the wood stove he built its a great tent to come back to after a wet cold day in October in northern BC!

22-Jun-20
That's pretty kool bowman and it doesn't break the bank$$

Thanks for the link,

Robb

04-Nov-21
Large tents with a stove are great but not suitable for short hikes. Of course, it's always best to take a tent with a stove in winter, but other times it's better to have one more tent with a screen from https://campfinest.com/best-camping-tents-screen-porch/, which you can easily take with you, and it'll not weigh much on your luggage. Also, don't forget to bring plenty of warm clothes just in case and warm sleeping bags. I remember a case where a friend of ours took a spring sleeping bag with him in the fall, and because of that, he was lying at home with a high fever.

04-Nov-21
If I'm sticking around for a week or more I really like my 12x14 Canvas Wall tent by Davis Tent. Great value and very comfortable. I have a basic dome style tent with straight walls for summer camping. Someday I may look into a teepee for ultralight and quick move options. I think a 6 man would be just about right for 2 with stove and gear.

04-Nov-21
Kodiak it goes up and down pretty easy and quick. Well made roomy.

04-Nov-21
Kodiak it goes up and down pretty easy and quick. Well made roomy.

• Sitka Gear